Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Pierson posted:

Do any of the High Elf starts (mortal empires or vortex, don't mind which) have me fighting a broad selection of the other races? Or at least don't have me fighting exclusively other High/Dark Elves? I really enjoyed Tomb Kings but by the end was kind of sick of just fighting mirror matches.

In a similar vein, is there a difference to how many places each faction can settle without climate penalties? If so, which faction can settle the most places? I'm sick of being at war with people when I'm just going to suffer for occupying their land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

If said unshielded units are great frontline units, another option is to stagger your frontline, like

- _ - _ -

Where " - " is a shielded melee unit and " _ " is an unshielded unit like Har Ganeth Executioners and such. Protects them slightly vs ranged yet they get to fight in the thick of it.

Does anyone bother with shielded units in the latter game? I'm doing a Hellebron campaign atm, and my armies are all black guard and executioners, swords and spears don't cut it

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
So I confederated Morathi for 290k gold, and I guess she spent all the money on whores during the change of administration, but now that I have her, I can't put her on Sulephet, or give her her magic items, and the quests arenn't available, and appear to have been completed. Is this a bug or a feature, and is there a mod to get around it?b

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

E: would also like to see more variability in garrisons, leveling heroes in garrisons, and the ability to add heroes to garrisons, but that's just me dreaming.

This so much, it's discrimination that my garrison death hag who defeated Karl Franz or Tyrion doesn't get the trait

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Azran posted:

If I kill Manfred's faction playing as the Von Carnstein, will I lose access to him? I see people talking about him getting unlocked after reuniting the entirety of Sylvania but I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen?

What you can do, is cause a revolt in the factions home province, and let them take the city. This should revive the faction. It's how I got Morathi back.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Agean90 posted:

i just found out that if you make boris todbringer spymaster it changes the title it gives him lmao

I just found out that if you genocide the High Elves as Hellebron, you get control of the free army every death night :) But it's full of swordsman and spearman :(

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Sasgrillo posted:

Having your provinces largely be unguarded wouldn't be so terrible if you could, like, build static defense structures at geographically opportune locations

The amount of chokepoints that are not quite blocked by settlements really gave me the shits as dark elves. Not much point having settlements on the edge of the chaos wastes if beastman hordes can just stroll right past them

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I've mentioned it before but C&C was the only time I've seen single-model monsters and characters that aren't Grimgor or vampires get hundreds of kills in melee on the regular, so that alone is worth the price of admission for me since I'll be damned if a setting as fantastic and epic as Warhammer Fantasy doesn't have dudes getting Dynasty Warrior kill counts.

Maybe for like 5th edition characters should be churning through multiple units, but 8th ed they weren't that powerful. I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of standard bearers, champions, musicians, and embedded characters. I miss dooting skeletons

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Azran posted:

Come on everyone, it's obviously Albion

Yeah, it's Albion. Mentally overlaying it with the map of the old and new worlds, it's in the right place, up and to the right of Ulthuan, and left of the empire.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I say just make it a movable walled settlement that enemies can't build siege engines for. Suddenly it isn't so vulnerable to getting jumped and actually having to deal with enemy black arks becomes a serious issue.

I would be giving the attackers some sort of artillery from off map to represent their ships bombarding the ark.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Maybe instead of boat vs boat fights we get full on Battle at Red Cliffs style boat smash up battlefields.

Surely the boar vs boar fights are close enough though? It could be that a typo is the whole reason naval fights aren't in.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Amoxicilina posted:

I've been pondering the implementation of dogs of war/TEB/southern realms for a while now, and the more I think about it, the less and less likely I think they'll be in game 2. Indeed this new dlc pretty much seals my mind up about it

Speculation time:

Game 3 doesn't have its own separate 'vortex' campaign because seriously, why bother? Not only does having separate campaigns take additional dev time and not only is the entire point of the trilogy being one massive world-spanning brawl, but it clearly limits what dlc they can offer. Additionally, that could perhaps make it so people that only own game 1 and 3 or only game 2 and 3 or only game 3 could still play the same campaign and wouldn't put an unnecessary wrench in the cog of dlc possibilities.

All game 2 dlc has to fit on the vortex map. Estalia, Tilea and the Border Princes are all obviously not there, but shoehorning 'their presence' as the new world colonies and sartosa alone feels incredibly hacky when it could be given much more justice if CA wasn't limited to the dumb vortex campaign.

