Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Steam says about 1500 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
According to that old campaign map preview, there are at least 2 dark elf factions starting on the circular island-- one near to Tyrion (his version of the Empire Secessionists, I guess), and one up north.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So I've got two stacks holding back the Delves while Mazdamundi wraps up the eastern half of Lustria (Teclis somehow conquered it, and he will just not gently caress off). I beat an army of 12 hydras (and eight other units). The next turn, Morathi comes out of the fog with another full stack. This one has eight hydras in it. loving elves.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Comstar posted:

How do Lizardmen deal with Skaven? They route and I can't catch them, and their gutter runners are faster that my skirmish troops.

You don't have cav yet? Let their crap units run and reform, you'll just beat them again the second time, and the third. Once the melee core goes, the ranged units tend to break as well. It's irritating, but if you ignore their ranged stuff and focus on beating the rest they can't really stop you.

Still going on with my initial Mazdamundi campaign. I've got three stacks holding back the eternal dark elf hordes, while the other three evict the high elves from Lustria. I guess afterwards I'll cross over to the southlands to help out the Last Defenders, who are hanging in there against the HElf blob. One of the final lizard techs DOUBLES income from their main econ building, it's a lifesaver. The skaven died off around turn 80, everywhere, completely, I kind of miss them. I get the feeling they're going to be this game's greenskins: competitive in multiplayer, but useless in the hands of the campaign AI.

I hated doing it, but I cancelled the alliance and killed off the New World Colonists. They were amazingly successful and managed to conquer the entire western half of Lustria while I was occupied with securing the isthmus and beating up the DElves. They just had so much land, and it was so easy to take it...

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

Playing this my first Total War game. Lizards on Normal. I took both Norse occupied settlements. Public order got bad. Dark Elves and Skaven declared war on me simultaneously. While I was sitting my newest Ziggurat, a two unit Norse dude rocked up and 'encircled' my massive army and main dude, and for some reason that means I can't use them. I made a new lord and built him a small army to waltz over and relieve him. Immediately ambushed by a 20 unit Skaven war party. More Skaven appeared by my capital. They went into rebellion because of a military presence. Some other army appeared from the jungle.

I'm just going to re-load. What's the advice for sieging? Seems crazy that I can't just walk out my front door and attack. Was I just not seeing an option or something?

Could it be you left your army in march stance? They can't initiate fights like that, even if it's a new turn and they have all their movement points.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do I need to start a new campaign to lower unit size? I've tried reloading and quitting and restarting the game but nothing changes. It sucks because magic is way too weak on ultra size and I'm playing spell caster lords.

I'm afraid so, unit size is set when the campaign begins. "Large" is generally considered to be the balanced size in terms of magic.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Lizard cold one riders don't have rampage (but Horned Ones do).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright, my lizardman hellwar is starting to turn around. I've secured Lustria (except for the other friendly lizardmen, who I'll confed when I'm good and ready, and the southern dwarves, who had better not loving try anything). I've mostly kicked the high elves out of the southlands, although the eastern dwarves have also declared war on me (they were allied to some roving band in the middle of the desert who wardecced me randomly). My two northernmost settlements were at one point besieged by FIVE dark elf stacks, but I've since been able to push them out, and go back up to three defensive stacks, which makes things easier. I've only completed three rituals, and I probably won't bother with the last two.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I have a hard time getting heroic victories in this game. Either I beat them with my army intact, in which case it's Decisive, or I get chewed up (which means the army needs to replenish for two turns, and maybe replace a couple saurus), and get Pyrrhic.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I believe Legendary Lords get the first two steps of a spell upgrade combined into one step, as a way to make mage lords better than normal magicians.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What exactly triggers murderous prowess? A number? A proportion? Kills, or health?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I love how the new world colonists solely exist to be a pet nation for Mazdamundi to look after, then, on the last day of his training, they give him a gun and order him to kill the dog.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got a lizard named Ss'impssyn.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Does the AI suffer attrition from Morathi's chaos corruption? It seems to not do anything to defend my lands.

