Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Even though it's still in alpha, it's pretty drat fun and probably the best Warhammer video games to date. It's pretty much Diablo with guns (whether you're talking Diablo 2 or 3 is up to you though). It's $49.99 on Steam, but I've already gotten my money's worth from it, even though it's only version 0.6.3. If any of this interests you, check it out:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527430/Warhammer_40000_Inquisitor__Martyr/

Here are some random screen captures I have:

If you do decide to get it, join my cabal, the "BOOTYQUEENS". Don't ask me, my daughter named it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Screenshots look really cool. Is there much of a story or anything yet, or mainly group games? Basicly how alpha is it?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Screenshots look really cool. Is there much of a story or anything yet, or mainly group games? Basicly how alpha is it?
Story is all placeholder. Only lines of dialogue you get are generic "BLAH BLAH WE MUST PURGE THE UNCLEAN BLAH BLAH FOR THE CRUSADE BLAH." There's co-op, but I have not tried it yet. It's very alpha, in regards to the variety of missions, the crafting system (lots of components and upgrades are not implemented yet), and various other poo poo like fate points and tarot and stuff. But it's completely playable.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Lowtax posted:

Story is all placeholder. Only lines of dialogue you get are generic "BLAH BLAH WE MUST PURGE THE UNCLEAN BLAH BLAH FOR THE CRUSADE BLAH."

That might not be placeholder dialogue

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Capntastic posted:

That might not be placeholder dialogue
The story mission actually reads "Placeholder Story Mission." Sometimes a woman says something about relics.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have seen you playing it a poo poo ton on steam, but how much actual content is in it like as of today. I get that it may just be a bunch of randomly generated dungeons, but I guess but how long until you start seeing mostly stuff you've already seen before. Is there lots of loot?

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 29, 2017

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

eonwe posted:

I have seen you playing it a poo poo ton on steam, but how much actual content is in it like as of today. I get that it may just be a bunch of randomly generated dungeons, but I guess but how long until you start seeing mostly stuff you've already seen before. Is there lots of loot?
There's a sizeable amount.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Wow, zero interest in this, huh?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This honestly seems like a reskin with a voice mod for Alien Breed so it costing like 50 bucks seems really unappealing.

"As unappealing as YOUR FACE" yeah yeah i know.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I watched a little bit of someone streaming this game, looked boring honestly. Sorry, OP!

Maybe when it comes out of alpha it will have more stuff and seem less boring.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Lowtax posted:

actually it sounds like a game that should be right up my alley, but the reviews turned me off of trying it. like this one:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/05/warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-is-as-clunky-as-its-name/

as it stands i'm gonna wait for it be release ready before i try it i think.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

botany posted:

actually it sounds like a game that should be right up my alley, but the reviews turned me off of trying it. like this one:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/05/warhammer-40000-inquisitor-martyr-is-as-clunky-as-its-name/

as it stands i'm gonna wait for it be release ready before i try it i think.
It's in alpha and there are literally giant assets that say "PLACEHOLDER" on them and tech tree upgrades that say "UNAVAILABLE IN THIS VERSION," so I'm not really sure how the reviewer concluded all the features are locked down...

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I hold the unorthodox view in 2017 of preferring to purchase my games in the released and finished state

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I will pick it up. i dig diablo clones/twin stick stuff/warhammer. but my PC is utter poo poo, so i will wait for the console release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I came across this game yesterday on Steam randomly and I am very interested in it. Not able to buy it right now, I need to save money, but it's on my wishlist.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

I actually have a lot of interest, but I can't justify $50 for an alpha

Once I see how it shapes up I'll almost certainly be buying

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

Same! I love the Warhammer 40,000 universe and the video games that have come out for it over the last few years have been good. We are constantly getting new WH40K titles and that makes me happy.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Same! I love the Warhammer 40,000 universe and the video games that have come out for it over the last few years have been good. We are constantly getting new WH40K titles and that makes me happy.

I have a stupid love for the Warhammer 40k setting, but the quality control on these games has gone down hill (even Relic :().

This does look like keeping an eye on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lowtax, could you please stream this on Twitch.tv or Youtube? I would be interested in watching you play.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Lowtax posted:

It's in alpha and there are literally giant assets that say "PLACEHOLDER" on them and tech tree upgrades that say "UNAVAILABLE IN THIS VERSION," so I'm not really sure how the reviewer concluded all the features are locked down...
Dunno, paying 50€ for giant assets that say "PLACEHOLDER" on them and tech tree upgrades that say "UNAVAILABLE IN THIS VERSION" is really some turn-off by now.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 1, 2017

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Can you trade your war hammers with other players?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm saving all my 40k money for Dark Crusade 2.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eonwe posted:

same. alphas are cool but i prefer waiting for the finished project and the console release. game does look great though espcialy if they have lots of enemies factions and its as ongoing as they say. i need some warhammer games. my pc cant play dick, so i cant play the various RTS so its basically vermintide and deathwing(when it hits for consoles).

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I want Lowtax to be my friend on steam so we can be cool Inquisibros and purge heretics together like in an 80s buddy cop movie while wearing short shorts and high five at the end.

Wipfmetz posted:

Dunno, paying 50€ for giant assets that say "PLACEHOLDER" on them and tech tree upgrades that say "UNAVAILABLE IN THIS VERSION" is really some turn-off by now.

