Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I am here to support the endless murder of elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How to figure out if you're the best Warhammer race:

- Are you an elf? You're not the best and also kill yourself.

- Are you a frog person who leads dinosaurs that ride dinosaurs? Ok that's pretty good.

- Are you a loving insane, magic cocaine sniffing ratman that uses crazy contraptions and deliberate friendly fire to achieve your goals? Congrats, you're the best race.

All of this is, of course, only applicable until Chorfs are in the game, because they have the best hats.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

loving Carnosaur mounts are rad as hell. If you're playing Lizardmen and you don't have a cuddle puddle of giant dinos with which to smash rats and elves, you are literally Doing It Wrong (tm).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I ride bikes all day posted:

Are there plans for Ogre Kingdoms, Tomb Kings, and Chaos Daemons? Tomb Kings are the only things even remotely as cool as Lizardmen.

Ogres and Daemons are likely for Game 3. Tomb Kings are almost assuredly going to show up as DLC in this game, their homeland is already on the map.

This video and the gif of Tyrion getting run over are the only things that need to be in the Lizardmen section of the OP.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

BillBear posted:

In what world do you replace a giant, flaming badass bird of prey with basic archers.

The same world where you gaze longingly at the game where armies were all just recolored spearmen, because you fear variety and change.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, ninjahund is streaming the final battle for Skrolk, and the skybox has the loving great horned rat (or maybe a Verminlord?) peeking through the clouds above the Isle of the Dead, near the base of the Vortex. Amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

littleorv posted:

when does this game unlock

8:30am BST on Thursday, which is, according to Google, 3:30am EST.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Playing an elf in this game is almost passable, because you're still gonna be killing elves. But why would you do that when you could play as dinosaurs or wacky rat people and murder twice as many elves?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

How to play Warhammer 2:

- Dinosaurs.
- See elf, murder elf.
- Kill as many rats as you do non-rats because friendly fire concerns are for elf-things.
- Make low effort posts about murdering elves.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Whorelord posted:

what is the difference between tactical and strategic? I never know.

Tactics are "how will I win this battle?". Strategy is "how will we win this war?". In-game, pretty much everything you do in the battles is a tactic. The things you do on the campaign map tend to be strategic.

Tactics are short-term, immediate things. Take this hill, execute a flanking maneuver, etc. Strategy is longer term stuff, like picking which city to attack and with what forces.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Tactics - How do I destroy these elves right in front of me?
Strategy - How do I destroy all elves in the world?

This is the best description.

The official TW twitch channel is now streaming a launch party for the game, and currently they're giving interviews to a woman who is likely bored out of her skull. At least she's trying to be nice about it, rather than yawning in their faces, but yeah talking about the game has to be painful when you can't just talk about how to best murder all elves.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gentlegoons, I bid thee a good elf slaughter. (It's decrypting!)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Hmmm, there may be some sort of performance issue with the RX480? Mine is REALLY chugging on the campaign map. Battles aren't bad, but the campaign map is like maybe 25fps, where WH1's is 60+ at all times. Nothing seems to change it, either.

I'm going to try a clean install of my drivers and see if that fixes it. I updated to the latest ones (they released yesterday), and the campaign map is pretty slow.

Aside from that, game owns. I suck at Rituals already.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Campaign map running like poo poo for no reason aside... game owns.

I just killed a double stack Skaven intervention force by murdering them on the walls of Lothern. The flame Phoenix single-handedly routed like 5 units of clanrats with one bombing run.

CA made elves fun. This is weird.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I also noticed it being choppy, going into settings and enabling the game to use all video ram helped a bit.

Yeah, tried that and unfortunately no luck. The weird thing is that it's still choppy as gently caress even on the lowest settings, with both DX11 and DX12. I'm chalking it up to an AMD driver issue for now (despite using the driver that came out hours before release, which specifically mentions support for this game). That's the only thing I can think of. No in-game settings makes the campaign stop chugging.

Battles, meanwhile, are awesome. :allears:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, the last ritual is 20 turns long and halfway through you get a cutscene and it's so good.

The Skaven built a loving warpstone-powered rocket ship manned by a loving terrified rat man and launched it into orbit to look like the comet, tricking everyone into doing these rituals. THEY loving SCIENCED THE gently caress OUT OF THE REST OF THE WORLD. I loving love Skaven.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Finished a high elves campaign because woo day off is fun.

High elves are INCREDIBLY shooty. Insanely shooty. Watching the first few units of an enemy advance through a hail of arrows from my front line of Lothern Sea Guard w/ Shields and the archers behind them, plus the bolt thrower... yeah. That's awesome. (Then they get fire pooped on them and roasted by a dragon. Also awesome.)

Fiery Convocation is amazing with the wind spell targeting changes. Targeted well it's basically an instant rout button, ESPECIALLY against Skaven, who love to blob up. Didn't get much use out of Tempest (vortex spell that only targets flyers), because having this many archers mostly made flying units a non-issue.

