Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nephthys posted:

I have an idea for a playthrough as Good Guy Malekith. I'm going to try to make friends with the High Elves, bring Morathi to heel, unify Naggarond and then play mostly defense while sending out armies to crush Skaven and Chaos. I might even free the slaves.

It will be a redemption arc for the ages.

You'll still be running around with armies of bleakswords and dreadspears and painblades and shadowsongs and murderballads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I ride bikes all day posted:

Are there plans for Ogre Kingdoms, Tomb Kings, and Chaos Daemons? Tomb Kings are the only things even remotely as cool as Lizardmen.

There's a game 3 planned. With the exception of Tomb Kings those are likely all game 3. Tomb Kings probably will be the first DLC race for game 2.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Everyone should remember that you'll have to wait a while for the pre-loaded game files to be encrypted and unpacked and stuff.

This will be totally forgotten once the game unlocks and the thread will be flooded with complaints of install and such taking forever even though they pre-loaded.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A close victory huh? Looks more like a massacre than a battle to me.

Swordmasters went completely wild. And even the spearmen did pretty well, the unit with only 6 kills basically held down the old blood for the entire battle (who I essentially neutralized by having Teclis pop enfeebling foe on him).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Teclis's starting phoenix seems like quite the force multiplier. A mobile terror-causing platform with a melee debuff aura allows you to defeat superior enemies in many situations. Though I would say that starting lizard army on the great turtle isle is more of a big army, than it is a powerful army.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jesus, swordmasters are just completely bonkers versus infantry.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ditty bout my clitty posted:

poo poo, you have a replay of that?

Sorry, didn't think of that. Battle wasn't thaat exciting, I formed up a battle line, isolated the bastilladon, used overcast lifebloom on the swordmasters then engaged them. Swordmasters probably held up more than a quarter of their army by themselves and hardly took any casualties for as long as lifebloom was active. Should also be mentioned that I got the cloak of beards for my noble, who now causes fear and terror in addition to the phoenix.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 28, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Arranged to play a Helves v Delves MP campaign against a friend. Sounds like it could be quite fun and thematic, what with the more competetive nature of the vortex campaign. It will also make intervention armies more fun as one of us can step in to take command of them and such, should make for some interesting battles.

He's almost certainly going to be Malekith. I'm kind of wondering if I should pick Teclis (who I've been playing with a bit in SP) or Tyrion. I'm leaning towards Teclis, as he has a more interesting starting position (and swordmasters!), and this way Ulthuan will be more vulnerable to Dark Elf invasion and pretty much up for grabs (though I imagine I can confederate High Elf factions eventually).

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Anyone know if the coop campaign still has all the ritual stuff in it, or is it just straight conquering stuff like the first game's coop?

Oh poo poo. It better have the ritual stuff in it. At least the head-to-head campaign, which I think sounds much more interesting with this campaign.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

i don't think they let you do co-op as two different factions thanks to it breaking the way the vortex campaign works. i know, it's bullshit

They have head-to-head campaigns as well though? Warhams 1 had that. I don't want to play co-op.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This battle almost makes me sick...

Started early on with a general tactic of wanting to tie up the hellcannon in close combat with my phoenix (frostfang can really take a beating) in order to reduce casualties. Then the whole chaos army proceeded to gang up around my phoenix, since my army was still some distance away (grouping up with reinforcements), so when I got close enough I netted basically the entire thing then cast chain lightning (which got a whole load of kills) then got them into range of all my archers and lothern sea guard. Just a stone cold massacre. Swordmasters got into close combat with some chaos warriors but I cast regrowth on them so they didn't lose a man.

Jesus.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sedisp posted:

So for a high elf playthrough should i just be replacing my spearmen with sea boys or just use them to flank around when the line engages to rain arrows into dork elf butts? I cant imagine replacing my archers with them.

