Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So I really want to like Total War games but keep bouncing off them a couple battles in (too lazy to get good at RTSes I suppose). Tried Rome, Shogun, at least one other old one. I also want to like Warhammer but have always bounced off it. Is it worth getting one of these two games while it's on sale and should I start with one to save the five bucks in case I don't like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Has anyone found any mods to change up the UI to make it bigger/more readable? I often play on the TV and it won't let make the UI larger than 100% natively

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Well, 60ish hours total playing time over the last few weeks in and I beat a Vortex campaign. Did Kroq Gor on Normal, still pausing and playing on slow a lot during battles, and I autoresolve most really lopsided battles (for or against me). On my third try with him I got an early sacred Carnosaur spawn, and another 10 turns later, and that gave me a 20 stack that pushed me through a lot of the early game. Still reloaded a few failure states, and also when my guys couldn't make it to an enemy I thought they could.

I lined my lords up wrong for the final Skaven push, had a guy with mostly skinks + Krox defending the golden pyramid chokepoint on the map (Kroq Gar was up rampaging through High Elf land to stop their ritual, even captured their capital for the last 40 turns) and barely got a fresh dino army there as support when three level 40 Skaven lords hit the golden pyramid. It was a pretty epic battle, as a couple of other lords hit the same site a couple turns earlier so there was still a big hole in the wall, and reinforcements from both sides kept coming, with my Carnosaurs finally appearing after my lines started to take serious casualties and turning the tide against the big Skaven monsters and war machines that appeared at the end. The final battle was a bit anticlimactic after that, since Kroq had an absurd army. Also had fun earlier with a 11-stack of laser dinos + guards that I had defend my capital at the end, unnecessarily.

Learned a bunch of stuff in the last 20 turns that would have probably cut the turn time by a third to a half, like how to use heroes, and in the last 10 turns I realized that Star Chambers (+2 starting hero levels) are absurd and dismissed several level 10 dudes to immediately give Kroq a couple level 26 Carnosaur riding Saurian heros on literally the last turn. Abusing stuff like that (and the rituals, which I also barely used) will make my next playthrough a lot easier.

I bought the first game for Mortal Empires before the Steam sale ended. Now to try something out there, what should I do next?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I'm likely not buying anything until the next big sale, but what DLC add units that seem "essential" for the sets of the two base games' factions?
It's a bit confusing watching "first 20 turns" playthroughs to see how a faction/lord plays and then discovering they don't have the archers or whatever being spammed.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So I'm playing Repanse in Vortex and doing pretty well (I should move up in difficulty, I wiped out all the tomb King factions by turn forty and now I'm just building my cities to tier five to make murder armies in case anything shows up).

I just noticed I have regiments of renown. Any one want to give me the lowdown? Are they super useful and I should make space for them, or just interesting side-grades?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So, after a few successful Normal campaigns in Vortex (Krox Gar Lizard men, High Elves and Brettonia) and a pretty easy first 50 turns of an Orc campaign, I decided to move up difficulties to Hard and try Mortal Empires. And I'm getting wrecked -- first I tried Manfred and I'm in control but getting ground down in the 30s (and just not having much fun in battles). Then I tried Grombrindal the White Dwarf, who I read was the strongest Dwarf lord, and I just was continually battered by orcs from 3 directions and ultimately wiped out by a waagh around turn 40. (I have only TWW1&2 and the free DLC.)

Is Mortal Empires a lot harder than Vortex, or am I just not good enough for Hard difficulty in general?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Good to know. Is there a mortal Empires campaign people recommend I try? I'm playing orcs with my son watching, so I would rather do something else (that doesn't require DLC), anything particularly fun + a good introduction to hard campaign map difficulty?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Zephro posted:

Late to this but the difficulty ratings given to each LL in the start screen are years out of date. Dwarfs is in no way an "Easy" start now. If you do ever want to try it again, you have to play tall in The Silver Road for quite a few turns because you will get krumped from Death Pass to the south, the Badlands to the West and occasionally from Mount Gunbad to the north. You'll need to build up to a full stack fairly quickly and then recruit a second army to hold Silver Road while you use your first army to go and smash things. You can either beeline for Gunbad, which is one of the richest provinces available, or you can go south and try to take Black Crag, which is also pretty rich and will set Grimgor back pretty badly if you can take it. Wall up every single minor settlement you take, since it makes the AI much more reluctant to attack them and will give you much-needed freedom of movement.

