Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

People complaining about lack of navy have probably forgotten/missed the previous implementations of fleets.
Of those, probably only the Empire version was ok.

I would love a good navy in this game, but somewhere one has to be realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyone think CA will also include Nagash as a non-starter LL? (like the Bird-Wizard)

All I want now from TW:WH is to run over Nagash with a Steam tank again

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I kinda like the autoresolve being hosed, since the AI have a much higher tendency to actually do field battles. Doing a HE game atm and I have had armies sallying out of fortresses since they think they can beat me.

Also all the arrows is hilarious on HE.
Now to finish a me campaign after I have beaten Chaos.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Knobb Manwich posted:

Spoiler I'm not planning on buying game 3 at all, and that's nothing to do with patches/DLC schedules. I only played 40 hours of game 2, (lmao only 40 hours), but I feel like I didn't really squeeze much value out of it unlike game 1. I got TK on release and played about 5 minutes before shelving it. I was looking forward to Mortal Empires most of all and I've never actually booted it up, I was originally waiting for it, then the lord skills rework for game 1 factions, now I couldn't care. I feel like I'm waiting for Norsca for game 2 because I never played it in game 1, but honestly when it drops I still probably won't play.

I don't expect different for game 3. I expect the same performance as before until they prove different. I'm not upset at all about this. Even if I was super looking forward to game 3 I'd still wait and evaluate the game on release and buy it/not buy it based on how it is then, not how I think it might be after a bunch of patches and DLC.

So you played 1 turn off TK and didn’t even try ME. I guess you spent more effort on this post than the game.

I kinda like the slow DLC theme since I am not a turbosperg that had time to finish all the campaigns the week on release. Or to put it like this, let me give you money CA.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Gejnor posted:

Eh, the long waiting time between content has made people more cranky than usual.

Yeah, as addicts we need our fixes with some regularity and ever increasing dose.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

For 7 EUR it is worth it.
And as comparison WoT is now selling the WH40k skin of a tier 6 tech tree tank for 34 USD.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So how many Sigmarines do you get for the price of TWH2 or even better, how many for the upcoming DLC?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I was just browsing through their website. The price of TWH2 gets you almost half of this guy:
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Great-Unclean-One-2018

Edit: or about 5 Sigmarines if I'm looking at the right ones.

Isn’t that model 20 years old by now, cause I remember something like it being released around when I quit tabletop?

Also, TWH1 and 2 are great cause I get to play all factions in a TW game for a pittance of the cost and I also get to avoid meeting GW players.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Incorporating a playable clan skryre in Skavenblight would be a good dlc, cause none of the skaven start locations are that tempting.
I just want pillage the Empire, Bretonnia and the Dwarfs without having to fight lizard men, elf’s and undead.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Battlefield Gothic did some pretty nice ship combat. While in space, the game is really a 2D sea combat game.
If TW would implement something similar and put a cap of 5-10 ships per battle it could potentially be quite nice.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The no aggressive agents must be PTSD from first game since I play only vanilla and have no issues at all.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

All I want is a southern realms pack with a fully playable Clan Skryre in skavenblight and Ikit Claw. Dogs of war, tilea and estalia can be included as well.
The Skaven starts are really boring.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

IMO, don't expand; sack the poo poo out of everything and upgrade Black Crag/Iron Rock first until you can access Big 'Uns, and then replace all your Boyz with Big 'Uns. If you can spare the cash and time, get Rock Lobbas too. Boyz will crumble against a determined Dwarf army, and while Big 'Uns have no shields, they will fare a lot better against Warriors in an extended fight. Rock Lobbas are your true gamechanger against the Dwarfs: an outgunned Dwarf army is one in serious trouble, since they're slow as all hell and all that armor isn't going to do poo poo against huge rocks flying across the sky.