I just want to encourage people to make more 40k games that aren't lovely mobile ones.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

high six posted:

I just want to encourage people to make more 40k games that aren't lovely mobile ones.

this. i am not sure why games workshop doesnt have obsidion or some other good dev(gently caress even bioware ) make a action rpg or some sort of rpg.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

It's on my wish list but I'm poor so I'm keeping an eye on it for now. I love me some digital warhams.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i am not sure why games workshop doesnt have obsidion or some other good dev(gently caress even bioware ) make a action rpg or some sort of rpg.

Make a clone of XCOM2 but with Space Marines or something. Get Relic to do the sound. Voila.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

high six posted:

Make a clone of XCOM2 but with Space Marines or something. Get Relic to do the sound. Voila.

that and make space marine 2 drat it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

GW just seems aggressively terrible at anything related to business. They gave the IP to a studio with a solid record in RTSs, and in return they pumped out one solid-to-great game after another that made like a billion sales and got them a big boost to 40k's popularity. Then GW look at this success story, and instead of trying to build similar long-term partnerships with other proven studios, they decide to completely reverse course and just farm that poo poo out by the dozen to tiny little developers with barely any experience and no resources to speak of.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm super-interested in this but my logic for buying Early Access pretty much goes like this:

#1) if I wait a while the game will be more complete and thus better.
#2) If I wait there will probably be an actual sale on the game before it's even released.

Mordheim was the same way I remember. Basically a good game but it took a shitload of time to be actually 'done' and it had multiple discounts before that happened. So yeah it looks good because I'm a sucker for Warhammer and ARPGs but Total Warhammer 2 is satiating that craving for now.

Perestroika posted:

GW just seems aggressively terrible at anything related to business. They gave the IP to a studio with a solid record in RTSs, and in return they pumped out one solid-to-great game after another that made like a billion sales and got them a big boost to 40k's popularity. Then GW look at this success story, and instead of trying to build similar long-term partnerships with other proven studios, they decide to completely reverse course and just farm that poo poo out by the dozen to tiny little developers with barely any experience and no resources to speak of.
Oooh man swing on by Trad Games or 1d4chan if you don't already (or poo poo just google Games Workshop Mistakes because being bad at making/marketing games doesn't compare to the tabletop side of it. GW are legendarily terrible businessmen.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 1, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pierson posted:

I'm super-interested in this but my logic for buying Early Access pretty much goes like this:

#1) if I wait a while the game will be more complete and thus better.
#2) If I wait there will probably be an actual sale on the game before it's even released.

Mordheim was the same way I remember. Basically a good game but it took a shitload of time to be actually 'done' and it had multiple discounts before that happened. So yeah it looks good because I'm a sucker for Warhammer and ARPGs but Total Warhammer 2 is satiating that craving for now.

Oooh man swing on by Trad Games or 1d4chan if you don't already (or poo poo just google Games Workshop Mistakes because being bad at making/marketing games doesn't compare to the tabletop side of it. GW are legendarily terrible businessmen.

second this. 1d4chan is great and its honestly a pretty fun way to get caught up on lore stuff too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've been playing this and I have been very impressed with the shooting-holes-in-stuff technology. the holes appear exactly on stuff where you shot it and they're actual holes not black decals

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i've been playing this and I have been very impressed with the shooting-holes-in-stuff technology. the holes appear exactly on stuff where you shot it and they're actual holes not black decals

yeah, they talk about the destruction/gore physics in their little dev docs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2TvGQ6TzjQ

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Wipfmetz posted:

That's fine, I completely understand, I typically don't blow full price on an alpha. Honestly if there's negligible development between the alpha state it's in now and the release version, I'll be disappointed. But for being what it is right now, it feels promising to me. Hopefully.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game has come a long way even in the six months or so it's been available to the public, but I'm still not sure I'd recommend it quite yet. They have pretty massive ideas they're going to have to make real in the next five or six months, so I'm still a little wary, even as much as I enjoy the game in its current state.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Lowtax posted:

I checked out some youtubes after you posted about it on twitter, but the sound design was so dinky and puny, didn't feel like proper warhammer. Maybe they will fix that eventually tho! But beyond all else i thought it was way too much to pay for a EA alpha.

Edit: I'm just kinda tired of the whole EA thing tbh, so it takes very very much for me to take the plunge on it, but it's on my wishlist/followed games for sure.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 2, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I heard about this in March or so but never followed it, instead waiting for something tangible before allowing myself to get hyped. I really, really, really want it to be good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Have they talked about what they want to do for the endgame? ARPGs survive off the loot grind but these days you pretty much need some kind of iterative/ever-escalating difficulty to give people a reason besides 'slightly bigger numbers' to plow hours into getting 1% better rolls on your guns. Diablo 3 has it's cool seasons and rifts and Path of Exile has their system of maps and modifiers.

Something like that would be cool, even randomised maps get boring after a while if there's no real reason to go into them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dongattack posted:

I checked out some youtubes after you posted about it on twitter, but the sound design was so dinky and puny, didn't feel like proper warhammer. Maybe they will fix that eventually tho! But beyond all else i thought it was way too much to pay for a EA alpha.
Yeah that's been my issue with that dev's other RPG series, Van Helsing. Combat just feels really anemic and unsatisfying. Itemization was also real bad in that game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I've been following this game for awhile now. From what i've seen it's receiving a pretty good amount of development. I'm probably going to be picking it up once I can justify dropping $50 on it.

Development wise it's not at Kenshi's insane "We've been putting out new patches and content updates every week since the start of Steam's Early Access program" level of development, but that's fine. It seems like they've made a lot of progress so far.

Plus from what i've seen of it on Youtube you can literally get into a fight with the Imperial Guard's tanks as of one of the recent updates. And win, too. Chainsawing a giant tank to death is just loving metal.

• Locked thread