A few random tips:

- Your defence army should usually be in ambush stance near either Pillars of Grungni or Mount Squighorn so you can bait the AI into attacking the city and the fight their stack with your stack plus the garrison
- Karaz-a-Karak has a really strong garrison and should be able to fight off most sieges by itself for a long time
- If you can raze Karag Dron early on then it will slow the greentide down a bit because they will often try to resettle it with a full stack, losing a big chunk of their troops in the process. You can then go and kick it over again and repeat the process
- As soon as you get some Oathgold, forge some cheap +melee defence stuff for your lord. You can use him to tarpit several units of Boyz or Goblins at once and then fire grudge throwers into the melee. They'll basically never hit your lord but will get hundreds of kills each.
- Thorgrim is a better tank than Grombrindal and starts with a grudge thrower. On the other hand grudge throwers are pretty easy to get, and you can make Grombrindal into a decent tank in his own right. Grombrindal also starts with Irondrakes, which take a long time for Thogrim to get and which absolutely pulverise early-game Greenskin stuff. Plus his blue line is amazing.
- Quarrelers are your friend against early-game Greenskins.

Yeah, some of these tips (especially the quarrelers) I figured out on my retry. The rest are great tips I wish I knew earlier! Irondrakes were invaluable, I was genuinely sad when I finally lost that first unit.

I took Black Crag early but it took me like 40 more turns to finally kill off grimgor after he confederated wurrzag and a few other factions, mostly because it took me a while to realize how to defend the silver road. Black Crag was the key to my defense vs them and the skaven, who kept trying to swoop in and prey on me once I dealt with waaaghs. I'm at about turn 110 and wiped out all the greenskins about 20 turns ago. I've started confederating all the nearby dwarves and am in a knock down fight with Skaven clans eshin and mors.

Funnily, Karl Franz has taken over most of the map.i can see by wiping out the vampires.

Sega 32X fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 1, 2020

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Finally beat my Hard/Normal Grombrindal campaign (my first completed mortal Empires campaign) on turn 196 (long campaign). I was so pissed off/into settling grudges that I took the extra twenty turns to win the long campaign so I could wipe the skaven off the map. Clan Moulder confederated one of the other Skaven clans I was wiping out around turn 120 so I had to deal with two legendary lords constantly ambushing all my poo poo.

I feel like I never got the hang of using the higher tech dwarf units, most of the game was just me massing quarrelers/dwarf warriors/longbeards since ambushes kept wiping out any more expensive stacks (and growth issues kept me from building higher level buildings). Grombrindal was stuck slugging it out for most of the game on the front lines so I didn't get his quest items until the endgame, so I at least was able to try missile irondrakes and bombers to completely walk through those battles. Don't think I made a single flame tank.

Finally wiped out Grimgor around turn 90, then got stuck fighting Skaven the rest of the game. God I hate Skaven now. There were some real hairy battles early on in that war, and quite a few that ended up with Grombrindal (+ sometimes a Thane) taking on thousands of Skaven and coming out on top. That oathgold Tankard that gives regeneration + immunity to psychology is insane.

It was a big order alliance in the end; Karl basically ruled all of the north and I took the south. I didn't confederate with Ungrim so he and Karl ended up wiping out Archeon before I even saw him. I ended up second strongest after Karl, and neck and neck with one of the lizardmen on the other side of the world.

I had a lot of fun fighting dark elves in the endgame since monsters vs dwarfs was a lot more fun than getting ambushed and having to chase random rallying Skaven units over the battle map. I'm considering a dark elf campaign next (probably going back to the Vortex map), what's the best campaign to not have to fight a million Skaven armies?

