Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

It's December 31, 1999.

The Nokia 3110 can send up to 160 characters in a single text. Britney Spears is on every radio station. Days before, Boy George narrowly survived a 62 pound disco ball falling on him during rehearsal. The Dreamcast has been out two months. Bruce Willis was dead the whole movie. All the wars are a world away, and the US Government has just spent $134billion preparing for the Y2K bug.

-

Bobby's Y2K Bugout Party was meant to be a joke, a light hearted new year's eve bash with a few old friends at his place a half our out of Rapid City. He didn't really believe anything was going to happen. He wasn't like some of the other nutbar survivalist types that lived out near the Black Hills, hoarding canned food, ammunition and iodine tablets. Old Bobby had mellowed these days, a lot. From Gulf War hardass to Pennington Country sheriff's deputy, a bad incident a few years back had turned him gentle. A death heavy on his conscience, and a back ache he said was only helped by medicinal marijuana, he'd gone half hippy after that, living up in the South Dakota hills on a quiet farm, breeding alpacas for their fur and tending a few greenhouses.

It was a small party. Bobby's ex-wife Marla had come up from Kentucky. They'd met at Fort Campbell when they were both in the army, and they still got along. She'd brought her grown up daughter Sally Rose, from her marriage before that. There was Sota, his farmhand, a Sioux man who'd grown up on the reservation. And you, his old friends. Maybe you knew him from his army days, or his outlaw youth, or maybe you only ever knew the new Bobby. Anyhow, you were a world away from crowded Times Square where people stood for hours to guard their spot, slyly pissing in a bottle hid in their coat so they wouldn't miss the ball dropping. It was peaceful as the grave out in those hills. You remember it was just a couple minutes to midnight, and out in Bobby's yard, miles away from the glaring lights of Rapid City, the sky looked packed with stars. It was a mild night. The snow had held off for the past few days. And the campfire was getting low now but a few thick logs of ponderosa pine helped to stave off the Dakota winter winds.

"Well god drat. Look at that, a shooting star..." Sota said, tracing his pointer finger across the night sky.

"Two," Bobby observed as he puffed on a small joint, spotting a second trail of light. "Aw heck. Three actually."

"Holy poo poo there's more like 10." Marla's daughter Sally stood up out of her camp chair. It was the most animated she'd been this whole trip, besides complaining about how much warmer the weather was back in Kentucky. "Or 20. There's fucken 20 of them. Is that normal?"

"Nah that... actually that ain't normal. They're not breaking up..." Bobby murmured, watching as the lights in the sky slowed down and carved a lazy arc downwards towards the earth. Some of them looked real close as they disappeared behind the treeline.

"That one can't've been more 'n a mile outta Fairburn," Marla said, her smoker's voice kept real low like the stars might overhear.

"Ten! Nine! Eight!" The cheesy Garth Brooks song on the radio was interrupted by the announcer as the count down started. "Five, four, three, two-"

Before the countdown could hit one, the electrical transformer mounted on the corner of the farmhouse gave out a loud crack and spat out a shower of sparks. Bobby gave a Gulf War Syndrome-kinda wince. Over in their stables, the alpacas bleated disapproval. The white sparks fell to the ground and petered out, and then the only light for miles around was the red glowing logs of the camp fire. Bobby reached into the top pocket of his flannel shirt and pulled out a keyring.

"Sota, gimme a hand a minute gettin the generator runnin," he said, grunting with a tinge of back pain as he hefted himself out of the low chair. "Got a couple cans of gas in the barn." The burly farmhand looked reluctantly into the forty or so yards of dark between the campfire and the rickety old barn.

"It'll only take a minute," Bobby said, leading the way into the inky black. "We'll be right back."

-

Hi welcome to my AFMBE play by post.
Make characters with 20 points in Attributes, 5 in qualities (and up to 10 points from drawbacks) and 30 skill points. You're a cut above norms, but not quite survivors yet.
Grab some reasonable gear for a weekend getaway, tell us a little bit about your character, and post a pic.

It's my first time running this system, and it will need some patches over its janks for pbp (like for the initiative system, I'll be using the 1d10+dex system most of the time instead of the declaration system, so as to not slow things down) and that fear system will probably be getting a rework to include fewer "you lose all your actions" options, but any questions/thoughts about rules or character stuff, let me know.

Also, here's a sheet template with all those 1990s calculations to figure out secondary stats already included :cool:

code:
Str:    Dex:    Con:    
Int:    Per:    Wil:    

Life points: ((Con+Str)x4)+10
Endurance points: ((Con+Str+Wil)x3)+5
Speed: (Con+Dex)x2
Essence: Add all primary attributes

Qualities/Drawbacks:

Skills:

Gear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'll be making something for this, possibly a construction worker.

