Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So after having the game since launch I finally finished a Vortex Campaign for the first time, as Malekith. I like the Vortex map a lot but after having finally beaten it, I wish I could play on that map without the Vortex mechanics.

I have all of the DLC now but not sure what my next campaign will be.

I've also been playing co-op campaigns with a buddy that I've always played total war games with but his favorite factions seem to have more difficult starts haha, so we haven't really gotten past turn 70 or so. It doesn't help that we rarely play factions that complement each other very well so our factions racial buddies end up hating us for being allied.

So far he's liked playing as Balthasar Gelts Golden Order and the Norsca the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

How are the green skins just a rapidly blobbing faction? I'm playing as Clan Angrund and they just keep throwing stacks of poo poo at me and each stack has better and better troops.

One turn they toss 2 armies at one of my walled towns, take it after taking massive losses and then when it's my turn they have THREE loving armies there and the ones I murdered the poo poo out of with my garrison are mostly recovered.

What the gently caress? How am I supposed to get through this and to karak eight peaks?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It also doesn't help with vampire and skaven corruption to the southwest. Clan Angrund just aren't in a very friendly neck of the woods...

They're a fun Army to play too but that +50% upkeep is loving brutal.

I have no problem annihilating anything that comes at me with my main Army but there's literally hordes of poo poo coming at me from nearly every direction except from the north west because of the wood elves.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'll try that out, I'm going to abandon my current game, I'm stuck in a constant loop of fighting off green skins and crushing vampire revolts due to having to destroy Sartossa since they wouldn't stop loving with me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I only started watching his recent stuff just to get better which has definitely improved my skill at the game. I never saw his earlier stuff but the stuff I have seen just seems like a guy that plays a ton of total war and knows a lot about the mechanics.

His disaster campaign/videos are pretty interesting.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

With the latest Nvidia update did anyone elses GeForce Experience optimal settings get changed to a bunch of medium/low settings? I have a 2080 Super, I have no problem running this game on max settings which is what the "optimal" settings used to be for me. But I just noticed since the update it changed it to these new "optimal" settings without me telling it to.

Took me a while to figure out why my new campaigns kept starting out at medium unit size.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Am I missing something with Repanses ME campaign? I can't figure out what the thirst mechanic or whatever is I've seen people talking about. I've also never played bretonnian factions before so in have no idea whats new with her anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

Basically, everytime you're garrisoned in a city, you get water. It lasts for 4 turns or so, but meanwhile you won't take desert attrition. It's pretty nice, since otherwise you have to basically set up a camp at the end of each movement or move quickly to avoid large attrition penalties.

That definitely does not seem to be happening.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah I'm not seeing any of that and I'm still in the desert. I don't think I'd have any mods that effect it, they're mostly just visual, can't think of any gameplay changing ones I have.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I just got up to 380 hours played in Warhammer 2, about to pass Rome 1 with 396 hours as my most played Total War Game. I've played pretty much all of them except for Thrones of Britannia and 3 Kingdoms.

Warhammer 2 just has to many factions and they all play differently, even between some that are the same race. It's hard to go back to some previous total wars because the factions aren't nearly as diverse as what we have in the Warhammer setting.

Warhammer 2 is definitely my all time favorite total war.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm also pretty sure Total War Warhammer 1 and 2's success factored into GWs decision to bring back the setting as Warhammer The Old World in a few years.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Any tips for fighting Alith Anar as dark elves? Playing as Morathi for the first time and I saw his stack of nothing but shadow walkers and.....gently caress all I got are dread spears and dark shards and a hydra.

When I played as Malekith I encountered Alith Anar much later in the game where I didn't have to worry much about a stack of shadow walkers.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

My concern is that his shadow walkers outrange my darkshards by quite a bit. Though true, they only have 30 armor and no shields.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah I'm on ME.

Just fought off a full stack from Tiranoc after consolidating the starting province. Now both Nagarythe and Hexoatl have declared war on me, both have a stronger strength rating than me.

I am using a Eevis mod that changes magic lords so my Morathi has bladestorm and a bunch of other magic abilities modded in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Man, the AI does some weird poo poo sometimes.

So I started over as Morathi and I don't think I did much differently but by the time I had the first province under control I had way more money, about 22k.

Then Nagarythe (who hates my loving guts) asked me for a whopping 140 gold for them to declare war on Tironoc. What the gently caress?

And Lord Mazadamundi gets loving wrecked by the Norscans next door.

So different than the first time I started with Morathi.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Often Abbreviated posted:

I just finished a Malus Vortex campaign and was proud of it being the only time I've been able to properly break the economy in WH2. If you rush to grab the three island province you start in, abandon Hag Graef, and be a slave crazy motherfucker in your one province then in twenty turns or so you'll have more money than you can spend. I stopped paying attention after the first ~200k.