Nah, boyz are fine.
The trick with orcs is to realize they are a combined arms force that at every turn should outmaneuver dwarfs.
I am currently owning all of the badlands and just started getting big uns.
Wolf riders are unappreciated.
Though getting rock lobbers and nasty skulkers quickly is important.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Are wolf riders actually worth it against dwarves? I've found they rack up kills against empire and vampire counts but dwarves are so heavily armored they seem to just bounce off and barely do damage on a charge. Felt like a lot of effort for relatively little gain early on.

I generally prefer rear charges using nasty skulkers, a good rear charge turns them into anti-armor blenders that exist to chew up dwarves.

Not for killing, but for disturbing quarrelers by constant charging them.
Early game I go for double envelopments with goblins in the middle to catch quarrels and then envelop with boys on the side and skulkers, cavalry in the back.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ammanas posted:

If you can get W1 on a good discount, play that first. W2 is an upgrade in a lot of ways, but the Vortex campaign is nowhere as good as the Old World campaign map and ME is a slog.

Counter point:
W2 has dinosaurs on dinosaurs, war crime rats and mummies riding sphinxes
And elves I guess.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Counterpoint, W2 is missing somewhere between 3-4 races which will help flesh out it's map better, most of the old content doesn't mesh with the new stuff until that content comes in, and is still buggy as all hell.

If you want to play any of the WH1 races, WH1 is a better place to play them in. If you want to play any of the WH2 races, WH2 will be the better place to play them in. You need WH1 anyway to get full ME.

Nope.
I have played old and new races in W2 and enjoyed them all, and more compared to W1.

And I assume we will get more races before W2 is over.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, I can't stress how good this game is to me. At this point, I grab the DLC as soon as it comes on sale. I haven't regretted it once.

I guess if you are a latecomer, the total cost might be high. But if one have bought the DLCs and the games as they came out, it is hard to say that the cost have been prohibitive. A dlc for 10-20 euro is really nothing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

This was always the case. They were just far too divided and fearful of each other to capitalize on their advantages. The way they unite actually makes sense too. The Great Horned Rat manifests takes control of the Council and has his Greater Daemons take direct control of the Skaven Clans. Then they go on the offensive and start toppling empires.

The stupid part is how the Horned Rat manifests. You know how in the Vortex campaign the final battle is to prevent the Skaven from dispelling the Vortex which will allow the Horned Rat to manifest. In the End Times that happens, except it's Teclis who dispels it. (A guy who's plan in this game is making sure the Vortex does not fail.)

Speaking of that, where are my Verminlords, CA?
And Jezzails and ratling gunners, and most importantly of all, where is my Snotling Pump Wagon?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but then how would we get cool new characters like

That said the fish aelfs and zeppelin hobo dorfs are fine, they can come into my Warhammer Fantasy if they want.

Isn't the cost of those 3 figures roughly the same as for one DLC?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Agreed, move all that eye candy in a unusable part of the city and just condense the fighting area to a small section, I had to stop using GCCM because I got tired of sieging a city like Nuln and having a 30 minute battle where 28 minutes consists of walking my army across the massive map and tiny winding streets trying to find 1-2 enemy units scattered around and invisible from line of sight blockage.

Hello Rome 1.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I have seen literally the same model being sold now as 20 years ago when I stopped playing WH40k, only difference being 3x the price, incidentally about the same cost as a DLC.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

A Perfect Twist posted:

I think the dwarf roster is the most in-need of these changes.

One bearded face and gruff voice is kinda hard to separate from another, at least for Dwarfs.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shut up about WH40k.

pnutz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8RqJ3QVLA new video

that pirate accent though :allears:

I was going to write please take my money CA, but I have already done that.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Brets also suffer from a glut of 2 settlement provinces and a wonky economy. Yeah you get free walls but your garrisons are such dumpster tier it often doesn't help much.