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 1, 2017

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Rudy Anderson

Part I. What do other people have to say about him?
"Rudy's a pretty simple guy to describe. He's not American, you can tell from the accent -- Eastern Canadian, from one of those islands or whatever. Nice guy, obviously, though he's presumably never fired a gun in his life. He's apparently some bigshot union leader north of the border, knows all the movers and shakers, gets poo poo done for his people. Gotta' respect that. Helicopter pilot, too, if you'd believe it. Don't know if he served or not, but he's got the look of a guy who has seen some poo poo. Whatever it is, he seems to be dealing with it well enough. Not one of those PTSD-types, or whatever. He can be quiet when he's focused ...or listening ...or drinking, but he's got some good fuckin' stories if you get him talking." -- some rear end in a top hat

Part II. The Early Years ("profession: paramedic")
Rudy put himself through school working nights as a paramedic in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He spent a year riding in the back of the ambulance before he graduated to driving the bus. Eventually the bus became a medical chopper, but it was more or less the same deal. Working in EMS, you see some poo poo. You either get used to it, or you burn out. Rudy was the former, for better or worse. Night shift was predictable, if nothing else. Sure, you got the occasional gang-related shooting or bar fight that spiraled out of hand, but that was the exception rather than the norm -- at least in Canada. In truth, most of his work related to car accidents, drownings, heart attacks, and youthful misadventure. You can't sugarcoat the job, though. Dismembered limbs, headless corpses, the aftermath of a rampaging moose attack? Seeing that sort of thing on a regular basis will do serious damage to your mental health if you aren't careful. On the bright side, driving an ambulance for a living forces you to develop quick reflexes and the ability to make snap decisions -- after all, lives are literally on the line every day.
pre:
[2/5]  Quality:  Fast reaction time (2-point mental quality)
[3/5]  Quality:  Nerves of steel (3-point mental quality)
[9/30]  Skills:  First Aid (1), Notice (5), Questioning (1), Driving (1), Piloting (1)
Part III. Proud to be a Union Man ("profession: union representative")
Rudy eventually got fed up with his job. It was hard enough dealing with dead bodies and bodily fluids every day of the week, but once you add in year after year of cutbacks on government spending, rising benefit costs, perpetual staffing shortages, a lack of skilled labor, and a growing tension in the relationship between paramedics, three levels of government, the hospitals you service, and the public at large, something's got to give. In this case, it was Rudy. One day, about six years ago, he gave his last gently caress.

Long story short, Rudy's perfectly comfortable being an rear end in a top hat to people. Deciding he'd rather lose his job than continue working at one that made him want to kill himself, he angled for a position as a union representative. He's been giving people hell ever since, fighting to reduce the stigma of mental health issues, increase benefits, improve efficiency in 'the system', offer competitive wages, and generally make life less lovely for the people still doing his old job. To everyone's surprise (including his own), he's actually pretty good at this, and by some miracle he hasn't been fired for his constant stream of belligerence generally directed towards those in positions of power. There's a certain kind of freedom you develop when you start doing a job without caring whether you're able to keep it. You start telling people how it is, and acting based on what you feel is right, rather than what makes political or economic sense in the more typical, selfish sort of way. Rudy's actually found it rather calming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTafZRecy2k
pre:
[8/30]   Skills: Bureaucracy (1), Haggling (1), Intimidation (1), Smooth talking (5)
Part IV. Stress Leave
You normally wouldn't accuse a rural Nova Scotian of being the most politically savvy person on the planet, but Rudy has his moments. After fighting tooth and nail for improved mental health treatment options for his union members for the better part of a decade, and finally scoring a win, Rudy decided to practice what he preaches. Part of it was just leadership propaganda -- you can't reduce the stigma of mental illness if you're a leader who never acknowledges his own need to heal, after all. Part of it was that he'd just had enough of all the bullshit, and wanted some time to himself. Frankly, an extended stress leave fit the bill pretty nicely. All that 'end of the world' poo poo in the news didn't help, if he was being honest, though he wouldn't point to that as a real motivation. He wasn't an expert, but he knew enough about electronics and computers to know media hype and flat out bullshit when he heard it.

