Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

ground floooooooooooooooooooooooooor

Holy poo poo I want to stab a rat

I desperately want to sacrifice hundreds of skavenslaves for every victory I achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I played for about an hour this morning and definitely saw some weird behavior when I was playing as Skaven by the Lizardmen. They would come in to my territory and then just sort of wander around. I get that they can't actually see that the city isn't just ruin, but you'd think when a skaven army pops out of it they'd have some way of guessing that maybe, just maybe, there's a bunch of rats in there.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

InevitableCheese posted:

May not be the right thread but I didn't see any other TW thread. I don't know if I just suck at this game (TWWH1) or what, since it is my first TW game. Watched all the tutorials in OP. I thought I was doing really well as dwarves, taking over a few settlements with ease, but then one Greenskin army came through and wiped out everything I had with a level 12 general.

Has my development been too slow? My leading lord is level 6, and it's turn 45. I can only recruit standard warriors, crossbowmen, and long beards. I had a maximum size army occupying a town, and the Army had zero chance against the incoming siege.

I had planned on taking over some of the smaller settlements, but by the time I got there there the other Dwarven factions had already taken them over. I was forced south to start taking green skin territory.

Ah, Grimgor. :unsmith:

The short answers is to build walls in literally every settlement you own in the first game.
This advice is probably applicable to game 2 as well but I can't say for sure.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

InevitableCheese posted:

Ah so this is just a pre-established guy? I was worried I sunk a few hours in and the run was shot due to slow development.

He's just one of the Ork legendary lords who really likes to crump on the stunties undefended towns. Most people seem to have had a few bad experiences with him. Once you get to know the flow of the game a bit better he's not really an issue.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm loving the Skaven overall but the food mechanic is sort of killing me. Do I understand it properly that upgrading settlements causes them to consume more food?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
They sure nailed the number aspect for the Skaven. Playing as Skrolk I generally get 10ish total clan rat summons per match, expandable to like 15 if I want to spend extra food, and another 2 plague monk summons. With some judicious use of debuffs that main stack has been hitting way above it's weight.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've had a lot of luck with hitting the dinosaurs with lots of magic debuffs. Skrolk's armor debuff in particular seemed really helpful. If you have them available a unit of stormvermin with halberds will maul the hell out of those large targets when they're weak like that. Even clan rats with spears will do ok though, you just need more of them.

Magic seems really crucial for turning your disorganized horde of rats into a brutal killing machine.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've actually been really surprised at how effective Skaven are at killing Dwarfs between the armor debuff and (more importantly) their amazing artillery. The warp lightning guns in particular are absolutely brutal.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Little thing I noticed that I'm sure most of you have - choosing your campaign difficulty at LL selection doesn't effect battle difficulty, unlike in TW:W1 where it defaulted to whatever campaign difficulty you chose. For those weirdos among you who enjoy battles on anything but normal.

Oh, that's what's happening. I've noticed myself winning slugging matches between clan rats and stuff like quarellers and have been little disturbed by how easy a lot of the battles have been. Difficulty on normal would explain it perfectly

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ive tried every faction a bit in the campaign and have bounced off all of everything but Skaven. They just feel so good to play it's addicting. You can summon So Many rats all over the map and even can turn them into suicide bombers sometimes which is downright hilarious when you cripple multiple units of elite infantry with a single unit of clanrats in the back lines.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Warp lighting is absolutely brutal. The upgraded Garrison gives you Skaven engineers so you can just spam the hell out of the lighting when stuff gets in the walls.

I held off and Teclis and a full stack with a relatively small force doing this which was pretty funny.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Warp Lightning is absolutely devastating against units stuck on the walls. I've been pretty consistently able to knock fancy elf infantry down to about half health with a single good hit (playing on large unit sizes for what it's worth).

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

After finishing 3 1/2 campaigns i gotta say that i don't really like the Vortex mechanic. It was fineish on my first campaign with the races, but i feel like combined with the layout of the map makes playthroughs so linear and samey.

Like with Skaven as Queef (hehe) you consolidate your starter position, knock out Last Defenders and push north always thinking warp crystals, move your armies back to defend the ritual, move up again x5 (or something) and the game ends. And every game will play out pretty much the same.

Whereas with Greenskins my first game i went south and subjugated all the other greenskins while holding out against the dwarves, finally pushing north and fighting chaos in the mountains. Then the next game i went north killing the dwarves, confederating with all the greenskins and defending against Chaos in the middle. Third game i allied with a big greenskin clan to the north and helped them + vampires take out chaos, etc etc.

It's just really linear, everything happens the same way at roughly the same time which it did a bit in the first game too, but not to this extent.

