Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can train level 11 mages in Saphery as Tyrion after uniting Ulthuan and confederating with Teclis. +7 from the White Tower, +2 from research and +2 from Teclis' unique item. If I had done it the other way around, they would be level 16! Can't wait to play with this in the ME campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

madmac posted:

I can see what they were going for with Teclis. He's basically on another island on the flip-side of Lustria, so it's almost the same position, just closer to Ulthuan.

The problem is that his starting position works mostly in the context of the Vortex Campaign, where turtling in the middle of nowhere and doing rituals is a viable path to victory. For a conquest campaign, it's pretty much purely a disadvantage, with a weak capital and no natural expansion path.

Is a weak capital a problem long term, apart from having a slower start? If I conquer/confederate Lothern later, I can treat it as my de facto capital. Do you have any disadvantages from your lovely starting island? Trade wise it shouldn't matter, since you have a port anyway. Or am I missing something?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Teclis new start position is on a minor settlement in the region. Are there any other LLs that don't start at the provincial capital?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What does "Wood Elves can fully occupy Lothern" mean? Will Lothern work like a regular Athel Loren settlement for them?

Coupled with their ability to construct a variant of the Everqueens court in Gaen Vale (sp?), Ulthuan may become an important target for Orion.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 25, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Panfilo posted:

Some of the new buildings kind of offset it. Dwarves can get all their units at +1-5 veterancy and - 30% recruitment cost from gem, airfield, woodcutter iron mine and salt mine.

But at the same time I'm looking forward to the existing lords getting their skills updated.

I don't think any faction is beating Teclis in mage ranks. He gets +5 as his faction ability, his one legendary item allows mage recruitment everywhere and gives another +2 ranks, IIRC there's a technology for a further two ranks, meaning you can get rank 9 mages wherever you need them. Not to mention that you can recruit level 16 mages in Saphery eventually.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really wanted to confederate Tyrion as Teclis, but I probably took too long in dealing with the Vampire Coast and the Skaven in Lustria. I raced to get as much of Ulthuan as possible once I noticed Lothern growing and growing, but I could only get about a third of it to Tyrion's two thirds. He's solidly number two in military power after me. I assume with 17 settlements he won't ever be willing to confederate with me?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brasseye posted:

If Morathi was dead when I confederated the cult of pleasure is she dead forever?

Yes, unfortunately. Reload and wait until she recovers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just got the Ruin Unrestrained trait with Mazdamundi. Is Teclis like the designated good guy in Warhammer? I'm not really familiar with the WH lore outside of playing the two TW games.

Teclis only had his starting island by the way. The move really hosed him over, I'm almost sorry for him. But only almost, since his brother owns all of Ulthuan and is busy beating the poo poo out of Morathi at the moment.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The update is stuck at 85% and I'm a bit unhappy about that :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Where's the third elven colony for the achievement? One is Teclis start, one is owned by chariot elf in not-America at the start. Where's the third?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sassassin posted:

Does anyone happen to know how the ambush attack chance/defence chance/army detection chance/line of sight mechanics work together?

My mod to make Yvresse a misty hellscape that is no fun to play in is 95% done I've just got to decide on the final effects values and hope I don't break everything when I paste 3 separate packs together.

I'm sorry, I have no modding knowledge whatsoever. Just wanted to post that your whole project already sounded interesting when you first wrote about it, and I'm definitely going to try it out. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to downloading it from Steam once you're finished :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a list of all the special traits your lords and heroes can get as High Elves? I had a lot of fun putting one life mage with the talent that gave them +100 charge bonus on a horse, and later into a chariot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ultiville posted:

I remember seeing someone here say that there were some Ulthuan cities that could be full Wood Elf settlements rather than their seedlings. Anyone know which ones or if it is indicated somehow on the UI?

Only Lothern is like an Athel Loren city. But you can also build an unique building in Avelorn: https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warh...queen_court_wef

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm curious where Khalida will end up on the ME campaign map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody give me some pointers on the economy as Bretonia? Do I go full farms, full industry, or a mix of both without building the final buildings? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

The warning not to duplicate farms the gave gives out is just for the recruitment options, right? I will still get the gold?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ardent Communist posted:

As far as I can tell, you oughta build farms in your smaller towns, and industry in provincial capitals. Aren't most of their provinces two cities anyways?

So if I build a industry building in the capital it won't reduce farm income in the minor settlement? Makes sense in a way, but I find the in-game documentation kinda unclear.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Huh, I have no RoRs as Bretonnia, are they tied to a specific DLC?

