Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

Phoenixes are, probably, better but eagles come online a lot quicker.

Phoenix napalm-bombing formations is my favorite thing in this game so far, there should be more non-lord/hero active skills like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Autoresolve really hates Skaven huh? I'm consistently getting comfortable victories against 20-80, even 10-90 autoresolve odds. Which is fine because I really like battles as Skaven, especially grinding encircled enemy blobs to dust with warp cannons (getting 400+ kills each)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I'm playing the regular campaign as High Elves and I'm not sure exactly what to do around the 4th ritual. Everything up to that felt very easy because so much of what I was facing were unarmored units- so big cheap stacks of sea guards and archers would just melt most opposing forces before they could close to melee. But now on the 4th ritual 4 chaos armies spawn randomly around the island, and another ~4 armies appear from competitors. All massive and feeling way more armored and intimidating than before.

What's the preferred composition for a later turn High Elf army? Is it a more standard mix like I'd do in Empire games in the first game? 7 armored melee, 5 ranged, 4 cav, 2 artillery, 1 hero?

Also how many armies should I have fielded in total towards the end game? I have 5 and I suspect that's too few- but with a wave like that it feels like I'll need 10-12? Given how the chaos/skaven armies all spawn together...

4-5 high-tier armies is about the maximum you can realistically maintain in the endgame, due to the +15% upkeep penalty for every Lord (which the AI doesn't have so they can have 10+). And yes the last ritual invasions are bullshit. In my HE/VH playthrough I was also being rushed by three stronger factions (I was #5) during the last ritual, so the Chaos/Skaven armies razed about half of all my settlements before I took them down (with max-tier garrison in every settlement). I'm fine with it being difficult though, as the final mission to complete the campaign is a joke.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I sort of assumed you only recruit White Lions with Alastar due to the -upkeep trait, and Sword Masters for everyone else.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Man, Greenskins are just boring.

I played a Skarsnik campaign way back when, and that was good fun. Nonstop rough battles, but doable battles. Turning my gobbos into basically little minotaurs that just charge through everything. It was super hilarious and very "orky".

The actual Greenskin campaign though kinda sucks. Basic boyz and even the bigger stuff like my Black Orcs don't seem like they can handle much of anything. They can sure, but they are real beat up after it in ways I wouldn't expect orcs to be. Somehow I have a full 20/20 stack from Karak Azul heading to Varaya's Sorrow by turn 8, and after pushing it back just barely I see two more 20/20 stacks of Karak Azul armies right behind them. I've also got a bunch of Dwarf stacks starting to come down from the north.

I finally figure out I can just confederate the Red Fangs after beating them up initially, and great. Cool. Now I own most of the Badlands but can't do poo poo with it anyways, because none of my units feel good in a fight against Dwarfs. Also fighting in and around the Badlands doesn't really feel that great.

Grimgor is awesome. He hits like a truck and is a hilarious monster. It's just everything supporting him is......not great.

Greenskins are pretty much balanced with the expectation that you have a Waaagh stack with you for every battle. Don't even bother fighting the beard-things without one.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Please review the beards (Grombrindal obviously 10/10)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

Just finished my first ME short Campaign at 96 turns. How long do most campaigns last? Has anyone actually ground out a long campaign victory?

I'm 300 turns into my Last Defenders ME, most of it fighting the beard-tide (Dwarfs had something like 110 settlements at the start of the war)

It's also taking extra long in real-time, autoresolve loves the beardos so I have to fight most battles manually.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

My Last Defenders ME was stretching out to ridiculous length, so I figured I might as well go for last faction standing...

Yeah, not doing that again.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Man I love how TK take absolutely horrific losses and not care at all. Just fought a Queek doomstack + max-tier garrison and won with 4000 units lost, Pyrrhos would be proud.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In-game TK skellingtons are trash even compared to VC ones and an end-game TK army forgoes the bone legions entirely for 19 constructs. It is fun as hell to play but TK abandoning skeletons for monster mash is weird and dumb af.

That's just min-maxing one all-construct doomstack, you're not going to have multiple stacks with no skeletons.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Caidin posted:

Okay, so I've only had TWW 2 for about a week now and still working out the new races. I'm playing Settra, it's turn 18 mortal empires and a random stack of treemen and dinosaurs are stomping around raiding my territory. I can't do any diplomacy with them and I don't think even four stacks of spooky lovely skeletons are gonna do the job, much less one.

What does the clever dried corpse do here?

The sandstorm rite causes them to suffer attrition, and they don't replenish. Just popping it once gets the stack to half health over its duration.

e: assuming you're talking about the armies you have to kill for the books, and not just random marauders

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 6, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does it hit them even if they’re in raid stance??

