Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

just have crystal make some rock and make an island bing bong simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think that's a false dichotomy. The royals could create a more egalitarian society, refrain from engaging in conspicuous consumption (how can their palace be loving huge and be mostly empty in a society that has space issues!?), stop openly flouting Attilan's own rules, open trade negotiations with human and earth-based Inhuman colonies, and take a more active involvement in their world's problems. Instead Crystal spends her days hanging out with her dog and listening to her ipod, while people dig with handtools. It's hard to imagine that she and her sister were previous anti-monarchists.

I mean, surely, given his skillset, Gorgon would be suited to mining work rather than hanging out in the Palace and openly talking about loving the serving caste?

It's hard to like the main characters when they're basically slavers.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mordis is basically leatherface Xorn and I'll definitely root for Xorn above all these jerks.

In my head canon his only problems are people not understanding him because he has a sun for a brain and secretly being Magneto.

eke out fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 9, 2017

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I take back what I said about the show being mediocre. Mortis/Mordus/MoreDust took it into comically bad territory. That and all of the main characters being idiots and the terrible script. Oh and the pro-Social Darwinism slant. Not to mention everything looking cheap.

At this point, the only things I like are Black Bolt and all of the villainous humans (overzealous cops and murderous pot farmers) being haoles.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

at least s5 of AoS is sounding pretty cool

BSam posted:

yup, it's been consistantly good since s1

Barry thinks/thought that SHIELD is gone so hard and I lightly tease him about it constantly.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

The actress who plays Crystal is the WORST.

Edit: The guy playing Black Bolt was better when he actually had something to do other than just stand there.

There are a lot of problems with the show, but now I'm going into denial mode and have decided that since Black Bolt looks so much like The Boss, that this is a sequel to the Saints Row franchise. And things are better for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Doctor Butts posted:

There are a lot of problems with the show, but now I'm going into denial mode and have decided that since Black Bolt looks so much like The Boss, that this is a sequel to the Saints Row franchise. And things are better for it.

Uh Black Bolt is not a hot hipster chick, so looks nothing like the Boss.

But yea Mordis kind of stole the show, being a sarcastic douche.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think that's a false dichotomy. The royals could create a more egalitarian society, refrain from engaging in conspicuous consumption (how can their palace be loving huge and be mostly empty in a society that has space issues!?), stop openly flouting Attilan's own rules, open trade negotiations with human and earth-based Inhuman colonies, and take a more active involvement in their world's problems. Instead Crystal spends her days hanging out with her dog and listening to her ipod, while people dig with handtools. It's hard to imagine that she and her sister were previous anti-monarchists.

I mean, surely, given his skillset, Gorgon would be suited to mining work rather than hanging out in the Palace and openly talking about loving the serving caste?

It's hard to like the main characters when they're basically slavers.

"So , we're going to do a new show about a persecuted marvel minority"

"Oh, you mean like X-MEN? That sounds awesome, everyone loves the X-MEN"

"Yes, but the twist here is that our protagonists keep their genetic inferiors as mining slaves in order to support their lavish lifestyle. Anyone whose kids don't get cool superpowers during their genetic coming of age ceremony becomes a slave."

"Okay.... So what's our villains deal?"

"He's gonna gently caress over the rest of the royals and free all the slaves"

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Black Bolt when he saw that prisoner reveal his heat hands power: "That guy would be pretty useful in the mines."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm not even sure how this mining assignment is supposed to work.

You seem to get put in there if you have no powers. So you're just toiling away with your completely unpowered baseline human muscles.

You also seem to get put in there if you have powers that might be good for mining, maybe. So the guy who can shovel dirt with his rock hands is right next to the guy with...no powers whatsoever.

You'd think that someone like Gorgon or Medusa could do a really good job in the mines but hey, nepotism.

Speaking of which, Triton is just still dead this week I guess. How long has he been floating in the ocean?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Triton survived, healed up, and is hanging out with a different group of ex-special-forces surfers on the other side of the island. It turns out he's a really good swimmer.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

You seem to get put in there if you have no powers. So you're just toiling away with your completely unpowered baseline human muscles.

You also seem to get put in there if you have powers that might be good for mining, maybe. So the guy who can shovel dirt with his rock hands is right next to the guy with...no powers whatsoever.

You'd think that someone like Gorgon or Medusa could do a really good job in the mines but hey, nepotism.

Speaking of which, Triton is just still dead this week I guess. How long has he been floating in the ocean?

Listen it's all very complicated and our primitive minds are just too weak and human to understand why it's a good thing to make mine slaves out of people who are less than you. Now give me some money machine, I am the very smart and gifted queen of the moon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how Medusa's choice of earth wardrobe is basically motocycle lesbian.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

Or that backup teleportation guy who is living inside rock and can manipulate rock freely, or that guy who has a giant laser for a face, or the chick who can control elements, or the guy who can immediately see the fault in anything (and thus crack away a ton of rock by tapping on the wall in just the right place) or or or ....

