Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Let's Speak English
An autobiographical webcomic about a cartoonist from the USA who goes off to teach English in Japan. The mostly hilarious and always adorable reactions and interactions between her and her students ensues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Ok so I finished Gantz. I kept waiting for the dumb to disappoint me, but it never really happened. The vampire sub-plot was dumb, but that was about it. The ending with the ultra-materialist god-like alien race fits with the nihilistic destruction throughout the series. I mean it was always more about the ride than the destination, imo. Good poo poo. I recommend. If you like schlock, trash, humor, good drawings, action, and titties of course. Also repeatedly portraying rear end in a top hat characters is not easy to pull off, there's some interesting psychological characterisations happening in-between the massacres.

bye bye & domo arigato, gantz-san

ha ha indeed

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

One of my favorite parts in Gantz is when the finally get 100 points and they revive the stupid rear end kid who died early on since he seemed experienced and they found out he didnt know poo poo at all and they had more knowledge of the Gantz ball than he did by the time they revived him.

Also The entire wierd rear end subplot where the idol makes a second Kei and dates him and everyone just sorta forgets about it

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Meme Emulator posted:

One of my favorite parts in Gantz is when the finally get 100 points and they revive the stupid rear end kid who died early on since he seemed experienced and they found out he didnt know poo poo at all and they had more knowledge of the Gantz ball than he did by the time they revived him.

Also The entire wierd rear end subplot where the idol makes a second Kei and dates him and everyone just sorta forgets about it

Actually he did know something they didn't: Catastrophe.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Ao no Flag

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

OneDeadman posted:

Ao no Flag

I like the panel flow, but it took me a while to understand that's her hand in the panel, not his. (maybe?)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Btw, does anyone know manga with really good use of colorization? Tbf the only colorized mangas I've read were Akira and Dragonball, maybe it's just for high profile stuff idk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The colorized version of one piece is pretty good from what I've read of it. There's one two-page spread later on in the manga (during the marineford war arc, THAT one) that is extremely well done in the colored version.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

mike12345 posted:

Btw, does anyone know manga with really good use of colorization? Tbf the only colorized mangas I've read were Akira and Dragonball, maybe it's just for high profile stuff idk

ReLIFE does interesting things with both color and panel flow, since it's formatted for phone viewing.

Yuragisou no Yuuna-san has color chapters that come out a few days after the B&W ones. The colorization is always well done, if not particularly dramatic. The manga itself is extremely ecchi, though.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Danberu nan kiro moteru?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
No Gun Life

Manga about a guy with a gun for a head [???].

quote:

After the war, there are many "Extends" in the city, people whose bodies were modified to make them into dangerous weapons. Inui Juuzou is one of them, and he has no memories of his life and body before his head was transformed into a gun. Strangely enough, his head-gun is designed so that only someone behind him can pull the trigger.

The art is a bit rough but I think it does get better and suits the gritty world. The character design is reminiscent of Deadman Wonderland.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I only just recently found the name of this drat thing but it's got a solid first update.

Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Someone mentioned that in the last thread and I could not for the life of me remember what it was called. It's pretty great, at least at first. :allears:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
"At first"? Does it turn into a zombie harem or something? Asking not to be sarcastic or anything, but I've had this on my to-read list, and now I'm curious. :ohdear:

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 25, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Antitonic posted:

"At first"? Does it turn into a zombie harem or something? Asking not to be sarcastic or anything, but I've had this on my to-read list, and now I'm curious. :ohdear:

Have no fears, it continues to be so.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Komi-san is a loving great series with a ton of charm, humor, adorableness, and moving moments, but the MC doesn't really get much respect from most of the cast, and there's one particular character who's quite disliked by a fair number of people, so I know some people who've been turned away by that (mostly the first part).

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

RareAcumen posted:

Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu

So the joke is autism?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Pavlov posted:

So the joke is autism?

More crippling social anxiety. The joke is that everyone from the tough delinquent to the most normal normal guy to the school's idol are all actually huge dorks who just want friends. Except the yandere, she can go jump in a hole.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The other joke is name puns. Many of them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

warn me when they make a comedy with actual delinquents again, secretly a dork describes 99% of them nowadays, how incredibly overdone

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think the only actual delinquent manga I've ever read was Shonan Junai Gumi, and half the jokes in that were how nobody actually thinks delinquents are cool anymore.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Davincie posted:

warn me when they make a comedy with actual delinquents again, secretly a dork describes 99% of them nowadays, how incredibly overdone

You can always re-read Beelzebub. Or read it if you haven't yet.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Best delinquent manga is Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!. So if you haven't read that, you probably should.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sadly ive read them all!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

With an evocative name like that, how could I resist? Yet I'm still oddly on the fence about it. Perhaps another goon could convince me to give it a shot though some undetermined method. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Behold the stunning intellect of history's greatest monster:

The one, the only, Mitsuhashi Takashi

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
When pro wrestlers go to the bathouse:

(From Takako Shimura's Love Buzz.)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Mikl posted:

When pro wrestlers go to the bathouse:

(From Takako Shimura's Love Buzz.)

that's a very nice drawing style. non-hectic, relaxed, clean, a bit sentimental... pretty cool!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mike12345 posted:

that's a very nice drawing style. non-hectic, relaxed, clean, a bit sentimental... pretty cool!
Takako Shimura's style is great and she is also a fantastic storyteller, though her stories do tend to have piddling, aimless endings, the entirety is generally very good. Wandering Son and Sweet Blue Flowers are two of their other works I heartily recommend, someone else can pick pages for them since it's been half a decade since I read them and couldn't begin to recall good example pages for'em/don't want to go digging right now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

On it, chief

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ganota no Onna is still fun to reread. It has everything. Gunpla, romance, friendship, rivalry, parenting, business drama, truck.

Edit:

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 27, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

On it, chief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saCaZ3KvYgY

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Wandering Son [...] pick pages for them since it's been half a decade since I read them and couldn't begin to recall good example pages for'em/don't want to go digging right now.

There's one huge problem with Wandering Son: the official printings are no longer available except second hand at outrageous prices, and the scans are of very erratic quality, some heinously bad.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

mike12345 posted:

I want to like it but the apparent belief that kayfabe is real makes it very hard for me to read seriously

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mors Rattus posted:

I want to like it but the apparent belief that kayfabe is real makes it very hard for me to read seriously

I don't think I've ever encountered a wrestling story where that isn't true, it's pretty baffling frankly. You could get a lot of good drama over the backstage politics and booking decisions.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hel posted:

I don't think I've ever encountered a wrestling story where that isn't true, it's pretty baffling frankly. You could get a lot of good drama over the backstage politics and booking decisions.

Yeah, it's just easier to accept in comedy stories.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Well here's another one that's just starting off and it's a very good twist on the ol high school slice of life romancy stuff:

Don't bully me nagatoro:

If you couldn't guess, it's about a weeb nerd getting poo poo on every chapter. Sadly there's not too much of it around yet

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Everyone should read Riki-oh

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 6, 2017

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Everyone should read Riki-oh

Ugh, no thanks. I can't stand political stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Eldercain posted:

Well here's another one that's just starting off and it's a very good twist on the ol high school slice of life romancy stuff:

Don't bully me nagatoro:

If you couldn't guess, it's about a weeb nerd getting poo poo on every chapter. Sadly there's not too much of it around yet

Well, I guess everything else has been made into an anime fetish, it was only a matter of time until I too became one.