As a result, Rudy's been on a combination of vacation and stress leave for seven months now. Frankly, he didn't plan it out particularly well, and he's been a ...little bit... indulgent with his travels. Which is to say, his bank account is running a little low, and a part of him hopes this Y2K thing does fry all the financial records so that he doesn't have to pay his bills when next month's credit card statement comes due.
pre:
[6/10] Drawback: Resources (poor)
Part V. All Work and No Play Makes Rudy a...?
Rudy mostly keeps to himself, but he's known to a few of his neighbors as a bit of a jack of all trades. He got in good with Bobby about a month back, helped him rig up his new satellite dish. Guess that's why he got invited to the end-of-the-world party? Guy's a bit of a nerd, if we're being honest. Knows a bunch of stuff about computers and electronics, and knows how to find out what he doesn't know. Nice guy to have around in a pinch, I guess.
pre:
[5/30]   Skills: Craft (1), Computers (1), Electronics (1), Mechanic (1), Research/Investigation (1)
Part VI. Season 6. Bitch.
That's what people in the area can piece together about his past, anyway. Fact is, Rudy's been in town for a few months, and he's been renting a secluded cabin on the edge of town. He tells people that he 'likes the quiet' and that this has been a 'good vacation', and that his stress leave has 'really helped him put things into perspective'. Is it that simple? Maybe. Is there more to it? Maybe.
pre:
[1/10] Drawback: Covetous (fame and renown)
[1/10] Drawback: Covetous (money and wealth)
[2/10] Drawback: Secret
[7/30]   Skills: Humanities (1), Instruction (1), Science (5)
[1/30]    Other: Specialization in chemistry (1)
Inventory
[$ 75] Backpack: A simple, waterproof, multi-compartment sack attached on a metal alloy frame. Depending on size, they can hold up between 15 and 70 pounds (25 to 100 kilograms) of supplies and other miscellaneous gear.
[$ 50] Sleeping Bag: A good quality sleeping bag is made of composite and polymer, and folds down to a handy packet size. Modern sleeping bags can protect against both heat and cold.
[$150] Flashlight: A large, waterproof, industrial strength flashlight with a range of roughly 50 yards (meters).
[$ 20] Multitool: This common, multi-purpose tool has pliers, saw, knife, etc. It may be used as a small knife.
[$100] First Aid Kit: The small kit is used to administer first aid, including bandages, antibiotics, and burn salves. Using First Aid without a kit incurs a -2 penalty. The kit contains enough supplies for six uses.
[$105] Cash

pre:
Summary:
[ 5/ 5] Qualities: Fast reaction time		(2-point mental quality)
		   Nerves of steel		(3-point mental quality)

[10/10] Drawbacks: Resources -- poor		(6-point social drawback)
		   Covetous -- fame and renown	(1-point mental drawback)
		   Covetous -- money and wealth	(1-point mental drawback)
		   Secret			(2-point social drawback)

[30/30] Skills:
[ 4/30] +1 (paramedic):	First Aid / Questioning / Driving / Piloting
[ 5/30] +5 (paramedic):	Notice
[ 3/30] +1 (union man):	Bureaucracy / Haggling / Intimidation
[ 5/30] +5 (union man):	Smooth talking
[ 5/30] +1 (hobbies):	Craft / Computers / Electronics / Mechanic / Research and Investigation
[ 2/30] +1 (history):	Humanities / Instruction
[ 5/30] +5 (history):	Science
[ 1/30] +7 (history):	Science (chemistry)

Inventory:
[$ 75] Backpack
[$ 50] Sleeping Bag
[$150] Flashlight
[$ 20] Multitool
[$100] First Aid Kit
[$105] Cash

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 8, 2017

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009

Piell posted:

I'll be making something for this, possibly a construction worker.

Yey :dance:

Waador: Looks like it'll fit in well. I think I've set up a discord properly? https://discord.gg/Q73unrt
Or just post here (cause frankly, this thread could use a few bumps :goleft: )

Anyone else want to make a zombie fightin person/zombo food?

children overboard fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 5, 2017

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

children overboard posted:

Or just post here (cause frankly, this thread could use a few bumps :goleft: )
How do you want to do skill specialties? Do we do it the default way in the book, which basically has two steps of:
1. Buy basic skill of Guns (handguns) and Humanities (law)
2. Buy specialty of Guns (handguns) [Glock 19] and Humanities (law) [corporate law]?

Or do we want a less granular system with fewer skills where some of those get collapsed and the original sub-types become specialties? Essentially where the steps would instead be:
1. Buy basic skill of Guns and Humanities.
2. Buy specialty of Guns (handguns) and Humanities (law).

It looks like the base game has 65 skills before sub-types are taken into account, let alone specialties, so collapsing some of those into one bucket might not be the worst idea. The book seems to suggest this might happen when it says things like "In some games, the Zombie Master may just lump them all into one category, depending on how big a role such skills would play in the course of a Story."

Probably not a big deal either way, but figured I'd ask before someone applied with 15 skill points spent on five different kinds of guns when they could've gotten by with 5 points in Guns in general, or 2 points in guns and 3 specialties. A few good candidates for this collapse seems to be:

> Computers + Computer Hacking + Computer Programming -- I can see how these are separate skills in reality but not sure it makes sense that you could be +1 at computers and +8 at hacking? Or zero points in computers and ten in hacking if it strikes you as a good idea.

