Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deep dish peat moss

I did this a long time ago and it went over well, let's try again

It takes a while to do one of these but I will keep it up until I get through everyone in the thread or get exhausted

To get a reading you need only ask a personal question about your life, and then give me the positions of 10 cards from the deck below. You may also specify a time frame, like if you want to ask a question and get an answer on how it will affect you over the next 6 months, 10 years, etc. I can do that.

I will do a full Celtic Cross (10 card) reading. The Celtic Cross seeks to answer your question by analyzing it from 10 different angles:

1) The Issue
The heart of the question which sets the tone for the rest of the reading.

2) The Crossing
The forces working against you and holding you back from solving the issue.

3) Subconscious
The underlying things affecting the issue that you may not be aware of.

4) Conscious
The visible things affecting the issue, things that you may be aware of but that will make sense to no one but you.

5) The Past
Past events in your life that have lead you to where you are now.

6) The Near Future
Where the issue will take you in the near future.

7) You
Your current position in the astrological cosmos.

8) Hopes/Fears
Your hopes and fears for the issue and how they will affect it

9) Surrounding
How the world or people around you are reacting to the issue

10) Outcome
What the final outcome will be.

(caveat emptor: I know nothing about tarot except for my mom was a new-age hippie and you're relying on my wild imagination more than any kind of mystical divining powers or yu-gi-oh style heart of the cards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I want to do this but I can't think of an adequate personal question...

deep dish peat moss

It can be as vague as you want it to be, it could just be something like "Will I get it?" or any question you want answered.

You have to tell the cards what you need answered so they can divine the future...

Olive!

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Then I will ask how do I become happier?

A1, A11, C1, C5, C11, C14, D8, F1, F11, F14

deep dish peat moss

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Then I will ask how do I become happier?

A1, A11, C1, C5, C11, C14, D8, F1, F11, F14

The Issue - Ace of Wands
The Ace of Wands is a card of power and assertion. It represents the initial steps of a new path, or new circumstances on your existing path. Either way, it likely means that something new is needed to get you moving, and the Ace of Wands in this position means that now is the right time for you to channel more energy in to whatever that new project is.

The Crossing - King of Swords
The King of Swords is an incredibly intelligent man, maybe even to a fault. He considers intelligence and wisdom to be the foremost pursuits of a healthy existence. There are several ways that we can read this card in the position of The Crossing. He is often seen to represent figures of law, morality and justice, and this could be telling us that something like the law or the church are the major obstacle in your path to happiness. That's a pretty grim reading though. I prefer one about his flaws - the King of Swords is a strict perfectionist and demands the best out of those around him. Maybe your judgments of yourself are what's getting in your way, perhaps what you need is to lessen your expectations for yourself, relax a little, and not allow yourself to become the King of Swords.

Subconscious - The Wheel of Fortune
The Wheel of Fortune is the symbol of fate and destiny. It can be represented as karma, perhaps telling you that for you to find happiness, you need to bring more happiness to others, as you're repaid equally for what you put in to the world. Its other major representation is that of the endless cycle that all of us ride throughout our lives. Imagine your life as a great water wheel, everything that rises must fall, and things that happen once tend to happen again. Consider your life and where you are now - is this a place you've been before? What came after, last time? This card in this position tells me that you are likely being too harsh on yourself, that maybe you think you're unhappier than you actually are and that's what's making you unhappy. Much like the King of Swords above shows us, relaxing your expectations for yourself might be what you need.

Considering the Ace of Wands in the first position, maybe what the cards are saying is that you should chase that thing you've always liked, but never thought you were good enough to do.

Conscious - Queen of Wands
The Queen of Wands is a social butterfly. She's kind, warm and open, and people flock to her. However, she always holds grudges, and if she's not valued she will disappear from your life. She's fiery and impassioned and selfless, and always speaks her mind. She often represents a friend who will stand by your side no matter what comes your way. The true interpretation of what this card means in this position can only come from inside you. It could be that there's a close friend in your life who is on your conscious mind, and perhaps a decision involving them could lead to happiness. It could also mean that your consciousness is overloaded searching for this person. The cards don't know enough about your life to know for sure, but I lean toward the later when this is considered alongside the Wheel of Fortune in the Subconscious position. Maybe what it's telling us is that there's something you've always been searching for, but it's not what you really need, and you shouldn't be so dead-set on finding it.

The Past - Six of Swords
The Six of Swords represents the end of a battle, or peace being restored after a trial. Did you go through a trying personal experience recently? If you think hard there's probably something that shook you in some way, and this card in the Past position represents moving on from that, putting it behind you, learning and growing from it. Something that once ailed you is no more.

