Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I played imperial assault for the first time last week. It's a fun but really long game. We only played with 2 rebel players and an imperial and an 8 turn mission took us 3 hours almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

pandemic at lunch, we lost

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

pandemic at lunch, we lost

That's a shame - how close did you get? Whenever I've lost, it's always been very close. (Although I suppose the same could be said for our wins, too!) I like using the medic, I think it is. The one who can clear a city of disease in one go. I think he works well with that quarantine character who can lock down a bunch of cities, so disease doesn't spread to/from them.

As for my own board game related activities, I didn't play any over the weekend, although I did cave and buy the Battlestar Galactica boardgame and then spent a chunk of time sleeving all the cards, if that counts! :v: (I've got one or two friends who are somehow NOT great with cards, so I didn't really want to risk it)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Might be learning Yokohama tonight

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
im bonna do the bougie gamenight thing that german couples do and play some gateway games with my gf's colleage and her bf. they only have settlers, im bringing carcassonne, istanbul and some filler games.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Played a few rounds of Dominion, tonight. Won two, came second in the third, so it went pretty smoothly on the whole I guess. Next week I should be able to play BSG as mentioned earlier, with four others - so that should be good too, come next Friday night!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

discount cathouse posted:

im bonna do the bougie gamenight thing that german couples do and play some gateway games with my gf's colleage and her bf. they only have settlers, im bringing carcassonne, istanbul and some filler games.

carcassonne is a great cutthroat game

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
we played istanbul and its the most complex game they ever played, so there was a stunned silence after the rules explanation. but they all liked it in the end. its a good post-gateway game.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I did a team building thing at work using pandemic and everyone thought it was the most complex game as well

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
terraforming mars is cool and good. the best part is when you get to terraform mars.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Angela Lansburial posted:

terraforming mars is cool and good. the best part is when you get to terraform mars.

I haven't played it myself, although I hear it's fun. Quite long though I guess, which might be an issue for some people.

Also, Friday is here! Which means that tonight I'll be playing the Battlestar Galactica board game with a bunch of friends tonight, as well as perhaps a quick round of something else afterwards, like Dominion or Nuclear War, perhaps. Should be a good time all-round, I think

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Playing some chess tonight, online. I have lost 4 times and won 0 so far.. I hope my rating stabilizes soon and I can have opponents who haven't been training there entire lives just to viciously murder me in under 15 moves over and over again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Playing some chess tonight, online. I have lost 4 times and won 0 so far.. I hope my rating stabilizes soon and I can have opponents who haven't been training there entire lives just to viciously murder me in under 15 moves over and over again

Is that on chess.com, or one of the other many chess sites? Since I used to play on chess.com ages ago, and I always thought it had the best UI for a chess site, compared to some of the others I've seen.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Major Isoor posted:

Is that on chess.com, or one of the other many chess sites? Since I used to play on chess.com ages ago, and I always thought it had the best UI for a chess site, compared to some of the others I've seen.

i actually just switched from chess.com to lichess, after a month and a half of playing exclusively on chess.com. i like the lichess UI better, everything is %100 free, and i kind of wanted a fresh slate as far as my standard/blitz/bullet rating goes, since i have some knowledge and experience under my belt now. and also my chess.com stats were severely padded by me slaughtering my coworkers over and over again until they didnt want to play with me anymore, so my win ratio was like 85% just because of them lol. hit me up if you want to play some time, Major. I have a feeling there's much I could learn from you

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

discount cathouse posted:

we played istanbul and its the most complex game they ever played, so there was a stunned silence after the rules explanation. but they all liked it in the end. its a good post-gateway game.

I love the visual that game gives of you running around the market stacked on the shoulders of your apprentices.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

i actually just switched from chess.com to lichess, after a month and a half of playing exclusively on chess.com. i like the lichess UI better, everything is %100 free, and i kind of wanted a fresh slate as far as my standard/blitz/bullet rating goes, since i have some knowledge and experience under my belt now. and also my chess.com stats were severely padded by me slaughtering my coworkers over and over again until they didnt want to play with me anymore, so my win ratio was like 85% just because of them lol. hit me up if you want to play some time, Major. I have a feeling there's much I could learn from you

Heh, I dunno - I haven't played in a few years, so I'm extremely rusty! I'll have to check lichess out though; sounds like a good site.