> All of the (type) skills. Craft (type), Dancing (type), Driving (type), Engineer (type), Fine Arts (type), Guns (type), Hand weapon (type), Humanities (type), Lock picking (type), Myth and legend (type), Play instrument (type), Riding (type), Science (type), Sport (type), Survival (type), Throwing (type), Writing (type), and so on.

I can see individual ones making more sense than others as separate skills (i.e. a structural engineer versus a mechanical engineer, or a jet fighter pilot versus a space shuttle pilot), but for a bunch of these it feels like base competency in things like driving would probably extend, more or less, across a broader range of vehicles than just 'car' or 'motorcycle', such that those are really just specialties you might choose to have.

I don't know, it might not really matter I suppose, it's more that the skill list is large enough already such that there already isn't that much room or incentive to grab specialties, whereas something like a skill point spent on Guns (handgun) or Survival (cold weather) still gets you a base competency worth having and a reasonable perk for the thing you plan to use without wasting a bunch of skill points on eight different flavors of the same skill, when knowledge should more or less translate from one field to another to some degree. Thoughts?

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
I'd say leave Guns and Hand Weapon as skills that have Types (both those have a provision to use other types at -2, which is actually probably a good houserule to apply across all skills with types). But jeez, yeah, roll them skills like Humanities and Computers in together.

Any other people thinking of making a character?? I wanna play zombos :zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::eek::eek::eek::eek::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie::zombie:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was considering but I've never played this before. I'm super slow at work though January so a PBP would work....

Do you want a novice? I have some exeperience with Warhammer RPGs. (was part of the scrunt game)

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
New is welcome! The system's pretty straightforward and the character creation isn't too opaque (and if you decide you wanna respec something later once you know the rules better that's fine of course :cool: ). And if you remember 1999 then you're already familiar with the setting! :toot:

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

I was considering but I've never played this before. I'm super slow at work though January so a PBP would work....

Do you want a novice? I have some exeperience with Warhammer RPGs. (was part of the scrunt game)

The system actually seems really simple (and if it makes you feel better, I haven't played it before either). How things seem to work is, for basically everything except dealing damage, you roll 1d10 + Attribute Bonus + Skill Bonus +/- Circumstance Modifier (as assigned by the DM). If you roll 9 or above you succeed, if you roll much higher you get additional degrees of success but good is still good. Once you get over the hurdle of character generation and picking attributes and skills and such it seems like it'll run pretty smoothly.

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dave comes from a long line of rednecks. He also has a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, but he doesn't usually mention that to the tourists that his "genuine hand-crafted by hill folk" wooden sculptures are sold to. If they prefer to imagine him as an dumb lumberjack, well, he'll play the part long enough to get their money out of them, and it's not like it's doing anyone any harm. Dave makes a great friend and a terrible enemy, though he hasn't had to fight in years - few people are dumb enough to go after someone closer to seven feet than six, after all.

pre:
Name: Dave Lawson
Str: 5   Dex: 5   Con: 5 
Int: 3   Per: 3   Wil: 2  

Life points: 54
Endurance points: 41
Speed: 20
Essence: 23

Qualities: [11]
Bought Intelligence to 3, from 1
Bought Willpower to 2, from 1
Resistance (Fatigue) 1
Nerves of Steel

Drawbacks: [7]
Honorable 1
Low Resources 1
Low Attractiveness 1
Insomina 

Skills:
Brawling 1
Craft 5
Dodge 5
Guns (Shotguns) 1
Hand Weapon (Axe) 5
Notice  4
Repair 5
Stealth  4
Survival 1

Gear:
Camping gear
Multitool
Wood Axe
Hatchet (as Tomahawk - D6*Strength damage)
Shotgun with one box of buckshot
Old Pickup 
Experience: 2

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 11, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Annemarie De Lang

Annemarie De Lang owns the ranch next door, about 8 miles up the road.

She keeps to herself mostly, like many of the people around these parts. After all, tending to a herd of cattle keeps her busy, although a few hands do come by the property regularly to help out.

Ms. De Lang moved in about 7 years ago, and she's been rather tight lipped about her past. The rumor is she came in from the west coast, something about a bad divorce, abusive husband, substance abuse. Who really knows though?

These days, she supports herself wrangling cows, and that was enough for most folks here. Although, she never did say where she got the money for that herd.

CourValant fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 15, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God, I haven't played AFMBE in like ten years.

How long do we have to get an app together?

Micheal Stevenson
Mick

Mick doesn't quite fit in with all the other folks at the party. He's closer to Sally's age than Bobby's, he grew up in Austin, listens to Eminem, and the only reason he even owns a gun is because somebody finally sat him down and made him watch a real Bond movie. So what's he doing out in the middle of South Dakota? The short version involves a girl and some bad decisions. The long version is just that, but with a lot of drinking and cursing in between. These days, he's got a different sort of niche in the community.