The Future - The Tower Reversed
The picture on The Tower always depicts the tower falling down or being struck by lightning. Don't be afraid of this kind of imagery in Tarot. This is the card of sudden changes, of great explosions in your life that can change things for better or for worse. It represents getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new, forcing yourself in to something that you might not like at first.

This is one of the most powerful and debated cards in Tarot and the exact interpretation often depends on the exact question being asked. In cases of love it could mean either the abrupt ending of an existing relationship or the explosive beginning of something new. In finances it could mean being laid off or it could mean stunning new opportunities.

However your Tower is Reversed. This tells me that you should be looking inside of yourself for anything that's simmering under the surface. If you've buried something, it's dangerously close to exploding out of you, for better or for worse. It represents telling someone how you feel, be it a lover or a boss or a colleague or a friend. With this card in your Future position, there's a high chance that this is your road to happiness.

You - The Devil
The Devil seems scary at first glance but again, don't be afraid of this kind of imagery in Tarot. He's actually a pretty incompetent devil, and his meaning - especially in this position - is a mirror of the Tower Reversed in the Future position above. The Devil represents facing your inner demons, often from our past or from childhood. When you face your fears and look inward you find that they're not so scary after all, and that your personal demons aren't as mean as you thought. Unsurprisingly given the rest of your spread, the Devil often represents mischief and fun - i.e. cutting loose a little, lowering your expectations and living it up. In this position this tells me that maybe you have a hobby or interest that you feel guilty about - maybe something someone told you that you're no good at - that you should return to.

Surrounding - The Sun
The Sun appearing in any Tarot spread is always a good thing. It signifies well-being, happiness, health, and optimism. In the Surrounding position, this likely means that those around you have a much higher opinion of you than you have of yourself. They see the good side of you and seek out the best in you. Along with the rest of the spread thus far, the cards keep telling you to lighten up on yourself!

Hopes/Fears - Seven of Pentacles
The Seven of Pentacles is a card of somber reassurance and practicality. It's the slap on the forehead waking you up to the fact that things aren't as bad as you thought. It's a reminder that change - even though it's not always welcome - is necessary for personal growth. It's unclear whether this is speaking to your hopes for something to change or your fear of that change, but either way it's telling you that change is what life is, and it's unavoidable, and you'll be fine.

Outcome - The Fool
The Fool is an anomaly. He has no number, he represents a blank slate. This often represents taking a plunge into something new, and it'll be something so new that the results are unpredictable. It's telling you feel the fear, but face it anyway. Jump off the cliff into the river and trust that it will carry you to somewhere beautiful.

My tl;dr reading
What you need is something new, and you need to jump in to it without agonizing over what might happen. I don't know what that something is but it seems to be something that you always thought you weren't good enough for. Maybe it's picking up a new hobby you've always considered, or asking someone out instead of being afraid of rejection, or making that big move you've always thought about.

Grandmother of Five

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Tarot rules! I don't know much about it, but the artwork and history always strikes me as really cool, and I feel like it is sort of fascinating how there is such a great amount of card-combinations, that pretty much everyone can get a unique draw. Like, cold reading and interpretation aside, a 3-card drawing from a regular Tarot deck has nearly half a million possible combinations!

Anyway, I'd like to pick these numbers; A8, B13, C1, C5, C11, F7, F4, F5, C13, A8.

My question is: Will this help?

cda

by Hand Knit
What program should I apply to. (Is this an answerable question?)

A6, B2, B11, C2, C11, D1, E13, F4, F7, F12

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted
Not with that punctuation mister

:ghost: Happy halloween :ghost:

N. Senada

My kidneys are busted
I heard once that these kinds of things are only as profound as the questions you ask it. don't know if that's true but here goes

Will I have a good halloween this year?

And here are my cards I chose (highlighted them for your convenience):

:ghost: Happy halloween :ghost:

DrowningInDreams

Dilettante lizard
Am I guilty or am I innocent?

B7
B8
B9
C9
D9
E9
E8
E7
D7
C7

“Torn between violence and disillusionment, I seem to myself a terrorist who, going out in the street to perpetrate some outrage, stops on the way to consult Ecclesiastes or Epictetus” - Emil Cioran

Elusif

Bingo! What did I win?

kalel

What I really to know is Does P = NP? how can I get my family members to stop hating each other?

A2, F11, C9, B2, B10, A3, D13, B6, F7, F1

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I don't know if it's been said, but what makes Tarot readings really cool is that it's not about actual psychic powers or magic, but about finding answers within oneself.

