Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Gifted is a car crash, but Inhumans is a train crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Everything about inhumans is so terrible except Eldrac. Poor dude.

I'm going to keep watching it, but it's so so bad I love it. Did they get rid of Medusa's telepathy or is it actually her hair that is telepathic and I just missed that bit?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nevvy Z posted:

Everything about inhumans is so terrible except Eldrac. Poor dude.

I'm going to keep watching it, but it's so so bad I love it. Did they get rid of Medusa's telepathy or is it actually her hair that is telepathic and I just missed that bit?

When was she telepathic?

Edit: and the name of the new guy is probably spelled Mortis as that related to death and he's basically a living death ray (who is surprisingly chill about his lot in life).

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
My dude Mortis just needs a helmet built out of Cyclops' glasses and he'll be good to go.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Aleph Null posted:

When was she telepathic?

She's always reading his mind in the books and telling everyone what he is thinking. Maybe I misunderstood something about their relationship. edit- googling a bit, that's actually Blackbolts power, not hers. Weird.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 11, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nevvy Z posted:

She's always reading his mind in the books and telling everyone what he is thinking. Maybe I misunderstood something about their relationship. edit- googling a bit, that's actually Blackbolts power, not hers. Weird.

I thought she was just really good at reading Blackbolt since they were married. Plus, he can't talk, so she has to be really good at it just to have a successful relationship.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

try the new taco place posted:

My dude Mortis just needs a helmet built out of Cyclops' glasses and he'll be good to go.

you don't dig the dollar store s.t.a.l.k.e.r cosplay asthetic?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Phenotype posted:

I also don't know why everyone seemed to like Mordis, unless that's just holdover feelings from the comics that I haven't read. They introduced him as this super scary guy, powerful, kept under lock and key, forbidding face mask, voice modulator... and then he turns out to be this regular ol' sarcastic douche. I expected him to be a lot more, I dunno, reserved and arrogant, I guess. More Darth Vadery. Hearing him wisecrack "keeping people safe... not really my best quality" just seemed so dissonant from the way he was introduced that it's hard to take him seriously.
Missed this from earlier, but the reason I like him is because these moon mofos built him up as this Dark Death Doomsday Weapon of Dark Deathness, but then it turns out he's just kind of a bitter snarky rear end in a top hat taking a piss at these other uptight dickrats. Everyone else in this show is so loving uptight and pretentious and humorless and it's great that we finally have someone to contrast against that, especially in a "lord what fools these mortals be" sort of way. I can seriously only imagine that rest of the Inhumans only locked him up because having a personality is illegal in Attilan.

He's basically what Maximus is in the comics and what I wish Maximus was in this show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sarcastic douche Moredust feels like a worn out trope. I guess he's better than all the other characters technically, but that's hardly saying anything.

Everyone on this show is so monumentally stupid that I don't have the energy or will to talk about it. Will probably continue to hatewatch out of utter fascination to see just how awful they get. Was that the idea in the first place?

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most out of this show is the final shot, where after the Royals decide they're gonna help the Inhumans on Earth, someone hands them a piece of paper for their first person to help and Medusa looks at the camera "dramatically" and says "Kamala Khan, what a peculiar name..." and Marvel ties possibly their most marketable female character to this anchor.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
I know it's on a different channel and playing to a totally different audience, but to have something like this and Legion coming out the same year under the same corporate umbrella is a little bit insane. One is a genuinely unique and original take on a licensed property, and the other has Scott Buck as a showrunner.

I would be fascinated to see the chain of decisions that led to Inhumans coming to the screen in the way that it did. Surely, someone at some stage during production must've realised they had a huge turd on their hands, but I guess they spunked away so much money on it they couldn't really afford to stop.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Edmund Lava posted:

Kirby had nothing to do with the names. John Byrne was credited as the writer for that one but he blames Mark Gruenwald

:ughh:

I grew up a fan of John Byrne's artwork but I've learned that virtually every he does to characters as a writer is terrible and wrong. He was the one that decided that Lockjaw wasn't really a dog.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I would like one of these snobby dorks to try and talk Daisy into coming back to the Moon, because you know she can sass them as they've never been sassed before and then back it up.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

I would like one of these snobby dorks to try and talk Daisy into coming back to the Moon, because you know she can sass them as they've never been sassed before and then back it up.

Gorgon: I CAN SHAKE THE GROUND DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE ME WOMAN

Daisy: Oh that is just so cute

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I do kinda wish that Max had Mrts' personality, and that Mrts was some cheerful, happy-go-lucky dude with a deathray face.

I can't imagine how these people meeting Daisy would go at this point. "So this Maximus guy freed all the inhuman slaves, and you want to stop him?" would come up.

