Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I just encountered this problem in my Tyrion campaign. Ulthuan is too drat loving big and those chaos fuckers spawn on the other side of the mountains from the cities they needed to assault, which means my armies are all caught there too. I have to trek all around the impassible mountains and meanwhile I've already lost three cities. It's ridiculous that they spawn with like five hell canons making those walls utterly useless. Though in general this campaign has kind of been a snooze fest as it takes far too long to get anything but spearmen and archers, even lothern seea guard take a while to actually grab because their upkeep is doubled off basic spearmen and archers. And well given the size of UIlthuan...its better to just make more armies with....spearmen and archers. I'm finally in a position now that I own 90% of the island to upgrade but currently I'm trying to repel aforementioned chaos bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I might've confederated too easily then. I'm not sure. Ellyrion ran wild, taking over the entire western half of the island but they were friends with me. I confederated Yvrese, then Avelorn, and then them, which left me with most of the island. The big problem was Saphery HATED my guts the entire game, and this lead to Malekith being able to get them to join war with me. Which kind of lead to the situation I'm in right now, my armies converging to collapse on Saphery and take them out, saw the ritual cities were all on inner Ulthuan, hit the button, and then right as I do everything goes to poo poo on the outside.

E; Also I've been avoiding military alliances like the plague after my experience in the first game. Are they handled any better here?

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 29, 2017

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

:argh: This randomly spawning Chaos army with hellcanons is the most bullshit thing imaginable. They really need to not have siege engines so you have time to respond, because they just randomly loving spawn. Who the hell thought this was fun? If you get unlucky you just lose huge swaths of settlements. Also apparently just by losing one city my income went from +4k to -12k. :psyduck: So I'm pretty much hosed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So my impressions from last night mostly revolve around the ritual mechanics being nothing but unfun bullshit. It seems you are heavily heavily punished for even taking your 'home' territory, in this case Ulthuan. The map is too big or your movement speed is too slow. The ritual armies spawn with siege weapons so all those defenses you put in place are meaningless. I know people have managed to win with Tyrion, so I'm kind of wondering what was your strategy? Did you just stick to Lothern/Caledor/the one with Shrine of Asuryan? What were your army comps? Did you just stick with spearmen/archers to get enough armies to cover all your territory? I'm really scrambling to come up with a strategy that lets you do the fun thing of unifying your starting position while also competing with the stupid rituals. Do you just ignore the rituals and just go wipe out the other factions?

Like right now I've got Tyrion's super stack which has all the fun toys, but then the rest of my stacks are basically 2x silverhelms, 1x eagle claw bolt thrower, and then as many white lions and lothern sea guard as possible. Unfortunately this means I can only field 6 armies, which is nowhere near enough to defend Ulthuan from the random bullshit spawns.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

armies with siege weapons own when you manually do the battle

if they got more then 2 cannons, get off of the walls, let them come in, set up kill zones inside

the artillery will only fire if it has an arc if you are not against a wall but you can let it fire, wipe out the guys inside, maybe send cav outside to deal with the arty

they are easy wins

It's more for the fact that they spawn miles away from my armies and wipe out a whole province in three turns.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Beer Hall Putz posted:

- Teclis is a harder start than Tyrion.
- If it's turn 15-20, you can't afford an army full of Sea Guard. Early High Elf armies should be basic spearmen and basic bowmen only (can squeeze in 1-3 bolt throwers if you can get them, but it's not worth waiting around for the building to complete). Ditch the phoenix (on both lords), it won't pull it's weight.
- Fortified settlements are easy to take as the high elves, as you can usually position your archers away from the bulk of tower damage and massacre the defenders.
- If your main army is cheap and effective, then you can quickly recruit a throwaway lord + a few units to defend against a rebellion. Capitals have strong garrisons and the AI is hopeless.

The trick is to keep your early armies cheap, so you can keep moving and upgrade what you're taking.

