Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's probably just broken down by sku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
poo poo, gamers got cash. I guess I should just be thankful they are subsidizing my FLOPS.

It's too bad that so many people think GPU compute == Bitcoin hashes. Hashing is a really boring/trivial parallel problem, and it's actually really fun to do complex data parallel programming.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
we do that in games too, we just have different constraints

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/aaltonenhaar_siggraph2015_combined_final_footer_220dpi.pdf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LinYutang posted:

are people really trying to do compute on phones though

only goofus is

gallant is developing and training his models on a real compute cluster, and just deploying pre-baked and optimized models on phones

(CoreML is cool)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i'm still learning cuda, and last week i hit an issue making the cuda driver api and the cuda runtime api play nice together. cudart will take the current thread's context as its own if you grab one before you start making cudart calls, so i did that. and cudart started throwing incompatibility errors. turns out on older cards, the context versions are too low to support cudart. so you have to use the card's primary context instead. i'm assuming every card only has one primary context and it can't be shared between cpu threads since cuda's docs say you need to return it when done, so is this why people have trouble running more than one program per gpgpu?

do these problems exist in opencl?

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
OpenCL backends may suck to various degrees, but they're generally better at multithreading/state management. This is because everything is explicit and very verbose in the OpenCL API. This sucks a bit (a lot) when you're just writing code yourself, but is quite nice when you're generating code, or writing a library, because there will be no hidden state.

I don't know if older NVIDIA cards have weird rules that say you can only have one OpenCL context at a time, but I don't think so. I have certainly been running with dozens of active OpenCL contexts on a GTX780 GPU. You may need to create a distinct command queue for every thread, but that's no big deal - it mostly means that synchronisation is your own out-of-band problem.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what I need to know is when will vrml be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s back already but it’s implemented entirely in JavaScript and requires several GB of RAM just to launch

• Locked thread