Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

ya it seems like most groups are kind of elitist and don't want to explain the game to a beginner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Playing D&D with your friends looks fun but meeting up with people specifically to play D&D sounds hellish.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've met some great people through board game and RPG groups and some incredible assholes. It helps to have some idea of what you want to do: roleplay, just play through a story, focus on combat, etc. Then you can find a group that wants the same stuff.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insanely hard to find a good group.

lure them in with cards against humanity.

P-Mack posted:

Playing D&D with your friends looks fun but meeting up with people specifically to play D&D sounds hellish.

it's more insulting when nobody gets into it and the game is anchored on getting that one stoner to focus for next 5 minutes of his 20 minute turn while people gaze into their loving phones.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 28, 2017

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yobgoblin posted:

lure them in with cards against humanity
No thank you

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I played 6 hours of cards against humanity with my ex gf and her family one day

I never want to play that game again

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's insanely hard to find a good group.

me and my friends used to play and it was fun but i wouldnt exactly call them a 'good group' because i was the only one willing to DM and also they would never really try to take it seriously which is fine but it was always 'can i gently caress the dragon lol. i roll to gently caress the dragon' every session

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I played 6 hours of cards against humanity with my ex gf and her family one day

I never want to play that game again

See for me personally, I don't have to be told that touching a hot stove will be ouchie

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

rediscover posted:

me and my friends used to play and it was fun but i wouldnt exactly call them a 'good group' because i was the only one willing to DM and also they would never really try to take it seriously which is fine but it was always 'can i gently caress the dragon lol. i roll to gently caress the dragon' every session

if he rolls a natural 20 you have to let him gently caress the dragon it's the rules

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

P-Mack posted:

if he rolls a natural 20 you have to let him gently caress the dragon it's the rules

I'm pretty sure he got it in. This was years ago though, so maybe he did not

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

are there any good ways to play DnD over the internet? i know there's at least several options but i remember them all looking like doodoo, but if there was one with a solid interface i think a pimp zone dnd sesh would be fun

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

rediscover posted:

See for me personally, I don't have to be told that touching a hot stove will be ouchie

to be fair, I'm incredibly retarded

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

rediscover posted:

are there any good ways to play DnD over the internet? i know there's at least several options but i remember them all looking like doodoo, but if there was one with a solid interface i think a pimp zone dnd sesh would be fun

which ones are doodoo so i know what to skip looking at. roll20?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

i'm runnin a D&D campaign online now and the only option that's not doodoo costs a bunch of money and takes a shitload of time to make look good. discord with roll20 for maps and the dice roller is the honest best option but its still not great

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you play cards against humanity you need to be killed

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I played Yedo earlier tonight and I was in third place most of the game but I was merely cunningly biding my time because in the end I killed the shogun.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

scythe is on the table for tomorrow. along with memoir 44 and dominion

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

just got in pandemic s2, castles of burgundy, codenames duet and a 3 dollar filler eminent domain game. gonna see if i can get people over on sunday to try out CoB after D&D probably, then do pandemic next friday

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

scythe is on the table for tomorrow. along with memoir 44 and dominion

i have scythe but still need to learn it. did you use a video or learn it in person?

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

i have scythe but still need to learn it. did you use a video or learn it in person?

i used rodney's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffMLIL5qGQg

and i also read the manual a few times. the guys i played with for the first time also watched the video, so we all had a decent idea on how to play

honestly the video is only 30 minutes, so if youre planning on having a scythe game day, make the people who are playing watch it before you all get together. it will help

Neurotic Roleplay fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 1, 2017

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Fungah! posted:

just got in pandemic s2, castles of burgundy, codenames duet and a 3 dollar filler eminent domain game. gonna see if i can get people over on sunday to try out CoB after D&D probably, then do pandemic next friday

castles of burgundy is good poo poo. take the time to organize it before hand, you'll save yourself some set up time

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

castles of burgundy is good poo poo. take the time to organize it before hand, you'll save yourself some set up time

I got this as a gift, punched out the tiles, then never found any body to play it with me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

and i also read the manual a few times. the guys i played with for the first time also watched the video, so we all had a decent idea on how to play

honestly the video is only 30 minutes, so if youre planning on having a scythe game day, make the people who are playing watch it before you all get together. it will help

Oh I'm Definately clicking this video feat. a game I couldn't of even made up a real enough story about being molested and the bespectacled millenial uncle who got molested.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I spent a couple hours with a friend I hadn't seen in like a year cause he was in a different state today and I got him to play a couple games of Chess with me. I kicked his rear end to the drat curb and now I got him playing online & practicing so he can get revenge lol. Playing on a physical board is 100x more fun than clicking and dragging online

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Wormskull posted:

Oh I'm Definately clicking this video feat. a game I couldn't of even made up a real enough story about being molested and the bespectacled millenial uncle who got molested.

I hope you enjoy the video!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

theres a statue in the background of two guys looking up a little girls skirt

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

scythe is generally not my type of game, but it was a gift, so i want to get it to the table if possible

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Playing my first game of dungeons and dragons with a fun group and super helpful experienced DM. It is loving Awesome.

Also I saw some dominion chat. I have the original version and love it, are the updated versions better?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tetramin posted:

Playing my first game of dungeons and dragons with a fun group and super helpful experienced DM. It is loving Awesome.

Also I saw some dominion chat. I have the original version and love it, are the updated versions better?

the expansions all add something interesting to the game. if you mean the expansion that 'fixes' a few core cards, then yes, that gets rid of the few weaknesses that base and intrigue had, and the replacement cards are very fun to play with.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

theres a statue in the background of two guys looking up a little girls skirt

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Holy crap it's true. lmfao

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Tetramin posted:

buy the upgrade packs if you already have the first edition

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons with a couple of friends and it's been great. We rotate the DM every session and I think we're all happy with that

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
just played a game of Terraforming Mars as a greedy corporate parasite that never actually attempted to terraform mars. almost won! :capitalism:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Gonna be playing some board games with friends tonight, to start the weekend off on a high note. Not certain what we'll be playing at this stage, but it'll probably be either They Come Unseen (game where one side controls NATO subs and the other side controls USSR surface ships) or the Battlestar Galactica board game.
Possibly also playing a little bit of Dominion and/or Nuclear War, if we have a short-ish amount of time after a round of one of the two first, longer games I mentioned.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Major Isoor posted:

Gonna be playing some board games with friends tonight, to start the weekend off on a high note. Not certain what we'll be playing at this stage, but it'll probably be either They Come Unseen (game where one side controls NATO subs and the other side controls USSR surface ships) or the Battlestar Galactica board game.
Possibly also playing a little bit of Dominion and/or Nuclear War, if we have a short-ish amount of time after a round of one of the two first, longer games I mentioned.

sounds like fun, Major. i've always wanted to play BG.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

sounds like fun, Major. i've always wanted to play BG.

Oh, it's great if you can get a five-player game going! (I haven't tried with fewer than that, but apparently if you play with three players it's too hard for the traitor, but if you play with four it's too easy for the traitor) Definitely worth trying at some point, I think - I've only played it twice so far and I've considered it to be worth the asking price already.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 15, 2017

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I bought streets of arkham expansion for mansions 2nd edition and splendor for my gf for Xmas

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
splendor is cool because you get to play with nice heavy poker chips. the box is way too big though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the version of splendor I got has flimsy lighter poker chips. I'm a little bummed about it out.

anyone play bored games with their family over Xmas?

• Locked thread