Karnak and Fitz comparing notes on brain damage.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Not being a reader of the comics, I thought that SHIELD did an excellent job introducing the inhumans and has had a few good story arcs with them.

Why was this (largely) separate installment needed? Especially since it looks so cheap and the main story feels all kinds of warped and wrong.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

Not being a reader of the comics, I thought that SHIELD did an excellent job introducing the inhumans and has had a few good story arcs with them.

Why was this (largely) separate installment needed? Especially since it looks so cheap and the main story feels all kinds of warped and wrong.

because disney wants to shove the marvel brand into every available orifice

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Somebody has a massive hardon for this garbage x-men knockoff brand. First it was gonna get a movie and when that fell through it got this. I can't find any appeal in Inhumans and quite possibly the dumbest names ever made up. Seriously, next time let your 5 year old with a speech impediment name your characters you hacks.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Dammit, 5 seconds of Mortis isn't nearly enough of his snark to get me through this...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I submit that he be forever referred to as Moredust.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

Who named him Mortis and not Laserface?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

counterfeitsaint posted:

Somebody has a massive hardon for this garbage x-men knockoff brand. First it was gonna get a movie and when that fell through it got this. I can't find any appeal in Inhumans and quite possibly the dumbest names ever made up. Seriously, next time let your 5 year old with a speech impediment name your characters you hacks.

In the comics the Inhumans were this separate society with their own culture and heritage. What happened was that Ike Perlmutter who is one of the head honchos at Marvel and a massive piece of poo poo got sick of what he saw as Fox getting free advertising for their movies and basically their movies tried to downplay the X-men and started trying to push The Inhumans in their place. It was largely awful and felt terribly inorganic, there was also a push to include them on AoS that fared a bit better but it is still pretty obvious that they are using them because they don't have the rights to any of their mutant characters.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This is the worst show in the universe and the best scam for an all expense paid Disney vacation to Hawaii. I don’t know which is more impressive.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The only way this poo poo could offend me more, would be if I had paid for it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

David D. Davidson posted:

In the comics the Inhumans were this separate society with their own culture and heritage. What happened was that Ike Perlmutter who is one of the head honchos at Marvel and a massive piece of poo poo got sick of what he saw as Fox getting free advertising for their movies and basically their movies tried to downplay the X-men and started trying to push The Inhumans in their place. It was largely awful and felt terribly inorganic, there was also a push to include them on AoS that fared a bit better but it is still pretty obvious that they are using them because they don't have the rights to any of their mutant characters.
I feel like this was overexaggerated, even at its peak there were still way more X-Men comics than InHumans comics, but people liked to buy in the idea that there was this vast conspiracy to kill the X-men brand. Plus the Inhumans push gave us Kamala so it was worth it. I don't know actually since I don't read comics since it seems like a really bad money pitfall.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There is definitely some pettiness over licensing rights going on. Marvel released some shirt and posters for Secret Wars' 30th anniversary a few years ago and photoshopped the Fantastic Four out of all the artwork.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
They sure made Not Kara Danvers look a lot like Kara Danvers.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So did Lockjaw use to be a human and turning into a dog is what teregenesis did to him, or...?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

so this episode was actually not quite as awful as the first 3 but holy gently caress that ending part rofl

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

AbstractNapper posted:

The thing is that the Inhumans that have appeared on Agents of SHIELD are not the actual Inhumans who had been appearing through Marvel Comics history. They're not even the, like, B or C-list Inhumans for the most part. As far as I can recall and determine, the vast majority of the AoS Inhumans are new characters created specifically for the show, with the exceptions being Yo-Yo, Lash, and Daisy. Except that even though Daisy Johnson was a pre-existing character in Marvel Comics, she wasn't actually an Inhuman...at least, not until AoS revealed that Skye was in fact Daisy, and then the comics retconned that heritage into comic-book Daisy so that she would be more like her TV version. And in Yo-Yo's case? As far as I can tell, she also didn't start off as an Inhuman in the comics and to this day her origin has not been changed to make her one.

So that literally just leaves Lash as the one single Inhuman who was actually based on an Inhuman from the comics.

Which is, obviously, not a great way to build franchise synergy. You can try to put Daisy and Yo-Yo on T-shirts and lunchboxes, but the two of them aren't going to be building your actual Inhumans brand. If you want to hype the Inhumans concept into something as ubiquitous as the X-Men, then you're going to need to bring out the actual long-running characters who've been appearing in comics alongside Iron Man and Captain America and all the rest.