And i’m 99% sure the “gently caress you we are elf dinos” stack only spawns as a bookholder, it isn’t there if the player isn’t skellington

E: a playable wood elf who got dinosaurs a la Arkhan would be the best LL by far

The book armies don't raid, at least in my ME playthrough.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

With my sample size of 2 ME's, I think the chances of VCs growing out of control are now higher than Dwarfs or Greenskins.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Did they change the southern Chaos stack spawns? In my earlier ME as Last Defenders they spawned in the middle of the desert, i.e. my province, completely loving me over with no armies at home. In my last TK playthrough they spawned in the sea between the continents, which was much more manageable.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Empire games that don't end up literal recreations of the fall of Rome are just wrong.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Why is Skaven autoresolve still such hot garbage, didn't they buff it?

Level 28 Tretch (with almost all red skills), level 19 wizard and full stack of rank 4-8 units versus level 3 TK garrison. Really, game?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

God damnit I hate the Tretch campaign. The victory conditions are so ridiculous considering you can't afford to hold more than a few provinces and field more than 3-4 armies. After 300 turns I'm finally close, except the Skaven corruption objectives which are impossible unless I go to war with the #1 faction. Even 4 plague priests with maxed corruption can't push the corruption of a single province above 50%, i.e. offset the buildings. It's stupid.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

My completionist OCD doesn't allow not finishing campaigns.

Only short campaigns though, the long objectives are just silly.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

poo poo this is just two weeks after Red Dead.

WALKING SHIP WITH CANNON ARM

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

"But what about the skavenslaves at the bottom of the raft?" "They're the greatest heroes of all....wait something's scratching my leg! Oh, wait, it stopped"

They eventually learned to rope them together, when their rafts would slowly disintegrate due to all the corpses floating away.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Qubee posted:

I'm also really regretting picking Lizardmen. They're awesome and tanky, but their fighting style doesn't fit me at all. I much prefer faster units, so I can outmaneuver my opponents. I'm also a fan of cheap cavalry to get behind and hammer / anvil the poo poo out of them. Lizardmen haven't (so far) been good for that. They're more just meatgrinders.

Is it also meant to be easy as gently caress going against Rats? I consistently throw my 20 stack against their 20 stacks, and at the end of the battle, I lose 200-300 men. Sieges are a lot more deadly and I lose around 600-800. But in plain old battles, Rats barely scratch me.

Saurus units absolutely murder all their stuff except Stormvermin in melee. Like 200-300 kills per unit scale of murder.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Not for TWW2, as every faction has to be released for the Vortex map, which includes exactly zero anythings in relation to Kislev.

An official Kislev release will probably only come for TWW3, either as a headliner or as a DLC down the line.

Norsca isn't in Vortex either though.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I could see Kemmler moving to Mousillon in the update, at least.

No way, The Red Duke deserves his own playable minor faction after being stuck in that terrible starting position for so long.

(yes I know there's a mod for that)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Panfilo posted:

You may have it mixed up, Beastmen and Savage Orcs do spawn in other areas. They tend to be specific parts of the world map, but they are fairly widely distributed. Its easy to tell- at the beginning of a turn you'll get a notification that they spawned, but when you click on the location it is often far from where you currently are.

The main problem is that they seldom do anything useful. Since the AI relies on autoresolve chances to decide whether to attack or not, they'll just fart around, they often don't seem to grow in size, and only very occasionally pick off an army or raze a weakened settlement. While it is nice to munch of the recently spawned army for easy exp, it would be nicer if they were enough of a threat to the AI to actually help you indirectly by trashing your enemy's heartlands to take pressure of them invading you.

Have the spawns scale based on the wealth of the region, and be more likely to spawn in regions that changed hands recently (more likely to have weakened armies and settlements). Make it easier for them to get waaghs/brayherds since I've pretty much NEVER seen the random spawns get strong enough to get them as well. And hell, have Skaven armies spawn in a similar way.

I think Beastmen are threat enough that I always clear them up when they're deep in my territory. Several times I've had them declare war at the worst possible time when all my armies are occupied and 5+ turns away. Same for the marauder armies really.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

You should be able to straight up buy one of the roaming marauder armies, for like 10k. Getting a high-veterancy stack of random units from all factions would be fun to play around with, even if completely ineffective.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

You should be able to sacrifice skavenslaves for food, and then just never stop recruiting them on your permanent farm stack.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

side_burned posted:

Anybody else think a souldborne style game where you play a dwarf slayer would be cool?

I'd play the poo poo out of Soulshammer. A game called Lords of the Fallen was a bit in that direction, the art style and enemy design was pretty Warhammerish at times.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

oh what i actually came here to ask is does anyone play Mortal Empires? I basically only play Vortex and just tried a game of ME and holy hell that is unplayable with those turn times.