I am doing a Bret campaign at the moment and it is pretty fun. Doing a southward crusade to root out the tomb kings while also starting to exterminate the rest of the we (fools never got the message when Orion was put down).
Once the Bret economy get rolling you have tons of money and best of all is no penalty for multiple armies.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Ogre army book is relatively new and didn’t exist when I stopped playing WHFB (new as in 20 years ago).
Given the illustrations of ogres, my question is whether WH ogres (in this format) predates the super mutants from Fallout3? Ie who stole from whom?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I am aware that the Ogres have been in since like forever.
Golgfag, if I recall, was a normal ogre with a regiment in the original DoW book.
They were later then fleshed out with the mongol characteristics, which was not their description originally.
Didn't the Empire have recruitable Ogres as standard units at one point?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

they don't even use literal cannons as their standard ranged weapon:

This is pretty much where my question whether these Ogres are influenced by Fallouts supermutants or vice versa.
That image could have been from Fallout easily. It actually doesn't matter so much which one was first, I am just interested in the chronology.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

another hint towards nagash potentially being playable or being in 3 is that Nagashizzar, the spooky fortress, is in the area of the world that 3 will be focusing on. I don't know though, greater demons, nagash, and skreech are all a tier above any of the current lords in power, it depends what CA are planning on.

This is actually an interesting point for game 3.
One option would raising the average power level and we got greater daemons, nagash, lord kroak and vermin lords as faction leaders and playable characters.
Aren't some of the old vampire lords like Abhorash and Neferata on another power level as well?
Sucks to be the other races in that cases, unless we get the reincarnation of Gork&Mork and Aenarion.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Going back to playing Brettonia and I feel like they got outclassed through power creep, even with the updated research.

Their economic system is clunky and awkward, their growth building is a big ripoff, they get hamstrung by the Peasant system, and Chivalry feels pointless once it gets maxed out. You only get four uses of the green knight during the campaign, skill trees feel very outdated compared to newer factions, and their infantry aren't worth the opportunity cost behind them. They have a bunch of research that was intended to unify the region, but the issue now is that Mousillon and Barrow Legion carves up the little Brettonian factions pretty bad.

The answer to everything brettonia is more knights. Who cares about their infantry?
Did a Brettonia run recently and it was great fun. Being able to recruit armies with no extra upkeep allows you to have a lot more armies than other factions.
The economy system explodes in size after a while as well.
The main negative is how bad the AI is at recruiting the right type of units and is why Brettonia gets hammered.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I don't like how they made infantry so pointless though. With each peasant unit using '1' peasant resource, why bother with Peasant mobs when you could take a trebuchet, light cav, or squires? It just becomes a really arbitrary thing. Their stats are below average and taking them can potentially handicap your economy.

Here's how I would have done the Peasant system: Make it work like Skaven Food system, in that there's a meter with 5 quintiles. This represents the economic strain or benefit you have based on how many peasants you've recruited. The point system is more granular, so you can take lots of peasant mobs and it won't affect your economy as much as taking lots of squires (we can assume the barebones units were literally just mundane serfs and gofers at home, while the higher tier infantry represent more skilled professions that suffer a lack of manpower.

Since there's 5 quintiles, two of them represent economic bonuses you receive from having a surplus of manpower. You also have one-off ways of getting more, just like Skaven do; vs other human factions you defeat in battle, you can put them to work to temporarily boost your peasant capacity.

Both types of buildings could then be changed up, the windmill and warehouse buildings now being capital-only but applying the bonus to the entire province, so while its not a big deal in Brettonia proper grabbing up a 4 settlement province can reap some serious money, and more importantly it frees up a lot more of your building slots in minor settlements. Both types would now be affected by the Peasant system, but they would be affected differently; Farms would get bigger money bonuses and penalties, but the base value would now be comparatively lower, while industry buildings would get less extreme fluctuations, but have a higher base value. Farms would also minorly affect growth and replenishment, while industry buildings would affect global trade goods produced, port income and construction time.

Playing TotalEconomicWar I see.
I am just happy with knights and then some more knights. Why make it more complicated than that? Brettonia is all about pointless infantry and great knights.
If you want a faction with useless infantry, there is plenty to choose from.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

The Green Knight thing is extra fun if one of those limited charges gets cut short when he's assassinated. That happened to me just before I got my army to the Badlands Errantry location.

