Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Golf Story is now available for the Nintendo Switch on the e-shop.

It is a rpg/golf game hybrid. It is cool and good. Are you cool and good? Do you have a switch? Do you like 16 bit RPGs? Do you like golf games? If you answered yes then you will like golf story and should get it now.

---

Are you stuck? Not sure what to do next? Then wander around and look for someone with dots over their head. Or hit the + and look at your notes. Almost everything is spelled out for you.

---

Pro Tip: hold down B to run.

---

Seeing a lot of people ask about throwing the disc. It's not hard. Here is a handy user guide to becoming an awesome disc golf champion:
1 - hold X to throw. The more the bar fills up, the faster the disc will go and the longer it will stay in the air. You do not have to fill the bar.
2 - you can control the disc using the d-pad/analog stick.

That's it. There is nothing else to it. If you are having trouble it is because you haven't done it enough. It takes more than a couple tries to get good at controlling the disc. The game does not punish you for mistakes.

----

ZL/ZR buttons. These can be very helpful. When putting they can help you hit longer distances. For other shots they allow you to hit shorter distances. ZL drastically reduces a shot while ZR is a little less extreme. You can also use both at the same time.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Geese

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Question. Should I buy 2017 Game of the Year Golf Story?

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Golf Story: Fore skin in the rough

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Question. Should I buy 2017 Game of the Year Golf Story?

Absolutely, mate.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The HD Rumble for sinking a shot is so good!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I'm sure I'm looking right at it and not noticing, but where is the third switch for the clubhouse on the first screen of the course? I found 1, 2, and 4, but I can't find 3 anywhere.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Its a good thing this isn't Baseball Story cuz dude can't throw that golf ball more than like ten feet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You can't trigger perma-run, right?

(also where are the 3rd and 4th switches for that clubhouse, I only got the obvious one and the one with the kid in croc water)

Valency
Feb 3, 2010

HALT HALT HALT HALT HALT

Artix posted:

I'm sure I'm looking right at it and not noticing, but where is the third switch for the clubhouse on the first screen of the course? I found 1, 2, and 4, but I can't find 3 anywhere.

It's top left corner, back behind a bunch of trees. Took me a while to find that one too.
e: ^ Fourth is behind the clubhouse

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Toally sucked in

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ugh the disc golf section was annoying. Only bad part of the game so far, though!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hey real golf dorks, what's the use of topspin and backspin? I'm assuming topspin makes the ball roll further when landing, but backspin carries it higher/further through the air and bounce to a halt?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

enojy posted:

Hey real golf dorks, what's the use of topspin and backspin? I'm assuming topspin makes the ball roll further when landing, but backspin carries it higher/further through the air and bounce to a halt?

Dunno if it carries the ball further through the air, but good backspin will make a ball literally move backwards after hitting the ground. So you'd shoot past the hole and let the ball roll back into it.

Typically though, yeah, it's used to stop the ball dead in its tracks.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 29, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Valency posted:

It's top left corner, back behind a bunch of trees. Took me a while to find that one too.
e: ^ Fourth is behind the clubhouse
Yep, this was it. Thanks!

edit: oh my god the minigolf scientists are totally speedrunner jokes
edit2: "did he just beat the course record?" "of course not, there's not even a route for that yet"

and then they offer to sell you a putter that can curve shots for $314 :allears:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 29, 2017

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
can someone explain to me the difference between a focus shot and a normal shot? It's like up on the dpad or something

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

so immersive.....

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts

Toaster Beef posted:

Dunno if it carries the ball further through the air, but good backspin will make a ball literally move backwards after hitting the ground. So you'd shoot past the hole and let the ball roll back into it.

Typically though, yeah, it's used to stop the ball dead in its tracks.

If I may interject back spin rotates the top of the ball backwards toward the golfer, allowing more arc, less distance and faster stopping potential upon landing.

Now let me demonstrate my textbook swing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Monster Eagle!

Slam Dunk Chip In!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

so is this just a new version of mario golf GBC because if so I'll get it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

[quote="“Kaboobi”" post="“476873606”"]
so is this just a new version of mario golf GBC because if so I’ll get it
[/quote]

Question: How do you feel about rascally moles?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Where the gently caress is the shovel

I did every quest I could find, even did mini golf and laughed at how pricy that putter is, and yes i too spent a while looking for the top left corner switch

Edit: christ, i bought the special wedge an hour ago, promptly forgot, and never equipped it

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

horchata posted:

can someone explain to me the difference between a focus shot and a normal shot? It's like up on the dpad or something

Focus shots ignore wind and I think slope. There's a full description in one of the menus, "Story" I think?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kaboobi posted:

so is this just a new version of mario golf GBC because if so I'll get it

It's in that vein, yes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beastie posted:

Question: How do you feel about rascally moles?
Yeah, it's got more active course hazards (there are turtles in the second world :kimchi:) but it is definitely along the same lines.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