Sega 32X fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 11, 2020

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Doing a Hard difficulty Malekith Vortex campaign now (figure he's the DE impacted least by the lack of DLC, and was hoping I could dodge fighting Skaven). I'm about 20 turns in, and of course I'm back to fighting against Skaven after some fun elf battles. Weirdly, though, there is some neutral minor faction dwarf loed dude that showed up in the dark elf province I was half done invading (when the Skaven jumped me) with an army with four or five irondrakes and some explodo squigs. Seems nuts to deal with all those irondrakes now, but at least he seems content standing around in raid stance?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

So, beat a Dark Elves Malekith Hard/Hard campaign. I don't think I'm good enough at RTSes to go above that, I had to reload 4 or 5 times to redo battles and turns. I kind of don't want to put the game down but at this point (beat full campaigns for Kroq Gar, Repanse, Dwarves, and Malekith, and tried Vampire Counts and Tyrion) I really want DLC to go on sale so I can try some of the other factions.

The Dark Elf economy is absurd, I found that after parking Malekith in Aloth's conquered territory I could build a new army every couple of turns and the slave economy made up for it. At the end I was swarming the world with armies of LVL 7-12 heroes with Shades and maybe some hydras and had a bunch of black arks full of super cheap troops bodying all the coastal settlements.

Looking at my stats, I autoresolved like 2/3s of my battles (more at the end game, when I outnumbered guys by a lot or had lovely northern settlements repeatedly sacked by the Vortex enemies). Is that normal? I know I should probably play more battles to get good at the game (and maybe stop reloading when I lose too many and it it looks like I'm going to lose all my momentum), but the campaign already took like 30+ hours, I can't imagine playing out all 250+ battles.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Is there a way to see what happened in the rest of the world after beating the game? I'm usually so tied up in either surviving or just getting to the victory conditions to explore the rest of the map

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I keep telling myself that it's taking so long because they are taking their time making the best possible game, rather than pushing it out the door like they did with 2 (I say this simply because two came out so soon after 1). They are going to include all the best parts of saga and 3K and make Cavalry charges good again and make agents less fiddly and and and I'mma get a pony for Christmas!

I mean, unlike some other AAA games I guess it is in their best interest to do so since TWWHII has had such a long tail in sales (heck I only just picked it up this summer) and if they make a really good game, every new player they attract is potentially eventually $200+ in DLC with the first two games on top of retail.

Or it could be the opposite and they just assume we are already suckers and would by the third game regardless for new factions and stuff (true)

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

For those of us that have been waiting for a sale since the summer, looks like most of the DLC is half off on steam.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Dragonrah posted:

A couple months back I finally caved and bought both games and most of the dlc. So far I’ve only really spent a bit of time in the game looking over the different lords. I’ve watched some tutorials on YouTube, but man do these games intimate the hell out of me.

Not expecting a solution I just wanted to share. Feel free to shame me, though. Maybe that’ll help.

I was in this boat last summer and I find I'm still confused the first ten turns or so of a new race's campaign. Don't worry, it's a lot of info but it's doable.
Some races are simpler than others. My first campaign was High Elves (Tyrion) who has straightforward units, and my first two completed campaigns were Lizardmen (Kroq-Gar) who have really straightforward technology and few unique mechanics (and dinos to solve most problems in the mid-late game) and Dwarves (the White Dwarf), who have even more straightforward armies without magic, but are quite difficult currently due to starting vs the now-buffed orcs.

People are kind of snotty about reloading games but I recommend (for your first few campaigns) turning on autosave at every end of turn so you can go back a few turns and try a new strategy. After my first couple attempts at campaigns I had learned what kind of works in general and what doesn't, which would have taken a lot longer if I had to restart forty or fifty full turns in.
Also, even now I will still quicksave before autoresolving a battle in case the result is really anomalous compared to the expected summary screen.
People here have been real helpful responding to questions on the strategic level.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Kanos posted:

If you want to play Lizardmen, play Mazdamundi or Gor-rok; both are dead simple and have comfortable starts. For Dark Elves, Malekith is probably the only play for a new player. Morathi can be pretty hard due to her positioning and being a pretty weak lord until she gets levels under her belt. I'd stay away from Skaven until you're comfortable because they have a weird economy on the map and are extremely micro-intensive in battle until you start fielding cheese stacks.