Is the Phoenix being bad only a thing on VH? On hard the fire one Tyrion gets has worked out great for me. The enemy archer AI is terrified of it, so just by flying over them they run away and stop shooting. The bombs can rack up decent hp damage the terror it causes is useful. I do agree that after that the best army is nothing but spearmen and archers, which is loving boring as hell. But it works and sadly money doesn't let you do anything else.

Perestroika posted:

The weird thing is that sometimes the game actually does it right. On the last ritual all the stacks spawned about 3-4 turns' worth of travel away from my borders, and there was a deliberate camera pan that showed me where they'd be coming from. It was tight, but gave me just enough time to redeploy my armies to meet they reached my borders. If it worked like that every time, it would be far less of a hassle. It almost seems like the former version is how it's intended to work all the time, but something just causes the spawning logic to spaz out and dump them anywhere there's space more than half the time.

Wow that almost makes them sound bearable. And yeah I don't really get the suck it up thing, since even the second ritual spawned four full armies of Skaven and Chaos, far too much for one of my crappy armies (crappy because I had no gold to field anything good), to take.

Like if I was going to mod anything, I'd want there to be more gold/less upkeep so you can field enough armies to cover the massive map, and if we can't make the ritual stacks actually spawn and approach or JUST focus the ritual cities, remove their siege weapons.

You know, beyond getting someone with actual skill to make it so that the high elves are actually gender balanced as they should. :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

So here are my hopes for future DLC for this game

Khemri (All but confirmed I think?)
Araby
Tilea/Estalia could be pretty neat.
A few more lord options for the current factions would be cool, but I don't really feel a need for them.
It would be pretty sweet if the Amazons got a pre-TW3 dlc release like Norsca.

Overall though i'm super pumped to be playing as Ogre Kingdoms and using gut magic one day in the future.

e: Do y'all know what's going to happen with lord trees in the new map? Are old world lords getting the level 40 cap or are new world lords getting shrunk to 30?

It'd probably hurt balance a lot but drat it I want my AP High Elven missiles. Doesn't feel right without Sisters of Avelorn or Shadow Warriors. As I do really want Alarielle (because I want female lords) and Alith Anar as lords. Also White Lion Chariots.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My main problem is you soon run out of trading partners. I guess if you ignore the ritual you can keep some of the lizardmen interested in trading, and I imagine Teclis has more options, but as Tyrion you eventually conquer Ulthuan and just sit there with all these resources but no one to hand them off to.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nessin posted:

You can mod the game, just the workshop is disabled. I'm already using a skill point mod and while I haven't tried it the Steel Faith Overhaul group already has a release for Warhammer 2.

--------------------------

In other news, how in the hell are you supposed to Skaven? I had no trouble early on, I gained control the initial province, skipped over to kill the elves next to the other Skaven and the ones across the water on the island, and managed to kill the first lizardman just north of you when they stupidly rolled out of their capital to take on the other skaven who went over to salvage the ruins. But that is it, hard road block now.

Basically I can field a full army of decent units (mostly Clanrats and slingers, with Rat Ogres, my initial Stormvermin, and two artillery pieces forming the actual power) and a full army of skavenslaves as backup. But even with that I can't take on anyone surrounding me. I mean I can get around them and take out their towns, and if I engage one full stack with both mine in the field I can beat it just barely. However the losses take so long to recover from that the AI has already rebuilt back to full strength. And if I fight over a castle, even if they sally forth, the extra reinforcements are too much. Even focusing on Clanrat boosts (research and leader skills) a single Lizardman can hold the line against 3 Clanrats, even when surrounding them with the flank and rear attack bonus. The only way I've been able to win those field fights is by using my unit advantage to lock down everything they've got in place and then drop my general, assassin, and rat ogres on top of the enemy general to force him of the field.

I'm at the point where I can finally build up at least Stormvermin, which I imagine will make a difference but then I'm spending dozens of turns running back, disbanding and recruiting, and then getting back to the fight. And that is just super frustrating, all in the interest of killing basic troops. I have to be missing something, or maybe just suck, but I don't even know how to improve at this point.