On every difficulty the AI receives significant immunity to most forms of attrition. You can mod it out.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ibblebibble posted:

It should be possible to get achievements post-victory right? Swear I should have triggered some but haven't seen a pop-up.

Some of the achievements seem to be screwed - I should have gotten the ones for building the Black Pyramid of Nagash, and the special lizard building that goes in Itza, but they didn't proc. Also apparently 0% of the playerbase has either one.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Aurubin posted:

Wonder what the Ogre mechanic will be since they used "food" for the Skaven.

Can't think of an overarching one, but I like the idea of Ogre maneaters being heroes whose traits are explained as a function of who they're trying to emulate. Throw in a rare Slann maneater and give them ruination of cities.

When your food level is high, all ogre units receive a debuff to speed, but a buff to charge bonus and HP.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SickZip posted:

I keep not finding this thread because I foolishly look for the word Warhhamer when Im looking for the thread about the game called Warhammer.

Use bookmarks my dude, they're a way of life.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah, I just tried one and didn't have much success on it. Went over, fought the nearest greenskins so as to end that terrible event, and then was stuck just... flailing a bit. Beastmen and Skaven running around in Estalia, my neighbors to the north not really caring what I do, and the wood elves constantly declaring war but doing nothing. I eventually ate dirt on a skaven ambush after about 35 turns and decided to call it a night. Never played the Lady before but I clearly have a lot to learn about what to do with Brettonia.

Cancelling the Greenskin event is kind of a trap choice. It's better to ride it out, maximising your settlement's unhappiness to start (and then kill) a revolt every single turn. This will give your starting force a tonne of XP, and heaps of chivalry, esp if you beelined the tech that rewards you for beating orcs.

Of course, ~optimal play~ might not necessarily be fun for you, in which case you might be better off trying a different leader or faction.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I doubt TK will be released any time before December. How far in advance did they advertise the Beastmen and Wood Elves, before release? I think it was like a month, maybe even less than that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It was always there.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Total War: The Second Rome, about the eastern empire surviving through the middle ages.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Go full whatever the name of the ninja clan was in Shogun 2 and give stealth to every unit.

The Rattori.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yes. I believe they introduced that because people were making heaps of threads about technical problems that (they did not realise) were caused by mod conflicts.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

uber_stoat posted:

if I'm someone who really likes Total Warhammer and it's the only Total War I've played, would it be worth it to pick up Attila and some of the DLC in this sale?

If you're interested in other TW, you should consider Shogun II first. It's got a really straightforward, stripped-down design, and some excellent DLC (including a full-scale 1860s campaign, with gatling guns and naval bombardments and so on). Attila is... good, but with caveats. It's badly optimised, the building system is extremely complicated (every building has at least five outputs to manage), the general tone of the campaign is very harsh and unforgiving.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How have I played this game since release and not noticed the icon to the left of the units numbers show if a unit is large or small :psyduck:

Since we're doing this, how do you actually see the overcast costs for spells? I've been playing since release and have just winged it this far.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Got back into this game after a few months. I've hit a campaign-ending bug about 60 turns in. I can't move any of my units, can't end the turn, can't save. I've tried reloading from earlier in the campaign, and disabling all mods (just a couple tweaks anyway), tried having my units in different places. No matter what, I get the same thing. The ticker in the bottom-right tells me "Lord not moved", but I just can't move my lord at all (Hellebron). I can still access diplomacy, settlement management, everything except this turn's notifications. Is there anything I can do, or is the whole thing just gone?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

Can you just skip the notification? That's what the arrow to the right of the end turn button does.

No, that's greyed out too, and disabling all notifications the turn before doesn't help either. This seems to be a bug that happens when you get two events on the same turn.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Frog Act posted:

I'm on turn 60 feeling like I've hit a bit of a wall, got all the sylvanias and the province next to it, and another place from Talablecland, all settled after beastmen destroyed them. I'm about to go to war with what's left of them, but in general, I'm having trouble generating income because of my standing armies and not being at war. I guess I should just start with eradicating the remaining non empire humans? It's just the attrition makes it hardish. Just do it slowly while corruption spreads?

