Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If they never fixed it, the lord skill that added XP to recruits stacked from every one in the same region, so you could build units at rank 9 if you bundled them all into the same territory. Takes a bit of time though since your still limited to 2-4 units per turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Kopijeger posted:

Meanwhile, the Norscans appearing in the TW2 campaign consist solely of the same old marauders, not a monster in sight.

Honestly TW2 was probably way too far along to add Norsca in, they were worked on by separate teams. That will be a post-release thing, like the combined map.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I updated my drivers for the game after starting it once and now my resolutions seem all messed up. Now I have to track down why, which sucks.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah playing my first game as Teclis on VH and 8 sea boys and his Phoenix/Swordmasters are so expensive having the entire first province is still like 600 short monthly. I can't even go raid or sack for every long because the AI stacks are already too large to fight with this army and the public order penalty from VH means I need my army in the province until I get like T2+ in all 3 and devote entirely to the public order buildings. It's a little over the top, probably going to have to mod in some changes since I like VH's everything else.

I could buy archers/spearman of course but you end up at similar costs to acoomplish much of the same things.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So if I make the tier 4 mod for this game (which is likely), I can't decide if I want to just build the garrison walls right into the tier 4s this time because of all the ritual stuff. Having to put walls in every minor feels a lot more mandatory this time around when stacks literally just whereever.

At the same time, Hard isn't hard enough to actually need that so it feels like overkill, while VH and up feels like it would benefit a lot from it since upkeep is so high on units you need all sources of income you can get.

Also definitely making a skills point mod, but probably holding off till after level 20 to giving start extra points.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Fans posted:

If by "Bit better" you mean "Easily the best ranged units in the game" then yes, Dark Elves are a bit better.

Seriously Shades loving murder the poo poo out of anything armour or not and they're pretty good in melee too. They're monsters.

Have you seen the amount of buffs you can give lothern seaboys? My dudes currently have 57 missile damage and fire every like 4 seconds. Both elf factions seem to do some serious work with ranged units to the point you don't even need horses or any of that poo poo. Teclis still only has his starting phoenix to fly around and harrass hellcannons.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Projectiles are very easy to attach to new weapons so you could make a unit of say, goblin archers fire other goblins at things.

Also it's a shame that units have to be attached to lords so strictly or adding naval units doesn't seem like it would be very hard. Most of the basic stuff is there, but the rules keeping them on the ocean would probably be a lot of work because you'd have to make some kind of black ark style lord to spawn them with every time. Gonna look into it and see if there's any way to sneak something in.

Also, strangely enough, you know how settlement looks don't change by faction anymore when you take them over? It seems they forced them to stay the same type forever in a specific table. I could probably fix that but I wonder why they did it in the first place. It's a lot more work to make entries for every faction.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 5, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There's something like 1200-1300 rows of data now for major named cities, even though there are only like 15 of them because each faction in the game needs its own entry at each tier of settlement since you can settle anywhere now. I pity whoever decides they need to mess with those.

On the plus side all of the TW1 factions are fully represented in the majority of things I've looked at, so the new campaign probably isn't that far off.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Blinks77 posted:

Would seem that the best method would be to take the Black Arks themselves as the basis. A flagship, if you will.

Yeah but the problem is the black arks are summoned by a ritual AFAIK and they spawn a weird generic lord tied to the water. It will be a journey to figure out how to mimic that for other factions in a way that makes sense and also works within the UI. I'm going to work on the t4 settlement mod first and then maybe look into all that later. I get the feeling I'm going to get the basic functionality in but will miss something really crucial to making everything work correctly, as that's exactly what happened with my outposts for everyone mod (this was done before WElves or Norsca, I could probably finish it now if I felt like it). Ports especially tend to be very finicky to work with.

I may also look at some kind of outpost options for the regions your faction doesn't do well in, so you can paint the map without the huge maluses, but it will probably be more effort than its worth since the existing settlement superchains still work there and the old system had separate chains for human and dwarf settlements.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 5, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Changing the rules of combat for boats probably isn't possible, and/or will take a comical amount of work. What I'm talking about is more just adding Rome 1 style boats to sway the auto-calc a bit. Even that might be beyond what's possible since there isn't much to build on besides some existing boats in naval_units they clearly never finished implementing. The black ark is basically the only basis we have for a working ship, and that's actually just a weird horde army with special rules.

I mean someone could theoretically make custom maps like you stated, but implementing them for naval battles is a pretty big stretch from whats there now. I've never touched any of that though so I'm not the best person to ask.