This is pretty good advice but I would recommend Kroq-Gar on Vortex to start. Maz and Gor-Rok are more powerful and have a richer location, but Kroq is in the corner of the map on Vortex and I found Maz's magic confusing to start out. A tough melee Lord like Kroq (or Gor-Rok, who is a better choice if you want to use magic since he's tough by himself and has the best magic hero in the game) is pretty easy for a new player, since you can stick him on the front line to bolster your line with leadership and his damage, and send him against problematic heroes. As long as you jump on the Skaven to your south, Kroq has some obvious chokepoints on the map to get you to the midgame where you can fight less frustrating/more varied enemies like Dark Elves and Vampirates, and some fun allies like dwarfs, wood elves, and tomb kings nearby.

Plus you can invade ulthuan with an army of t-rexes like I did, which is hilarious and good.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I haven't played since pre-new expansion and man they really nerfed growth rates, didn't they? I decided to try a Noctilus campaign since I've never played vampirates on Vortex and while I had a ton of zombie cannon boats by turn 50 on him personally, I didn't rank 5 my whirlpool capitol (or any other settlement) until well after turn 100, when the game was basically wrapped up. It also makes trading settlements in a border war pointless, I basically just razed anything I reconquered a second time since it would take forever to get even minor settlements back to rank 3.

I want to try Tomb Kings next but that just sounds like a nightmare with the terrible growth rates.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

You can vassalise factions? :negative:

I don't think I've ever seen it. But then again I basically completely ignore diplomacy in the game

The only place I've ever done it was oddly in my Norse game, where I vassalized a few minor orc and iirc a beastman factions because I was flush from cash after sacking/razing most of the Empire and thought it would be fun to have a buffer against the Vampires. One orc turned on me, I beat him up and got him to agree to be my vassal again a bunch of turns later.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I'm excited about trying Rakarth but I also have never played a Skaven vortex game. I've done 15-20 turns of an Ikit ME game, and I probably want him to be ME (unless his Vortex campaign is unique somehow), so do I do Queek, Skrolk, or Tretch as my Vortex campaign? (I don't have the other two DLCs)

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Is there any reason to grab the old beastman dlc, outside of completionism (I have almost every other dlc)? I plan on getting the new one to try out the bull and do another lizardman campaign, does the old dlc unlock anything for the new guy?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

AnEdgelord posted:

Its a little hard to tell right now how the campaigns for the Beastmen lords are gonna shape up but at the current $9.50 sale price I'd probably say pick it up unless you're strapped for cash. Thats about the price of a combo meal at a fast food chain and you get three legendary lords out of the deal with three separate starting locations. Thats not quite as good a deal as you get for the Tomb Kings or Vampire Coast who get four lords but its pretty much equivalent to what you get out of the Wood Elves who now also have three lords with three locations in their dlc (Durthu, Orion, Drycha).

If you want a more mechanical overview I'd say to take a look at this Great Book of Grudges overview of the rework where he goes over what Khazrak, Malagor and Morghur will look like soon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPVzKElNIOw

Thanks for linking the video! Seems like the main advantage to owning the old Beastmen expansion is you can unlock the legendary lords for the other factions if you get enough of the fury points or whatever the Beastmen special currency is, but only if you have access to them. So the old expansion is worth it if you really want to use multiple legendary lords in a single beastmen campaign. Not sure if it is worth it but something to think about.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Most of the Lizardman mechanics are barely there but honestly the real Lizardmen mechanic is "lucking into a carnosaur blessed spawning in the early game and eating rats with a T-Rex in the first 10 turns"

