Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

What's the best way to get this on steam, is there a collection that has all the DLC? Should I just wait for pieces of it to go on sale?

I kind of feel like waiting for Total War: Warhammer 3 is the smarter move, but then I read about how DLC purchases move to the next game, and that there is a unifying world-spanning campaign map but only if you own TW:WH1 and TW:WH2?

I really liked Shogun 2, didn't care for Rome 2, and in general I like the total war series. I'm not a warhammer enthusiast but I can accept it as a generic fantasy setting, let's go. Wait for warhams 3, or get warhams 2 and eventually buy wharhams 1 since giant world-spanning maps are the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm used to the model of "new total war game = new total war DLC, non transferable. "

It sounds more complicated than before but possibly more beneficial to the consumer if they're eventually wrapping everything up in a TWW 1-3 package that has all the content which would be excellent. I imagine the game engine gets improved as well and they'll use the TWW3 version, but maybe they're released close enough together that it's all relatively the same engine and won't suffer.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Gonkish posted:

Think of the first two games (and all of their DLC) as giant DLCs for the third game.

I'd say grab WH1 and WH2 on sale, install WH2, and play some campaigns. Get an idea of what you like, and what DLC seems interesting. All of it will move forward into WH3 eventually (because I'd bet the Mortal Empires equivalent in WH3 won't be immediately available at launch).

Thanks, I'll put it on the look-for-sale list. Appreciate the info everyone.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I've played a good amount of the total war series but TWW2 is the first warhammer one, I'm delighted so far.

Playing Malekith dark elves for my first run and it's going well so far. I think I understand the risk of big units, even though it might be fun to build a bunch of black dragons or hydras or something, the more cost effective black corsairs handbows and basic spear infantry are probably the way to go. Which is a bit of a shame since giant end-game units are usually more fun, but like Shogun 2 it's all about mass ashigaru, in SP and MP. Very cool how the heroes actually participate in combat now, that was a welcome surprise.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm playing Malekith dark elves for my first Total Warhammer (vortex campaign) experience and it's quite good. I am a total war veteran so I understand sieges, upkeep, slaves, and the province mechanics from Rome 2. Still have to say it's more fun than I expected,. The magic and ample in-universe fluff help the formula shine. Shogun 2 was my personal favorite prior to this.

In the vortex campaign I thought my lord was pretty overpowered until I tried to stamp out the infinitely resurrecting sisters of twilight faction. That was like elf vietman but eventually I got the upper hand with 2v1 full army stacks and relentless razing of their towns. In the east I decided to wipe out all the other competing dark elf factions but now that I realize what the victory condition is I think it may have been best to reconsider and just form alliances with those factions. That strat never worked out very well for me in other TW games though; if you own the territory you know where you stand so just wipe out the pretenders and manage it yourself. A global upkeep increase for each lord recruited seems new in this game (?). It makes sense due to how powerful a lvl 20 leader is compared to previous games.

e: it feels weird to invest 30k druchii dinars into black arks but they are obviously quite good, just kind of slow to get started and a little confusing about when it can engage in land battles vs. sieges vs. naval battles. Everything else is fairly straightforward total war rules but I'm still reloading autosaves thinking, "wait, I thought this fleet was going to support that land army battle" etc. It seems like when ship armies collide they decide to amicably agree to land their ships, deploy their armies, and have a land battle. That's probably for the best based on my experience with prior titles' naval battles, yeesh.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 5, 2021