Once upon a time it was considered evil to look for power within oneself because that was up to god. The essence of atheistic satanism is that YOU control your destiny and it's not up to anyone else. Old fashioned witchcraft just means trying to make sense of the universe, a task that was considered not in the realm of mortals.

Bearing that in mind, don't think too hard about your results, just consider what they might mean to you personally.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

I don't know if it's been said, but what makes Tarot readings really cool is that it's not about actual psychic powers or magic, but about finding answers within oneself.

Yeah things like Tarot and astrology are incredibly cool and complex systems for procedurally generating fictional narratives. The criticism that astrological readings, for example, can apply to many different people is actually their strength. Imagine reading Hamlet and saying "the problem here is that too many people will be able to see themselves in this narrative." These systems are dope specifically because they have been developed and refined over many centuries in a dynamic process that involves people saying "wtf, that doesn't sound like me at all," with the result that what remains is a very pure and maximally relevant constellation of archetypal characters and situations.

Of course to the extent that practicioners make claims for the predictive powers of these systems, that's just flim-flam.

Italo Calvino's Castle of Crossed Destinies is a cool fictional exploration of this aspect of Tarot.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

deep dish peat moss

Italo Calvino is cool, I just read The Baron in The Trees and I might have to check that one out next.

I got back in to tarot as a writing tool, I can use it to sort of divine the future for a character and then write a scene about it and it gives me a much broader picture of how the story's conflict relates to the character beyond the superficial level of "They're facing this problem"

I'm about to head out to class but I will do more readings when I get home tonight. They take about 30 minutes to an hour each so I might not get to some of you for a few days but we'll see!

artoke

Is the question "What do I want?" too vague? Please do a reading to tell me so I can ask you to do a reading for the question "What do I want?".

Actually, lets just cut to the chase. What do I want?

f5, d6, e14, a8, c6, c12, e5, a4, b7, f3

Death Bot

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Is this all gonna work out?

Cool thread btw :)

DragQueenofAngmar

You shall not pass!
will i get one soon?

f12 d3 d8 a9 c11 e1 d1 b6 f2 f4

Grandmother of Five

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Hmm. Some interesting takes about how Tarot is a neat tool that makes for a framework that allows for a bit of critical self-reflection, but I wonder if you have considered that it is real and will easily fix all my problems.

Grandmother of Five

hmm *looking back and forth betwen a possible explanation that reduces the universe to an uncaring, endless series of 1's and 0's on one hand, and on the other hand an explanation where I am running to my wedding ceremony with a piece of toast in my mouth*

cda

by Hand Knit

Grandmother of Five posted:

hmm *looking back and forth betwen a possible explanation that reduces the universe to an uncaring, endless series of 1's and 0's on one hand, and on the other hand an explanation where I am running to my wedding ceremony with a piece of toast in my mouth*

Lol

Starman Super DX

A5, A10, B12, C3, C11, D7, E5, E8, E9, F14

What will my career prospects look like within the next year?

Tell me more!

deep dish peat moss

Tarot rules! I don't know much about it, but the artwork and history always strikes me as really cool, and I feel like it is sort of fascinating how there is such a great amount of card-combinations, that pretty much everyone can get a unique draw. Like, cold reading and interpretation aside, a 3-card drawing from a regular Tarot deck has nearly half a million possible combinations!

Anyway, I'd like to pick these numbers; A8, B13, C1, C5, C11, F7, F4, F5, C13, A8.

My question is: Will this help?

There is no B13 because squares have no place in Tarot so I gave you B11 instead, and C7 instead of the 2nd A8 as you requested:

Will This Help?

The Issue - Four of Cups
The Cups cards tell a story, as more cups are added it progresses chronologically. Three cups is the party, four cups is the hangover. It's the day after. It's the period of rest.

This usually represents feeling sapped, like you're out of energy and need to relax and rest for a while. It can also represent uncertainty and confusion.What this means in regard to your question is mostly going to be up to your own interpretation. It's often linked to advice to make sure you're eating and sleeping well and taking care of yourself. Maybe that's what your question is really about, after all - maybe you're asking "Should I take care of myself?" and hopefully this spread will help you find the answer.

The Crossing - Two of Swords
The Swords are linked invariably to Air, which in the tarot represents intellectual pursuits, thought, wisdom, dreams and ideals, and they seem to have a heavy presence in your spread.

The Two of Swords depicts the relationship between two swords in battle who are now taking a rest, it symbolizes a tension in your life between yourself and someone (or something) else. Lots of swords make a war, but two swords is a duel - it's not visible to everyone, it doesn't go in the history books - it might be a tension that no one is ready to acknowledge. The swords are at rest though, from a recent truce maybe. It could be that you've recently entered a new period of ceasefire and it's not sitting well with you, or maybe you're debating whether you need one.