All in all, High Elves were surprisingly fun. Influence is an interesting mechanic, but once I had confederated Ulthuan it seems like I just sorta stopped gaining it except occasionally. By then I had recruited and equipped my armies, but still, I would have liked to mess with it more.

Vortex rituals mechanic is pretty neat. I ended up neck and neck with Malekith through all of it, forcing me to finally rush Naggarond and kneecap his ritual to slow him down, since Interventions are near useless (unless you get lucky and they hit an already weak garrison). That was actually my favorite bit of the campaign. I didn't know if I was going to get there in time.

Game kinda owns. Can't wait for the big map.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://gfycat.com/AgitatedEducatedAfricanrockpython

The sync kill animations are amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Literally all you need to know about High Elf armies, right there. Shamelessly stolen from some dude on reddit.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So the buttons that allow a mage that has spells from multiple schools to swap between those schools is conveniently located directly underneath any in-battle special abilities. So you can't click between the two schools.

I had a High Magic mage in Tyrion's army during a siege after I did the Vaul rite thing, and yeah... I couldn't swap her over to Heavens or whatever in order to cast her lightning vortex because that ability was in the way.

Minor gripe, but a weird oversight on their part. They're literally occupying the same screen space.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

also re delfs

I love how momrathi requires chaos taint and malakeith does not

Apparently if you confederate to get her while playing as Malekith, she and her army take damage from her own Chaos corruption. There is no way around this.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, the last stage of Malekith's ritual had the AI plop down SIX FULL STACKS OF SKAVEN right outside of Naggarond. The dreadlord I had sitting there with her stack ended up getting swarmed by three of them, and the other three hosed my economy up by eventually razing Hag Graef before I could get another army to reinforce (the other places were Ghrond and Kar Khrond or whatever it is, to the east, so they were there, and my other armies were bogged down in the south).

The siege at Naggarond was loving amazing. I had a fully upgraded Black Ark nearby to provide fire support, and a doomstack inside the city alongside the garrison, against almost 8000 Skaven. Long story short, they died a lot. It was amazing. :allears:

Oh, and Bladewind versus a clump of Skaven is just as satisfying as I knew it would be. Malekith got 602 kills during an ambush. It absolutely shreds poo poo.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 30, 2017

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh my god, I was sort of struggling with Mazdamundi (I'm actually behind in the race, Malekith has gone full-crazy and is way ahead), and wasn't feeling it until Skrolk decided to sail up the east coast and try to take out the ritual resource site just north of Hexoatl. The garrison included an Old-Blood and a Skink Priest, two temple guards, a stegadon, a solar engine, several saurus/skinks, cold one riders, and, crucially, three units of Kroxigors. About 700-900 lizardmen, roughly? Skrolk had two stacks with just over 4000 Skaven. Balance of Power was heavily in his favor.

Of course, Saurus are loving BEASTS and held off assaults on the walls and gates while I spammed Flock of Doom on giant clumps of rats and used the cavalry/towers to deal with their artillery and skirmishers. Skrolk ate poo poo thanks to the Kroxigors and the Old Blood. The Stegadon had an epic charge through the broken gates, directly through piles of rats, and killed over 400 by itself.

I wasn't really "getting it" until that moment. Lizardmen own.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Supposedly they're taking all the old lords and bringing them up to speed for WH2, so they'll be getting the level 40 treatment. The trees they added at the end of game 1 aren't bad at all, so I assume they'll be changing what needs to be changed to put them on par with game 2.

I'm really excited to see more info on the combined map. I know they're going to give this game time to breathe after release, but I want that combined map info ASAP. I want to see Winds of Death against a pile of Skaven.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

Has anyone seen a rogue army take cities yet? Most of the ones I've seen have just sat there.

I saw the Beastmasters take over to the East of Naggarond in my dark elf game, they were pushing Har Ganeth so hard that they confederated really quickly. I then saw why: three full stacks with AT LEAST six hydras each, backed up by swarms of squigs. Crazy.

I also saw the Hunters of Kurnous take over the northeastern bits of Ulthuan in my high elf game. They ended up being a huge thorn in my side, because despite being shooty as all hell the High Elves aren't as shooty as stacks packed with Waywatchers and Glade Riders. And I mean packed. You haven't seen hell until you've seen a stack of 6 glade riders backed up by the rest of the loving stack as Waywatchers. God drat did that hurt.

Rogue armies are awesome.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

My god, the Lizardmen are amazing. Mazdamundi on Zlaaq has like 400 AP damage, but the Scar-Veteran on a Carnosaur had near 700 in the final battle. He just absolutely poo poo on a unit of Phoenix Guard single-handedly. They broke before they did even 10% of his health. Feral Carnosaurs are good, but holy poo poo Scar-Veterans.

Temple Guard are loving AMAZING provided you don't let them get pelted to death by missiles (especially Darkshards) or engaged by AP anti-infantry troops. Watching Hellpit Aboms slam into a line of TG only to get their poo poo wrecked is wonderful.

