Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Jon from ManyATrueNerd has a DLC preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNGpKCBifc8

i'm still at page 75 of this thread, but I'm really looking forward to re-playing both Empire and lizardman campaigns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
played Nakai for a couple hours and he's a lot of fun. starting near so much skaven just gives hilarious battles of hundreds of rats melting to a handful of chunky lizards.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Gonkish posted:

Holy poo poo you can recruit multiples of some of the RoR you get from Elector counts. There's a 10 turn cooldown between, but still. Although it looks like you only get one blue steam tank.

EDIT: Tried loading the no intro movies mod. Just that. Game freezes when I click on Wulfhart on the campaign selection screen. Disabled it, and the game is fine. Tried loading the Home Region Movement Bonus mod... same deal. Looks like mods are borked again?

I’ve seen some of my mods update through the day. I toggled on the ones with green checks and my game loaded fine, but half still need an update still so my helf ME campaign is on hold for now and I’m enjoying a vanilla Vortex game with Nakai.

Hopefully everything works soon

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Yeah I had to load with nothing active, get through the new movies, started a game, created a hard save, then quit and restarted with the move skip active and I was good

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
home region movement bonus updated in the time I left work an hour ago and just not got home.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The easiest way to set up your melee for Empire/dwarfs imo is to drag them out in a single wide line and then ctrl-down arrow all of them a couple times to increase ranks and decrease frontage. You end up with a nice line of squares with gaps to drop your missile units into.

this is life changing holy moley

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I'm starting a beastmen ME campaign - so obviously lots of Minotaurs is good, which is what I am working toward now, but what is recommended as a support unit that compliments them well? Warhounds? Cav unit of some sort?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Zore posted:

Honestly a bunch of chaff works well. Have a bunch of Ungors/Gor Herds to mix them in to, they'll soak the damage and the Minotaurs can dish it out since the big weakness of Minos is that they're squishy as hell and will die if you send them out unsupported

Otherwise pair them with doggos/Centigors so you can run down opposing skimirshers and archers. Late game Cygors rule.

I've been using them to rush the gates on siege battles and... this doesn't seem to be the case? they run up, smash through the gates and kill all the soft squishy bits behinds the gates while barely taking damage.

Lord w/ replenishment skills & 19 Minotaurs seems like it will be a winning strategy once I get there? Fun for some mindless smashy-smash, but maybe they'll get a campaign update someday?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
drat Dwarf talk is getting me in the mood to do a ME run. perfect turtle campaign lol

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
After 500 hours of (mostly) vanilla WH2, I'm downloading SFO and am thinking about starting with a Ikit Claw ME campaign. I hadn't looked into it much, but I like that its not just "LETS MAKE IT 1000x HARDER"

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
edit: okay, so I went for the package that has 44 mods in a collection and it won't load, even with the clearly out of date mods disabled. Should I just do the Blood Grounds overhaul to start? is that the main mod?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
SFO newb update - OOOOOH UNIT CAPS THIS IS GREAT

this is making me pour over each of the unit and settlement building descriptions to discover all the changes and scrutinize which upgrades I choose. this is a really neat twist, granted I'm only on turn 3 of an Ikit ME campaign. Anybody that hasn't tried this, go for it, especially if you have lots of time in the vanilla campaign and therefore have most everything in memory.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 15, 2019

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Hungry posted:

In non-SFO mod speak, has anybody here tried out that underway overhaul mod?

which one is that? underway fights are a fun change of pace just because the map is long and narrow, but what does the overhaul do?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Zore posted:

Skavenslaves having the expendable trait means you don't get any morale penalties when they rout

A relatively early skill in Ikit's tech tree is to add expendable to clanrat units too, but slaves are cheaper of course

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Warhammer 3 should be their fall 2020 title, yes?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

chaleski posted:

I've dropped countless campaigns mostly because I'm bad at this game and get steamrolled after running my campaign poorly

this is my truth.

I have ~550 hours in WH2 (since picking it up during this most recent summer sale) and have finished 1 campaign.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m not sure how you get steamrolled if you survive the first 50 turns or so tbh.