I'm thinking of the Vortex campaign more as like one of the mini campaigns for the Wood Elves or something than a full grand campaign. The combined map coming up soon will be where the real replayability comes from.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

What units do you use for armor piercing melee work for Skaven? They don't have a great weapon version of Stormvermin, only sword+board and Halberds. I suppose censer bearers fit the bill, since they have armor piercing, armor sundering, poison, and frenzy. Though they have like no armor so it seems you need to bog down units with slaves/Clan Rats and attack from behind with the censer bearers.

Censer bearers work pretty well between their debuffs and their AP damage. The most reliable solution I've found though is to use the armor debuff in the plague magic tree and then just bury the target in rats.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they have some sort of fire tech they used in Atilla? They should have used that to let us burn the jungle down. It may be wet but I know the Skaven could make it work.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
People who are having issues with Skaven- what difficulty are you on? I basically always play on hard and am sort of confused at the issues you're having. I want to be sure you're not playing on very hard or something before spouting off with advice that may not apply.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I've had a few heroic victories. Each time it's been at a minor settlement that has the first garrison upgrade but no walls yet- basically you have just enough troops to win the fight if you fight smart, but not enough that the computer thinks you have a chance.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

:same:

I think a few things are important to either Skaven campaign: First, you have to be decent at managing slaves and clanrats because even if you rush the advanced tech you're still going to have to deal with the chaff units at a point that might really determine how well your whole campaign will go. Second, you have to manage food well, finding the balance between rapidly upgrading cities/getting extra charges of Menace Below, and hoarding the food up to get the global bonuses.

My biggest advice to anyone struggling with Skaven is to learn to love clanrats and skavenslaves. Even my late game armies still have a healthy core of chaff simply to keep the cost low. I haven't found Stormvermin to be all that killy for their cost- they hold the line a bit better but that isn't worth the increased upkeep to me. It's so easy to completely surround the enemy army with your chaff that you can frequently cause chain routes pretty easily, even if you aren't killing all that much.

Pierson posted:

I hope we get the blood DLC soon because I want to watch my system fall apart from the gibs of four thousand rats.

I'd completely forgotten this wasn't in the game yet. I had definitely felt like there was something missing though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

Pursuing has been horrible in Total War since at least Shogun 2, maybe longer. Taking damage when pursuing has been a thing for at least that long too. I remember reading somewhere that fleeing units can fight back with a massive stat reduction but still inflict a little damage. I haven't noticed any difference in TW2, it's just as awful as ever.

There's definitely something new that feels broken in the new game though. I'll have light cav attacking routing units and barely getting any kills. Just watching the models it seemed like they weren't attacking as much- I wonder if there's something broken with the pathing or something.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Does anybody else feel like armies are moving further away after they're defeated? I'm having issues where they retreat out of my attack range and then start making a bee-line for the territories in the core of my empire using forced march stance. It can be dealt with but it's getting incredibly annoying.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

This game looks real good and I want to play it, but from where I'm sitting it looks like if I don't want to pay another $60 for the game this is supposed to be a sequel to, I'll be missing out on roughly half the game (coming soon(?)). Is that accurate?

You'll miss out on all the old factions yes. The old game goes on sale pretty frequently and you'd still be able to murder your way through the old world with poncy elves/goth elves/dinosaurs/RATS. I would say this game alone is still worth the money, but I've also bought pretty much every Total War game every so YMMV.

Fake edit: The Skaven are incredibly fun to play in this game and I would recommend it for them alone.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I never see people talk about how easy it is to completely surround enemy units with Skaven. Most of my victories come more from focusing on doing morale damage more than from killing. Popping a unit of summoned clanrats right behind a battleline unit that you'd like to collapse can be very strong and if placed properly can easily lead to surrounding the entire enemy armg as you fold your newly disengaged units in.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The menace below would be insanely busted in multiplayer though. It lets you shut down artillery or other squishy stuff literally at will, regardless of positioning.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that plus the suicide rat bomb thing you get in provinces with defenses is insane, by the way

blew up an entire unit of phoenix guard for basically free (one mb, one bomb)

It's the best thing. The AI literally rushes everything nearby to deal with the clan rats, then BOOM, everything is dead.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to make your units do an attack move like when you alt-left click a target with a locked formation without having to, you know, have an actual locked formation?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ask yourself, how is the menace below going to work in naval battles, or carnosaurs, or anything really?