They've basically got the plebs down in the mines performing months of backbreaking work to do what one of the higher ups could achieve in a lazy afternoon.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What are they even mining for anyway, more space rocks?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Avalerion posted:

What are they even mining for anyway, more space rocks?

They're making new living space for their ever expanding population. That's why Maximus wants everyone to just move to Earth.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Phylodox posted:

They're making new living space for their ever expanding population. That's why Maximus wants everyone to just move to Earth.
Which is also funny because in the flashback scene, Black Bolt made fun of the fact that he'd become king of only 1,400 people.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

Uh Black Bolt is not a hot hipster chick, so looks nothing like the Boss.

But yea Mordis kind of stole the show, being a sarcastic douche.

Same.

twistedmentat posted:

I like how Medusa's choice of earth wardrobe is basically motocycle lesbian.

It's not her fault, it's the haircut.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or that backup teleportation guy who is living inside rock and can manipulate rock freely, or that guy who has a giant laser for a face, or the chick who can control elements, or the guy who can immediately see the fault in anything (and thus crack away a ton of rock by tapping on the wall in just the right place) or or or ....

They've basically got the plebs down in the mines performing months of backbreaking work to do what one of the higher ups could achieve in a lazy afternoon.

Eldrac doesn't live inside that rock, that rock is him. His Inhuman power is he turned into a door. He can't move from where he's placed, really.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The latest episode just really cemented how bad of a show this is. Somehow Maximus (the villain!) has the high moral ground and makes speeches that make perfect sense. All the heroes are dumb jerks fetishizing this exploitative monarchy system. They read/write English, so why doesn't Black Bolt ask for a pen? Nah, instead he put a cop in the hospital who was after him because he shoplifted. What a noble guy.

Also, the new flashback showed that he killed his parents knowing his voice was a weapon, not entirely by accident like the pilot implied.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Was Medusa named Medusa before she acquired her hair powers?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yes, her full name is Medusalith Amaquelin.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, her name is Medusalith Amaquelin while her husband is Blackagar Boltagon.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Heathen posted:

That just... urrrgh.

I also don't know why everyone seemed to like Mordis, unless that's just holdover feelings from the comics that I haven't read. They introduced him as this super scary guy, powerful, kept under lock and key, forbidding face mask, voice modulator... and then he turns out to be this regular ol' sarcastic douche. I expected him to be a lot more, I dunno, reserved and arrogant, I guess. More Darth Vadery. Hearing him wisecrack "keeping people safe... not really my best quality" just seemed so dissonant from the way he was introduced that it's hard to take him seriously.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yes, her full name is Medusalith Amaquelin.

Heathen posted:

If these weren't posted back to back I don't think I would have believed you. :ughh:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Heathen posted:

Who are the fucknuggets who wrote this poo poo and who thought this could really be the equivalent of X-Men for the MCU?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

JazzFlight posted:

Who are the fucknuggets who wrote this poo poo and who thought this could really be the equivalent of X-Men for the MCU?

They had it setup nicely with how Inhumans on earth were being treated on AOS. Then for some reason they decided TV's poster child for mediocrity being rewarded should be the one to get the project, and he was apparently afraid of fan wrath to change too much backstory.

I can't really decide if it's better or worse that this incarnation have made moon slaves out of their own children who are unlucky enough to not get powers vs actually creating a whole sub race of slaves like they did in the comics.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

google scott buck

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'd rather watch Inhumans than The Gifted any day, at least. A total trainwreck will always be more interesting to me than a competently executed mediocrity.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

ekeog posted:

google scott buck

You would think "I decided Deb wants to gently caress Dexter and will help him be a murderer" would be enough to get someone banned from the industry for life

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Scott Buck isn't the one who came up with their names or pitched the idea. He's just the guy who continues to get work no one else is interested in.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JazzFlight posted:

Jack Kirby

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
No that's who came up with this names. Ike Perlmutter was the one who forced that particular mandate on the comics and show.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Look, Jack Kirby was a great writer who made up loads of characters. I for one am completely fine with the fact that with a couple of them you can tell EXACTLY where he ran out of :effort:.

Also, just stating it right now: Crusher Creel will always be Wishbone's best Buddy Convict, even if the dude he has now seems pretty cool.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Kirby had nothing to do with the names. John Byrne was credited as the writer for that one but he blames Mark Gruenwald

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Wait, so is it Blackagar or Blackantor?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

It's only Blackantor in that one comic. From then on it became Blackagar.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

...Wait, so is it Blackagar or Blackantor?

It's Robert Bruce Boltagon.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barry Convex posted:

I'd rather watch Inhumans than The Gifted any day, at least. A total trainwreck will always be more interesting to me than a competently executed mediocrity.

Gifted is 2.6 miles better than Inhumans already

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rocksicles posted:

Gifted is 2.6 miles better than Inhumans already

Oh, it's definitely a better show in every objective sense I can think of. Doesn't mean I actually find it interesting or enjoyable to watch.

this is totally subjective and ymmv, obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea gifted bored me, and while I can't claim this one's actually good, it is entertaining.

• Locked thread