I survive, just get bored

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
what would be a good faction for all-cav? I want to have a fullstack just rolling over people

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Fuligin posted:

Congrats on making it through the early slog of orc stacks, that's what always puts me off my dwarf campaigns before i can actually fight any other factions. I should try a karak kadrin start I guess

I’m 50 turns into a Karak ME game after bouncing off the other lords and I’m having a lot of fun. It’s tempting to confederate with the main big dwarf faction, and they’ll happily agree if I offer, but it always becomes a clusterfuck within a few turns, so I save-scummed back before confederation and am playing tall

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

yeeeeeaaaahh

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
the dlc expected to be available tomorrow right?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I would at least buy 1 & 2 so you can enjoy the Mortal Empires campaign.

Those two will give you hundreds of hours of play.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
it is absolutely bonkers how fast the turns go now.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have the same problem so I try to focus on a gimmick. Gimmicks as Skaven are hecka fun.

Here is a link to an effortpost I did about a Skryre army: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726
You can literally go 100% gunline and do well, you just need to be patient till you can build all of that stuff then be comfortable sitting still and shooting everything (some people find this boring; I love it). Each of my Skryre armies has:
  • 2x Warp Lightning Cannons
  • 3x Plagueclaws
  • 4x Jezzails
  • 4x Ratling Guns
You can win most battles with just that, your Warlock Master lord (always Warlock Masters, especially as Skryre), and a Warlock Engineer. I think with Ikit Claw himself I add two more Jezzails and some Warpfire Throwers, but that will change with the new Skaven units in this most recent DLC. Anything I have tried adding to that baseline above has been great.

Putting things in the same control group every battle also helps me - I always put the lord as 1, Warlock Engineer as 2, Doomflayers as 3, Warp Lightning Cannons as 4, Plagueclaws as 5, Jezzails as 6, and Ratlings as 7. This way if I suddenly need something to die and/or move I can select the group and click. It is a lot of units but in essence it is only three different unit types + lords: Artillery, Jezzails, and Ratlings. Most things are beat up by the time they get in range of the Ratlings so the Ratlings rarely require micro.

this might be a dumb question, but why ratling guns over warpfire throwers? I've always been split on this, is it the AP damage specifically?

I'm back into an Ikit ME campaign, though I've started it dozens of times before, I've never seen it through. The previous suggestions on how to do under-cities properly has spurred me back in.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Thanks. That all makes sense. I never got far enough to worry about how the bonuses stack, and the warp fire just looks cool (I acknowledge I am a dumbass) but gunners it is!

I bought W2, all it’s dlc and all the dlc I’d missed from W1 during the summer sale and have almost 800 hours in, and the more I learn the more I love it. I have 1000s of hours in the historical TWs but have no prior knowledge of the warhammer universe before this. It’s rather addicting.

I also just found out there’s a Warhammer miniatures store here in Brookline, MA so I will get over there sooner than later, even just for a few LL figures for my desk

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Reading through the Gotrek and Felix books (currently on the novella with the dwarf steamship) is making me realize how much I really want naval combat in these games. I feel like alot of the units could literally be recycled assets from Empire, Rome 2, and probably FotS with some minor mods.

I feel like I’ve heard the folks on 3MA talk this out enough to just embrace that naval combat in strategy games is bad in general, except when the dev tries to get “creative” with it and then it’s just an arbitrary abstraction. I’m fine with how they handle ship battles in W2, in that they just say gently caress it, the two armies square off on a low land map and we call it there

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I finally visited the Warhammer store here in Brookline, MA. Its a neat little shop - 4 people inside, a guy at a painting table, two dudes playing at a big rear end table, and the manager who was nice enough to understand I knew gently caress-all about this world, outside of TW:W1/W2. I confessed my ignorance and basically said I hopeful to find a figure or two I could get for my desk at work. He guided me to the relevant section and told me a bit of how and where to start. I had heard before it is a crazy-expensive hobby and I now have a new appreciation for that fact.

In the end, I bought the Skaven book because gently caress yeah, Skaven.

