Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I learned that even with my "friend" "helping" me tee off I can still out-chip those old sons of bitches any day :argh:

(the absolute best part of the ending was the old lady and her new foster grandson nearly hitting the old man in the head with a drive)

I may not hit them far but I hit them straight! *drive goes horribly off-course*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I mean the pro set is tempting but a bad tree can ruin a hole for me. How many strokes does +15 yds *really* save me?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean the pro set is tempting but a bad tree can ruin a hole for me. How many strokes does +15 yds *really* save me?
But

DISTANCE

(no I definitely should have switched I just appreciated the distance too much)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The best clubs are the skimming woods anyhow don't @ me

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Galf :psyduck: I feel bruised. The best hole for me was a bogey! :cry:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

magimix posted:

Galf :psyduck: I feel bruised. The best hole for me was a bogey! :cry:
Just wait until you get Galf Seasons and Galf Nights

the best part is you can't tell if I'm joking

I'm not

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Figuring out puzzles takes time but the golf is so easy.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Anyone else have trouble with Lads vs Gals first time around?
Coach sucks.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
All the Galf games are contenders for GOTY

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

do you get anything for playing galf?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mace Bacon posted:

All the Galf games are contenders for GOTY

Why? I made one shot, it crashed my game and never tried again.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Kaubocks posted:

do you get anything for playing galf?

The satisfaction of playing the greatest game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there a way to use the long driver on regular events? I thought it unlocked after the long drive competition but I can't figure out how to switch to it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is there a way to use the long driver on regular events? I thought it unlocked after the long drive competition but I can't figure out how to switch to it.

I don't believe you ever use it again after the competition. Stupid, I know.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I thought that's what Dad's glove does?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I just got that after I posted before I went to bed, but haven't played any holes yet. Also last night for the first time I noticed you had a precision shot you could slow down the meter with.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

I thought that's what Dad's glove does?

Dad's glove just lets you switch to power mode which gives you an extra 20 yards or so, it seems.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I just got that after I posted before I went to bed, but haven't played any holes yet. Also last night for the first time I noticed you had a precision shot you could slow down the meter with.

You mean focus mode? I think it also ignores wind.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat, I got the glitch where your character Sprite is tiny and there's no way to progress the game. So I'm not going to play any more of this until they patch it, cause I'm definitely not starting from scratch.

Once you get membership to Tidy Pines, do NOT save and quit at the party.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

what's the loving deal with this stupid makeshift golf course rear end in a top hat in oak manor?? why is this so god damned hard???

i swear i am golfing this as perfectly as i can and always coming in one stroke short, this sucks rear end

aerether
Nov 3, 2008
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

what's the loving deal with this stupid makeshift golf course rear end in a top hat in oak manor?? why is this so god damned hard???

i swear i am golfing this as perfectly as i can and always coming in one stroke short, this sucks rear end

Few things I took away from doing those courses:

* These courses are pretty bullshit
* As much as possible, go for aggressive, long distance chip-ins. Try to hit the base of the flagpoles whenever possible to immediately arrest the ball's momentum, if not sink it outright. With a modest drive stat you can do some of the holes in one/two strokes.
* Since the holes are overall not very long distance-wise, aim for rough/bunkers if you're worried about hazards/positioning for future shots. In fact, since you don't get penalties IIRC, you can just hit into water and let the ball position reset to the closest landmass.
* Don't forget about shaping your shots, it might help to follow the curve of certain holes as well as avoid obstacles
* If you know you're gonna approach the hole during your shot and are worried about bouncing right past it, apply backspin and give the ball lots of loft.
* You can make some shots a little out of your reach if you exploit wind. I like Dynamo woods/digging wedge for this reason.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaubocks posted:

Oak Manor is the haunted level, right? That's the worst of them - the two remaining after that I did both of in like, half the attempts it took me to do that one.

