Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Gejnor posted:

Day 3 of the Christmas Event that CA is doing seems to be a hint of some kind, possibly for their latest main game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pEfZDWBgk

I'm betting Total War: Starship Troopers, where you play as one of several different mobile infantry armies fighting to clear the bugs, mormon colonists, and other aliens off peacefully annexed uninhabited(outside of natives) worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

fargom posted:

I can't imagine playing without aggressive agents. I LOVE doing hostile actions all game long with my heroes, getting them ahead of the curve in levels early is IMO the key to snowballing hard in a campaign, especially in SFO. Losing a hero on turn 3 to a super low chance assassination does indeed suck, but being able to do the same to the AI all game long seems like something that would be too hard to give up.

Does that mod prevent you from using the other aggressive actions or is it just assassinate? IE block army, attack units/garrison? I wouldn't give up block army for all the teeth in the world.

The mod just stops the AI from using aggressive actions, you can still do the actions to your hearts' content. That said, only time I've ever had the agent actions get really annoying is when the trait "Unlucky" pops up on a lord and then cascades to the -3 tier and leads to one of your lords getting perpetually sabotaged/slowed. For some reason the Dark Elves seem to be the worst in this regard.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

No it just reset the mod activation.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Kislev should be able to target their own retreating units to make them rally.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Silmarillion based TW would get bonkers fast with spiders the size of Manitoba wandering around the battlefield while deities that can collapse themselves to waveforms throw fire onto the whole map

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

H2Eau posted:

Archaon stomping around Ulthuan with the sword is pretty fun

Kholek is hilarious with SoK, you just start Sauron'ing armies

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Imo grenade horsey boys are a good unit chaser they can hang out and chunk their bombs and then throw them at fleeing units and the morale loss really makes them skull and flag scared not just flag scared

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd like it if end times saw more unification between powers. Once the whole apocalypse starts have it where the empire and dwaves and HE start confederating with each other and sharing rosters, so as Empire for example the HE or Dwarves give you backup units like how Markus gets reinforcement units from the continent. It gives you an impetus to keep those folks alive, spreads out your commitments during the end times, and also lets you add more variety to the point in the game where you start having about every army configuration you can get.

And vice versa let the ruinous powers start having more variety at that time too, so the mixed armies not only keep you on your toes but make it less predictable which armies you'll be facing from a faction.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

JBP posted:

I don't think there's enough unit variety yet since they're still fleshing out the tabletop game, but yeah I'd love to see some Kharadron Overlords fight off a bloodthirster with a harpoon gun.

I'd really love it if CA got the go ahead to have a crack at an epic style 40k game. Maybe not quite epic, but up to Warhound titan levels. With enough time and money I'm sure they could do it.

You could just take Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and give it the Total War treatment and I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I've yet to have an Imrik campaign actually go well. My latest campaign was going well, I had gotten rid of Enshin and Malus and was conquering south when the two major superpowers to the west of me, Clan Mors and Karaz-a-Karak, declared war on me in the same turn and launched twin invasions. The Dwarves are kind of easy to hold off but with Clan Mors and their drat stalking stance I can't actually move armies around to intercept anyone without getting ambushed left and right by rat doomstacks. Despite having territory, the lack of HE trade income has crippled my ability to replenish my losses or maintain higher tier armies that could fight the doomstacks 1:1.

Seems like a better strategy would be to progress Wipe out Clan Helheim --> Beeline to kill Enshin --> Secure Dragon Isles --> March West to the Sea to secure moutain incomes and trade income with the rest of world through a port.

This is the second Imrik campaign I've lost now - the first one the Orcs ate the world by turn 50, now this time an unlikely alliance between Dwarf and Rat led to my entire western border being inundated.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 29, 2020

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yay no rats

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I could see Halflings being half a faction at best, like the Hobarts in Dominions

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Grimgor is the most self-actualized of all the LL's

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You mean Grailgor? Personally I'm waiting for the Graildiver catapult that fires Grail Knights, horse and all, lance-first at the enemy. This gives them a +30% charge bonus.

Grailing Gunners are peasants with large grails that shoot a large quantity of snotling sized grail knights that swarm enemies but can run amok

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would really like a faction that wasn't out of the Warhammer setting, just for a more vanilla option, like maybe the chaos gate spits out the Julii from Rome TW or the French from Napoleon: TW

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Wouldn't an army unit mounted on bears be called Ursalry instead of Bear Cavalry?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Most forgettable Lord by far is the TK chariot king, Settra. He just needs to take a seat on the bench for any future games. I don't play tk often but he's the one I always forget somehow.