Looking inside, I might need to order a Plagueclaw catapult or a Doomwheel, but that'd be it. I really don't have time for anything else. I half-thought about asking if I could purchase a finished figure, but I'll just enjoy the lore section and the figure pictures in the book.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Nash posted:

If you want a finished painted figure you could ask around at the shop if anyone does commission work. Also if you do decide to do this see examples of what they have painted before agreeing to anything.

yeah, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll call the guy up tomorrow and ask what the total cost if I bought the Doomwheel figure and all the needed supplies to paint it, then ask if he knows anyone that does commission work. Can't hurt to ask. I figure it'd be a bit of a splurge no doubt, but I've put 800 hours into TW2 since i bought it during the summer sale, so I can justify it as more than a passing interest. I won't be going deep on the actual tabletop game, just want a nice figure. If a commission is wildly expensive, I could see doing it myself over the course of a few months for a single Doomwheel. Shame I missed out on the WH Old World stuff and they're all now Age of Sigmar. I just don't recognize any of the lords lol.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 27, 2019

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Stephen9001 posted:

(seriously though, what would be a good name for that if they ever do it?).

Would they do Age of Sigmar? I dunno. I’m still pretty new to the warhammer universe. I’m not sure where they’d go once they’ve released the very last DLC or patch.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
i dream that Medieval 3 is a trilogy like WH, where each game is stand alone but they merge into one mega-campaign

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
am I stupid for having a hero that specializes in destroying walls and having them hit a spot before my army rolls in behind them? Fully kitted out, they have 5 wall sections knocked out. People here always talk about other options so I'm willing to accept maybe I'm doing it wrong for some reason I don't realize, but a wall-knocking hero has done fine for me so far.

all this Ikit talk has gotten me distracted from my Norsca run and here I am, starting up Ikit. I don't think I've started more campaigns (without actually finishing because of distractions) than Ikit.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

HoboTech posted:

So I'm playing Ikit yesterday and I'm upgrading my weapons teams in the workshop, as one does. Whenever I do this I always think it's weird they only have upgrades for a few of the weapons teams. Why don't they have upgrades for any of the other...

Holy poo poo you can scroll down in the Workshop. There's 3 more unit upgrade panels under there. I literally never saw that until last night. This is amazing.

wait what

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Enigma posted:

How are the new mortars? I haven't gotten far enough in campaign yet to get one.

Mortars are perfect for mid-range thinning-the-ranks as the enemy approaches.

Get them to advance with a couple plagueclaws > crush them with mortars > blitz the remains with ratlings

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
how in the hell am I supposed to win this Liber Bubonicus quest battle?

8700 undead vs 1700 rats. I am trying to focus on the Necromancers but poo poo, I just get overrun

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Ammanas posted:

plague monks and pestilent breaths.

jokes posted:

Definitely don’t lean too hard on ranged units or expensive spells, so plague monks and stormvermin are great. Artillery ain’t great, either.

Rat ogres cycle charging is good.

Wild Horses posted:

Like 3-4 plagueclaws in a tight circle, surrounded by plague monks.
SKROLK and his plague priest friends stay in the outer edges and tank/drop spells. Dont let the Wolves and Bats reach your arty

this did it, thanks all.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

toasterwarrior posted:

Chaos Dwarfs, Ogres, Dogs of War, and Daemons of Chaos are the only remaining ones with proper army books dating back to 5th edition. Kislev, IIRC, has an army booklet.

I'd love if Kislev got a proper setup to be the front line option against chaos invasion

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Enigma posted:

Am I remembering wrong, or in Rome Total War (and maybe Medieval II) the AI would sometimes arrange their army in the town square and wait for you there rather than contest the walls, leading to a meat grinder at the town square feeder streets. That was at least more entertaining than sieges now where the AI just waits to be shot at your leisure, helpfully facing half its shielded infantry backwards on the walls.

they both did that

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

jokes posted:

VH/H seems to be the sweet spot for a bit of challenge but not stupid poo poo like unbreakable militia units or coked-out chariots with 10k APM. Having a campaign difficulty below VH makes things way, way too easy after you have even a little momentum.

Doing this now with Ikit after puttering around in easy modes and VH/H is no big deal now that I’ve watched a bunch of those army guides and have read this thread (love the artillery-heavy skaven build that has come up more than a few times in discussion) and I can handle it.

This all foolishly makes me believe I can go through all the races again for VH achievements

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
okay, so I think Gotrek & Felix has broken my campaign. I use them in raiding stance to bait armies while my fullstack is positioned right in front of them in ambush stance and the AI just can't resist sending a relatively weak stack after what they think is just two dudes raiding only to get easily smashed by my better army, rinse & repeat.

e: this has been possible since the beginning with any lord + hero combo, I just didn't think of doing this since G&F

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

oh yeah, this is exactly what I've wanted for a long time. will try tonight