In the position of the Crossing in particular, this card represents the feeling of working against yourself - the idea that what you're working toward might not be right for you, and you're reluctant to fully commit to it. Maybe you feel like something else in your life needs to change before you can fully dedicate yourself.

It's always important to note that addressing the underlying issues is the best way to move forward. what this card is telling me is that you have an issue that needs to be resolved before the answer to your question can be fully understood.

Subconscious - The Page of Pentacles
Pages represent youthful exuberance, but also inexperience. Pentacles often represent finances, wealth, or lifestyle.

This card likely indicates some kind of financial windfall headed your way, but it could just mean some kind of positive surprise in general. In the Subconscious position it's likely that the surprise coming your way is something unexpected, it could be good news that you sorely need or a new source of income.

It represents a small surprise, so don't go expecting a winning lottery ticket out of this, but the small surprises are the most impactful on our lives and the stories we leave on the world. Something small and unexpected but wonderful is going to affect the answer to your question.

Conscious - Three of Swords
And we're back to the swords. The Three of Swords usually depicts stress in a relationship with another. It could be someone's inconsistent behavior, a passionate new relationship fizzling out and not becoming anything profound, or hurt feelings and lost love.

In the Conscious position this tells me that there's probably something you're obsessing over, and maybe it's time to separate a little and move on. Keep walking, don't look back. It can be heartbreaking, but heartbreak is fertilizer for the soul and leads you toward enlightenment.

Past - Three of Pentacles
The Three of Pentacles represents success, praise, and reward. It generally leads to higher confidence, and other people start to take notice of you and respect you.

Just because this is in the Past position does not mean that success is behind you. It could mean that it's time for you to put your success behind you, and take a loss in pursuit of something that makes you happier. It could mean that you've recently lost success, but it's important to note that success is never dead forever.

Near Future - Judgement
The only Major Arcana of your spread appears in the Near Future, and in the Judgment card no less. Judgment is a card to be feared and respected, but it is not malicious.

Judgement represents life-changing experiences. A muse that changes the way you think about life, a new perspective you never had before; a profound revelation. Playing in on cards in previous positions, it seems that there exists a great sense of loss somewhere in your question, and this card shows us that your path to enlightenment is found in the very loss that's been ailing you.

This is your time to start anew, to throw away your past mistakes and embrace the person you've become because of them. In accordance to the position and your question, it seems that "help" will come in the form of your personal rebirth.

You - Knight of Pentacles
Like the Swords, the Pentacles are well represented in your spread. The Knight of Pentacles is a hard-working and diligent man who is good at his job. He's reliable and dependable, though some people may find him dull and boring because of it. He takes pride in the things he accomplishes.

The theme I'm getting throughout your spread so far is that it's time to stop resting on your laurels, it's time for past successes to become past successes and time for you to seek a present success.

Surrounding - Knight of Cups Reversed
The Knight of Cups represents an explosive romance, a great lover - though not always a good influence. Reversed, the Knight represents negativity, break-ups, affairs, substance abuse, endings and heartbreak.

In the Surrounding position, this tells me that someone (or something) in your life may not be what they seem. They may have ulterior motives, and they may be willing to hurt you to achieve their own goals.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you need to be suspicious of everyone in your life - it could be someone brand-new that you haven't met yet. What this card means is that you should be cautious of the people who exist or enter your surroundings.

Hopes/Fears - Six of Wands
The Six of Wands represents communication - generally, better communication between yourself and those around you. A newfound harmony that washes over your life and erases quarrels.

This is likely what you're hoping for - a peaceful calm, a time in your life that's entirely about you and what you produce, and perhaps you're afraid you won't find it.

Outcome - Queen of Cups Reversed
The Queen of Cups is the queen of love. When reversed, it is often read as a deeply depressed woman. Perhaps due to loss or tragic life circumstances, but perhaps a clinical depression that never seems to go away. This represents inconsistency and dishonesty, insecurity, co-dependent relationships, jealousy or vengeance.

In the Outcome position this means that it's likely that your decision is going to leave someone, perhaps yourself, hurt and reeling. While this is never good news, as shown in the rest of the spread your path to the help you seek is through allowing the pain to work over you and being reborn through it, that pain is exactly what will teach you what you need to know about yourself.

my tl;dr interpretation:
You're trying to make a decision, and the decision is going to leave people hurting. However, it may be what is best for you - you'll be hurting too, and through that pain you will grow into something new and stronger, and allow you to achieve new heights.

Piso Mojado

deep dish peat moss

cda posted:

What program should I apply to. (Is this an answerable question?)