To not put too fine a point on it, he's Bobby's dealer.

Turns out you can learn something useful out in the city after all, and Mick's used it to make himself into a clever little entrepreneur. Course, there's always folks who're trying to stick their noses in and get him busted, but when you're on a first-name basis with all the local cops... well, the ones who don't like one kind of green can still be convinced with the other. Aren't really many problems that can't be solved by some combination of smoking somebody out and buying somebody off. Life's real simple when you're willing to look at it that way. Real simple.

quote:

Str: 2 Dex: 4 Con: 3
Int: 5 Per: 3 Wil: 4

Life: 30/30
Endurance: 32/32
Speed: 12
Essence: 20/20

=Qualities [10]=
Acute Senses (Smell)
Charisma +2
Dexterity 3 -> 4
Good Luck +1
Resources +1 (Middle Class)

=Drawbacks [5]=
Addiction (Marijuana, Heavy)
Clown
Lazy

=Skills [30]=
Craft (Drug Paraphernalia) 3
Craft (Soap) 1
Dodge 2
Farming (Marijuana) 3
Guns (Pistols) 2
Haggling 3
Intimidation 2
Knowledge (Cinema) 2
Notice 1
Play Instrument (Guitar) 2
Questioning 3
Smooth Talking 4
Streetwise 2

=Gear=
Acoustic Guitar
Glass "Tobacco Pipe"
Marijuana (2 oz)
Portable CD Player (Custom mix of Bob Marley, Eminem, and Carlos Santana)
Rolling Papers
Walther PPK (.380 ACP, 7 round clip)
- Box of .380 ACP Ammo (50)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 12, 2017

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Link to the discord chat that won't expire

CourValant If you join the discord chat I can help you make a character tonight or if I'm not too busy at work

Edit: Also a link to an Unisystem character generator that includes AFMBE

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 5, 2017

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
^^ Thanks Piell!

Courvalant, the system's pretty easy to pick up. The game didn't get a quickstart book, but if you dig up a copy or pdf of the book it shouldn't take too long to nut out the rules (you could skip over the interchapter fiction except it's ACTUALLY good in this book!). Hostile V also has this good Fatal & Friends write up on the system as a bit of a primer:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962&userid=201085&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post465925284
Anyway character concept sounds good!

Piell posted:

Name: Dave Lawson

Assumptions: Throwing, Driving, and Craft are combined down to a single skill, I took Repair from One of the Living

That character looks like a good fit and those assumptions about mushing skills together sound sensible and good.

PMush Perfect posted:

Mick

To not put too fine a point on it, he's Bobby's dealer.

Perfect! :haw:

I hadn't thought of a hard deadline to get sheets done, since a couple people are new to this. I'd like to start Sunday if that gives our two new-to-AFMBE people time to read the book and stitch together a character (and remember if you balls it up and regret making a character with 6 ranks in Dancing and Beautician and wanna respec after we start playing I am cool with that).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, rereading the book, I'll probably be making the party face with a minor in pistols.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm rollign a former soldier possibly with PTSD who will be the groups gun nut after a discussion in discord

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Piell posted:

Link to the discord chat that won't expire

CourValant If you join the discord chat I can help you make a character tonight or if I'm not too busy at work

Edit: Also a link to an Unisystem character generator that includes AFMBE

^^ Thanks Piell!

Courvalant, the system's pretty easy to pick up. The game didn't get a quickstart book, but if you dig up a copy or pdf of the book it shouldn't take too long to nut out the rules (you could skip over the interchapter fiction except it's ACTUALLY good in this book!). Hostile V also has this good Fatal & Friends write up on the system as a bit of a primer:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758962&userid=201085&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post465925284

Anyway character concept sounds good!

Thanks!

Let me do some reading and throw some numbers together, then I can get on discord and you folks can walk me through the rest.

My biggest question right now is putting skills together; I need a description listing of what each skill does, what those 'drawbacks' are, and how to select a bunch of skills that makes sense for this character (also, not quite sure what skill 'groups' are, someone mentioned firearms groups or something?)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

CourValant posted:

Thanks!

Let me do some reading and throw some numbers together, then I can get on discord and you folks can walk me through the rest.

My biggest question right now is putting skills together; I need a description listing of what each skill does, what those 'drawbacks' are, and how to select a bunch of skills that makes sense for this character (also, not quite sure what skill 'groups' are, someone mentioned firearms groups or something?)

I have a handy pdf i can link you in discord....

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Waroduce posted:

I have a handy pdf i can link you in discord....