Announcement is pretty cool. I'm really curious about those pirate coves, a really interesting addition to the game. Too bad they didn't do something similar for Skaven.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Qubee posted:

Dropped 10 G's on an intervention army, seeing as the Elven city was half the world away and I wouldn't arrive even if I left immediately (10 turns just ain't enough, sometimes). Intervention army spawns, sieges for one turn, and then instantly dies the next with nothing to show for it.

Last god drat time I waste money on something like that. That 10,000 could have really helped me upgrade my poo poo.

I'm also really regretting picking Lizardmen. They're awesome and tanky, but their fighting style doesn't fit me at all. I much prefer faster units, so I can outmaneuver my opponents. I'm also a fan of cheap cavalry to get behind and hammer / anvil the poo poo out of them. Lizardmen haven't (so far) been good for that. They're more just meatgrinders.

Is it also meant to be easy as gently caress going against Rats? I consistently throw my 20 stack against their 20 stacks, and at the end of the battle, I lose 200-300 men. Sieges are a lot more deadly and I lose around 600-800. But in plain old battles, Rats barely scratch me.

The AI is not especially great with Skaven. Additionally, Lizardmen are basically a hard counter to them, so it's not surprising that you have little losses against them. Wait until Dark Elves gently caress you up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ammanas posted:

Chaos is unplayable in single player ME because of the change in resettlement. Somewhat true for wood elves as well. Its a shame, their unit roster is pretty dope.

A modded chaos campaign in WH1 can be pretty fun though

You can actually make a strong alliance with a dependable faction (Clan Angrund for example) and just get all of Athel Loren plus a port to open sea trade. Then just run around burning down enemy settlements. If need be, you can install the region trading mod and just gift your ally every settlement you conquer, it's worth the same amber. You can also try to get an overseas ally (Lizardmen?) and do the same with them, it's unlikely that allies separated by an ocean declare war on each other.

And if you really want to, you can conquer Ulthuan for Lothern and Avelorn, which are fully functional settlements for Wood Elves. Not to mention that they generate a lot of money through their special buildings, and give nice other bonuses as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ChrisBTY posted:

I once heard a rumor that it's all going to fit into a massive ubermap when TWWH3 comes out. Is there any basis to this rumor?

Yes. Warhammer 2 has it's own map, which basically excludes the Old World (only not-Africa and a tiny part of not-Great Britain are part of the Vortex map). If you own Warhammer 1 as well, you can instead play the so called Mortal Empires map, which includes both the Old World and the New World. I think it's near certain that WH3 will work the same, with a unique map for their factions, and a combined map if you own all three games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a picture of where the new province in the middle of the ocean will be?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ZeusJupitar posted:

Looks like the ME map has been updated to include Land of The Dervishes and Heart of the Jungle. Not sure whether it's actually been extended south or if they're just replacing some of the desert.

Is Heart of the Junge where the minor wood elf faction started in the Vortex campaign? I would love a third (or really, second) start position for them. Plus a third LL of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not sure about Warhammer theology, but if you believe that your relatives rest in heaven and that reanimating them as undead disturbs their eternal rest (which generic fantasy peasant are wont to do), then you might be a little bit upset at seeing your mother become a mindless undead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i... i dont know if this is an actual restriction!

Confederation is weird / random enough as is; if you're millitary allies with them, for instance, its supposed to make them less inclined to confederate since they count your strength as part of their own when calculating if they'll accept or not. Its not just based on relations, in any case.

Can confirm that I couldn't confederate Alarielle as Alith Anar (the option didn't even show up in the diplomacy menu). Then I bought the DLC, loaded the save, and could immediately confederate her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Teclis' start will likely be even harder/more annoying once the DLC is out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Given the naval battle overhaul, I think consensus itt is that one dark elf naval lord or something like that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gay Horney posted:

why are they so reluctant to put old world generals in the new world?? Or vice versa. The pirate dark elf should have started between Norsca and tod bringer imo

At least you can sail East to fight with the Tomb Kings. And your immediate neighbors are Teclis (ugh), Skaven (sigh), Lizardmen (groan) and vampirates (yay!). And few Norscans around. It's a more varied start than the other DE lords. Hellebron's and Alarielle's (and Alith Anar's) start positions are no different than the other DE or HE starts (Teclis excluded), they have it way worse.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Vampirates are a lot cooler than Dogs of War, and it makes sense to tie VC changes to this DLC. Yet I'm not sure that Vampire Counts really needed this overhaul right now, especially with the very sorry state of the Empire. Or the pretty lame Wood Elf experience. WEs still have a powerful roster, but they suffer from a core mechanic not working well with the climate system, plus they have relatively lame unique mechanics (council system for example).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are people tired of my speculation posts? i thought the cyborg dwarves would generate more discussion

I like your lore posts. I'm not a tabletop player, so these posts are always interesting.