Also you may want to use timg tags so those 4 pictures don't eat up 1/2 of a page.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 5, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Perestroika posted:

You might be able to get those Rome-style autoresolve ships in there without even having to make them actual naval units. Keep fleets as a Black-Ark style water-only horde. Add in ships just like you would a regular land-borne unit, with relatively high stats to give them a chunky autoresolve power. Then make those units only buildable by a unique building that can be built only on those waterborne fleets/hordes. That might just sidestep the whole "naval" issue by just making a bunch of regular units that by their circumstances just happen to never be in a position to go on land. The main issue I can see is making sure the player can't swap units between those fleets and regular armies.

Yeah it's the weird outlier poo poo that presents the problems since it tends to just crash the game. My outposts for example worked everywhere but port cities because you cannot remove the port building from those tiles, and without it setup properly even mousing over the tooltip could crash the game. I won't make a mod that crashes the game under specific but common circumstances, and chasing down those outliers tends to eat up so much time you just stop caring.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They need to add a naval combat dlc with sith some rammed together boat maps.

This is probably something on their radar given how naval stuff is a pretty big part of the new game and will continue to be on the big map. They probably will do admirals and auto-calc warships if nothing else. They already have half the work done in the files.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's the process of doing things like that which is hard, not the ideas of how to do it. You need to make a new hero/lord recruited differently from the existing ones with different costs and limits and different rules while using the existing UI framework and doesn't just crash the game with no warning or message for what broke.

You don't just get to type that paragraph into a xml file and it happens. Modding the existing systems like unit stats or items is very easy in this game which is why those mods come quickly. There's a very full featured framework for all that. Getting down to and changing the systems beneath is where poo poo gets real complicated real fast.

It's why the campaign map never got touched by a mod in ~6 different warscape games now. You cannot get to it. Or why minor settlements cannot have more than 4 building slots; it breaks the game in ways that aren't even worth trying to fix.

Tl;dr the issue isn't what to do for naval units, it's how to do it with what's available that isn't a complete loving mess that barely functions.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Third World Reggin posted:

Time to put the skaven on hold

the faction unlocker is working for the first games base races but not the paid DLC races

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158985864

Norsca will never work without a lot of importing because they are currently not in the files past the basic stuff there from the games release. TW2 looks like they incorporated everything from around Bretonnia and before directly into the .packs, but nothing after. It's why the basic ones work so quickly, everything is mostly there but the faction mechanics, which may be there too but not configured.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The biggest problems with playing helves in campaign, imo, is that their armies are good against three out of four races by default or, at least, competitive and don't need retooling.

Lizards, however, are tanky, shielded fuckers that never rout and I hate them.

Get a lord and hero in the army, put regeneration items on them. Put them like 60 meters in front of your archers, spaced pretty decently apart so they cover a good portion of your line. The entire enemy army will surround and attack them.

Shoot them with everything.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 6, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I may have just ended my Teclis game a bit earlier than I'd like to have, the spawns for the ritual intervention armies are basically guaranteed to blow up my economic heartland because I forgot they spawn and get movement points in the same turn, so theres no way I can intervene in time. Them razing 3-4 of those towns is going to cost me like 25-30 turns of progress as I restore my ability to maintain my armies, and I already feel really behind in this game (turn 160, took forever to get rolling as Teclis)

Pretty rough, always make a save BEFORE you hit the ritual buttons, friends.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 9, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Started a VH malekith, Mung declared war by turn 16 with 3 stacks that moved together. The upkeep on 8 shades was my entire income.

I feel like they went a little overboard on the H to VH jump.

Also, FWIW, when you load a save the AI doesn't always commit to the same actions, so I was able to save my Teclis campaign. Got the DE intervention to not spawn for a couple turns and only lost some minor settlements to the 7 stacks of Chaos that spawned before I moon dragooned the lot of them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 9, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Kanos posted:

Well, that's excellent news.

Like the new guy isn't a nazi too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I think the intervention armies being stupid strong is good since it makes them a credible threat even to the high garrisons, but they definitely shouldn't spawn with movement points and should probably start at the edge of your borders. Also the first ritual should only have the tier 1 or 2 option.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Kainser posted:

Maybe spend your gold on something else than 8 shades, you can't really justify getting so many of them so early on Very Hard. Particularly since you are playing as Malekith who gets 50% less upkeep on the Darkshards.

Shades do become ridiculous murder machines later with tech and leader skills on but replacing your ranged units entirely with them that early is just not a very good idea.