Now, I personally have said before and will say again that these actual "iconic" Inhumans characters -- aka Black Bolt and Medusa and Crystal and the rest of the Royal Family -- do not lend themselves to adaptation very well. In my opinion it's pretty obvious why Kevin Feige wasn't tripping all over himself to fast-track the Inhumans film back when it was actually a film, and it wasn't just because he hated Perlmutter, and it also isn't because the comics were bad or anything like that. It's just that the Inhumans are super weird and don't really adhere to the usual storytelling conventions that most Marvel films have honed pretty much down to an art. There's no real protagonist. The central conflict is difficult to pin down. The setting itself is unusual. They don't fight crime or injustice or other alien invaders or...anything like that.

Still, the fact remains that if you really want to make the Inhumans a thing and not just a recurring plot point on AoS, then you're gonna have to find a way to make the actual bona fide comic book Royal Family work despite all that the concept has going against it. Which, to be clear, isn't to say that it's impossible. But you would've had to lean really hard on the parts of the franchise that actually do work. Make it a space opera. Make it high fantasy. Make it introspective and regal, Ridley-Scott-style. Slap Vin Diesel on the cover and call it a day. There's something to be said for being really experimental and avant-garde with a property like this.

But the thing is that...well, if you do that, then they're not going to be the X-Men expys that you want so badly. If you make them Prometheus, then they're not gonna replace the cool snarky gang of superpowered underdogs fighting for their rights that you wanted to have. Now, some might propose the offbeat radical notion that you should probably just let the Inhumans be themselves instead of trying to force them into being another group that they're not and have never been. But I'm sure we can all agree that this is crazy talk by dumb people and that the product we ended up with here is vastly preferable!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The only way this poo poo could offend me more, would be if I had paid for it.

I love that all the ex Lost guys are still on probation in Hawaii.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Avalerion posted:

So did Lockjaw use to be a human and turning into a dog is what teregenesis did to him, or...?

It depends on who you ask. He talked one time about it with The Thing from The Fantastic Four, but everyone says that was just someone messing with him...

On the other hand... I don't see any other Moon dogs around, and the Royal Inhumans are all kind of assholes.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I'm really trying to get through this show since I have a thing with not wanting to miss any of the mcu stuff, but boy does this show suck so far.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Of all the directions to take Karnak, having him be a clueless dude who needs a woman to show him the ways of the world (and love :blush: ) is almost certainly the worst.

A sociopathic marijuana farmer was not who I was expecting to be a main villain either. Should have used Plantman, at least.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There is definitely some pettiness over licensing rights going on. Marvel released some shirt and posters for Secret Wars' 30th anniversary a few years ago and photoshopped the Fantastic Four out of all the artwork.
To be fair Fox has basically poisoned the FF brand and is probably really :smug: that they can hold onto it forever because they would never want Disney to get all the really good Marvel villains that are locked up with the FF rights.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MARVEL EXEC: Karnak can find the flaw in everything.. but can he find the flaw in a beautiful weed farmer who teaches him about love?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yes, as soon as his power's are back in full.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Still, the fact remains that if you really want to make the Inhumans a thing and not just a recurring plot point on AoS, then you're gonna have to find a way to make the actual bona fide comic book Royal Family work despite all that the concept has going against it. Which, to be clear, isn't to say that it's impossible. But you would've had to lean really hard on the parts of the franchise that actually do work. Make it a space opera. Make it high fantasy. Make it introspective and regal, Ridley-Scott-style. Slap Vin Diesel on the cover and call it a day. There's something to be said for being really experimental and avant-garde with a property like this.

Man, having them swoop into earth in more dramatic fashion in order to try and help all the persecuted new inhumans while eventually finding a way towards a mostly peaceful but slightly unstable coexistence with mankind would have been too hard? I mean we already had hive saving the inhumans by trying to kill all the people, we couldn't just get the Xavier version now?

Maybe it's building towards that, but starting off from the place of "root for this guy to get his moonslaves back" is not exactly the way into a wide audiences heart. Nor is "YOUR DAD WAS DUMB FOR HAVING GOALS HUMAN, gently caress YOUR TOY ROCKET"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

timrenzi574 posted:

Man, having them swoop into earth in more dramatic fashion in order to try and help all the persecuted new inhumans while eventually finding a way towards a mostly peaceful but slightly unstable coexistence with mankind would have been too hard? I mean we already had hive saving the inhumans by trying to kill all the people, we couldn't just get the Xavier version now?

I think that could work, but I don't think you can build a show with them as protagonists. Not saying they'd be the "villains" but them invading Earth having long been away from it certainly at least makes them antagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can I just say how terrible I think this show’s intro is? With the terrible, zero effort, mid-90s CG logos floating around and then a cartoon dog head tilt? It’s just distractingly bad at the start of every episode. Puts me in a bad frame of mind right off the bat.

• Locked thread