Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So a friend and I just got Total Warhammer 1 (way cheaper than 2) with the intention of playing co-op. We started our first game as Mannfred and Vlad, since they're the only aligned factions other than Brettonian ones that started kind of near each other. We'd rather not play with starting positions on the other side of the map, so is there really no way to pick adjacent factions if we don't want to be Vampires or Brettonia?

Related question, what is the command to hand over control of a unit in the battles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

New Butt Order posted:

Without mods and without paying for anything, decent co-op matchups where people start close together are:

Empire/Bretonnia
Bretonnia/Bordeleux/Carcassone (any combination)
Greenskins/Bloody Handz
Von Carstein/Vampire Counts (Mannfred starts in a kinda rough spot on this matchup, imo. He's squished into the mountains and kinda stuck if you don't plan your expansions carefully)

Either one of the undead factions are actually pretty close to both the Dwarfs and the Empire, but corruption is going to be an issue all along the non-undead's shared border with you so it's not a great pick.

As far as pure cooperative potential is concerned, "King and Warlord" and "Call of the Wood Elves" drops a shitload more LLs in a very small area and vastly increases your potential web of cooperative matchups. You don't both need the DLC, only the person who wants to play as that faction.

Alternatively, just get a faction unlocker and play whatever.

Thanks for the recommendations. I feel like we're doing ok as the vampires so far, although this is our first game so of course we've nothing to compare it with. I'm Mannfred and we solved the problem of me being in the back by just making sure I got Averland while he got Stirland. I think next game we'll probably get a faction unlocker and try a game as empire and whatever the dwarf faction nearest the empire is.

I had just managed to get Grave Guard production up and going, and immediately had the most awful fight vs. the Jagged Horn beastman tribe. Their army was 80% minotaurs, which didn't look that bad since I had more units than them and figured I could just surround them in skeletons and flank them to death. Apparently minotaurs can knock your small units down, and so we spent 90% of the excruciating battle watching Grave Guard slowly stand back up again, and despite surrounding them with infinity grave guard those dang minotaurs took approximately the entire lifespan of the universe to rout. I then managed to kill my own lord by overcasting Invocation of Nehek (didn't realize a miscast would be so damaging). The only reason we won was because I randomly got a free wight king a few turns ago and his leadership aura bonus held the grave guard together while he finished off the beastman lord. I was planning on sending the wight king to maintain public order in Averland but after that fight I think I'm keeping him around as my incompetent lord's bodyguard.

It said the fight was some sort of "forest interception" from which reinforcement and retreat is impossible, which I guess is the only reason the entire beastman army died at the end instead of escaping to harass us some more. What's the right counter to minotaurs as vampires? Crypt Horrors? My army was mostly grave guard and a few bats for harassment, just because grave guard are the only tier 2 unit I can build at this point.

I got super lucky and had my vampire lord return from the grave after the fight was over. What happens to the army if he doesn't? Does it just poof away?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arglebargle III posted:

"Khaine take the wheel" lol

I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle in this game with no obvious power source or driver before.

The Vampire siege towers probably count?

Just a giant cylindrical core sample pulled straight out of a graveyard! (that dark elf vehicle is definitely the stupidest thing I've seen all week)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question for TWW:1 - I just got my first forbidden library and can train necromancers. How good is that passive regeneration aura they unlock at level 4? Their stats seem like they're pretty good for economy, but fairly mediocre for combat, apart from that aura. Is it worth keeping a necromancer in the army for that? Right now my army is mostly grave guard and a few flankers, mostly bats but I'm just now upgrading from bats to vargheists.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If your lord is a vampire and you aren’t focusing on the necromancy skills then a necromancer is nice to have, both for the regen aura and the other spells he brings. Even if you don’t end up using him for much else, it’s always nice for some extra winds of magic which Vampire Counts can always use

Third World Reggin posted:

necromancer lords and heroes are for fun havers instead of turbo vampires everywhere

Thanks, I'm definitely not playing optimally. I'll probably stick him in an army after I get some discounts on those ultra expensive high level buildings. Do you guys know if the regen aura will help allied troops? Or does it only affect my own. My co-op buddy is also playing vampires if that matters.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ha, we just did Mannfred's quest battle for his unique sword. I had just gotten crypt horrors and he had a bunch of them in his army. I didn't realize Cause Terror was so good. Nobody even stood to fight, we just ran at them and they all screamed and broke instantly, it was pretty great. How exactly does Cause Terror work? Is it an aura around the source or does it only affect the unit they're meleeing or what?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

turn off the TV posted:

The in game tooltip is wrong. It's an AOE, but a very small one. The check for terror only happens when a unit enters a terror aura, and can break any unit with morale around 30, but I think 15 is ideal.