A6, B2, B11, C2, C11, D1, E13, F4, F7, F12

My friend, I am not sure if this is an answerable question but through the power of Tarot we will find out together.

What program should I apply to?

I call upon my friends in the Tarot of Dreams deck to answer this one.

The Issue - Seven of Pentacles
The Pentacles are aligned with Earth, the element of pragmatism, reliability, caution and practicality. I think this bodes well for answering your question.

The Seven of Pentacles in particular represents your life not feeling settled. In Numerology, 7 is the number of introspection and solitude. The Seven of Pentacles is a friend and wants you to look at the rest of the drawing in a positive light. It's telling us that it has the answers you seek.

The Crossing - Ten of Wands
The Ten of Wands generally represents overworking, letting your personal life pass you by while you focus on career or academic goals. It reminds you that you need to strike a balance, if you put 100% of your energy in to your program, 100% of the reward you receive will be related to the program.

In the Crossing position I believe this serves mostly as a warning going forward and not an actual obstacle to success at this time.

Subconscious - The High Priestess
The High Priestess is a very interesting card to see in any spread. She is a strong proponent of trusting in yourself and seeking your own counsel. She reminds you to take a step back and place higher value on your own opinion than on those of others for the time being.

This generally represents there being more to be revealed in this situation, and that some form of secret knowledge may await if you simply give it some time.

Perhaps in the Subconscious position this represents you feeling as if you need to wait, but whether or not you do remains to be seen.

Conscious - Page of Cups
The Pages, as always, represent youthful exuberance and perhaps ignorance as well. The Page of Cups signifies the coming of a new passion. In the Conscious position and given the question asked, this may mean that you're still looking for that thing that will capture your heart.

When taken together with the High Priestess in your Subconscious, I think the cards are telling us that you are paralyzed by this decision; that your conscious and subconscious are duking it out, leading to a cycle of indecisiveness.

Past - The Hermit
The Hermit represents a quest taken by you alone. A path that required you to become hermit-like and seek answers from within.

The Hermit's lesson that he wants all of us to follow is this; In order to achieve inner peace, you must take what you have learned from others and from life experiences and turn it in to your own personal wisdom. You needed to find your own way to illuminate the cave. It goes on to tell us that the only thing that can be changed is the self, and when the self needs a change, everything else must wait.

This being in the Past position could mean that you're getting over the idea that you have to rely on yourself, maybe this is why you're seeking a new program - you're ready to learn from others.

Near Future - Page of Swords
The Page of Swords represents scandal and gossip. This could also mean betrayal. I think the cards may be telling us someone in your life is attempting to steer you in a direction that isn't right for you, but the paramount priority here is that you trust your gut. If someone is trying to convince you of something that doesn't feel right to you, it may be best to avoid it. Don't allow this to make you wary of everyone who offers advice, but be cautious if things feel wrong.

You - Six of Pentacles Reversed
The Six of Pentacles when reversed could mean imminent loss, perhaps legal or financial. I'm a bit stumped as to what this could mean in the context of your question and in the You position but this site I found on Google says that it could mean to be wary of new debt. "It is possible with the reversed Six of Pentacles that you are getting in over your head and it will soon come back to bite you in excessive interest rates or personal threats if you are unable to pay it back in time. Be wary, too, of ‘get rich quick’ schemes that are more likely to leave you with a hole in your pocket than a pile of cash."

Surrounding - Three of Wands
The Three of Wands represents a wealth of opportunities around you, this is doubly powerful in the Surrounding position. You may be finding yourself with many offers or many options, so be open to all possibilities even those that don't seem likely.

I believe this card is telling us that you should reach for the stars and apply to even the programs you think you have no chance of getting in to.

Hopes/Fears - Nine of Pentacles Reversed
The Nine of Pentacles, when reversed, shows that your situation is less than ideal right now. It's about feeling cursed to never find what you need, perhaps finding yourself in some unsatisfactory situation that won't change unless you make it change. In this position this may represent a fear that your position is less than ideal, but perhaps it's not - maybe you just need to make some changes.

Outcome - Four of Wands
The Four of Wands represents a time when you've achieved success and things have settled down. It's the happiness that comes with realizing your dreams and finding your place in the world. This bodes well for the choice ahead of you. It also reminds you to not worry - things are already underway.