Yeah it was more an experiment since I never used shades before, I was hoping they'd Sea Guard it up and punch way above their weight. They did, but yeah you definitely need the extra numbers, especially with Malekiths bonus as you mentioned.

That being said, my issue with VHs ramp up is that it's extra enemies + -4 public order + 100% upkeep increase. That's a bit excessive as 2 of those would be good enough, considering you need armies to quell public order early and you can't afford or leave armies behind with all this stacked up against you. The best thing to cut is probably the public order debuff, which is easy to mod out.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Skavenblight is already in the files, so there's that.

I don't see any others starting in the old world unless they add new LLs specifically for that, but thats a possibility. Also the big map is probably not going to be as huge as it would seem. Probably not that much bigger than the vortex map. Stuff like the badlands and naggarond are likely to be condensed pretty good. Once the map gets too big you just run into that problem where you never see most of it before the game is over.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

JBP posted:

I thought there was some stupid teleport system to get from map 1 to map 2.

No it's just one map, and different in structure from the 2 we have now. Probably quite a few less minor factions, although they said still a lot and that turn times are going to be longer than the last 2, and there's no way around that given the scale.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Medieval Medic posted:

I have a question regarding Lothern SeaGuards. They are tagged as Anti-Large, is this bonus factored in for both their ranged and melee attacks, or just when they switch to spears for melee?

Just spears, you can mouse over the bars to get the actual values of their normal/AP damage and bonus damage.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
All main factions absolutely do have separate settlement lines for Norsca provinces. To be honest I've never colonized there so I wasn't sure which direction those settlements were implying to go, so I never modded them. Good to know.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
AFAIK there is no connection between the buildings of a region and climates, Norsca has separate trees for the port settlement superchains and the big names capitals are literally unique in the files in that they have their own entries for 1-5 everywhere.

Based on trying to merge unrelated things together before, working climates into building choices is going to be unlikely on the modded side of things, but I do plan to play around with it since I dislike building settlements in unsuitable areas, especially when they end up behind my lines like the copper desert.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 10, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

That is nuts! Kudos to you! 300 turns seems like a short time do paint the map, most games last ~150 turns to the final ritual.

I was thinking the same, but as your income scales up you field more armies and you can start to ruin everyone at once. It's not unreasonable to think most of the map painting was fast and late.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
That could realistically be modded when the time comes, if they aren't player controlled that's just new horde entries in startpos.esf, all the horde mechanics already exist for skaven.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The AI do get public order bonuses on VH to the tune of +8 and +10 on legendary. They also get upkeep reduction modifiers.

But unsuitable is -5 and raiding/corruption is a lot more so you can still cause revolts and stuff for sure.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My problem with Radious was back in the day he just pushed changes to push changes even if they didn't make much sense, mostly because it seems like his player base are the kind of people who always demand more stuff.

More = gooder is a pretty lovely way to mod when it homogenizes a bunch of unique factions, but then again I don't use it so I won't comment on how it is now.

Also province wide roads was available at release since it's one of those semi-official Dresden mods.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I mean the odds that Radious is also a nazi are pretty good, he just doesn't use the same name for his YouTube channel so we can't connect the dots

Hot take: lots of people on the internet have really lovely opinions

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Just since a few people have asked on the mod page, some other dude put a tier 4 settlements mod up a couple days before mine because I was playing the game/busy, and his is pretty buggy (the most likely answer is he copied my TW1 one for TW2 without actually understanding what it was doing). If you're crashing, especially playing the Skaven, make sure you have my version and not his.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
While I really hate to bring mod drama over here, I had a hunch about his "update" so I checked the latest version of the other tier 4 mod, and he just wholesale copy+pasted a bunch of my working version in an attempt to fix his poo poo. He didn't even change the garrisons or IDs on anything so it's super obvious right away.

Pretty hosed up honestly, so if goons want to poo poo on some random pubbie for being a douche have at it, downvotes will work probably better than comments because he can just delete those:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162112272&searchtext=

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

sassassin posted:

Commented, downvoted and reported.

But what to do about him?

Eh its whatever past the point of getting called out, he added walls to them so if he wanted to keep it as the walled version w/credit to me that's fine. I don't give a poo poo about it past that point, its just a mod. It's more don't be so lazy as to copy+paste straight up and not expect to get caught/called out. Especially when you don't know what you're doing in the first place.