Well, seaboys with shields have better melee stats than spearelfs and benefit from the same lord skills and techs (and have their own techs) though they cost alot of upkeep compared to the spearelfs. Seems effective enough to just put them in the first line with archers forming up the second line. The amount of firepower such an army can put out is simply staggering and is not at the expense of melee capability. Spells and various tricks to keep the enemy in place can be useful in order to have the seaguard shooting for longer, but there is no real danger in committing them to melee in most cases as their stats are pretty decent with martial prowess active.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

At least versus the AI, a two line setup with seaboys and archers is just the epitome of Elf Bullshit.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Your ninjas shoot farther and move faster than Skinks, they're fine. The problem, at least for Queek, is getting killy units up in time to stop Kroq-gar's Swole Saurus Swarm because a single Warpfire Thrower and Rat Ogre unit aren't going to do poo poo against a lot of Saurus, much less Cold One cavalry and dinosaurs.

Going to put my Helf campaign on a little hold, as it seems that's who I'm going to be playing with my friend in multiplayer. How viable would it be to simply just get out a second stack as soon as possible and try to swamp the swole sauruses with numbers? Possibly try to exhaust them first with Skavenslaves then when they rout (as they are expendable they won't incur a morale penalty for the rest of the army) then move in with the rest of your army. Skavenslaves are like no upkeep at all, doesn't seem like that bad of a way to do it to me, though it might be a bit clunky wandering about with two armies supporting each other all the time.

Pierson posted:

I'm legitimately salty that the game seems fine with High Elves and Dark Elves being able to be friendly. I've had three Hard games ruined by Dark Elves calling on High Elf factions to join their war against me.

Also how are you all other High Elves getting your waystone fix? There doesn't seem to be that many you can grab on the starting islands, and the quests don't give many.

You basically have to go out and get them.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

someone go get a lizard or skaven over to helf land and take over a gate for me

i want to know what garrison you get

Just started a Queek campaign. Figured since people are saying lizards are so hard for the rats that I'm going to try to move as far north as possible and fight-beat the man-things and elf-things.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Load times don't seem to be longer than warhams 1. Though I've gotten used to them being long from that game, don't have an SSD. I mostly just read a book or something while playing.

I'm actually kind of enjoying the food mechanic for skaven. Makes things pretty hectic as you have to raid-pillage and loot-steal in all directions to stave of hunger-starvation. I've got 3 armies running around as Queek at the moment, and am kind of low on food at the moment because of the upkeep from the armies and the fact that I pumped food into Dawn's light to get it to level 3 so I could start building weapon teams as soon as possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

There's a lot of speculation they'll also be adding Araby.

Gonna guess the DLC/FLC races will be Khemri, Vampire Coast, Southern Realms (Tilea and Estalia based on Dogs of War stuff mostly, focused on the mega campaign and maybe game 1, with possibly New World Colonies being playable in the vortex campaign, though I can't really see how they would do vortex stuff) and Araby.

Also hoping for some new lords and such for the game 1 races in the mega campaign. Middenland/Ulrican units (Ulrican warrior priest, knights of the white wolf, huntsmen) for empire led by Boris Todbringer, Kurt Helborg as an Empire legendary lord. A Bretonnian crusader start. That kind of stuff.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I'm loving my HE campaign. Tyrion is total elfy bullshit if you max out his yellow chain, special yellow chain and the red bow powers.

I'd say Teclis dips much more into the elf bullshit when you're playing singleplayer. The AI has gotten into a tendency of blobbing up, particularly if you do something like try to tie them up with a single unit such as the frostheart phoenix. If you are lucky then you can net almost the entire army and then shoot them to bits, also overcasting regrowth on an elite unit you send into melee (such as swordmasters) so that they can cut through the enemy while talking minimal casualties.

Facing a ritual-spawned chaos army, I used this (caused the blobbing kind of accidentally as I really wanted to tie up their hellcannon, and didn't excect them to completely gently caress up) to destroy them utterly whilst taking 0 casualties. It was just sickening and embarassing Elf Bullshit.

e: I've got to say, having taken a look at all the races, that I really appreciate that their tech trees are laid out in matter that's very flavorful for the race. Particularly Skaven and Lizardmen.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 30, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

the high elf unique building chain in hag graef implies you use slaves >_> lazy ca

Forced labor. There clearly is a marked difference.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Brasseye posted:

Is there a good online resource for lore on these new races? They all seem really interesting but I dont know anything about them, or the Warhammer world.