Use the ghost NPC for an easy chip in on that hole. Hit into water when possible - your ball will end up at the last bit of land it went over and you don't get a penalty stroke. Beyond that, uh, good luck. Try to save strokes early so you have margin for error on the last two, I needed it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oak Manor is the haunted level, right? That's the worst of them - the two remaining after that I did both of in like, half the attempts it took me to do that one.

yeah, that's the one. managed to pull it off this morning but holy loly this one is just above and beyond harder than all the rest. i swear all the ones leading up to this i beat in one MAYBE two tries, this one took at least a dozen if not more

ended up switching my skimming woods to dynamo woods going by aerether's post. it made the hole with the ghost a little tougher because normally i was skipping the ball off the water close to the hole but i managed to sink the chip from the other side of the river. the extra 5 or so yards from the dynamo helped me squeeze an extra stroke somewhere and i ended up beating it with not a single swing to spare

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I keep coming up like 2 inches short on the old man's putting challenge at the country club Tidy Greens(?)

You have to go from tee box to sinking it in six putts.

I'm holding the trigger to give the ball some extra roll, accounting for wind, and pretty much maxing the power on each stroke.

Every time the ball stops just shy of dropping. What am I missing?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You can't "pretty much" max it, you really have to max it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beastie posted:

I keep coming up like 2 inches short on the old man's putting challenge at the country club Tidy Greens(?)

I'm holding the trigger to give the ball some extra roll, accounting for wind, and pretty much maxing the power on each stroke.

I don't think wind affects putting, just slope. But I assume that's what you meant. I didn't have issues and I know that's not helpful - maxing the power should do it?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So I really need to just 100% it on all six shots? I've been trying that and I'll get 96% (roughly)

Guess I need to git gud.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least the first five

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Beastie posted:

One of the triggers generally assigned to approach shots seriously increases the distance you can putt

Aside from that, idk, try to stay on the fairway as much as possible.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I don't know if it's just so obvious we're not bothering to mentioning it, but there are sections of the grass there- the bits that look like fairway but are browner?- that are of the "Fast2" type. The ball rolls much faster on these sections and you can do it in five putts easy if you line your shots up right (the whirly putter helps).

99% certain wind doesn't effect putting at all.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i hate the whirly putter so much, it's so sensitive, i can never line up a shot with it

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

One of the triggers generally assigned to approach shots seriously increases the distance you can putt

Aside from that, idk, try to stay on the fairway as much as possible.

Yeah I've been using that. I'll give it a shot during lunch. I guess I need to try harder.

Game is good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you think that putting challenge is hard, wait till to get to the Blue Dunes one

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

My inability to figure out the loving putting meter tanks my par everytime. I just do not get how putting works :(

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

My inability to figure out the loving putting meter tanks my par everytime. I just do not get how putting works :(

Never not be chipping

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Here's how to best putt. Press up to switch to your wedge and chip it in.

(Though to better measure putting distance press y for precision mode and adjust it down to just past the hole)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

DLC Inc posted:

What specifically are your issues? Some good rules of thumb:

1: Overshooting a little bit generally isn't a bad idea, but only a little because if you put too much spice on it, it'll jump the hole

2: Even a slight slope should change your target speed. Slight slope away/towards you: modify your strength by 25% in either direction. Medium slope away/towards you: modify strength by 50%. Slope perpendicular to your shot: modify speed upwards (slope will have less impact) or significantly modify your angle left/right depending. These are the hardest shots to make.

3: If you're right by the hole, just give it two quick taps. If there is no "green", then the flag won't go away. In these cases, you want to be as fast as physically possible on taking the shot. If you do it right, it'll drop every time. If not, it'll bounce off the flag and you'll rage.

4: If you're starting from fairway or for the rough, give it way more power than it looks like you need. The length indicator IS NOT accurate in these cases. Treat it like you're putting up a significant slope.

and finally, if the shot is too crazy consider just chipping instead.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I just aim for bunkers or rough and chip it from there. If you land on the green you can't use the flagpole as a backboard.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dr Cheeto posted:

I just aim for bunkers or rough and chip it from there. If you land on the green you can't use the flagpole as a backboard.

Personally I think putting is easier than chipping. If you're trying to nail the flag with a chip you have to perfectly account for wind because if the wind pulls you off course (or you just mess up your shot) you're guaranteed to have to burn another stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Honestly I'm better at accounting for wind than I am accounting for green. There's always the focus shot if you're desperate to save a stroke, too.

• Locked thread