Although if his eventual response is malicious maybe I'll think of something.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Just to follow up the mod drama, the guy who made the other mod gave in right away and is changing his to be the Radious version with credit, so no more needed there. Which is good, because steam slapfights are the loving worst.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah while the lizardmen probably want to save the world in some form, destroying Ulthuan to do it isn't a problem for them, and hence the apprehension on the HE part. I'm also sure the HE being a bunch of snobby assholes aren't too happy with anyone but them being in control of the vortex.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Randler posted:

When people in this thread talk about their AI opponents fielding four to five stacks against them, do they play on Very Hard or Legendary? Because I'm ~120 turns into a Hard Tyrion campaign and I think the most stacks I saw at the same time was three stacks of Skaven from a confederated Queek/Skrolk faction. (I guess the Dark Elves AI probably has more than five stacks running around its continent, but they usually only showed up in pairs to defend cities.)

It's rare you'll fight more than 3 stacks at once, the only scripted time more than 3 appear at once is the last 2 rituals, and that's still largely chance they spawn close together.

But the AI does get pretty huge upkeep reductions in VH and even more on Legendary so yeah that's where you'll see multiple stacks.

I know in my DE game Mung went loving crazy and had 18 settlements before I was in a position to declare/wipe them out. They had 7 stacks at that point, but werent close enough together to support each other en masse. Which is good, because all of them had a shitload of dogs and horses.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 16, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
New LLs are easy DLC so there are lots of them possible in the future.

Also they had to change the entire settlement chain system for everyone to settle everywhere, it's definitely possible to mod it back but it's a lot of work that I'd only expect about 3-4 of the guys on the workshop to do correctly. I had to do something similar but reversed for outposts in other species type settlements, and it wasn't simple.

Probably not going to happen since the demand is low to the point it's not worth the effort.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Some random dude on Reddit made that with the poo poo available in the files. You know what else is in the files if you look? Settlement rules from loving shogun 2.

My suggestion would be not to take the poo poo some rear end in a top hat on Reddit says as gospel till you have a bit more official proof.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Third World Reggin posted:

I dunno

as pointed out earlier, chaos invasion was the imperium script and corruption is just the religion script

settlement rules from shogun 2 might have actually been used

I keep saying that total war warhammer is my favorite mod for a reason

They definitely build on their own stuff, that much is true. There's also a bunch of stuff that someone just forgot to remove when they started working on the new game in the developer files. Each game has pieces of the older ones but with different pieces every time that seemingly interact with nothing, it's kind of funny.

My point is more that we have no idea if that is the final version coming on the 26th. Sure it's in the files now but they can easily replace it in 2 weeks with something very similar or very different if they wanted to. Is it likely the right one? Sure, but it's just as likely the wrong one. The point is we have no idea besides some goober on Reddit.

Until we get a full version from CA, it's probably best to not get all worked up over how little water there is.

IMO especially considering how awful water interacts with the current strategic map and armies.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2017

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Mightypeon posted:

I have a pretty simple question:

I like the AI stacks on legendary/very hard, but I would prefer to buff the AI like that without also getting all the player penalties. I especially dislike the fact that a pretty decently large Mazdamundi Empire from the Isthmus to the altar of the horned rat has issues funding more then 2 earlyish stacks and a treasure grabber.

What Mods are recommended here?

Get the PFM, open campaign_diffuculty_values, set all the player modifiers in there to zero. You've just made the exact mod you want in about 4 minutes of effort.

EDIT: that probably came off as sarcastic, didn't mean that way. Getting the PFM lets you view everything as labeled spreadsheets so once you get a feel for it modding that stuff is very low effort compared to most other games.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Panfilo posted:

^^^This^^^. The quick wall speed alone is pretty useful.

I noticed that High Elves are no slouches when it comes to expanding aggressively either. They get research to improve build times and several skills that cut down on global recruitment times. I guess I'm weird in that I mainly use my Influence to recruit the best of the best when it comes to lords and heroes, because some of those 40 influence costing traits are REALLY good, like almost Legendary Lord good.

Quoting this from last page but the high influence heros are quietly the most amazing part of playing HE.

The trick is to spread nobles out so they are generating 6 influence from enemy settlements per turn each, then using that influence income to buy Mages with Entrepreneur. That trait is +30% income from buildings and +3% tax rate, and it stacks for every mage in the province. Put 3-4 of those in the Turtle Isles or anywhere with 3+ ports with elf embassies and you'll make something like 10k per turn from that province alone.

Mages can also have the trait that can reduce building cost and IIRC build speed by like 25%, which also stacks. Making tier 5 buildings in 2 turns and at 20% their original cost is basically cheating. Malekiths Tyrant tree is the only thing that comes close that I've seen, and it still loses since this scales up for every new mage/noble you can get.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 19, 2017