Cool, let me get on the Discord when I get home tonight, really appreciate everyone's support!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sargent Major Mike"Red" Vinning

He was startled by the knock on his door. No one visited his cabin on the edge of town. There was not a person alive who knew where to find him, apart from Bob, who he went to basic with. Invited him to a camping party but social poo poo like that wasn't really his thing. He didn’t want to make any friends, and the only reason he and Bobby got along was because they went through basic together at a real young age. He didn't want anyone else to know where he lived, especially the Army. It had to be the Army, no one else would refer to him as Sargent Major, and whoever was out there was pounding on his door, “Sergeant Major, open the door”. Sergeant Major was not really a Sergeant Major. He had been a Buck Sergeant. People had called him Sergeant Major because that had been his rank before they busted him down to buck sergeant and kicked him out of the Army. The reason for his demotion was officially recorded as “conduct unbecoming to a senior NCO”. The real reason was never written down. A number of ranking officers had wanted to throw him into jail, but the CIA told them that the resulting investigation or his disappearance would be embarrassing for everyone, a hit to morale and not in the interest of the Army. Sergeant Major agreed to accept the demotion quietly. It was a formality that cut his pay check, but it hadn’t really mattered.

Right after he got out on a “specially arranged early retirement”, he had walked off the plane in what he termed his fancy uniform, the ones with all the patches and medals. He wore them because he was still technically enlisted until landing stateside, and regulations required while a passenger on civilian transport that “all unit and award insignia will be properly displayed for morale purposes”. Sergeant Major referred to the patches and wings, all the arrows, daggers and stars, as trash because his friends had all had them and they were not interested in impressing anyone. Sergeant Major was uncomfortable wearing them, because they attracted attention, and he had spent a long time learning to not attract attention.

He burned his uniform the second he was off base and bought a one-way bus ticket to nowhere. On the outside, everything seemed right. He was ok for a little, but he shook and cried. He hadn’t had an entire night’s sleep since he left the Army…he woke up sweating, and the slightest noise would rouse him. There were times he cried himself to sleep. He had to be by himself, no one else understood –no one. He stayed on that bus as far as it would take him and began hitchhiking on any car or rig that would take him. He worked for drug dealers, contracted with shipping companies, provided security to private interests and snuck on board civilian transports; getting stoned and drunk, trying to forget, trying to get lost. He had to dull the pain; he had nothing in common with the average person. When he finally settled down it was in a cabin on the outside of some little po-dunk town. He ran into Bobby in a bar, miracle of miracles, small world and all that bullshit...Bobby was kind enough to direct him to an abandoned cabin on the outside of town. Spent some time fixing it up and kept to himself. Some kids had given him trouble, but no one messed with him after the first time they saw his knife work. He always carried in his hip pocket a flat, lock blade knife. The first three inches of the blade could shave the hair off the back of his hand and lift a powder of dry skin. The last two inches were dull, so he could pop the blade open with his thumb. He’d learn that from a Navy guy somewhere…some shithole post off the coast of Africa… yeah, right before that debacle in Mogadishu…it was Mogadishu…. guy had called it an African boxing glove. He picked up a job bouncing at a local bar after that, and was content to live his life out in a drunken stupor. Didn’t pay as well, but he wasn’t after the money.

When the Army came to his door, he froze up, and he never froze. He walked point for two decades unknown in the nastiest warzones these United States had ever seen. He never froze, but all those Army people outside the cabin did was bring back bad thoughts, thoughts he had tried so hard to forget. He looked about 35, he wasn’t sure how far he was from his birthdate after spending so much time guessing at the date from the bottle he drank. He didn’t give a drat and it didn’t really matter did it? He was young when he joined the Army, real young. He had been traveling with the Army from base to base all his life. He lied and went through training when he was fifteen,and being a dumbass snot nosed kid.... looked up to Bobby and joined an infantry company shortly after. He tired quickly of the order and yes sir, no sir, and volunteered for a special assignment and left Bobby behind.... than he volunteered for a special unit, and then he kept on not dying, and kept on volunteering. He was out now, forgotten, or so he thought, the record of his time served said it was a reconnaissance unit and nothing else, attached to normal infantry. It didn’t appear in any of the official books. His personal file had a list of medals pages long, but no after-action reports, no locations, and no dates. The guys he’d gone to war with were nowhere but his memory, long dead, sacrifices unremembered by an uncaring populace and impersonal Army. Forgotten by all, alive only in his memory. Kano charged a well concealed heavy bolter emplacement Sargent Major failed to spot, one of only two times he’d walked his element into trouble in long years walking point. Training accident, they said, his wife and kids didn’t get a loving thing because well….they weren’t officially deployed and weren’t officially supposed to be where they were. Felix died for that loving green, babyass butterball Lieutenant, a good soldier sent to death by stupid orders from on high.

Can’t trust anyone.