My problem is that I don't really care about the Chaos factions at all. I'm pumped for Vampirates, but I didn't buy Norsca or Beastmen or Warriors of Chaos. I'll have to see what's in store for the other races in WH3 to make sure it's even worth buying if it will only bring 4 Chaos factions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can you recruit max rank sea guard with that change? +2 from tech, +4 from level three port in Lothern iirc, +3 from Tyrion =9?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What does the unique ogre lore of magic do? And do they use the Winds of Magic to power it, or is it powered by the giant maw in the ground that they worship?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I had no ongoing games when they last changed the map, will my current save become unusable on Thursday? I have an Alarielle game that I want to continue for a bit, I just got to high level units recently.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For all those who complained about the Skaven and Dark Elf loyalty decisions no longer firing, that's apparently fixed in tomorrow's patch. They even caution that they fire too often, and will keep any eye on that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ZeusJupitar posted:

CA games update at 3pm GMT usually.

How many hours away is that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

jokes posted:

It is very impressive that they managed to make lizardmen backed up by dinosaurs backed up by dinosaurs with artillery on their back backed up by magical space frogs the most boring faction.

Yeah, with all the old faction overhauls, I think Lizardmen deserve a bit of love, too. Skaven have the food mechanic, loyalty events and advanced ruin settling. Dark Elves have black arks, the slavery mechanic and also loyalty events. High Elves mostly have the influence events, and the tons and tons of unique buildings on Ulthuan, plus the in parts drastically different climate preferences of the four LLs. Dwarves got oathgold and crafting, VCs get the unique bloodlines, Tomb Kings and Norsca have their own mechanics, Vampirates get coves. Most of the WH2 races, especially the new ones, plus a fortunately growing list of WH1 races have cool unique features.

Lizardmen have... the geomantic web, which is super lame. And blessed spawns I guess, which are mostly worse regiments of renown imho. They need some love, too. Not as much as the Empire of course, but they definitely need something more.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Blessed spawns are upkeep free though.

That means nothing in MP of course but in campaign it's pretty great.

Okay, they have slightly better regiments of renown. It's still not an exciting feature.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Lothern declared war on me and honestly, it was awesome. High Seas attrition means they're sitting ducks if they come for me, while I can send a huge stack around their coastline setting up dozens of coves. You've got so much good artillery and beasties that you never need to wait to bust up a city. I got the whole outer ring done while smashing anything they sent at my own cities.

If the AI would use the Invocation of Isha, it wouldn't be so awesome anymore.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there a list of traits you get for killing the Vampirate LLs, and for killing Lokhir?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 13, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elswyyr posted:

I want to finally win a vortex campaign, and I also wanna play as high elves, because being a big economic powerhouse seems neat. I played 10 turns as each LL, and I now report back.

[...]

Please help me decide. I am weak of will and mind.

Elf on Elf violence is a known problem (or not if you're a dawi fan I guess). But you don't need to engage in too much of it if you don't want to. Pick Tyrion, his opinion bonus with fellow high elves really helps. You only need to murder those high elves that are immediately hostile to you (Caledor first and foremost, if only for the waystone fragments.), peace out all the rest. Remember that doing Vortex rituals gives you an increasing opinion bonus with other members of your race. Combined with Tyrion's natural bonus, it's not that difficult to make most other high elves love you. Then just confederate them one after another. Keep yourself busy with killing dark elves on Ulthuan. And be proactive about the Vampirate threat, don't forget that the Norscans will come for you at some point, and consider sacking parts of Naggaroth if you have time. It's better to be relatively compact when doing Vortex rituals, so don't bother expanding outside of Ulthuan too much. Also, you can make mad cash through trading, consider letting some of the minor high elves live to serve as trading partners and meat shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Afriscipio posted:

Any tips for playing the Vortex with Alith Anar? I feel like my campaign grinds to a halt after I secure Nagarythe and then the dark elves all start declaring war on me.

I'm usually proactive and don't bother with Nagarythe at all until I've dealt with most of the surrounding Dark Elves. Conquer their poo poo to prevent them from getting too strong and also strengthen your position. Nagarythe can wait, it won't immediately help you too much anyways.