My tl;dr reading:
So the cards aren't going to tell you what program to choose, and I think they even contradict themselves in places, but we got a few important things out of them. You need to be cautious of other peoples' opinions on what you should do with your life, you may be putting too much weight on that right now when ultimately you are the only one who will be affected by this decision. I believe they caution you to make a decision and stick with it, as jumping around or changing your mind later could lead to serious financial concerns. I'm reminded of a psychology experiment in one of my textbooks years ago, but I can't find it on Google. After participants came in for an experiment where they looked at and rated paintings, they were told that they could take one painting home with them for free. Group A was told that their decision is final and could not be exchanged, Group B was told that they could come back and exchange it for a different painting any time over the next week. Group B reported significantly lower levels of satisfaction with their initial choice, and when many of them indeed returned to exchange their painting, they felt significantly lower levels of satisfaction with their new choice. Group A, on the whole, greatly enjoyed their free new paintings.

In summation I think the real answer to the question is that your happiness will not be based on which program you choose, your happiness will be based on your dedication to it and passion for it, and ultimately you are the only one who can truly know your dedication and passion.

Scaly Haylie

I don't have a lot of strife in my life, so I'm going to ask something pathetically nerdy. I play FF14 and have been tanking as I level and I feel that this has been going well, though since you can switch classes at any time I often wonder if I should branch out or try to specialize in something else entirely. I could heal. I could try a melee, ranged or casting class. I could go hard into crafting or gathering. Or I could stay the course and become a better tank. I'm not familiar with many or the damage-type classes, so trying one of them only to not excel is a bit scary to me.

The reason this has been on my mind is that my guild, a great and supportive bunch, encourages people to specialize. It may not be long until I'm at level cap, and I'm going to need to decide: what's the best way for me to serve my guild?

A7, C11, D1, F9, E3, B4, C8, F14, B9, A6

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 29, 2017

Grandmother of Five

tfw you shouldn't have messed around with the Ouija board

Thanks for the reading :)

Twenty Four

I never knew much about tarot but always dismissed it as a "theres no way this can predict anything" deal. Seeing now that it is more of a "take out of it what you want, and maybe get some introspection on your issue" makes it seem pretty neat!

If you get around to me, I suppose I could ask, since it has been a really long time since I have had that type of relationship, "how do I find romantic love again?"

Starman Super DX

Twenty Four posted:

I never knew much about tarot but always dismissed it as a "theres no way this can predict anything" deal. Seeing now that it is more of a "take out of it what you want, and maybe get some introspection on your issue" makes it seem pretty neat!

my gf is a "witch" (which is how I know this stuff lol) but only in the sense that she enjoys this kind of thing as a hobby. it's not meant to be thought of as literal magic so much as it is more like meditation or a mantra.
awhile back I mentioned trying out a spell myself to see if it would help me with my sobriety struggles- i didn't expect it to literally and magically fix my problems, it was just something to focus on for a certain sense of confidence.
tbh I'm making a lot more progress now than I have before. it wasn't the candle that did it though, it's the concentration that I put into it (or into the problem I wanted to solve).

Witchery sounds crazy but is actually very cool :)

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

my gf is a "witch" (which is how I know this stuff lol) but only in the sense that she enjoys this kind of thing as a hobby. it's not meant to be thought of as literal magic so much as it is more like meditation or a mantra.
awhile back I mentioned trying out a spell myself to see if it would help me with my sobriety struggles- i didn't expect it to literally and magically fix my problems, it was just something to focus on for a certain sense of confidence.
tbh I'm making a lot more progress now than I have before. it wasn't the candle that did it though, it's the concentration that I put into it (or into the problem I wanted to solve).

http://www.spellsofmagic.com/spells/spiritual_spells/conjuring_spells/6912/page.html

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit

Thank you, this was quite helpful, actually. If you ever decide to retire you should do this as a sideline.

----------------

Starman Super DX

lol

"This can probably be adapted for trains, but Ive never tried."

Tell me more!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
The things that witchcraft is good for:
1. generating narratives
2. self-analysis
3. getting crushed by thousands of falling buses because I pronounced "mote" wrong

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

deep dish peat moss

This isn't even related to Tarot but if you pronounce "mote" as "mota" you're saying "weed" (the kind you smoke) in Spanish.

cda

by Hand Knit
Moxa is a chinese herb trhat smells kind of like weed.

----------------

deep dish peat moss

tfw you shouldn't have messed around with the Ouija board

Thanks for the reading :)

This is something I've always struggled with in Tarot and all the new-agey kind of stuff. The words in that post may very well be true for your situation, and I think it's absolutely true that heartache and pain and loss are what mold us in to the people we become and without them we're never quite whole (what did David Foster Wallace say? "Although, of course, you end up becoming yourself."), but at the same time the empathetic human being in me doesn't want anyone to have to suffer from loss and heartache and so it felt bad to type up that whole big reading that's mostly saying "You're going to get hurt but don't worry, it will be good for you."