Also, the humans (myself included) lost the BSG game last night, sadly. We were doing quite well, up until the last third of the game where we effectively ground to a halt, drawing so many bad crisis cards, that spawned more and more Cylon attackers, (with a few others like water shortages and a terrorist bombing) none of which letting us spool up our FTL drive to jump again; so we could never escape the Cylon fleet surrounding us. Still, great game though - I'd like to play it again; hopefully having a more balanced/well-shuffled crisis deck, too! :D

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More like bored game

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

In Training posted:

More like bored game

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Other than Major Isoor who is truly enthusiastic about everything, you can always sense the extreme boredom, depression and desperation from people talking about playing board games. Good poo poo. lmfao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Major Isoor posted:

Heh, I dunno - I haven't played in a few years, so I'm extremely rusty! I'll have to check lichess out though; sounds like a good site.

Also, the humans (myself included) lost the BSG game last night, sadly. We were doing quite well, up until the last third of the game where we effectively ground to a halt, drawing so many bad crisis cards, that spawned more and more Cylon attackers, (with a few others like water shortages and a terrorist bombing) none of which letting us spool up our FTL drive to jump again; so we could never escape the Cylon fleet surrounding us. Still, great game though - I'd like to play it again; hopefully having a more balanced/well-shuffled crisis deck, too! :D

According to my stats I'm in bottom 20% of all players on the site.. You can take me bro. My lichess username is the same as it is on here, send a challenge my way if you're ever in the mood. Cheers :D

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Wormskull posted:

Other than Major Isoor who is truly enthusiastic about everything, you can always sense the extreme boredom, depression and desperation from people talking about playing board games. Good poo poo. lmfao

This

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I got to play Gloomhaven for the first time on Sunday and wow it really is as good as everyone says it is. My play ground has been trying to cancel plans and cram in another session as soon as possible.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aston posted:

I got to play Gloomhaven for the first time on Sunday and wow it really is as good as everyone says it is. My play ground has been trying to cancel plans and cram in another session as soon as possible.

i'm jealous. i want to play GH a lot, but don't have a regular group for it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I always get hyped as gently caress when I play carcassone because I have the syndrome that makes me like builder games

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I always get hyped as gently caress when I play carcassone because I have the syndrome that makes me like builder games

My man let me tell you about the castles of mad king ludwig

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

More Gloomhaven. Tinkerer 4 life!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
picked up Century: Spice Road today. trading spices for other spices for other spices to eventually buy up huge palaces, humiliating your opponents.

not sure how interactive it is, feels a bit 'solitaire' so far, but we've only played two games - i had the same feeling about Splendor when i first started playing that, but i've since had a week-long, dozen-game deathmarch playing that against a single opponent, and it certainly feels very interactive then!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Might play a couple games of Chess.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

gonna have a big ol board game day with my board game buds this Saturday. don't know what we're gonna play but I can guarantee it's going to be a goodd time :cheers:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

crews all here.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Squeezy Farm posted:

crews all here.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Gloomhaven has supplanted all other games. There is only Gloomhaven now.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

do you have a normal group to play with or are you doing it solo? can you even do it solo?

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
chess online

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I managed to get in a couple of rounds of Dominion on the weekend, in addition to playing Heat Signature on PC a lot. Managed to win both rounds. I really think Dominion is probably the best card game I've played, to be honest - it's great, particularly with the variety that the expansions bring to the table.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i might play a game or two of internet chess.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i tried to play dnd for the first time like a month or two back and during the 2 hours it took to explain all the rules and how characters work i went from sober to blind drunk and passed out, thats about it for my bored games experience

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

do you have a normal group to play with or are you doing it solo? can you even do it solo?

I have a regular group of 4. I think you can play it solo but I have no idea how good it is.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

whenever I've tried to get into dnd, the groups I've played with were not helpful and they didn't make it fun so gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whenever I've tried to get into dnd, the groups I've played with were not helpful and they didn't make it fun so gently caress it
It's insanely hard to find a good group.

• Locked thread