Mazdamundi is a crazy caster, too. Between both of his bound spells and his incredible winds of magic pool (he had over 200 in reserve during the final battle, which may be a result of the poo poo going on there but still), you can just cast for days, and his spell selection is incredible. Net everything, poo poo on it with Cassandora, drop down vortexes at will, etc. He's amazing.

Lizardmen are great fun.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I can't imagine that CA is foolish enough to NOT update the Lord skills from the first game to be on par with the new hotness. They went back and updated them in game 1, why wouldn't they bring them up to game 2's standards when they have the chance?

They've been pretty drat good about it so far. I would be honestly shocked if they suddenly got a case of the dumbs, but I guess anything is possible.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Skaven.jpg

Or maybe this:

Both of which are from this album.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/building.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_grn_arachnos&b=wh2_main_special_dorks_rock

People are datamining the landmarks CA is putting in for the combined map, and this one has a perfect name.

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warh...sillon_merovech

Also Mousillon is getting a landmark that beefs up the garrison, provides walls, etc.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The workshop is up and running now, for all your mod needs.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Is there a mod that switches armor around?
I would like the lizardmen to wear heavy elven armor.

...and the elves to wear just bodypaint.

Someone has a burn victim fetish. :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So is Skaven territorial expansion basically just you running out of food unless you're selective about where you settle?

I took over the whole of the Southlands as Queek, and despite owning an entire content I had like -20 food per turn because I could no longer raid easily and there weren't really armies to fight except the ritual spawns.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn726f9QEP4

I have no idea what this is. Shadilay?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

queeb posted:

Dwarves definitely had more than just a grudge thrower at launch though no? There's no other artillery piece than that available. also no iron drakes or anything like that. no ironbreakers or gyrocopters as well.

If I'm not mistaken it was just grudge throwers at launch at first for early game dwarves. The ballista was added with the Angrund/Skarsnik dlc alongside Rangers.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Magni posted:

Short version: Memes.

Slightly longer version: There was an italian disco band named P.E.P.E. in the 80's, and their single Shadilay had a green frog holding a magic wand as the album artwork. As you can guess, 4chan went loving nuts over it when they found out.

Ah... that makes more sense. Not much more, but more.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I really like what they've done with magic in this game. Playing as Teclis doesn't feel like a penalty. You're still squishy in melee, even with both of his quest items, but holy poo poo does he have the best spells in the game and a gigantic winds pool to draw from. A well placed Chain Lightning can rout an entire army, and he can poo poo out enough buffs to make your sea guard core tankier than it has business being.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So Morathi's start is kind of dumb. You can't get any trade agreements because the game doesn't understand how fords work and thus doesn't think anyone has a direct trade route to your capital. So trading is just not a thing that occurs initially, if at all.

On top of that, her options for initial expansion are limited, unless you want to go sailing to Tiranoc on turn 10. Of course, if you do that then you'll be exposed to the inevitable, inexorable, endless Hexoatl Lizardmen hell parade that marches north solely and specifically to gently caress you up.

Meanwhile Quintex is 8 slots, not 10, so you have to be especially picky about what you build and where. (Except it's really 7 because you absolutely want and need the unique building so your territory isn't constantly making GBS threads rebellions.) Oh and the province has multiple trade goods buildings... which are useless to you because you can't loving trade with anyone at all.

It's just a miserable start. I know now why that guy in the pre-release dark elves coop had so many issues with Morathi: it's a confluence of terrible all rolled into one start.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I feel like this is appropriate.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jesus christ, playing Malekith on Hard and not only has Lothern taken a huge lead over everyone on the rituals (they just finished the fourth and are almost at the final one while everyone else is nearing #3 or just started it), they've also unified Ulthuan and are now sending endless archer-spam stacks at me.

When I say archer-spam, I loving mean it: 1 general, 1 bolt thrower, 18 archers (one or two might be sea guard, it varies). That is the only army composition I'm seeing. Cavalry can't get near because they melt. Monsters can't get near because they melt. Infantry can't get near because they melt. All the lords are on Star Dragons. They occasionally bring a mage, but mostly it's archers. Auto-resolve is basically like "holy poo poo gently caress you you're gonna die" so it's endless hand-holding on my part trying to mince ever increasing amounts of archers with varying amounts of success.

The worst part is that it's basically an endless tide of loving knife-ears to murder. I finally kill one archer-spam stack, only to get confronted with TWO MORE THAT ARE SAILING OVER. I can't even reinforce my armies in time, and gently caress trying to intercept on the sea because black arks are useless at combat and autoresolve LOVES archer spam, apparently. Consequently, I can't get anywhere near Ulthuan to stop this poo poo, and I can't make peace with Lothern because they've finished their fourth ritual so now it's permawar against nothing but archers.

I know now what it must have felt like to fight the Mongols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Also helfs are arrogant dicks and lizardmen are literally willing to reshape continents because some ancient map showed them looking different so when push comes to shove it's no surprise they're at odds

The Lizardmen ending also implies that they go on a genocidal rampage once they get control of the vortex. Since their interpretation of the Great Plan is so strict that they basically consider even the good races to be aberrations, they're basically gonna murder everyone.