He let the man in and stood across from him as he started talking about something in the sky the government was tracking.... He decided he had been out and didn’t want to get back in while this sorry son of a bitch was talking and excused himself to the restroom. He didn’t know what he gently caress was going on but he was getting out of dodge while the getting was good….too bad this jackass was in the cabin….he walked down the hall and grabbed his go-bag as he passed a cabinet and went into the bathroom. Shame he’d only be able to take his bag and what he had on him….shame about leaving all the equipment and weapons he’d smuggled back into the states over the years. Still, he’d done more with less than what was on him….poo poo with a lock pick, first aid kit, pistol, knife and a box or two of ammo, a man could always acquire anything else he needed. Locking the door, he opened a window and hopped right out. Grabbing the rifle off the back porch, he started running for the tree line and decided not to stop for a while, figured he'd drop in on Bobby's party and hide out in the woods for a bit. Lucky he ran into Bobby at the liquor store a few days ago.

Can’t trust anyone, don't want any part of this poo poo.

He found the campsite party and sat in the trees until he spotted Bobby and walked on down to re-introduce himself.

code:
Str: 3    Dex: 5    Con: 4    Int: 2    Per: 4    Will:  2  

Life points: 38 (+6) = 44
Endurance points: 32
Speed: 18
Essence: 20

Drawbacks:
Paranoid - 2pt Mental Drawback

Humorless - 1pt Mental Drawback

Recurring Nightmares - 1pt Mental Drawback
Every night, the Zombie Master may check to see if the character suffers from the
nightmare. This may be done at the Zombie Master’s discretion, or may be rolled randomly
(a roll of 1 on a D10 means the character experiences a nightmare that night). On any night
 when the character is afflicted by the nightmare, he loses D4(2) Endurance Points as the 
result of his inability to go back to sleep.

Qualities
Nerves of Steel - 3pts - 
(The character must make Fear Tests (see Getting Scared,p. 96) only when
 confronted with the strangest supernatural manifestations, and gains a +4 bonus to his
roll even then.)

Fast Reaction Times - 2pts  -
(characters with this Quality can act first without needing to check for initiative, 
restricted by common sense)

Situational Awareness - 2pts - 
(These characters gain a +2 bonus to any Perception-based rolls to sense
 trouble or danger in the immediate surroundings. It is very hard to sneak up on them;
 the same bonus applies to resist any Stealth Tasks to approach them)

Hard to Kill - Level 2 - 2pts
Each level of Hard to Kill Adds 3 Life Points to the character’s Pool.
Additionally, each level adds a +1 bonus to Survival Tests

Skills:
Name	                            Cost
Brawling 	                     2
Demolitions	                     2
Dodge	                             4
Guns (Rifle)                         5
Hand Weapon (Knife)	             5
Stealth	                             5
Survival (Forrest)	             1
Traps 	                             2
Notice 	                             4

Total 	                            30

Gear:
Backpack                                    x1
First Aid Kit                                x1
Binocular                                    x1
Fishing Line                              x1
Lockpick Set                               x1
Black T-Shirt                              x1
Camo Pants                              x1
Watch/Compass Combo        x1
Small Rations                            x1
Canteen  (Water)			     x1
Combat Harness                        x1 

Weapons
Small Knife                x1
D4(2) x (Strength - 1)**
Indicates a stabbing/slashing weapon. Damage is calculated normally, and 
then armor protection is subtracted.
Remaining penetrating damage is doubled.

9mm Pistol		    x1
D6 x 4(12)

Civilian - 5.56 Rifle     x1
D8 x 4(16) (SEMI-AUTO)

Box O'Ammo            x1

Profile Sheet

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 10, 2017

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, well, this misfit band is actually coming together!

Progress check:

Waador:
Rudy Anderson, former Paramedic: needs a few final skills + gear

Piell:
Dave Lawson, redneck axeman: Done

Courvalant:
Annemarie De Lang, rancher with a rumour-ridden past: Done

Pmush Perfect:
Mick, Weed Dealer: Done
(I think we can roll Craft into one skill though, same with Farming)