Skaven submarines are a thing. You'd just need a slightly different animation for when they appear

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Kroxigors are rad. I didn't really like Mazdamundi's start but the Saurus guy is way more fun given that he gets giant angry alligator people. They've been consistently killing 150+ Skaven in basically every battle.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My Kroq-Gar campaign is continuing to be amazing. I'm having constant issues keeping any sort of reasonable income, but on the plus side my main stack quickly wiped out the Skaven and is now rampaging through the desert in the north. If you though Lizardmen vs Skaven was funny to watch you should really see Lizardmen vs Vampire Counts.

For one notable battle I held back the majority of my army and just let the dinosaurs go to town and it was GLORIOUS. My skink priest alone broke 800 kills, mostly via spamming chain lightning on cooldown.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

deathbagel posted:

Just make the Dwarves all fly! The only part of the Age of Sigmar that I actually like.

I'm actually sort of hoping CA does an AoS TW at some point. I think it could be pretty sweet with how weird some of the factions are. Even Stormcast could be really interesting tactically.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

There aren't like...civilizations anymore in AoS is there? I honestly don't know. I thought the realm was shattered and everyone Planeswalkers around doing nothing but fight chaos.

In the current story Order has founded a bunch of city-states all over the realms. There's this sort of near frontier vibe to everything. GW gage been working really hard to turn AoS into a more grounded setting over the past year or so.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hearing Organ Guns described as being like the gattling guns of yore has me pretty pumped for the combined map. I'm hoping Dwarfs are at least Skaven tier for their artillery if not better.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Given how strong Skaven artillery is that is genuinely terrifying.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So what goes in skavenblight

The rat pope.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

There's a discussion in that thread saying that Organ Gun shots seem to be one-hitting most infantry now when back in WH1 I remember some heavy infantry getting up even after getting shot in the face, leading to much more impressive kill counts. Bummed about Cannons losing anti-large though; if anything, I feel that Dwarf Cannons need buffs, not nerfs.

I'm really hoping they lost anti-large because they get explosive damage like the Warp Lightning Cannons.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Another thing that would be really fun (possibly broken) is if Dwarves had a unique trait to allow artillery to be mounted on walls. Having a canonade blasting away at incoming hordes would be really awesome and suit their shootyness and mostly direct-fire artillery.

Hell, you could tie it into their research; instead of that research that gives artillery 20% missile resistance (pretty useless honestly) have it allow you to mount artillery on walls during siege defense. Its fairly deep in that branch of research so it would take a while to get, but once unlocked would help out with siege defenses. Some settlements have a cannon in their garrison which often isn't terribly useful since it can't easily shoot over the walls and things are too cramped to reliably use it against enemies that breached the walls.

I definitely like the idea overall, but it was pretty hilarious when you could get the cannons into a position where they can fire down into an open gate and can just farm hundreds of kills from very short range.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

It adds a bunch of units and make sure each faction has access to all types of units.

Some people like it, some people don't

The people who don't like it are right because Radious homogenizes the gently caress out of the factions

I haven't touched it for Warhammer 2 but historically his changes to morale also turn the battles into these massive slogs that take absolutely forever.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They could be useful if they had a longer range and were a bit quicker moving / more maneuverable. The biggest issue with the Warpfire Throwers is that you have to use them from the flanks, they're hard to maneuver into the flanks, and their range is so short that if you position them too close to the target they'll start running away again due to skirmish mode and aaah cycle repeats.

Every once in a while you line up this perfect flank into a gigantic mass of Saurus infantry and they win the battle all by themselves and suddenly you remember why they're worth the hassle.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Artillery has been acting weird in this game. Using attack ground makes them do this stupid spinning behavior, and even when I set them to 'guard' they'll still take it upon themselves to move way too close and inevitably get swarmed n by enemies. I feel I have to babysit and micromanage them a lot more than I did in the first game, where I could position grudge throwers to literally fire nonstop until they ran out of ammo, with no LoS issues.

Re: artillery being weird I've noticed that for some reason when the AI is firing hellcannons at me the shots are consistently way short of actually hitting anything. I'm not complaining, exactly, but I don't think that's probably intended behavior. I sort of wonder if the AI is trying to manually aim it and just doing a really lovely job.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

This. Its somewhat backward, but the ballista seem far more effective in shotgun mode while you let your shades/shards focus-fire the big nasties. They're also not particularly kill-y, a lot of their role is to force the enemy to come to you.

They're incredibly killy, it just takes them a little while to actually start removing models. What makes the shotgun arrows so good is that the AOE is massive. What ends up happening if you aren't watching the health bars is that the first few volleys seem like they're barely doing anything and then the entire unit you're targeting (and anything nearby) starts dying all at once. I like taking two and each will regularly break 200 kills against other elves. Against Skaven they get even sillier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I like the intervention armies purely for the fact that they give you some really interesting fights against unique army comps that you may not otherwise see.