1d4chan is usually decent enough for short, if often pretty stupd, summaries of stuff in warhammer and such.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I don't get the hatred for Queek's start. You get into the thunderdome with Krok'gar, which provides an interesting challenge of how to beat his saurus stack with your lovely clanrats. Then to the north you got lizards wood elves, greenskins, dwarfs, undead, empire, and brettonia. To the south the High Elves are liable to start raiding your coasts.

Like I get his start can be difficult but its rather interesting. And the vampires to the North in my campaign conglomerated in a giant empire which results in some fun and large battles.

I've just made a beeline for the weapon teams and storm vermin, that + vast numbers and judicious use of the menace below (really this is your substitute for cavalry in a way) seems to do the trick. Had a pretty great battle versus Kroq-Gar over Caverns of Sotek where I fielded some 4000 rats, including catapults, poison wind globadiers and warp-fire throwers. Manage to leverage my numbers + about 6 uses of menace below to pin his force down and maneuver the rest in behind them. Some 2000 Skaven had to die, but Kroq-Gar lost his Stegadon and half his army of swole Saurus boys. Peaced out with him though (for 3000 gold) as I'm going to go get Golden Tower (ritual currency) from Necrarch Brotherhood who have massively expanded southwards.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't know what everyone is talking about, Queek is lots of fun. I've specced him right into max +ambush and lightning strike and he's now like the most ingenious, rattiest strategist there ever was, ambushing and destroying enemies by the hundreds, clanrats bursting from the grund and heavily armored foes melted by warp-fire while monsters are killed by nerve gas. Loving it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also do skaven get attack ambush like beastmen? They sallied at me and it was an ambush somehow.

Skaven have a chance to ambush when attacking. This can be boosted in a general's blue line, it's pretty great.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Quetgar, buddy, are you feeling alright?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

¨

Hat Metal

I wonder if they'll change it so there are no longer any generic race name factions in the Mortal Empires campaign. In the vortex campaign, there are no "High Elves" or "Lizardmen" faction, and it would be kind of weird if we suddenly started having "Dwarfs" and "Greenskins" when we get to the Old World, rather than "Karaz-a-Karak" (or "Karaz Ankor"?) and whatever Grimgor's boys are called.

On that note I wonder if Teclis will be put in Ulthuan (leading Saphery or as a second legendary lord for Lothern maybe) or somewhere else, maybe close to the Old World. Queek almost certainly will start in Skavenblight or Karak Eight Peaks.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 2, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

On the flipside a swarm of fliers would gently caress up skaven good, given their lack of "archers."

Cause many casualties, yes. Not win a battle.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Surprisingly good auto-resolve odds for this battle, guessing that's the ambush pushing it in my favor. I want to fight this one manually though. Overalle strategy is to just keep pushing rats down the dragons' throats until they roll over and die.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

This has to be one of the prettiest armies ever assembled.

...It would be shame if something were to... happen to it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, that dragon battle went well enough. Not really had much use for it before, but used it to great effect to immobilize and focus-fire on the princess and then the other dragons with my warp-lightning cannons.

I feel Ratsure Cackle deserves a new name to honor his devious anti-dragon tactics.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

City defense as the Skaven is different. Basically, you can't really depend on your infantry to hold the walls effectively, particuarly against Kroq-Gar's posse of swole saurus boys. What you do have however are warlock engineers (warp lightning seems decently effective against untis blobbed up in close combat), artillery, menace below and the warp bomb ability. Seems like you basically want to do something more akin to guerilla fightning where you pull back into the settlement gradually rather than try and hold the walls or the gate or anything silly like that. Use menace below to tie down units moving into dangerous positions and when their health drops low and they are surrounded martyr them for the Horned Rat. It might also help to invest some food into some extra uses of menace below. I also found moving vanguard units like gutter runners and night runners outside the wall and skirmishing with the enemy effective as a delay to allow my towers as long of a window to fire on the enemy as possible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have we gotten any more details on the mega campaign, beyond the name and that it will be straight conquest?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

the province list came out. old world stays exactly as it was, bottom tip of notafrica and the western coasts of both Naggarond and Lustria get cut off, Hell Pit and Skavenblight become provinces in the old world.