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Figured I would start a wood elf sisters campaign last week since that won't change much with the dlc in a couple days. Unfortunately, the quest for them to get their dragon seems broken (can't figure out how to get the second step of the quest to fire, I complete the first task and it never gives me another), and searching online doesn't seem to tell me how to fix it. They're pretty ridiculous even without it but it's definitely a disappointment. Boo.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

My Taurox army was basically Taurox, the starting Wilds caster, 3 Gorebulls, 2 Wargors, 6 minotaurs, and 4 dogs that I replaced with Centigors. I also had three Ghorgons because...why not i guess? Definitely didnt need them. The centigors were entirely for chasing routing units because absolutely nothing could stand against even the 10 minotaur variants total so taking out routing units was good. Everything broke in seconds. You could do more minotaurs but it was frankly unnecessary and saved the minotaurs for other armies.

Besides, that gives room for 4 banners of ghorrok for most of the minotaurs, a banner of madness for Taurox, and the +movement scout.

I smashed across a Taurox campaign with Taurox, Starting Caster, 2 gorebulls, 6-8 minotaurs, and then whatever monstrous RoR I had available (Cygors, the new giant beastman, Jabberwock mom)+ eventually a couple Cygors. Though by turn 25 I had rolled over Malekith and his mom and was headed over to the donut and intercepted the Sword of Khaine, so from there on I just bought all the other LLs and eventually gave away Taurox's whole army and had a blast destroying multiple elf stacks with just him + the Sword + the regeneration item you can buy.

He is BONKERS, you can use almost anything after the midgame, as long as you have some minotaurs in his army until he gets fully powered up.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

jokes posted:

Imagine besieging an entire city completely by yourself. Incredible. In TWWH1 before the regeneration nerf, Lords could easily do this. It takes an hour but Sigvald could do it.

At the end of my Taurox campaign I did just that a bunch with him. He had the fully maxed sword of khaine, but I just thought it was funny to beat up on the high elves with a single invincible minotaur (and got some sort of hidden achievements for doing it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

Going back to what I'd like to see after TWW3... I'm going to have to play three grognard cards here

First the LOL GET OUT OF HERE YOU OLD FART option (computer game) version: Total War Sword of Aragon. It was my first strategy war/turn based strategy game and I loved making armies and outfitting them depending on my finances, and units having different attack modes (heavy cavalry's overrun was OP)

The second LOL GET OUT OF HERE YOU OLD FART option is just as old as Sword of Aragon... Dungeons and dragons Birthright setting. It has all the things Warhammer does, and even has a reason to encourage fighting (killing someone with blood powers allows you to siphon off their powers to empower yours, bloodtheft). Now I could actually see this one happening.. CAs ability to work with Games Workshop indicates they could deal well with Hasbro and WotC.

And finally, total war dragonlance. Again, a setting that both encourages fighting with great armies and individual heroes and villains to act as agents and/or lords/heroes.

Dragonlance has all sorts of rights issues these days, IIRC.

If we are going with old groggy poo poo, if it wasn't for the whole "basically all weird, slightly racist white people interpretations of Asian things", Legend of the Five Rings would be a great Total War. The Clans in that all had very distinct identities in that 90s "personality types/jobs in a group" and each had a ton of main characters that would lend themselves to the TW:WH format. There were lots of unique units from the tabletop game and card game that could be easily adapted, magic, a recognizable Chaos-like threat for the campaign, and cool monsters that could be incorporated into every army, and even armies down the line of mostly monsters and a lesser sister setting for expansion. The issue is L5R is that even with the various reboots, the setting still has a some problematic issues, and the fanbase was never that big. But with the huge amount of RPG stuff and the fiction focus of that game, there's an almost comparable amount of ~LORE~ to draw upon as Warhammer has, despite being around for 10-20 fewer years.

Or they could just do, like, a high fantasy Shogun 3, which would be rad.

Most of the D&D settings don't really have the zazz needed and I doubt GW would be happy with the total war guys going with their major competition in the tabletop space. If GW still have some of the LotR rights and could give CA/Sega an in, I would bet that is the most likely property for the next high fantasy Total War, especially if the Amazon series gets any cultural foothold.