Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't like playing as the Empire cause it feels like I'm gonna be using swordsmen and spearmen until the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Swords and spears are good, and are basically stat-identical with halberds, except halberds get AP. Crossbows and handguns are the same.

The idea is that Empire is all about using state troops effectively to control the battlefield and then using your other cooler and better units to win the fight. How to use state troops effectively? Just pick the right ones.

That sounds like Bretonnia, as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

One day you'll see a stack of doomwheels, rat ogres and feral carnosaurs knocking on your door and remember my warning.

Skaven get feral carnosaurs? That's hosed up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how the beastmen sail around on giant narwhals.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I read some of the end times stuff on a warhammer wiki and oh my god that's depressing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Where do lions live in Warhammer?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm real excited to play tomb kings. Do you think they're only getting added as playable in Mortal Empires?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gay Horney posted:

I definitely will not be buying any dlc til the dlc I paid for is in the game. Six months before dark elves chaos and Norsca are playable? I had such high expectations but I forgot that this is still CA.

What's the difference between normal dark elves and dark elves chaos?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Not sure why someone would play empire in tw2 when tw1 still exists.

maybe they want to conquer ulthuan as the empire idk, why you gotta be a hater

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

Don't those usually get like tens of thousands of views?

e: hundreds of thousands? really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QJq-NVrbU

What are you trying to get across here.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When a computer game company does something I think is not good: I go do something else.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Is your position that negative feedback shouldn't exist?

If they never do anything good again, then I'm never going to go back to them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

Yeah. Warhammer is mechanically a less buggy, more feature restricted, and more fine tuned version of what the Zelda mod was way back when. Though, the Lord's in that mod can kick an obscene amount of rear end. The problem is that you have no data on when one of them is about to kick the bucket. They can also die from a random attack due to the way the combat system (it's essentially dice rolls in that game, I believe.) works.

That mod was years ahead of the official games in many ways and Total War itself is just catching up to some of his ideas. For instance, the TW Zelda dev was working on integrating multiple eras for the entire setting in one complete package. This included unique features for each faction (Like naval and aerial combat being introduced during the Wind Waker era. Note that real naval battles did not exist for Medieval 2. It was done in the auto resolve sort of way. Ditto for aerial units. So he basically had to make the mechanics for that from scratch.) and multiple factions for each era.

Heck, the mod even had the idea for the chaos invasion (and a full blown religious war as another separate "chaos" style invasion that relied on religious mechanics decided to crash the previous chaos invasion's party) mechanics in via the Majora and Ooca factions years ago. He eventually had to tone some of the expected features back because the Medieval engine just cannot handle so much stuff going on at once even with the various hacks and workarounds he put together.

Just look at this poo poo to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L3zEk5ccY

If possible it'd be a great idea for that guy to work on the tools to restart it on the TW Warhammer games. He's been running headlong into the very limits of what the Medieval back end can handle for years now and has had to stop and cobble together multiple hacks to keep the project going.

:eyepop:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's a hobgoblin is that like a cross between an orc and a goblin.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
How similar to vampire counts are the Tomb Kings gonna be? I like the heavy/monstrous infantry + monsters thing VC have going on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well if you think about it, the only reason Chaos really wins is because it had all those humans to fight for it, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why's it called the desolation of Nagash when it's so far away from where the tomb kings live?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

No love for Dread Indy Babylon?

Sir Gigal the Appliance

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Steel Faith Online" sounds like a Japanese mecha game to me, more than a Nazi game. Like, not everyone is versed in neonazi lore to that depth.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

I've never actually looked up the soundtrack. That's neat. I'll stand corrected on that.

I still say that Steel Faith is a very nazi-esque name for a mod however. At least, from the perspective of people who make media that is.

It totally is. But also, on its face, it's not.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

The regen is from his Runefang, which I think he doesn't get as a legendary item in the campaign without mods.

Can you give it to him from Karl Franz if you confederate?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like that event because it lets you pretend like you're making a strategic decision, like "hmm do I want more fightiness sooner or do I want it to be a little more spread out..." but it's like shut up ya git there's no difference!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

It really say something about this game when I started a Skaven campaign to gently caress around before my friend and I co-oped Mortal Empires Greenskins and ended up playing the full campaign.