You have a link to that?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What units do you use for armor piercing melee work for Skaven? They don't have a great weapon version of Stormvermin, only sword+board and Halberds. I suppose censer bearers fit the bill, since they have armor piercing, armor sundering, poison, and frenzy. Though they have like no armor so it seems you need to bog down units with slaves/Clan Rats and attack from behind with the censer bearers.

I've mostly fought against lizards, about to go fight some Bretonnians. But I find that warp-fire throwers, poison-wind globadiers (versus large), death-wind globadiers (versus infantry), rat ogres (pretty sure they are armor-piercing) and the lightning cannons (the raised gun platforms makes them amazing as they can fire over your lines) all work pretty great. That and numbers of course, and judicious use of menace below to disrupt, fix and enable me to envelop enemy forces.

I guess fighting dwarfs would be the ultimate test of whether or not your army can deal with armored units or not. Queek in the mega campaign is going to be pretty rad.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Data-miners have confirmed Skavenblight, Lahmia and Hell Pit for the Mortal Empires campaign.

Where's Lahmia and Hell Pit?

e: Also I've grown fond of this infantry formation for Queek's Stormvermin-heavy army.

S = Stormvermin G = Globadiers W = Warpfire Throwers
code:
    W
S S S S S
  G   G
Number of Stormvermin and Globadiers may vary, artillery goes behind, gutter runners and skirmishers go in front to skirmish, draw out and distract the enemy. chaff goes behind and slightly to the flank usually, for envelopments. When the enemy nears my line I usually pop menace below in their face which allows me to get a little fire out of my warp-fire throwers before I charge my Stormvermin in, then I usually have to find a gap or a flank to have them continue flaming, best is if I can deploy them slightly higher than where the engagement is as then they can just sit behind and keep on flaming (some stormvermin will die, but I have such good replenishment going now that they are largely expendable up to a point). Globadiers have a great arc to their throws and are in general just great to have behind your infantry line.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 2, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

The entire old world will need buffing or Skaven need deep nerfing. They would style over freaking everyone.

Only fitting for the supreme master race.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kanos posted:

What if we took the already incredibly powerful Vampire Counts and gave them even more freespawn units, the ability to raise dead anywhere on the map instantly for no winds cost, and also gave them the best artillery in the entire game without exception?

This is generally true across the new factions compared to the old ones, to be honest. Comparing the new caster LLs to the old ones is like comparing Goku to a mall cop.

They've already buffed up and reworked the LL caster lords in game 1, Balthasar Gelt and Kemmler were actually pretty damned good last time I played. The magic changes from WH2 are going to find their way in for the Game 1 races as well in the mega campaign, and, I think, in game 1.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm hoping for more Skaven clans in the old aside from just Clan Mors in Skavenblight. I guess one way to do it might be too have events that increase Skaven corruption as that causes Skaven to appear as rebels. Though Skaven being scattered around the map as is appropriate would also be great.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Jesus christ gently caress fighting elves in these games. It is so loving tedious especially in the early game when you flat out don't have units to catch enemy skirmishers.

It loving sucks

Are you lizards or skaven? As the skaven the answer to all your problems is always menace below.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I dunno. Empire is still pretty damned good, I think. And Chaos got quite a bit better with the last update and the addition of RoRs.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magic's super beefy dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

genghispawn posted:

This has pretty much been my experience. I can't take settlements because I usually have to autoresolve with two stacks, against half a stack of lizards, and then lose half my army. Same thing even if I don't autoresolve. It's really a back and forth campaign where I almost never take a settlement...then run out of food.

Get out something better than clanrats as soon as possible, I would recommend capping the first settlement at III and then going straight for the stormvermin and weapon team buildings, also get some plague claw catapults and when you have a capital at IV a warp-lightning cannon (they're super great). Also put points in the ambush skill for your lords, this lets you engage lizardman armies at terms much more favorable for yourself.