Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Monster Girl Recchan

Welcome to the third thread in a long and storied ADTRW tradition of sealing ideas form 4chan and pretending we're better, also known as the Convince Someone to Read a Manga in One Image thread.

Wonderland

How do I thread?

Participation is simple: post an image of a manga page you think would convince someone to read that manga. Include the name, and if you're feeling generous, a link to it on your favorite manga-stealing website.

The Hero is Dead!

Can I post more than one page?

Technically yes. Most people end up posting two or three consecutive pages. But remember, it's like golf: you only really win if you get it in one.

Inu Yashiki

Is that all there is?

Yup! That and lengthy derails. Just Remember:

Don't: hotlink
Do: Tag and spoiler your NSFW images
Don't: blame me if you get probated for your NSFW images anyway
Don't: keep posting images from the same manga over and over it's dumb and boring
And Don't: Worry. The worst that could happen is we make fun of your horrible, horrible taste in japanese comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hen na Nee-san

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
This post's theme: weird magical beastpeople raise children.

Totsukuni no Shoujo / The girl from the other side.
Shiva, a young girl who loves to stroll about in the countryside, lives in a vacant village with her guardian, a wendigo-like gentleman. He forbids her from going outside so she won't be cursed, but Shiva's curiosity makes her yearn for the outside world. What is this curse about?

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama / Somali and the forest spirit.
The world is ruled by spirits, goblins and all manner of strange creatures. Human beings are persecuted, to the very point of extinction. One day, a golem and a lone human girl meet.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome / The ancient magus' bride.
Hatori Chise is only 16, but she has lost far more than most. With neither family nor hope, it seems all doors are closed to her. But a chance encounter begins to turn the rusted wheels of fate. In her darkest hour, a mysterious magus appears before Chise, offering a chance she couldn't turn down. This magus who seems closer to demon than human, will he bring her the light she desperately seeks, or drown her in ever deeper shadows?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Otoyomegatari/A Bride's Story
Historical manga about the life of people in the Russo-Turkic regions in the 19th century, focusing on various young girls who are recently or about to get married. Imagine this level of artistic detail you see in the bread, but applied to basically everything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

coolusername posted:

This post's theme: weird magical beastpeople raise children.

Totsukuni no Shoujo / The girl from the other side.
Shiva, a young girl who loves to stroll about in the countryside, lives in a vacant village with her guardian, a wendigo-like gentleman. He forbids her from going outside so she won't be cursed, but Shiva's curiosity makes her yearn for the outside world. What is this curse about?

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama / Somali and the forest spirit.
The world is ruled by spirits, goblins and all manner of strange creatures. Human beings are persecuted, to the very point of extinction. One day, a golem and a lone human girl meet.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome / The ancient magus' bride.
Hatori Chise is only 16, but she has lost far more than most. With neither family nor hope, it seems all doors are closed to her. But a chance encounter begins to turn the rusted wheels of fate. In her darkest hour, a mysterious magus appears before Chise, offering a chance she couldn't turn down. This magus who seems closer to demon than human, will he bring her the light she desperately seeks, or drown her in ever deeper shadows?

This seems like a very interesting theme, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Magus bride and Somali at the very least are absolutely fantastic.

Be warned, both get very dark at times. Ancient magus bride is so from the word go, really, and the setting to Somali is real hosed up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
still don't see why a new thread was needed

Gantz came up in the last thread as apparently having gone down hill. How?

I looked a bit at it and it seemed to basically be blood'n'titties. That seems... Kinda hard to mess up?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Cuntellectual posted:

Gantz came up in the last thread as apparently having gone down hill. How?

I looked a bit at it and it seemed to basically be blood'n'titties. That seems... Kinda hard to mess up?
I assume he just wanted a new OP or whatever. I don't see any reason for it.

The people saying it went down hill gave it pass for how trashy it was from the start, IMO.

No judgments there - reading trash can be its own fulfillment.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Cuntellectual posted:

It really wasn't. Its just enough people were salty over Helck getting bad and I never get to make threads drat it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GANTZ went from enjoyable trash to incomprehensible, pretentious trash. That's it, that's why people say it goes downhill. There isn't any huge mystery behind it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lollin' at Gantz

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Gantz presents: Black people in Japan.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Mors Rattus posted:

Otoyomegatari/A Bride's Story
Historical manga about the life of people in the Russo-Turkic regions in the 19th century, focusing on various young girls who are recently or about to get married. Imagine this level of artistic detail you see in the bread, but applied to basically everything.

I've seen this recommended in various places for ages, and I finally got around to reading it! I shouldn't have waited so long. I really love period dramas in all media and this one is really exceptional. The art is really phenomenal, which is something pointed out every single time this manga is talked about. But I also think the character writing is really strong as well, and shouldn't be overlooked! I got really invested in their stories, really quickly. Even the 'perfect' character that I find annoying in other series, I end up really liking in this one.

Please read A Bride's Story!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
+ Tic Neesan

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Yurucamp

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
This post's theme: "People who see the supernatural (no tentacles edition)."

Furenai Koibito/Untouchable lover.
Youko has a protector in Shige-san. He has guided her, helped her, and always maintained a respectful propriety since she was a little girl. The difficulty is that Shige-san is a ghost, a poltergeist who only communicates with her by throwing small rocks to signal his disagreement or to show her what to do. But now that Youko is beginning to feel the first stirrings of young love, will Shige-san’s guidance help her find her true happiness?