Have a link to where I can get this mod? Lacking extra skill points is making me be a baby and not play while I wait on the workshop.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thanks!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sieges take way too long to tick over in general. Be more interesting if they were like 8 turns to end in general or something. Make it more of a choice.

Totally not because I think Warhammer siege battles are massive cases of rear end and every single time I'd prefer a field fight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Youkannadozaat :allears:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think there are big weaknesses in at least the High Elf campaign. Spearmen and Bows are both VERY cost efficient but very reliable to the point where it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade for anything beyond Lothern Sea Guard. And you are so limited by upkeep this game. If you had more money to play around with you could actually work those cool late game units into your army. Though even then, without ap, archers that can blot out the skys are just really good. Dark Elves kind of have the same issue with their ranged being so good it over shadows the big stompy monsters.

Lizardmen are great fun especially the more dinos you add and they actually have a good economy so you're not just using skinks the entire game. And Skaven are Skaven and great. So those races are both fine. I don't really know what could be done to fix the flow of the dark elf and high elf campaigns though.

As for the AI I really like it, aside from blobbing up on the tactical map. I like that it's more suicidally aggressive, doesn't just run away like a little poo poo, and actually wants to fight you outside of stomps in it's favor. :shrug:

Siege battles are the albatross around this series neck though, they are criminally unfun and need custom maps to be remotely enjoyable.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Actually having the Vortex not be a clock is a very good thing because the mechanics for the ritual are terrible. You have to either build super tall or just be okay with losing a lot of territory due to the fact that the stacks that spawn are bullshit with no logic so there's no way you can actually prepare for it. If the ritual stacks were better handled, then sure the Vortex could be an actual doom clock, but as is I'm very happy it's not.

Yukitsu posted:

Did you guys seriously just not play Shogun 2 or something?

Or hell, Britain in Medieval 2?

You don't get anything other than trash mobs because the units are better, you get them because they're fun to use damnit.

Yeah but it comes in very late in the campaign when I can afford to do that. And sure Tyrion's army of phoenixes and dragons and swordmasters is awesome and fun to use but that's only one army.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So if I just want to play boring and tall as Teclis in order to get the achievements for completing the dumb campaign, what provinces should I own? I have The Dragon Isles, the Turtle Isles, and the Forbidden Jungle, is there any other expansion target or is it time to spam end turn a shitload?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Aurubin posted:

Wonder who's gonna be the High Elf dlc legendary lord. Allariele is the heavy hitter in terms of story, but I dunno what would make her that different from Teclis. Give her only healing/buffs? Also her hair is stupid.

Alith Anar would work as a bow hero, to split the difference between Teclis and Tyrion, but no shadow warriors. Problem for the rest of them is they don't really stand out, and Caradyn is mute, so that seems out of the question.

The other dlc lords are easier, skink for the Lizardmen and a grey seer/warlock engineer for the Skaven.

I hope it's Alarielle because I want more woman lords in general. And as a caster she's only focused on defense buffs/healing. As well, when near daemonic units, she is a mortis engine to them, at the cost of being worse at her own spell casting because both her and daemons are anathema to one another.