Interesting, ok. Do enemies have to make multiple checks if they get charged by three crypt horror units at once for instance? Not sure why the gobbos routed so quick then, kinda wish I'd saved the replay so I could see.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is it a good idea to shoot at enemy flyers who are meleeing with your own flyers? I'm not sure how friendly fire works yet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Question for TW:1, if I have, say, an Arsenal and Mustering Hall in the Iron Rock region, and then hire infantry via global recruitment somewhere else, will the infantry I hire benefit from the increased recruitment level of the arsenal?

If yes, what if the mustering hall is in a different province from the arsenal?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

John Charity Spring posted:

Nope. Global recruitment doesn't benefit from any experience bonuses except those of characters or specifically factionwide bonuses. Province-specific experience bonuses like the Arsenal only apply to local recruitment in that province.

Alright, thanks. I won't bother building it if I have to run 20 years to get the benefit of the troops being trained there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Looks interesting, but all the recent comments for that mod are begging for it to be fixed because it doesn't work since some update.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
When people say "cycle charging" does that mean you charge with a cavalry unit and then run away to charge again, or does it mean you have a second cavalry unit charge in before the first unit disengages? Sorry this is my first total war and I'm not used to all the slang yet.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Thanks. Is there a way to see when the improved damage has worn off?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arglebargle III posted:

Haberdashery of the Old World Part 1

Haha, I hope this actually is only Part 1

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's a little annoying that corruption can never be pushed to 0% or 100% in a given territory, both due to the Local Population effect and since it just takes too long for any movement once it gets close to its trending target. A single hero running through an otherwise uncorrupted (or totally corrupted) province for a single turn will push it away from the edge for the rest of the game.

edit: so while I have latest post, I have a question about damage types. If I send some cairnwraiths vs, say, dwarfs, the cairnwraiths have magic attacks. How does this interact with armor and resistances? Hexwraiths do magic AND fire damage. Does the fact that they do fire damage mean they bypass a dwarf's magic resistance, or are their attacks instead resisted by any troops that are fire resistant OR magic resistant?

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 15, 2018

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

toasterwarrior posted:

Gelt also starts with a Mortar, and his Greatswords do a decent job of tarpitting enemy lords. Early game Empire warfare is bashing swarms of grim but fashionable men against other swarms of grim but fashionable men, and maybe swarms of sneaky rear end in a top hat goblins; that's where the Mortar and Gelt's ability to spam Searing Rain shines and wins battles. They might get that decisive charge in a normal battle, but Franz's Reiksguard can't kill like a Mortar can when you're facing superior numbers.

Also, one-turn rushing Marienburg when they're distracted is fantastic, if Bretonnia doesn't get them first.

How do you use the mortar to really rack up kills like you describe? It seems like it gets 4-5 shots off, enough to damage but not rout a single unit of slow infantry, and then they all wad up in melee with your guys and you can't shoot at them anymore without taking a ton of friendly fire. Sure you can use it to attack archers at that point, but couldn't the Reiksguard also do that? The archers can't shoot back while attacked by cavalry, but they can while being attacked by mortars.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Panfilo posted:

Even with friendly fire it is still worth it, and it isn't hard to have a single lord or hero tie up 2 or 3 units that are getting pounded by Mortar fire.

Plus, with Gelt your basic dudes have over 50 armor so vs chaff that mayyyybe has 30 at best it trades favorably as the enemies are taking far more damage.

The Mortar ranks up quickly too, which improves its rate of fire and accuracy.

Hm, ok. How do you get so many enemy units tied up on a single hero? I've been afraid to run my heroes in front of my line because whenever the enemy lords do that I just fill them with projectiles and they die real fast.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've had Tyrion tank entire armies before, with my 6-8 units of spearmen hanging out nearby just in case. I should probably upgrade them to seaguard so they do more than sip tea as they watch..

Wow. Do the enemy archers just not shoot at him because they're afraid of the friendly fire, or is he just that bullshit tanky?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I kind of thought in Warhammer the skull was the equivalent of the square in real-world art. Just an unremarkable artistic baseline so ubiquitous as to be practically unnoticable except as a starting point around which other aesthetic embellishment could be centered.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

BurlapNapkin posted:

Playing Skaven really makes you wish there was an "Abandon Settlement" button.

Do ignored rebellions not just burn the town down in TWW2?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do we know if Vampiric Corruption going to be rebranded as generic undead influence, or are tomb kings going to prefer untainted lands?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What exactly triggers charge defense vs. large or vs. anything? Does the defending unit have to be facing the charger or not currently engaged in melee, or what exactly?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does it not work if you create the ruin yourself?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don't know poo poo about Offical Warhammer Lore, but all the vampire building descriptions make it sound like the absolute most awful place to be, and the pop-up description you get for taking vampire attrition makes it sound like the land itself is so cursed and awful you get sick just for being there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The repopulation rate is extra impressive considering there's like six women in the entire world and half of them are undead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Presumably they know a spell to turn magic into gold if needed, and upon receiving gold they just immediately spend it on spooky magic poo poo like skulls with candles on them or whatever.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just had a giant six-army battle undead vs. chaos and didn't even get a battle marker since I was too efficient about routing people so they all got scared and ran away instead of dying. I shouldn't have assassinated their lord before the fight started. :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What determines if someone is willing to be your vassal? Is it enough to just be monstrously stronger than them or do they need other enemies and / or a good relationship with you? Do they have to be adjacent to you?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Well, just killed Chaos in our first co-op game of TWW1. Boy they had a lot of stacks. I had a few questions re: chaos mechanics.