Natsume Yuujinchou/Natsume's book of friends (has an amazing anime! very worth a watch, great voice acting, definitely did not make me cry into my nyanko-sensei pillow fifteen loving times a season!)
Without parents and a loving home, and constantly being hunted by hostile, merciless youkai, Natsume is looking for solace—a place where he belongs. However, his only companion is a self-proclaimed bodyguard named Madara. Fondly referred to as Nyanko-sensei, Madara is a mysterious, pint-sized feline spirit who has his own reasons for sticking with the boy.

Mushishi (has a good dubbed anime)
They exist in the most unexpected places -- be it within your eyes and ears, under the floor and roof of your house, or the trees and flowers in your garden. They are everywhere and yet nowhere at the same time. Are they alive or not? Perhaps it is more apt to say they are beings who transcend the concept of life and death itself... They are mushi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kengan asura is a real good action manga but the reason to read it is because everyone is friends and everyone loves yamashita

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 6, 2017

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

mike12345 posted:

They look like literal cardboard cutouts. I'm glad I did not remember that happening.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

mike12345 posted:

To be honest that seems like a reasonable reaction to the events of Gantz. :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

BIRDMEN

No, it isn't hentai.

But it's great and the MC is both likable and awful, which is a strange combination. I root for him but at the same time I hate him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

kengan asura is a real good action manga but the reason to read it is because everyone is friends and everyone loves yamashita

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

BIRDMEN

No, it isn't hentai.

But it's great and the MC is both likable and awful, which is a strange combination. I root for him but at the same time I hate him.

You convinced me, and it's pretty good so far, tho i'm not sure how to feel about them retconning the MC into some kind of manipulative child genius.

*in Christian Bale voice* I'm Birdman.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HenryEx posted:

You convinced me, and it's pretty good so far, tho i'm not sure how to feel about them retconning the MC into some kind of manipulative child genius.

*in Christian Bale voice* I'm Birdman.

the idea was that he wasn't always like this. in the first chapter he was an aimless and petty kid who didn't fit in, nothing more.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the idea was that he wasn't always like this. in the first chapter he was an aimless and petty kid who didn't fit in, nothing more.

Yeah and later we learn that "no actually, when he was 10 years old, he mentally crushed his bullies with a genius plan and extorted them, and everyone stood up and clapped"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I hope that Birdmen maintains the whole "protagonist doesn't stand a chance of getting with that girl" thing.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Tensei Shitara Kendeshita
A reincarnation manga, so maybe not worth your time if you're burned out on those, but I've been enjoying it since it splits its focus across the sword, the man who got reincarnated, and Fran, a former slave beastman from a tribe with a mystery.

From the latest chapter, just uploaded:

A note: if you're reading it on Bato.to, the way the different uploads of chapter 3 are labled means you're going to miss half of it. The first half (the one you're going to miss if you read through from the beginning) has Fran's motivations and is rather important, while the second half (which you'll skip if you start reading the first half of the chapter) has world building information and is also fairly important.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Onean posted:

Tensei Shitara Kendeshita
A reincarnation manga, so maybe not worth your time if you're burned out on those, but I've been enjoying it since it splits its focus across the sword, the man who got reincarnated, and Fran, a former slave beastman from a tribe with a mystery.

I like it because the reincarnated MC ends up being the support character for the REAL MC who is just a cute violent and bloodthirsty catgirl. Also the guild receptionist is entertaining.

I recommend reading it over on wakga over the usual manga sites. Scroll down to the Tensei Shitara Kendeshita section for individual chapters, downloads, etc.

It doesn't really pull punches when it comes to the violence. When someone's leg gets slashed with a sword, they're missing a foot. When someone's smacked in the back of the head by a dismembered limb that had been sent flying, well...

khy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 9, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Gantz presents: A worthy goon death

NSFW https://imgur.com/a/R4SLL NSFW

Gantz reminds me of what a japanese version of 1980's italian giallo horror/thriller could be. It's sleazy, brutal, sometimes dumb & boring, but every now and then there's a scene or a panel that makes you go "hmm this is brilliant". But I'm only about 60% through, so maybe the super-dumb and boring is yet to come (although the vampire sub-plot is definitely a test).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
missed that we went new thread

Shuumatsu no Laughter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mike12345 posted:

Gantz reminds me of what a japanese version of 1980's italian giallo horror/thriller could be. It's sleazy, brutal, sometimes dumb & boring, but every now and then there's a scene or a panel that makes you go "hmm this is brilliant". But I'm only about 60% through, so maybe the super-dumb and boring is yet to come (although the vampire sub-plot is definitely a test).

Bingo

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

mike12345 posted:

Gantz gets bad around the time you already passed where everyone dies and Kei has to get through the mission on his own, after that its just sorta aimless and stupid. It doesnt get obscenely boring until the end though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought the dinosaur mission was the highlight

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah that was definitely the highest point, though I still thought it was pretty decent for a while afterwards. I think it really started going downhill fast after the vampires disappear. The final arc is just embarrassingly bad.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Gantz

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bokutachi ga Yarimashita

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Tonari Booshi no Atorie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ccs posted:

Tonari Booshi no Atorie

great rec, this is a real promising/pretty series that i almost already like more than ancient magus bride

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

great rec, this is a real promising/pretty series that i almost already like more than ancient magus bride

Ancient Magus Bride is drat good though I'm less fond of the more recent 'adventures of suicidal girl with a messiah complex' so this seems like a pretty strong recommendation.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Saike Mata Shitemo

Froggycleric fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Froggycleric posted:

Saike Mata Shitemo

Groundhog day meets Re:Zero. I had a fun time with it, thanks