I predict two Mortal Empires campaigns, one with the full map and 20 minute end turn times, and one with a much smaller map and shorter end turn time.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

any hopes/speculation of seeing a unique roster of living infantry + sea monsters may be dashed. Hopefully CA shows Aranessa tomorrow!

If the silver princess is an LL and a lahmian
we could still get a mix of living and dead. lahmians traditionally have numbers of enthralled mortals with them.

Anyone know when the stream sale ends? I'm desperately trying to farm enough raider creates in PUBG to afford this.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Also Aranessa looks pretty great so we're already at the point where I'm struggling to pick between three starting LLs when the DLC drops and we haven't seen number 4 just yet so I might be in for the hardest decision I've had playing this game.

Just pick the one with the biggest tits, that's what I live my life by and it's never steered me wrong.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

jokes posted:

There's at least the Phantom of the Opera-style Strigoi ghoul dude for an Undead LL, etc.

Now we can be sure CA will include Border Princes just so they can cram one more vampire lord into this game.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Warhammer canon really only exists to justify why any faction might fight any other faction at any given time. It is literally entirely about making all your cool action figures miniatures fight just to see who would win.

Isn't that the definition of any piece of fiction? It exists to introduce entities and create conflict between them.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Plavski posted:

Your rose coloured glasses are not remembering the massive administration nightmare that was. So ridiculously tedious, expensive and unengaging. The move to auto-garrisons you can buff up with your own armies is absolutely a move for the better.

I miss not being able to make armies without lords, that's something that really shits me about TWWH

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Eimi posted:

I agree, they should have the game specific maps in each game (to keep up with new systems upgrades/factions), but the big world wide map SHOULD be by necessity not as detail filled as the smaller region maps. It should be about the big campaign level of the Warhammer world, with less chaff in the way of getting set up, and going to fight different races.

Why not do all three? have a game specific map, have a mortal empires scaled map, and have the three game specific maps combined? If I have a beast pc and am willing to wait for longer turn times, why wouldn't I want to play a hugely detailed campaign?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Also lmaoing a bit at these people advocating for less war in a total war game :) What's next, COD: UN Peace Keeping, The Sim?

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 25, 2018

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wonder if we'll see araby at all

Considering the chaos theme of twwh3, and the parts of the map left unoccupied, I think Chaos Dwarves, Araby, Ogre Kingdoms, and Chaos Daemons are almost guaranteed

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Kislev will probably poo poo all over Chaos and Norsca because they're all horse archers and cavalry, and those factions can keep up.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im wondering if they will do all 4 chaos gods at release, cause thats a looot of factions if you want some non-chaos poo poo on top of that

edit: although it would be extra weird to release certain chaos gods as dlc factions

Each chaos faction only has 3 or 4 daemon types plus a hero and lord. there's the base infantry, cavalry, beasts, and big beasts. I could see that being a single faction

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 28, 2018

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Sure but his motivation is somewhat more complex than Archaon's "destroy the world to make my dad sigmar mad"

"destroy the world to make my dad/sigmar mad" is literally the entire justification for the horus heresy. the primarchs are just indominus Rex's that thought the emperor feeding them was their dad, even though that sentiment was never returned

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

While a concept of 40k is that every faction has its own mythology that disagrees with every other, the books have over-explained the beginning of the central conflict (and I'm sure other things), ruining that if you care about those things. This worked better as an age of fallen heroes best described by fresco painting. To make the much more mundane plotting required of a Horus Heresy book series (and other properties) make any sense, it has turned out that the benevolent god-emperor was not benevolent, a god, or even much of an emperor. More of a colossal doodyhead, really.

What books were you reading, by all accounts the emperor was working towards freeing mankind from the warp and the fate of the eldar. An almost omniscient being shouldn't waste their time explaining themselves to creatures that can't understand. The emperor rejecting a position of the father figure for the primarchs is not justification for throwing the imperium into chaos and civil war.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The emporer being a lovely dad is kind of a 40k-meme at this point. But the whole Horus Heresy could probably have been avoided if the Emporer hadn't treated the Primarchs as lesser creatures whose only purpose is to follow orders unquestioningly and instead sat down with them and explained things.

This is kind of the problem though. The Primarchs aren't equipped to understand things. Even Magnus, who probably was the most capable, was so woefully inadequate he caused more damage than any other being during the heresy trying to warn the emperor. The primarchs simply should not have had the curiosity to wonder what the emperor was doing, or think of a life outside of war. This was given to them when they were distributed by chaos, and the emperor made the decision to try his plan anyway.