What does that say about the game besides its good and you like it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What does binding actually do to a unit? Does it give them debuffs to their skills or something? The leadership forTK units still gets affected by the LD of units around them, right?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Trujillo posted:

Binding is just the VC/TK word for leadership/morale. Instead of running away when they go into negative leadership they start to disintegrate and lose health. Most undead or all undead are immune to psychology so terror and fear won't do anything to them. If you hold the mouse over their leadership bar by the enemy banner/unit card you can see what exactly is impacting leadership:

Ok, so all it does is damage them? Does it damage all units hp equally? Do they regain that hp when they get positive leadership?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Its Rinaldo posted:

I’m so glad they added Vlad so I don’t have to play Boring Von Carstein

"We surpass nagash!" Yeah ok buddy :jerkbag:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

You have to remember wood elves are the devs special favorite perfect faction, nearly completely without deficits

They've got some very severe deficits.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Wood Elves are the only faction with only two legendary lords in the game, Vampires could be suspect of being favourites given all the extra lords they got.

Give us Ariel and the Twilight Twins for Warhammer 4. TIA

I was thinking more like "they're elves".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

LLSix posted:

Like what? In my Empire game they're killing two of my dudes for every one of theirs I kill, and that's when I win the battle. If I face them with equal numbers they just wipe the floor with me.

Neither spears nor archers can go 1:1 against their Eternal guards; not to mention the devastation caused by dryads and wardancers.

1. no dinosaurs
2. elves
3. trees

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

Running out of ammo doesn't count, a good player with a clean lineup against their opponents line can beat any faction.

They're also monstrously powerful in campaign, attacking any athel loren settlement is gonna cost you at least half your army. You might win but you'll about lose your army.

Yeah but they're bad.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just got the "Family Feud" achievement in the Kholek starcrusher quest battle. It's for killing 1,000 VC undead as Court of Lyabras.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
bridges are cool

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jeremor posted:

Re: sword skellies vs spear skellies

So, in my first Settra game I used exclusively spear skellies and noticed that they would just get chewed up and wiped out most battles. Then I heard from someone that swords get an inherent advantage against spears in melee. On my second campaign, I've gone mostly sword and found that my smelliest are actually killing people. Against savage orcs, with Settra red line buffs, my sword infantry was alllmost going toe to toe with savage orcs boy at times.

It's purely anecdotal evidence at this point, but I find that actually being able to kill what they're fighting offsets their inferior defensive stats. As the game goes on and more large monsters start to come around, I'll probably switch back over to the spear infantry to fill out my armies though.

Though honestly they're just there to hold the enemy still so my archers and chariots can tear them apart.

I've seen a game tip that says basically this. That swords, axes and maces are better one-on-one than spears.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I want to play on the vortex map but not do the vortex campaign.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kalos posted:

I mean, I don't understand people's weird aversion to Mirror Matches to begin with, but it seems doubly silly to complain about it with TKs. Even the most mirror heavy start, Settra, puts you up against Savage Orcs, VCs, Brettonians, and Dwarfs in your early game. Not to mention Arkhan's running around with his own personal unique lineup. And like I mentioned before, TKs are trivially easy to steal territory from so you're not fighting them for long.

Mostly only fighting one or two factions was a big problem in WH1 for sure, especially early on, but I can't help but feel like this issue doesn't actually exist in Vortex and is an issue for only certain edge cases in ME.

What is a "mirror match".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA-Wintrow posted:

There is a bug with the Ruby Ring of Ruin (equippable item) and some other magic missiles. Its cooldown only triggers if the caster is moving while using the ring. If you stand still you can spam-cast fireballs like a machinegun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UJpcQ_zkE

One of that dark elf's battle cries is just "trickery and deception!!!" lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

The crater is so big it's more like a mountain range than a wall and the 100 square miles within make the city virtually invulnerable to siege. The tunnel through the wall is a few hundred feet up itself. Talabheim is a good case for air cavalry because the city proper has no defences.

Speaking of Lotr cities, this place is literally Gondolin.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why are there three places called "Vaul's Anvil"?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Are they actually cannibals per se, or just will eat anything that they can fit in their mouth up to and including dirt.

What's a "cannibal per se".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eh, I was just in a game where he took most of Naggarond.