I started as the slayer king, had a fun fight on turn 1 then had to spend 5 turns walking to the nearest settlement to capture and quit on turn 3. I got kinda used to the rhythm of vortex's turn times and ME's are unbeleivable in comparison, i knew I was in trouble when I forgot the game was even open and alt-tabbed back to Middenburg's turn.
Fwiw its on an SSD and everything

After completing Vortex once with all the races I haven't touched it since, ME is just a lot more replayable and varied. Especially the ritual invasion poo poo interrupts regular gameplay way too much. Garrisons do gently caress all against 5-7 stacks of poo poo so you have to interrupt your wars with other factions to bring your stacks back home all the time. No thanks.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cardiac posted:

I am doing a Bret campaign at the moment and it is pretty fun. Doing a southward crusade to root out the tomb kings while also starting to exterminate the rest of the we (fools never got the message when Orion was put down).
Once the Bret economy get rolling you have tons of money and best of all is no penalty for multiple armies.

My Bret ME's tend to end up complete dumpster fires with me having to fight DE, Greenskins, Vamps, Norsca and Chaos all by myself because all the "good guys" got their poo poo kicked in. Like Karl was just sad and lost to Boris, who then got wiped out by something. I never even saw the dawi, everything southeast of the forest was all Grimgor. The victory condition quest battles can't be teleported to and pretty much require your absolute best stack, which I can't send on a 10+ turn journey because everything is on fire. God loving damnit.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The Crotch posted:

All this has me thinking: what are the Iconically Western European animals? What would the Empire/Bretonnia equivalents of a Kislevite on a bear or a Mongolian-themed goblin on a wolf or a hypothetical African faction with zebras even be?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Rookersh posted:

TW2 ME has never really had any element of randomness. You know exactly which way the map will go every single time.

Based on about 10 completed ME's, that's not my experience at all. Especially Dwarfs/Greenskins has been a complete coin toss which one comes out on top.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Dramicus posted:

I wish there were more "neutral" factions like the Tomb Kings. With all the other factions, you are more or less on one side and the other group of races pretty much hates you. But with the Tomb Kings, neither side really wants to piss you off because you could go either way. I was surprised to find that no faction has diplomatic maluses against them.

I just completed Exiles of Nehek ME, and sure as poo poo didn't feel neutral. They start with -50 (or -40, can't remember) diplomacy with Dark Elves, and High Elves also hated me for... reasons? Lizards love High Elves, so they eventually also hated me.

There was one pleasant surprise though, when I finally got to the old world Bretonnia and Empire provinces were all Mousillon as far as the eye could see. That's always a wonderful thing.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Triple-Kan posted:

How did you play it with so much of the initial territory being uncomfortable for Tomb Kings? Did you just power through it? I've started an ME campaign but I balked when I saw how much of the territory around me was yellow.

It's best to just ignore the climate effects, since there's only one province there that's fully green to you (the one you start in). Just capture everything that's not red and use the public order commandment and buildings. The campaign wasn't too hard after getting rid of Malekith, who is a cheating son of a bitch (seriously how did he have a full stack of Black Guard at turn 40 or something, when I still had mostly tier1-2 TK garbage chaff).

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

Preeeeetty sure we're going to be getting the bringer of Tods in the upcoming Empire reworks.

I'll be spending a lot of time zoomed way the gently caress in.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I sure suck at all the treasure hunting puzzles.

I can't even figure out what I'm trying to solve let alone actually solve them.

Think like a lizard.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Harkon Vortex campaign was fun but also the easiest thing I've done in WH1/WH2 so far (on VH). Due to pirate coves being so bonkers overpowered there's really no need to expand past your starting province, so I spent most of the time raiding neighbors while teching up and killing other pirates, never being in any real danger. Lothern, Naggarond, one TK faction and all the lizards declared war on me but never made any effort to come anywhere near my settlements. Time to try ME and another LL, maybe it's a little better.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Sorry to say this but anyone who finishes the final quest battle with below 4-digit kills on Queen Bess is the worst pirate I've ever heard of.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I planned to do Sartosa ME as a 1 settlement/1 stack challenge, until about 50 turns in I finally looked at the victory conditions... gently caress. Holding 8 capital settlements is ridiculous considering you get almost none via alliances (everyone hates pirates, especially after I start stealing money from all of them).

gently caress it, I'll still do it and just declare myself the winner at some arbitrary point.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2018

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah but that's kind of my problem with them. "Elite infantry that is great at killing lovely chaff but gets owned by ranged fire and isn't very good against other elite infantry" is not a strong sell.

I'm somewhat more impressed with the polearm depth guards, they're still flimsy but their massive +30 vs large makes them very killy against big units. Unless it's a mammoth charging directly into them lol.

I think anti-large is pretty redundant as pirates anyways, when your Deck Gunners can straight up delete any approaching monsters long before they reach melee range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

It's a shame that without player intervention the Brettonians get consistently dumpstered by the Kemmler-Red Duke axis of evil.

It's doubly shame because Louen is the only one who bothers to go gently caress up Norsca. Though he seems to do than even when Bretonnia is a burning undead mess.