waroduce:
Sergeant Major, ex-army recluse: Done

Also a running tally of the house rules we've bodged together over in the discord chat:
-Delete the punitive buy in when acquiring new skills (just buy them at their normal price).
-I'm really into rolling together similar skills where it makes sense. Leave Firearms and Hand Weapons as things that have separate types (remembering you can use others in that class at -2), but gosh darn the difference between being good at Humanities (History) and Humanities (Anthropology) is just not gonna be a huge deal and frankly if you spend skill points on Humanities you can just be a bit of a know-it-all :eng101:
And having three separate computer skills is a bit too granular for what I'm going for.
-Regarding Fear: I mentioned in the chat I'm not fond of effects that leave the characters stunned for 1dx turns or whatever (especially in PbP). My idea is instead of those "poo your pants and lose 1d4 turns" outcomes I'll be subbing in more contextual effects that still leave you to take an action, but with a hitch somehow related to being a-scared, hopefully leading to interesting-if-detrimental situations. For instance if a spooky boogie man causes a character to fail a fear check that in the base game would be "stunned for a turn," I'd rather switch that out for something like "take your action, but your fear causes some kind of complication along with it". Like instead of a careful shot, you dump a whole mag and chew through way too much ammo. Or while swinging a baseball bat at a leprechaun that spooked you, you really swing for the fences and accidentally break the fish tank full of rabies-infected piranhas behind him too. It's a bit of a kludge, but I guess just trust me to make it not-bullshit :3:

Also it was asked in chat if zombies are known about in-universe: Anyone with a relevant skill or background would have an idea about the concept of vodoun zombies/superstition about walking corpses from colonial times/old eastern european legends about the undead, but this isn't a world where Romero-type movies exist.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
And I could fit in another character if anyone who hasn't posted yet is keen and can whip something up ahead of Sunday :am:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

My idea is instead of those "poo your pants and lose 1d4 turns" outcomes I'll be subbing in more contextual effects that still leave you to take an action, but with a hitch . . .

My response to any and all problems is /roll seduction :colbert:

Looking forward to starting the game!

Just FYI, you'll have to walk me through the first couple of rolls, because while I generally skimmed the book, I don't have time to study everything, so I'll be learning while playing.

Might make it more interesting, since it sounds like our characters will be learning about zombies for the first time as well.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Throwing my hat in the ring real quick before I hit the hay. Used the Uniforge program linked in the Discord.

Concept is a former petty crook, someone Bobby's had to haul in often enough they're on a first name basis. Now Bobby keeps an eye on him to make sure he stays on the straight and narrow. Marty's a natural at his new occupation - poaching hunting poaching. Whatever, Bobby's no game warden, and that venison is mighty tasty.
Marty's taking the opportunity to celebrate parole.

quote:

Marty Kowalski
Strength: 2 Dexterity: 5 Constitution: 3
Intelligence: 2 Perception: 5 Willpower: 3
Life Points: 30
Endurance: 29
Speed: 16
Essence: 20

Qualities and Drawbacks
Fast Reaction Time : 1, Situational Awareness: 1, Photographic Memory: 1, Cowardly: 1,

Skills:
Stealth: 5, Hand Weapon (Bow): 5, Notice(): 5, Lock Picking (Mechanical): 5, Survival (Forest): 2, Surveillance: 2, Tracking: 2, Pick Pocket(): 1, First Aid: 1, Running (Dash): 1, Climbing(): 1, Driving (Car): 1,

Equipment
Long/Composite Bow
Damage: D8(4)xStrength. Range: 10/30/50/100/200. Capacity: 1. EV: 8/4. Cost: $300. Availability: C.
Reference: WC146.

Lockpick Set
EV: 1/1. Cost: $200. Availability: U.
Reference: AFMBE131.

Camouflage Fatigues
EV: 8/4. Cost: $200. Availability: C.
Reference: AFMBE130.

Multitool
EV: 1/1. Cost: $20. Availability: C.
Reference: AFMBE130.

Large Knife
Damage: D4(2)xStrength. Damage Type: Slashing/Stabbing. EV: 1/1. Cost: $25. Availability: C.
Reference: AFMBE132.

Binoculars
EV: 2/1. Cost: $100. Availability: C.
Reference: AFMBE129.

Leather Jacket
Armor Value: D4(2). EV: 2/1. Cost: $200. Availability: C. Period: Divide Armor by 2 if struck by bullets (3 if armor-piercing), and do not double armor vs. hollow point bullets. This armor is hard to find.
Reference: AFMBE138.

Lifting Capacity = 100lbs /50kg. Throwing Capacity = 90lbs/45kg.
Up to 50/25 = No penalty.
51/26 to 125/63 = -1 penalty. D4(2) Endurance per 10 minutes. (Light)
126/63 to 150/75 = -2 penalty. D4(2) Endurance per 5 minutes. (Medium)
151/76 to 175/88 = -3 penalty. D4(2) Endurance per 2 minutes. (Heavy)
176/88 to 200/100 = -5 penalty. D4(2) Endurance per minute. (Extra Heavy)

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Concept looks good!
Ok so just waiting on a couple little changes to things (also Waroduce your dude has no name, that might be a bit jarring, got a name for him?) and for Waador to finish off Rudy's sheet, and then I'm aiming to put up the main thread for Sunday if we're all sorted by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Thread is UP :banjo:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836948

Make any last minute changes then go post what you do!

• Locked thread