Also the DE LL's are pretty forgettable besides of Morathi and her son

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe they could do a crossover with the Dominions series.

I would really like a TW game that followed the Dominions style arc of starting off with armies of grunts, but by the end its just a few godlike mages throwing spells at one another and any grunts just immediately get plastered. Starting off the armies and units are much more number dependent but as your heroes and LL's level up they become the main power in the battles

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sasgrillo posted:

Literally Medieval 2 solved this problem *checks notes* 15 years ago with population. Only large, populous cities could support powerful armies but replenishing them was a pain in the rear end, so you were naturally incentivized to have mixed armies of low and high tier units.

Medieval 2 also had the armor + weapon improvement mechanic where low tier units made in a large city could compete relatively well with higher tier units if you were willing to invest in the infrastructure.

I really just want the Med 2 visual upgrades of troops to return. I miss my city spear militia starting out as a group of guys in peasant garb with lovely spears and by the time the city is doing really well you have a fully plated, halberd wielding militia that can hold gates pretty well as long as the leaders stay alive.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Night10194 posted:

There's one Greenskin that died of old age, the greatest of the Hobgoblin Khans. He's celebrated for dying in bed after living so long because until that happened to him, they didn't even know that was possible.

Was the bed temporarily proclaimed Khan until someone smashed it? Seems like the rules of non-violent succession would be unclear and so it would have to assumed the bed killed him?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

We've had this discussion before in the thread, but I would unironically love if CA added Pontus to WH3. No magical touch-ups or anything either, just lift the Rome 2 roster and dump them as a minor faction in the middle of the Dark Lands.

A "All kinds of poo poo are coming through chaos gates" would be hilarious although an impractical amount of work. I'd love to play Napoleon accidentally transported from marching on Russia to marching on the Chaos wastes of Kislev

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The ogres should just talk in Simlish and thatw ould solve the whole accent problem

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ironbreakers not using punch guns and spiked knuckles is a missed opportunity.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Towers being hard points on the wall where you could dock siege weapons would be my ideal implementation of them. Give cannons an actual use in siege defense.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also there is a direct correlation between Malekith (George Washington) who had he stayed in the UK he probably would have been king but instead went and was like "No I'm king in America" and also his wife was considered at the time to be a sorceress, particularly after she allegedly summoned a giant thunderstorm and burned the White House to the ground rather than let it be taken by the British during the war.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Is there any chance we will be able to buff our Nurglings with various hats? I would like a Nurgling LL that has a hat mechanic where you need to raze each faction capital and steal their hats, unlocking RR's of Nurglins' in said hats each time you do.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dwarves in general have bad hats.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Models 200 hours
Battle AI 150 hours
Campaign mechanics 800 hours
Nurgling animations 3600 hours
Sound design 150 hours

someone who is good at game design please help me budget my time my team is dying

A Game by 38 Studios as imagined by Curt Schilling

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Total War: Red Alert 2

Complete with filmed segments and more 90's cheese than you can shake a stick at.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Why not use NATO Symbols for units CA?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also explains why they keep leaving the door open for "There are thousands of dragon children of the emperor", a detail which kept getting inserted - a good way to later introduce a design your own Dragon LL.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

ZeusJupitar posted:

They specifically said there are five, with four others being 'lost to time', although that gives the same opportunity.

Oof my mistake here, you're right there are only 5 that rule lands and also 4 that are "lost to time" so a total of nine with five being on the map and in the lore.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Beards should be an item of varying quality and effects for Dwarves at the very least. "A Magnificent Beard" - Legendary Beard - Ward Save + Magic resistance

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Sasgrillo posted:

To be fair that one is more understandable. For me it just lacks contrast, but overall I like the cleaner appearance over the weathered paper of the previous two games.

I gotta say the CA should be ashamed of the rivets in the new UI, there's nothing in the Warhammer universe that would suggest rivets or screws are frequently used and this just destroys player immersion. What's next, a little tech priest that tells you about chaos spells in the FANTASY setting??

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I like that it gives you a better reason to leave uninhabitable terrain to a different faction you ally with. It's better to just leave the Dwarves in the mountains and ally with them than it is to slog through it all.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Total war: Dominions 7.

Just whole stacks getting dunked on by an immobile statue summoning eldritch horrors

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'm really going to miss those dumbass connect the line dials that you'd need be some kind of genius or ghost or something to be able to visualize

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If you had a 2 headed legendary lord would that give you 2 hat item slots?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A steam tank is an interpretation of the phalanx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Nurgling bull-riding in the Exalted Great Unclean One's mace-chalice is hilarious