Explaining his actions to the primarchs would be like me explaining my bank account choice to a dog.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
From a performance view point, is higher clock speed, or more cores better for total war games? Does it parallelise well?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Dramicus posted:

If you are at a resolution above 1080p, there's no difference between the high-end processors; the main limiting factor will be your GPU. Intel will have a 10-15% advantage at 1080p and below.

Does this count for turn times as well? They seem like they would be cpu intensive.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Grognan posted:

giant turkey mount when?

Cockatrices have been a thing since 5th ed where I think they were a mount for chaos and empire dudes

All I really want from TW3 is the chance to take Valkia and Sigvald from chaos marauder to chaos lord, with a quest into the wastes to change from settlement to horde faction.

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 1, 2018

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Cardiac posted:

The Ogre army book is relatively new and didn’t exist when I stopped playing WHFB (new as in 20 years ago).
Given the illustrations of ogres, my question is whether WH ogres (in this format) predates the super mutants from Fallout3? Ie who stole from whom?

Neither. Ogre Kingdoms are fat Mongolians. The only similarity with super mutants is that both are big humans.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Have I missed something or are there no new units being released with Lokhir? Is there even anything missing from dark elves roster except maybe Mengele's Manflayers RoR?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Personally I want the opportunity to play as some of the exalted Norse characters, Valkia, Sigvald, Vilitch, Festus, from their Norse days, all the way through to Chaos Warrior/Daemon-hood. I think it'd be really nice for the TWWH3 campaign to include a nice jaunt through a fairly expansive realm of chaos, north of Norsca, with a quest battle that transforms the LL to a chaos warrior, and the norse settlement faction to a norse/chaos warrior/daemon horde faction. Even better would be the option to do this with an unnamed norse lord. Seems like a good way to make otherwise boring daemons a playable faction, and recapture the horde feel the 5th edition chaos forces had, where daemon warriors and beastmen could be fielded as part of the same army.

For chaos dwarfs, I imagine the campaign objective would be to acquire some sort of, "Hat of Hashut"

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Dramicus posted:

If I remember correctly, they featured a matchup of High Elves vs Space Marines and the High Elves won. The marines chewed through the High Elf army using conventional weapons, but the High Elves ended up winning through magic.

I certainly remember Dark Elves vs High Elves, with the high elf general using some bullshit cloak and a great weapon to one shot chariots, but not High Elves vs Space Marines, at least not in WD

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

Pro tip: keep them in guard mode and the ones in back will keep shooting even in melee.

That's nice to know, I've previously been taking my gunnery mobs out of guard mode because they seem to stop sitting when people start fleeing.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Why does everyone hate Kemmler? They're I was minding my own business fighting Brettonia, and some pirates, a roaming faction, the Varg, and Middenheim declared war on me and started to gently caress my poo poo up

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Raygereio posted:

No, the colour is what throwing me off.

Maybe I'm just too tired to see it, but I do not understand why the solution is red-3, when blue-3 also seems to qualify. Or can you only pick from the colours that are already on the board?

I would have thought blue 4 dots. The line, "never liked to repeat himself"

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I've got a weird problem where I don't have any available trade routes with anyone in the world. I'm playing as the Barrow Legion and I've got most of Brettonia under control plus Marienburg. But apparently there are no routes to any capital cities? I thought maybe it was because I was at war with this pirate stack that was wandering around off my coast but I just killed them and I still can't trade with anyone.

I have a similar issue, I can't trade with Mousillon even though we are right next to each other, I don't have the trade icon for any faction.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Any tips for dealing with wood elves as Barrow Legion? Cos I'm taking athel loren, and its some WWI poo poo right here

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Did you try using more skeletons?

I did. In the end I had 5 stacks seiging Durthus 1, and still had to wait for attrition to give me better than 50% auto resolve odds. Its nice that the World tree, and galleons graveyard give immunity to types of attrition though.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Anyone thinking that instead of adding new mechanics, like blood kisses, the empire will just get a shitload of legendary lords, since they're pretty much the baseline race around which all other races are modified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Eimi posted:

How is she unimmersive?

I think people dislike her because she's forge world original, and the stuff forge world made was pretty commonly over powered on tt. the only lady from Nuln i care about is Emanuel von Leibewitz