Don't worry about capturing more territory, don't even build up a provincial war industry - just build up and recruit from your Black Arks and go sacking cities.

I've never been able to trade much as any dark elf faction anyways until the end game when you get a bunch of bonus rep with people that are enemies of your enemies.

Early on most other dark elves don't even want to trade with you.

Always have to depend on the slave economy, which quickly gets pretty crazy.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Terminal autist posted:

So I finally got a morathi ME campaign off the ground and Im totally clueless what a late game DE army looks like. So far I've just been running darkshards and spearmen, shades didnt seem great. Do i just make a line of executioners with a few darkshards and dragons?

Shades are worth it if you can afford to field the great sword version. They do more damage than dark shards and can more easily be moved to attack the enemy where they're vulnerable. With the great swords they can also stand up pretty well against infantry that attack them.

My DE armies would be supreme fire sorceress lord on black dragon, fire sorceress, death hag, 6 black guard, 7 shades with great swords, 2 bolt throwers, 2 war hydras.

I would have the black guard hold the line; which they do really well, while the shades and bolt throwers tear everything to shreds, the 2 sorceresses dropping constant burning heads and flame storms and of course the war hydras attacking their flanks and working their way in.

I never had any issues going up against other armies other than the rare all monster dino lizardman army.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For recruiting units so your settlements can be more economics focussed. Unless theres some unique building improving a unit type I do almost all of my recruitment from black arks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think it's actually doable now with the new turn times. Before I didn't like playing ME much because the turn times were ridiculous.

Plus I think Lustria and the Southlands are pretty cool environments to fight in.

I think the empire is pretty boring, seen that map with the huge sigmar statue so many times.

Granted you see the same maps other places too but the one with the statue always stands out to me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just started a game as Lokhir for the first time since the potion of speed update and holy poo poo is he an incredibly powerful start virtually from the very beginning. I always liked using black arks previously, more as deterrents to block certain corridors but also for recruitment, but now they are legitimately dangerous. And Lokhir very quickly has TONS of them to poo poo out all over the world, sacking every coastal city he can find.

I completely ignore going inland and instead just build up my coastal empire. Easily the biggest economy and most powerful military.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone that's played both an Eltharion and Imrik campaign? Wondering which has a more enjoyable one considering they both start in pretty lovely areas.

Currently playing through multiplayer as Grimgor, the first time I've ever played Greenskins. Surprisingly fun, Grimgors army of black orcs and giant spiders annihilates everything I've come across so far. I also have them all equipped with that immortulz armor that causes them to frighten enemies so they're usually just chasing down and murdering retreating enemies throughout a battle. Cuts through dwarven doomstacks like they're expendable tier 1 troops.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm loving Teclis on his arcane phoenix. Now that I understand magic/game mechanics better I can get a lot more out of a caster lord than when I first started playing WH2. I regularly get like 500-800 kills with him per battle plus his spell animations and the arcane phoenix combat animations makes for a really flashy casting lord. What's left runs into my sisters of avelorn and get annihilated.

The nearly 100 turns of chaos stacks from the ocean off the coast of Lustria in the ME campaign is pure bullshit though. Playing Loremasters/Itza multiplayer campaign with my buddy and I've feel like I've destroyed dozens of chaos stacks over about 70 turns turn with more spawning. Warriors of Chaos gets wiped out after their first turn each time they spawn but the minor chaos stacks keep coming.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Any tips for strategies on moving up to hard campaign from normal? Having difficulty balancing between expanding too much and getting overextended or not expanding enough and getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of enemy armies coming at me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

drat, don't know how I missed those posts.... Thanks!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone else use Incendiary (+100% weapon str) archmages on dragons as their high elf lords? The stack I've been using is an incendiary archmage on dragon, 2-3 incendiary regular mages on dragons, handmaiden, loremaster of hoeth, 5 swordmasters of hoeth and the rest sisters of avelorn.

So far I haven't come across an army that can kill more than a handful of mine, they're usually near annihilated by the mages by the time they get within range of the sisters. Probably don't need the loremasters but they have been pretty useful when I've been heavily outnumbered.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

How should I approach attacking walled settlements as Ikit Claw? Had my first major battle attacking one and even blowing holes in the wall frequently my rattling gunners wouldn't fire for some reason. It turned into a bloodbath that I got a decisive victory out of somehow. Lost 2 warlock engineers that were in their teens too....

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks guys! I finally recruited a couple of poison wind mortars to go with my catapults and yeah, they're pretty drat good at killing poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm playing Alith Anar for the first time and holy poo poo is he OP as gently caress. High Elf armies with stalk stance factionwide is loving ridiculous. Any enemy army caught in the open is almost a guaranteed successful ambush.

edit: and forgot to mention his shadow paths mechanic for all his armies as well.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 6, 2020

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've always had a hard time using cavalry in WH2, one or two models will always get stuck in a formation and then take heavy casualties trying to cycle charge them. This includes units like blood knights for me.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So do the other elves ever comment on Alith Anar being called the Shadow King? Seems like a title that would be in conflict with the Phoenix King.