In general I think the Queen and the Crone just works too well from a marketing standpoint to not go in, and that presumably it would add Shadow Warriors and Alith Anar can slip in as flc somewhere down the line.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah they've done a good job as well on balancing the 'evil' and 'good' factions as well, putting up big showers that people are fans of. I get that some people are fans of Chaos, and while evil, Chaos Dwarves have most magnificent hats. It's just there's not going to be a big 'pop' with what's left army book wise. Kislev, as much as I love them are better suited to being a DLC rather than a head liner I'd think, also given their position on the map and where game 3 would take place. Which is why I basically think they need to flesh out Cathay because something from Warhammer that's never been seen before would certainly be a cool draw.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the load times are much better, with the same machine, but turn times are much, much worse. And you can't even alt-tab for the five minutes it takes because you're going to get spammed with the same 20 alliance requests.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eh as all dark elves are from Nagarythe they do tend to have dark hair while high elves from the rest of Ulthuan tend towards fair hair. But other than that there isn't a divergence or anything.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Amazons are the stretch I most want to see, because hey it's always nice to see more badass ladies. Same reason I want all the female LL's in. It helps that it pisses off TWC.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Going back a page or to the question of lords on mounts, my general understanding was that lords with monsterous mounts were always worth it combat wise, so your gryphons, dragons, dinos, etc. So basically horses/pegasi/eagles/terrodons aren't really worth it for pure combat stats, though obviously a fast flyer does have utility. I have been using Malahandir for Tyrion, is he not worth it? The 100 speed is very very useful for being wherever he needs to be.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'd love if armies had organization restrictions. Maybe not borrowed directly from the tabletop, and not 100% locked, but like if you had core/special/heavy/skirmish slots it'd at least help the AI out. And for the player you could use those powerful units earlier, like if you're sticking to army org their upkeep is lower, but you can break the org to recruit whatever, but just suffer upkeep penalties so you'd have to be rich to afford.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Main problems with high magic are Arcane Unforging and Fiery Convocation. Apotheosis and Hand of Glory are great for their cost and are easy ways to trigger the amazing trait. Tempest is also incredible at destroying flyers. Overcasted Convocation actually does the damage it should, the base having no ap, but it costs pretty much all your winds and is decently easy to dodge. Arcane Unforging is just bad for it's wind cost.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

Soul Quench also sucks, to the point where you forgot to mention it.

I don't think I've ever seen a magic missile where I'm like this is an awesome use of winds. Doombolt comes the closest but it's overshadowed by all the other spells in Dark as is.

Also related to the high elves, has anyone made a mod that would make sure the militia units at least are mixed gender? Just for fluff accuracy? Though I keep wanting to wait on Alarielle LL dlc.

Also Kislev is best faction because everything is about bears and bears are the superior beast.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

You know, I'm rather curious, has anyone ever done testing on how the various melee lords compare to one another? While I assume at the top it's Khloek and mounted Kroq'gar on top, I'd be curious to see how the more midtier guys stack up like Tyrion and Grimgor.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

The repopulation rate is extra impressive considering there's like six women in the entire world and half of them are undead.

Hey that's 4 more than there are in 40k unless something changed recently. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think the whole preventing the player from getting too overpowering is something the Paradox games tend to handle well. Wars are more limited in scope, it takes effort to incorporate territory, there's actual internal and external politics. TW games have sadly never had the overworld as anything more than a pretty backdrop to the battles, which as stated, get old fast because of how many you have to fight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

There are some mods out there that skyrocket growth so you get to t5 quicker. Honestly I use them because it's more fun getting the cool stuff earlier, and they are universal so they should help the ai. I've not seen anything that increases starting funds though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah, I really enjoyed some battles in Rome 2 where it'd be my army of Legionaires against three armies and it'd be a narrow close fought thing. I don't know if I just played worse (not getting night battles was a thing I did, I also would deploy my melee army in three lines rather than one big line to overwhelm and flank the enemy as I do now), or if it's just that TW battles feel more brutal. Stuff goes down super fast so I don't really have a feeling of being slowly ground down as much as blink and half my army is barely there.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm a big high elf fan girl and the high elves have been translated decently so I remain with them. I think Teclis's Vortex campaign is the most interesting in terms of foes, but I tend to play Tyrion more because I like him better. Being able to become a god of war in campaign is great. Teclis's spells are kind of the epitome of boring but effective to me. Though I also love Alarielle so my opinion is probably off on that. (Alarielle dlc in May pleaaaaase)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Handmaidens of the Everqueen would be an interesting hero unit, could have guardian, though nobles already have spears and are anti-large. I do hope they get in in someway.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