What triggers Archaeon spawning? Is it just a turn counter or do you have to kill a certain number of Chaos Warriors stacks first?

We killed Archaeon, but the Warherds of Chaos were still around, so the Warriors of Chaos spawned a bunch more stacks the next turn, and we didn't get the Age of Peace until we killed the Warherds of chaos and then finished off the Warriors. So I guess the Warriors will keep respawning until the warherds are dead.

Does it work the other way? Do the Warherds respawn if you don't kill the warriors fast enough?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's certainly irritating to invade Brettonia as vampires because their grail shrines / chapels spread untainted in neighboring provinces as well as their own, so if they get a cluster of provinces they can all be under the effect of four shrines at once. No wonder the Red Duke has such a hard time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, if you park your lord in front of a gun unit, ideally with melee on his flanks to checkerboard, this is great way to annihilate an (AI) enemy lord as the whole unit will be able to unload on him if he tries to duel. If they don’t take the bait then you’ll still delete whatever unit hits that part of the line and then the lord and guns can flank.

What's checkerboarding?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why Longbeards? I thought hammerers / ironbreakers were basically better, and in late-game singleplayer do you really need to worry that much about army cost?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I'm doing a co-op campaign and my buddy is playing Dwarfs. If I open diplomacy and join the Greenskins in their war against Karak Kadrin, will that drag my buddy into the war?

I want to smash their armies to the point that they'll feel weak and be willing to confederate with my buddy without hurting their relationship to him.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If a lord who has some red line skills gets murked do his troops lose those bonuses immediately there in that battle or does that not happen until after the battle when a level 1 scrublord has to take over?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
HELLO my friend and I just got this in the sale and are going to start a co-op campaign. We played a couple campaigns of Warhams 1 back in the day, one as Vlad and Mannfred, the second as Karl Franz and the nearby dwarfs, using a mod to unlock the adjacent dwarfs as a starting faction.

Any suggestions for good races to pick for a co-op run of Warhams 2? We're fine with either Vortex or Mortal Empires map, but would prefer starting nearish each other. We don't care if we're the same race or not, but it would be nice to not have incompatible forms of corruption screwing each other over. The only non-free DLC we own for either game is the Tomb Kings. I'm fine with using a mod to unlock factions if there is such a thing in warhams 2 (and is actually good).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

JBP posted:

Just finished my Angrund campaign. I had to go into the chaos wastes because Archaon didn't want to attack twelve stacks of dwarfs and empire waiting at Baersonlings camp lol

Guy got all his crazy buddies together to go burn down the world and walked right out his front door to see Karl Franz and Belegar just standing there slapping their palms with a truncheon

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Onmi posted:

Does anyone else just make a like... sitter Lord to be made EC of Marienburg and just sitting there till the end of the game because their only use is economy

I've done things like that with heroes, but never lords.

Does that actually pay off? I thought hiring an extra lord applied a multiplier on your upkeep that the bonus they grant to a single province will never pay off.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How on earth do you start as Khatep? This feels like a joke.

I start with a single region that isn't the province capital in an extremely long thin province. All the other regions in my province are minimum two turns away, and if I go anywhere these loving uncatchable beastman armies (that I start at war with) materialize out of thin air and burn down my one town. If I sit in town recruiting lovely skeletons (the only units I can get) they stay out of reach until I go anywhere, then they materialize out of thin air and burn down my town. If by some miracle I actually make it to one of my other regions and settle one of the ruins, they either materialize out of thin air and burn down my starting town (putting me back to one unupgraded region) or else they materialize out of thin air and burn down my new town and my weakened troops with it. I make like 40 gold a turn, and spending my one starting build slot on stronger garrison just costs half my cash and isn't even enough to beat the beastmen.

I've tried setting ambushes but they never fall into them, and the beastmen apparently move in such a way that I can't ever get a beast paths interception either.

What am I supposed to do?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fartbox posted:

best way to do an ambush is to put your main army in ambush stance and then recruit a lone bait-lord and try to get the enemy to attack him (with him standing close to your ambushing lord so they'll reinforce him)

Tomb kings literally cannot recruit a second lord until they finish a tech, turn 16 at the minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That ritual requires a necrotect, which requires 17 turns of research and 100 jars. I guess I could get the jars by raiding myself for rebellions, but am I really supposed to just sit in my starting region doing nothing for 17 turns?

I can't go fight anybody else because as soon as I leave my starting region the loving beastmen burn it down and I die from no-territories-owned attrition.