The VC economy doesn't really take off until you get the high-tier blue buildings. You can avoid attrition in uncorrupted provinces by raiding as you go, but make sure to exit raiding stance if you're about to fight, because it leaves all your dudes tired at the start of the battle. Use lots of cheap units, and consider dropping back to a single stack--in an emergency, vampires can raise full armies faster than anyone else. Zombie/skeleton upkeep is about 1/3 of their recruitment cost, so if they're not going to fight in the next few turns, you might as well put them away. You can also inject cash into your economy by sacking cities-- the dwarven towns to your immediate east will drop about 5k each, if you're willing to fight dwarves for a while. Also it can be a good idea to burn those towns down after you sack them, so you don't have to live with the dwarves right next to you.

I would suggest you conquer west before you go north. The towns in the NE part of the empire are quite spread-out and hard to defend.

Also, the garrison chain of buildings adds walls to minor settlements. Build walls everywhere. Upgrade the walls in your major settlements. You will never regret building walls.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The first game runs better, has way fewer bugs, and has a clearer version of the climate system in which you (and the AI) just can't settle outside your habitat. You miss out on certain QoL changes (aiming Wind spells, all dragons having breath attacks, some revamped skill trees), and the prospect of fighting the Game 2 races. Also you can't play AS the game 2 races, of course.

Basically, if you want to play in the Old World, and don't mind the rest of the map not existing, you should play the first game--for now, at least.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

madmac posted:

the new Rome 2 Campaign pack

What the gently caress

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
When are they adding Canada to Thrones of Britannia?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I don't think I've ever gotten anything from a treasure hunt in this game, not even once.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

SHISHKABOB posted:

If I get level 1 in a Norscan god, will I lose it if I start razing for another god?

Yes, if you go back below 30 god points, you lose the tier benefit. Also, when you get a god to tier 3, you lose all benefits from the other gods.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Chrassyc Pa'ak

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly I'm impressed you managed to capture 600 skellies without them crumbling.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm still just playing around with Total Warhammer 1 on normal. I've beaten the Dwarf and Brettonian campaigns, I probably auto-resolve more than I should.

Just last night beat Eye for an Eye. There was an army that consisted of an Arch Lector and 19 mortars. Besides the map, are there any other differences with how the economy works? I had a lot of trouble getting a second army going.

I don't think so. The map is smaller, and you start in a corner, but other than that the Beastmen have all the same buildings, skills, and techs as the main campaign. I guess the chapter objectives (and the money they provide) would be different.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The other TW thread is here.

Anyway, yes, I believe you need to kill all of the challengers before the big Chaos invasion.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
IMO the orcs are a little incomplete without The King and the Warlord. That one also adds some cool new lords with difficult starting positions. The Grim and the Grave is cool, but not essential. Get it if you like playing Empire or Vamps.

The Chaos race pack was bad for ages, eventually got patched. It's now okay, although pretty monotonous. Beastmen are lots of fun. Wood Elves are kind of frustrating, it's really hard to get past the one-army threshold. OP in a fun way later on, though. Norsca is fun as hell, great roster with some really neat mechanics (harvesting the foreign lands for their gods instead of conquering them).
Basically, get the race packs if (or when) you plan on playing them, they make no difference if you're playing as the other factions. Beastmen and Wood Elves also include small standalone campaigns. There's not much to them.

Blood DLC adds gore. Get it if you want.

Also make sure you actually get all the free DLC, the implementation is kind of screwy, you need to tell Steam you want it like five times to make it stick.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Playing as Dark Elves on the Vortex map, I colonised one of the fortress gates, but I can't build anything there. The game still gives me the "Construction available" ping at the end of each turn, but there are just no options, and nothing in the building browser either. Is this an intended behaviour? I'm using a few mods, but nothing that should impact on building trees.