1) sucked in

2) this game is unpolished as gently caress, like just in the way the camera moves during cutscenes or how story events trigger and whatnot

3) listen to your controller when you throw a ball at someone, the HD rumble makes SOUNDS, like not just rumble sounds but SOUND SOUNDS :staredog:

4) did the second mole challenge to the east. holey moley 2 i think. landed on the green but a mole took my ball. still counted as a win even though the objective was to avoid moles, fuckin lol

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
What am I doing wrong with this feed the fish challenge? Are there particular fish I need to feed because I've hit heaps of balls into different red circles and it's still says I've fed 0 of 10 fish

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

imnotinsane posted:

What am I doing wrong with this feed the fish challenge? Are there particular fish I need to feed because I've hit heaps of balls into different red circles and it's still says I've fed 0 of 10 fish
Don't hit balls. Walk up to the ball-looking plants and hit A when prompted to tee off with those. There's more than ten plants but I don't know what happens if you whiff enough shots that you're out - maybe going back to the world map will respawn them?

What's the red bandana guy want? I haven't seen any apparel or anything else I can get him.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Don't hit balls. Walk up to the ball-looking plants and hit A when prompted to tee off with those. There's more than ten plants but I don't know what happens if you whiff enough shots that you're out - maybe going back to the world map will respawn them?

How did I miss this, thank you!

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the red bandana guy want? I haven't seen any apparel or anything else I can get him.

I think I'm out of plants and they don't seem to respawn....
EDIT: nm I didnt know the lake to the left also had food thingies in it

For the bandana guy theres a pole with the red flag on it near where you hit the kid in the water. Just chuck balls at the pole until the flag drops

horchata fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 29, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can someone explain the skill point thing? It's weird.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Feenix posted:

Can someone explain the skill point thing? It's weird.

It took me a bit and I'm still not 100% on it, but I would do it in this order:
1. Max out accuracy, or at least get it high
2. Play with spin over a few levels, see how much backspin you prefer. I like mine about 75% full. (use backspin to stay on greens, stop on narrow paths, etc)
3. Keep the ability stat high enough you feel your degree control isn't frustratingly useless for getting around a stubborn tree or similar. I keep mine at 50% or so for the time being.
4. Once you get these set, keep them constant as you plow your points into power forever. Make sure to always keep your purity balanced or you'll have a hook or slice

Since you get an odd number of skill points per level, you'll not be able to keep them fully constant. I let my accuracy dip and go up a bit every level, because the other two stats are gonna throw you off if they keep changing too often.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 29, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So how the hell does Disc Golf work? Mini Golf at least uses the same set of mechanics as putting, but I cannot figure out how to reliably throw a disc in any direction other than straight forward.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Save once in a while. Twice I've come across bugs where I've gotten stuck and had to close the game.

Despite that, game good!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Artix posted:

So how the hell does Disc Golf work? Mini Golf at least uses the same set of mechanics as putting, but I cannot figure out how to reliably throw a disc in any direction other than straight forward.

Just move left stick once thrown.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

less than three posted:

Save once in a while. Twice I've come across bugs where I've gotten stuck and had to close the game.

Despite that, game good!

Yeah I got stuck during Mini Golf Hole 4. Thankfully It saved as I went into the Mini Golf place.

Speaking of, I schooled some math nerds in Mini Golf. GOTY.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just want a minimap.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I was watching some early footage and the courses and putting greens were all flat. Does that ever change?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

EightFlyingCars posted:

I was watching some early footage and the courses and putting greens were all flat. Does that ever change?

Yes. There are some quite substantial slopes on later courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

3) listen to your controller when you throw a ball at someone, the HD rumble makes SOUNDS, like not just rumble sounds but SOUND SOUNDS :staredog:

The HD Rumble motors in the joycons aren't the simple unevenly balanced peice of metal attached to a motor that you'd find in your dual shock or Xbox controllers, it's actually a linear resonant actuator—a charge is applied unevenly to an electromagnet hidden in the joycons, which causes it to vibrate back and forth. At low frequencies of vibration, a rumble is felt, and because the amount and frequency of current is controllable, it allows for different and very precise levels of vibration, which Nintendo calls "HD Rumble". If you've got an iPhone 6S or newer, you've got a similar motor in your phone in the "Taptic Engine".

However, a cool hidden "feature" of LRAs is that if they're vibrated quickly enough they start to produce sound! The LRAs in the Steam controller are used to make the tones that sound when the controller is connected or disconnected.

As far as I know, the Golf Story devs appears to be the first studio to intentionally take advantage of the sound producing capabilities of the HD Rumble motors—the HD Rumble in Snake Pass originally made sound, but that's because the devs set the vibration way too high (they probably used the same values from the other console versions, not realizing how differently the joycons' vibration works).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 29, 2017

• Locked thread