Well, it is hilarious in the sense of having an immortal legend getting shanked in a back alley by a goblin big boss.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

For a moment I thought I was in TWC.
So I guess nothing new?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Just take my money, please.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

e: Mordheim kind of works as well really. "Heim" for placenames is used in German, though not as frequently as in Scandinavia (and I think Norwegian uses it the most). Can't think of any verb-Heim places really, though you hear it and the name makes sense as "murder home" essentially, which is properly sinister.

Well if you consider Scandinavia to be some small part of Norway. Heim is only used if you want to do some language connection to Vikings ie restaurant, football club and so on. Otherwise it is not used.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I can't remember if you are Norwegian or Swedish. But I'm Norwegian and we have lots of "heims"*, even if it may be kind of old-fashioned. Also common in surnames, due to lots of surnames coming from farm names.

*and variants, "hus", "hem", "hjem", etc. would be the same thing dependent on language and local dialect. It's a common naming scheme. And not just in Norway.

Saying it is not used is just flat out wrong.

The amounts of time I have used Heim in everyday speech (Swedish/Danish) can be evenly divided between talking about Vikings/Norse gods and WH things. Neither of which I do on a regular basis.
So Including hem/hjem in it is just moving the goalposts.

Btw trying to make real world sense of fantasy settings is kinda silly.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

One thing I hadn't seen discussed in the thread yet is that Ikit Claw is confirmed to start in Skavenblight in mortal empires

This is the best part of the DLC.
No more hellwar with undead, dwarves or lizard men.
Although I guess hellwar with Wood elves will make up for it.
That position gives so many options for expanding.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Reddit isn't as bad about TikTakTo as I had thought it would be. The biggest issue seems to be that half of TikTakTo's skills affect Ripperdactyls, the phrase 'Ripperdactyl Paywall' is being tossed around plenty because of it.

A paywall of 8 EUR.
Some people haven’t played “F2P” games I see.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen please.

Got two factions of dinosaurs and one of undead and three forms of elves so.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

sassassin posted:

Aren't the dinosaurs also undead?

No, that would be the Pannion domin, a mixed faction consisting of undead dinosaurs and human cannibals.

Zephro posted:

It would spend 30 years in development then the team lead would pop her clogs and a modder would have to finish it

Still better than the GoT version that would get stuck in development hell and then finally ported to XBox/PS for a popular but flawed version.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They are doing a pretty good job with DLC for these games, They probably could of really nickle and dimed people and charged for individual units like 5$ for huntsmen 10$ for dread saurians and 20$ per faction leader and you'd of had people in the thread coming in defending it saying "It's just a fraction of the tabletop prices, what's the big deal"

So it's nice having some good value DLC for 10$ every few months spicing up new campaigns.

They are doing an excellent job actually.
This latest DLC cost like 8EUR which is what you pay for a lovely low tier premium tank in WoT a "F2P" game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

As far as hero skills go, Lightning Strike is never a bad idea because either you're a horde army who wants to cut off coordinated response or you're a settled faction who will have to deal with multiple stacks of Chaos and Skaven somewhere. I suppose if you have amazing garrisons and never intend to fight outside home turf or always move your armies in twos you don't need it, but I'm not convinced anyone can pick four* more red / yellow skills that will let you take on twice as many troops. For a horde army that has to deal with in-fighting I'd say it's mandatory.

If your troops are individually weak then maybe start 3-whatever before touching the blue line, but the armies I like to play are all hard as nails (Lizardmen, Chaos, Romans).

*I assume you're getting +movement as your basic level 2 because that's the build for every TW general I've ever played.

While Lightning strike is useful, it is also massively boring.
Unless you do VH/Legendary battles (with boosted enemy morale), you should be able to kill off two stacks using one in most cases.