Don't make any big drastic painful changes in your life just because of a Tarot reading but hopefully through reflecting upon it you can come to some personal clarity on whether what you were considering is a good idea or not.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 29, 2017

deep dish peat moss

Starman Super DX posted:

I've been on this big kick for the last few years of, like, abandoning this perfectly-reasonable scientifically-oriented mind I've always had. I grew up with a very new-age mom who believed in some crazy poo poo like foot reflexology and benevolent aliens coming from the pleiades to save us from ourselves - when I was sick and needed to go to a doctor instead of taking me to a doctor she'd find a diagram in one of her foot reflexology books and point at a section on the foot and say "just massage your foot there, you'll be fine." and that was the end of it. And if I'm operating under that reasonable, scientific mind I can look at that and admonish it for being useless and dangerous, but if I look at it from the perspective I had as a kid I'd be sitting there sick to my stomach massaging my foot and while it didn't make me not sick, it gave me a goal to focus on and something to take my mind off of being sick. Distraction and belief are very powerful tools and it was a way to harness them to make the now more bearable. Were there times I should have gone to the doctor instead? Absolutely. But there were even more times when what I needed was just something to take my mind off of it.

So I used to write off things like Tarot and say - that's worthless, there's no way cards could know the future, it's the same thing as a horoscope where the advice given can be stretched to fit any situation or any problem so what could you possibly find of personal value in it?

And then as I got older and got in to serious relationships and had my heart broken lost friends and dealt with tragedies I never in a million years could have controlled I realized that - I'm not saying logic isn't real here, but - no one can ever be in tune with the universal logic that applies to everyone and everything around you. You'll never make sense of everything, you'll never know why everything happened and there are no rules you can follow to determine how someone else is feeling, and the more you try to compartmentalize it and decipher why things happened the way they did, the more miserable you become and the less in-tune with your existence you start to feel.

Ultimately just admitting that there's no right or wrong answer to half the questions I ask myself helped me get over a lot of anxiety that would always come up when I started to question things, and then exactly as you're pointing out here, when I stopped looking for answers that I could prove as right and started going with my gut things that felt right I became a lot happier and more relaxed.

Grandmother of Five

Please don't worry, if you are, I'm not :) I mean, my question was based on something real, sure, but my angle is that it was still for fun, and I agree with the angle that Tarot is just one possible framework for doing a bit of introspection - my previous posts about dismissing the rational angle and self-reflection were jokes. I thought it was neat to get a reading that was a fairly stark difference from a more happy-go-lucky catch-all!

Twenty Four

deep dish peat moss posted:

Don't make any big drastic painful changes in your life just because of a Tarot reading but hopefully through reflecting upon it you can come to some personal clarity on whether what you were considering is a good idea or not.

This is what I am hoping to take from it, if you get around to me. I would really appreciate something to look at, consider, and work towards self improvement, on a semi personal level. However, don't worry about whatever reading you are giving anyone as something to be concerned about, I think the yob should be chill enough to figure that out! Also with that in mind, if I do get a reading, just pick the cards yourself, or give me like A1 to A 10. It is up to us to do anything with the service you are giving out, and it is very cool of you! I am hoping for some inspiration though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss

N. Senada posted:

I heard once that these kinds of things are only as profound as the questions you ask it. don't know if that's true but here goes

Will I have a good halloween this year?

And here are my cards I chose (highlighted them for your convenience):

Will I Have a Good Halloween This Year?

For the drawing I am doing my best to approximate goatse in the cards.

Issue - Four of Wands Reversed
The Four of Wands Reversed tells us that delays may occur, that you may be worried that you're about to fail. But the card reminds us that failure is unlikely, so don't waste your time stressing over the things you can't control or change.

Don't be afraid of failure in your Halloween plans, if you're expecting to have a bad Halloween you will. You need to figure out what you're going to do and not feel bad about it, just let it come and enjoy the experience.

Crossing - Nine of Swords
The Nine of Swords is the proverbial "Dark Night of the Soul", it's the feeling of anxiety about an ongoing situation. Keep reminding yourself that no matter what happens, in the future you will look back at your dark nights and grow from them, you'll realize later on what you've learned from the experiences you had.

The Nine of Swords also represents feelings of isolation, of cutting yourself off from friends and family so that you can deal with disappointment on your own. It could be that isolation is the only way you can deal with recent experiences in your life.

In light of the question being asked I think the picture so far is that there's a part of you that's very worried you're going to have a bad Halloween, and maybe you're considering staying home alone and feeling miserable about it.

Subconscious - Eight of Cups
The Eight of Cups represents someone walking with a heavy heart, leaving behind a situation that brought them happiness (I mentioned the Cups cards telling a story before, the 3 of cups is the party - the 8 is the work week starting again after the party).