One issue is how to distinguish Handmaidens from Shadow Masters. Could be variants on the same "slot" like different lores of wizards. They're both hybrid melee/ranged heroes

Yeah that is an issue. One could also be a low model count variant? Sort of a Sword of Chaos type unit. I'm biased to the Handmaiden getting the hero nod, but I just want to see more badass ladies.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I was disappointed they didn't bother to model the units as mixed, given that unlike dwarves, they actually had a female elf model to use. And I haven't found a mod that fixes this, or even really know if it's possible. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The performance issues have been my biggest issue with the game. The long turn timers pale in comparison to game 1's and I don't really feel my PC's slowness in the other games I play. (Though I admit that it could do with an upgrade but buying all of that is a far biggest investment than a new game or whatever.) I will probably pick up Queen and the Crone (whenever it comes out) just to get an Alarielle game under my belt.

For remaining DLC, I'm sure it won't happen but Amazons would own. In general the Warhammer world is so rich, and as many have said before, this game is our last farewell to the good Old World, that I really want everything to get released and put in eventually, but realistically, it looks like we won't get that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just watched the video, I dig Alarielle’s spring-colour tree folk.

I kinda love/hate how both of these lords have classic godawful GW hair. It ain’t GW without dumb topknots.

Alarielle looks awesome. :colbert: I do wish she'd also get Pha's Protection from Light, since she has three lores but I guess CA's system doesn't work for that?

Only thing I'm disappointed on missing out on is White Lion Chariots. Mostly because they are cool, not because I make a ton of use of chariots. No Skycutter is kinda lame too because a flying artillery unit would've been awesome.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Full Amazon faction with gorilla monstrous infantry and wrist lasers. :pray:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The eternal problem with AoS is the lore started out just awful AND it blew up a beloved setting. So it's working uphill to get people to care about it. There have actually been some good models, like I actually like the new Morathi, even if her naga form continues the recent trend of GW of how the gently caress do you transport this monstrosity and not have it break? Their original models suffered from the way too many fiddly bits and just were too busy, but they've toned that back and yeah, a lot of stuff looks okay now.

I'm still mad about losing the Old World and always will be though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mordja posted:

AOS is just too far removed from anything resembling reality to be relatable imo. At least 40K has the IG. Plus I just don't like most of its model design, it's all kind of generic, D&D high fantasy you'd see anywhere else VS the concept of "Landrecht vs Ancient Alien Aztec Lizardman" you'd get in Warhammer.

Yeah basically, it's just HeMan esque fantasy, while trying to shoehorn in the Grimdarkness of 40k. And I mean, I like 40k aesthetically but I never found it that compelling narativelly. Like the sheer scale of things in 40k are meant to convey how dark things are, but it also makes it hard to care about this general and this planet being destroyed or whatever. The Imperium has more. Meanwhile it's easy to care about Tabacland or Tor Yvresse or Karak Kadrin or what have you because it's an actual place with history and stakes in it. (No matter how many times they get sacked :v:)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's like reality balls in space around a glorious city that's also a star and there's a giant dragon or something.

(this is less dumb than the real thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mordja posted:

How did that work anyways? Whoever bought the more models could field the bigger army?

No whoever had Kairos Fateweaver and a Screaming Bell won. You see, there were no army restrictions. Kairos had a once per game ability to just make any dice roll whatever you said it was, even if that wasn't possible. The Screaming Bell had a rule that said if you rolled a 13 on 2d6 you won the game. So if you went first with those two...

Another smash hit was recursive terrain. You see rules as written terrain counted as a unit. So you could have an all terrain army. And then you could put all the terrain inside other terrain. So unless your opponent had Kairos and a Bell, they couldn't win because your army was terrain and not able to be attacked.

Edit: This doesn't even get into the horribly cringy rules for the old armies if you wanted to play anything that wasn't Khorne Bloodbound Bloodpriest Bloodslaughter Bloodsecrators or Sigmarines.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2018