I'm playing a co-op campaign as the wood elves for the first time, curious if they're going to get the stalk stance for their armies in the DLC patch. Surprised they didn't already have it, their roster seems the most inclined of all the elf factions to have stalk stance.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Have fun with all of the chaos stacks that periodically spawn down there! I think they need to redo how they have those spawn in, they completely gently caress over any faction near them and there's nothing they can do about it since they're nowhere near where the main chaos faction spawns in at.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If you have the DLC for Avelorn the Sisters of Avelorn Archer unit will completely annihilate anything in the game. A full stack isn't that expensive either, they're only like 220 gold for upkeep.

I don't think there's any army that can go up against a full stack of sisters of Avelorn formation and not get mauled at the least. Put them in a checkerboard formation and even top tier cavalry will have a hard time getting through them.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think Warhammer has obviously proven that Total War fans enjoy fantastical settings, I think they're definitely going to continue making them after Warhammer 3.

The resource system in Troy is awesome and I hope they used something similar in Warhammer 3. Feels like I actually have an empire to manage rather than just deciding to spend gold on either buildings or units. Also gives you more tools to use with diplomacy with the bartering system.

It's also pretty sweet being able to have a huge hoard of food you can use to mass produce a bunch of troops and run on a deficit for a bit to overwhelm an opponent.

Hope 3k goes on sale again sometime in the next few months, it's the only main line Total War game I haven't played yet.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

While Warhammer 2 is my favorite Total War game and it definitely has the most interesting campaign map I feel like it's also one of the most boring to interact with. Trade resources only matter to economies that are based around trade and even then it's nothing more advanced then "build trade resource building, have trade agreements".

I also like having elite units tied to harder to get resources, it's a lot harder to build doomstacks because of it which I think is a good thing. I think that system can easily be translated to the Warhammer setting for some kind of magical/fantasy resource that is possibly dependent on faction that would be needed to recruit top tier units.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've played way more Warhammer 2 than any other Total War game but Troy has really showed me that I miss being more involved on the campaign map. I play co-op campaigns in Warhammer 2 all the time with one of my buddies that I've been playing Total War campaigns with since Empire, the only really interesting part about expanding your empire in Warhammer 2 is the unique buildings certain races get in certain regions.

Troy has a good number of settlements right in the middle of choke points and their zone of influence actually covers the entire choke point so the only way to get around it is to either conquer it or siege it with a second army and then bypass it. I can't think of any similarly placed settlements in Warhammer 2 that you can't just freely walk right by because the zone of influence is so small.

I'm really interested to see what they end up doing with Warhammer 3, wonder when they will starting sharing some details about it.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For how hard Morathi's start is on ME it always surprises me how not only is she extremely aggressive as the AI, she frequently comes out on top and becomes a super power.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

id really like to see the 3k stuff imported for ham3 but don't think we will

i just really like the 3 lords to an army, diff lords recruit diff units based on their level and super units being unlocked by tech you can rush

Everything about 3k is better than Warhammer 2 except for the faction and unit/roster variety.

Isn't Warhammer 2 still the Rome 2 engine? Why wouldn't they use the newer 3k one?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I haven't touched overhauls in a TW game since Rome 2 or so, they almost always end up having some feature or mechanic that I find annoying but can't get rid of because its built into the overhaul.

I do play with a good amount of mods though and always have, I like using individual mods to better tailor the game to my own tastes.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I almost never finish campaigns mostly because they have become more tedious than fun. I cannot loving stand having a bunch of heroes and lords that need to have skill points used each turn. There is an obnoxious amount of skill points, why do so many need 3 skill points to max them?

To a lesser extent building up settlements also gets tedious, you mostly end up building the same poo poo everywhere. In 3K I felt like I had to put a bit more thought into my settlements. The character upgrade system in 3K is also much better, I'd like to see something like it in WH3.

WH2 also seems to mostly have much smaller maps than previous titles, it's like they're all just designed for each army to ram into each other, similar to how you're always within range of towers on siege maps. Just all around lazy maps, though I think the environments themselves are top notch.

WH2's strengths are its huge and varied unit rosters, everything else is done better in other TW games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Despite how hard Morathi's campaign is for a player as the AI she nearly always ends up as one of the more powerful factions in my games which results in an irritating amount of chaos corruption everywhere.

What's everyone's opinion on the strongest hero types? I think Isabella's vampires are pretty OP, I don't think I've gotten nearly as much use out of other factions hero types.

I think for some hero's though I just don't end up using them as intended because they sometimes end up not synergizing well with the way an army is built.