The cosmic meaning here is that there's never a bad time to move on, even if it hurts you will always grow from your experiences. We always end up better than we started, because life is a continual process of improving yourself. Perhaps you're feeling like all is lost, but the Eight of Cups reminds you that something remains which you can build on.

Conscious - Five of Wands
The Five of Wands is about conflict - or more specifically, the idea that conflict can be good. You might fear a big upcoming conflict, but when it actually plays out you will find clarity. I had a friend who was stuck in a relationship that was making him miserable and for a year he tried to sabotage it and find a way to end it. I told him that what he should be doing was talking about the things that were getting him down with his S/O, to just let her know all the lovely things he was feeling. And when he did, they talked about it and both ended up better off and happier together. It's like that - we fear conflict, but conflict doesn't have to end poorly. Maybe your conflict here is about what to do with your Halloween, but the fact that there is a conflict means there are options. Maybe you're conflicted about plans you made with a friend that you want to cancel - the card reminds you that a true friend will understand cancellation, and that a friend who wouldn't can't be as important to you as they are.

Past - King of Swords
As we saw in the very first reading, the King of Swords is a highly intelligent man who pursues knowledge and science to emotions and mysticism. It could represent the law, the church, or any authority figure that seeks to control the way you live your life.

He's honest and a man of his principles, but he's also very demanding and critical. His expectations are incredibly high for himself and those around him.

Near Future - Ace of Pentacles
The Pentacles are all about material success and wealth (though the 'material' part of that is often metaphorical). The Ace, being the 1, represents the beginning of that path. It symbolizes wealth, fulfillment, happiness, pleasure and satisfaction. In the Near Future position this tells you to be on the lookout for new opportunities. Maybe a last-minute change to Halloween plans will lead to exactly what you're looking for.

So far the reading seems to be telling us that in order to have a good Halloween, you need to avoid your King of Swords past (having extremely high expectations for your night, perhaps) and focus instead on the opportunities that are presenting themselves to you, if you just play along with them you'll have a good time!

You - Five of Pentacles
Again with the Pentacles! The Five, however, is a little darker than the others in its family. The Five of Pentacles is about isolation, feeling empty inside, feeling like you don't meet any measures of success. This often represents difficulties with self-confidence or self esteem. Maybe you feel like you have nothing to give and you're at some sort of rock bottom. It could also represent money problems - maybe you can't afford the costume you wanted or the bar you wanted to go to.

This card, especially in the You position, reminds you that you may need to put in extra effort to get over the doom and gloom - but that you will get over it, you will move on, and you will find what you're looking for. To quote a rapper, Jonwayne said it well "[little did I know that...] my fear of flying was keeping me from going up." Don't be afraid of improving yourself, don't be afraid of making decisions and doing things just for you and no one else. You are singularly in charge of your own growth and happiness.

Surrounding - Four of Pentacles
You're absolutely surrounded by Pentacles, my friend! The Four of Pentacles is usually about concentration on financial success, working to increase savings, or seeking financial security. You may fear financial loss. This card represents a good time to approach new business ventures, and in your Surrounding position and considering the question asked, I think it's telling us that this is a good year for you to seek the Halloween plans you've always wanted. Do that thing that you've always said "Man it would be fun if I spent this Halloween [xyz]".

Hopes/Fears - Two of Cups
The Two of Cups represents emotional engagement. This could be deep connections with others, or engaging with yourself.

I think this is telling us that you're worried of planning your Halloween around yourself, and worried about what others might think about it. You should do what makes you happy without worrying about what other people will think of it.

Outcome - Knight of Pentacles Reversed
The Knight of Pentacles is very hard-working and dutiful, but when Reversed it can represent an unemployed man, a "slacker", or someone who greatly prefers fun to hard work. There are many negative aspects that can be ascribed to the reversed Knight of Pentacles but this does not mean you have a negative outcome ahead of you. Remember that this card does not represent you, it represents someone or something in your upcoming future w/r/t Halloween.

What this could be telling us is that you need to spend your Halloween having fun instead of working (on trying to figure out whether you're having a good Halloween or whether you picked the right plans). Just go with the flow and do what you want to do on October 31st, and don't feel guilty for it!

My tl;dr reading:
Focus on what you want to do on Halloween. No one else's opinion is important when it comes to seeking happiness, you need to find it in yourself instead of in other people. Don't overthink the decision, either! As long as you do what you want to do instead of doing what you feel like you should do, even if that means turning off the lights and reading a book in your underwear, you'll have an enjoyable Halloween.

• Locked thread