Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

is this only an issue with 58+?

seeing this on 57

58 is completely different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its also not that fast. only in comparison to how poo poo slow firefox was i guess

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIywpvHewc0

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

How do they come up with those numbers, I get like 3s on Safari, Chrome is spinning loading some advert in the background on Yelp.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i love that we live in a world where basic websites where all useful information is text (or text with a couple of pictures) take multiple seconds from request to page render on modern computers with hundred megabit connections

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so realtalk, and taken as given that all browsers are already bad, do we like firefox more than chrome now or what

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they made it look like microsoft edge

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

pram posted:

they made it look like microsoft edge

It looks stupid

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lysidas posted:

chrome is infuriating and unusuable because of the combined address + search bar, good to know firefox is getting even better :toot:

if you press ctrl k, or just type a ? in the address bar in chrome you start a search, and if you type a vaguely shaped url with a / in it then it tries to resolve it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

all i'm getting from that is that whatever computer they are using is drat shameful

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i guess the new css engine just hit the beta so maybe ill try it though

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bloody posted:

i love that we live in a world where basic websites where all useful information is text (or text with a couple of pictures) take multiple seconds from request to page render on modern computers with hundred megabit connections

as a web dev, lol

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
for whatever reason, chrome's been using like 1gb of ram per open tab(only addon is ublock).

like :cmon:
neither edge or Firefox use a tenth the amount of ram for the same sites.

Themage fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 6, 2017

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Bloody posted:

there was an amazing period after i got broadband and a proper internet browser, and before every site started loading about 1500 trackers, where most things would take like half a second to load. it was brilliant.

now even pressing the back button is a multi second load on some browsers (although safari has generally been pretty good in this regard)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

block ads and trackers you fools

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

*wallows in neck-deep poo poo* buh why's it so hard to move???

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

*wallows in neck-deep poo poo* buh why's it so hard to move???
This is what people actually believe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I don't use ad blockers because the only difference I've noticed with them is a full screen "plz turn off your adblocker", I don't believe ad blockers eliminate or cut down on ads. I don't want to pay LowTax $5 for no ads, I assume he will probably make more than $5 off the ads at the top of the page. If I did choose to go with no ads I would do it because I wanted too not because it is the only way to stop the spam.

Of course it keeps happening here, always originates from the same URL, voluumtrk.horizon-trading.com

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
i use opera.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

blue stymie is right. firefox is good now.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The move to webextensions seems to have hurt some add-on makers

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its certainly made people tacking on features very mad that their old codebase is old still

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
They had 56 releases to layer the cruft

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
firefox has been good, glad everyone else is joining the bandwagon now all of a sudden

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Careful Drums posted:

firefox has been good, glad everyone else is joining the bandwagon now all of a sudden

lol nice fakepost

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Generic Monk posted:

there was an amazing period after i got broadband and a proper internet browser, and before every site started loading about 1500 trackers, where most things would take like half a second to load. it was brilliant.

now even pressing the back button is a multi second load on some browsers (although safari has generally been pretty good in this regard)

This is why I use uBlock, I live on a hill in a desert and my internet connection sucks ballsack. Without it everything takes 5x as long to load

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

schranz kafka posted:

lol nice fakepost

not even joking, i have this dope sticker on my laptop that's the firefox logo and cool print 'browse free or die'

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
ok, gonna try out firefox for a while now. used to chrome... firefox seems to scroll like 1 line further down than chrome when using my epic gaming mouse scroll wheel

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
fixed it by setting mousewheel.default.delta_multiplier_y to something like 95 in about:config

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

i have not received any reports of edge loving poo poo up (because nobody uses it lol).

safari, however, is basically guaranteed to break when handling any relatively new protocol in ways that no other browser does.

edge still misses relatively new stuff that chrome and Firefox supports but yeah for the most part it is better than safari, the new ie of browsers

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually the ie of browsers is still ie which is the second most used browser today (not including edge)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Edge is the best browser.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

to download Firefox with

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
opera status: still really nice and the only good chromium-based anything, works fine with 999 tabs, saves battery

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

wish i could get it with servo for a backend, tho. the ui blows anything else out of the water and they've done the best they can with chromium/blink

burning swine
May 26, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

opera status: still really nice and the only good chromium-based anything, works fine with 999 tabs, saves battery

has it reached opera-12 levels of functionality yet

I forget which version I last tried but it was at least 2 years after the blink transition and major bits were still missing

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
edge scrolling on 144 hz monitors is cool and good but GD edge loves to turn off ublock all the time for some reason.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

has it reached opera-12 levels of functionality yet

I forget which version I last tried but it was at least 2 years after the blink transition and major bits were still missing

I don't miss Opera 12 at this point at all. it doesn't have email or irc or newsgroups built in but who the hell needs that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Just ran first update since getting firefox quantum :patriot:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
There was another update waiting when I went to check the version :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i generally have more luck working with firefox's dev tools than chrome's but i also never have to touch loving web dev anymore

scratchpad is cool i dont know when they added that

• Locked thread