Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nathan For You is the funniest show on television. Similar to the styling of Sasha Baren Cohen, Nathan is the awkward nerd version that heads a faux reality TV show where he attempts to solve the problems of small business owners. Often these solutions are as cruel and unusual for the unwitting participants as they are hilarious. The participants get attention, we get to laugh, everyone wins in the end while the wizard of loneliness crafts a brilliant satire.

This show also supports holocaust awareness.

http://www.summiticeapparel.com/

Select Clips

Season 4 Preview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ9xBooAADM

Nathan meets women - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz6fGaXj7y0&t=126s

Nathan 'Bros out' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi-3eRMpOC4

My Favorite Episode - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNxvUrWQ_Q

Did any of yall watch the season 4 preview with Anthony Napoli? That man scares me.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Glad this show's finally back. This latest scheme seemed a little underwhelming and rushed, however. Would've liked to know what ended up happening with Paul Michael Richards. How long did he hang out in that hotel room handcuffed to nothing?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I saw Nathan at a Q&A near Philly a few weeks ago. He started his show singing Born to Die, showed a preview of the season, and then invited people to ask him questions on the stage. The first guy he talked to was a frat bro and Nathan's interactions with him were probably the most awkward audience participation I've ever seen. In other words, it was typical Nathan Fielder.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
New ep took ridiculously complex preparation for a minor thing to new levels. All that for one local news story was amazing. The staff all playing along was hilarious and the news man's line that this has not been verified was fitting

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
That special is really just an hour long episode. I feel like people skipped it because they thought it was some sort of clip show but it was probably one of the best yet. That Toronto establishing shot was amazing.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I love that his Ghost Writer friend's favorite movie is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. What a random loving movie to have as your favorite.

I also wish they would have resolved the loose plot thread with the bank robber. It would have been funny if the plan backfired and Michael Richards' card got declined.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Emerson Cod posted:

That special is really just an hour long episode. I feel like people skipped it because they thought it was some sort of clip show but it was probably one of the best yet. That Toronto establishing shot was amazing.
It was Vancouver

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/911674682545405957

Trillhouse posted:

I also wish they would have resolved the loose plot thread with the bank robber. It would have been funny if the plan backfired and Michael Richards' card got declined.
I have no doubt that we'll see Michael Richards again.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Trillhouse posted:

I love that his Ghost Writer friend's favorite movie is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. What a random loving movie to have as your favorite.

Everyone and everything on this show makes me gut laugh -- except for Austin, who is legitimately unsettling to me. I wouldn't be so weirded out by him if they never showed his impromptu erotica/romance spoken vignette in his interview to write The Movement.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Austin also seemed to be flirting with holocaust denial in the special. He is a weird dude.

I love any episode where Nathan has to find struggling LA actors on Craigslist. The terrible Ace Ventura impersonator and the Taylor Swift who couldn't sing were hilarious.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I also thought the special would be a lame clip show, was surprised when it was the best episode to date. Anthoi Napoli slew it in the special.

I've never seen a show hosted with such thinly veined contempt before.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Where can I read the Diarrhea Times?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
nick and norah's infinite playlist is a great movie but it being the #1 best movie ever for a 30-40 something man is what makes it funny

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Where can I read the Diarrhea Times?
https://twitter.com/nathanfielder/status/913832878470868992

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

[quote="“precision”" post="“476928603”"]
nick and norah’s infinite playlist is a great movie but it being the #1 best movie ever for a 30-40 something man is what makes it funny
[/quote]

And the fact he came to the conclusion that a nine year old movie is front page news.

I'd still love to watch a behind the scenes making of NFY to see just how much hard work is put in, and if everything truly does naturally work out in the batshit way they air.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I also thought the special would be a lame clip show, was surprised when it was the best episode to date. Anthoi Napoli slew it in the special.

I've never seen a show hosted with such thinly veined contempt before.

Anthony Nopolli is the distilled form of the type of person that's looking to get on this show. A desperate person who wants to move up a rung in LA using the show's exposure, and for that reason alone they will put up with anything Nathan dishes their way. The raw frustration from Napolli during his 15 minute free commercial was beautiful.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Anthony Napoli's comic timing is too good for him to be a pure opportunist. His performance in the special is easily the best part (although the joke "it wasn't just his penis that was getting soft" is an all time great for this show).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure Anthony Nappoli is completely in on the joke and his parts are scripted because otherwise "it was a mother daughter combo" becomes horrifying instead of funny

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm surprised this show hasn't got to the point where too many people recognize Nathan

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm surprised this show hasn't got to the point where too many people recognize Nathan

I'm not. I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guy they paid to change his name knew who Nathan was and was just holding back because he wanted the money, but the kind of people he "helps" don't strike me as the kind of people who watch abstract outsider comedy or whatever. I don't mean that in a bad way, but like, my grandmother wouldn't know who he is, nor even my mother. Hell my wife's parents are pretty hip (they're old punk/goths) and they've never seen it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Awesome. When the season ends....it always leaves me wondering if it is ever coming back. Considering the reality aspect of the show.....I can see why it takes longer to put a season together. Anywho.....brilliant show.....which makes sense since Nathan graduated college with really good grades.

Oh....and if anyone missed it....NF was in the HBO special 'Tour de Pharmacy' that was fronted by Andy Samberg. Funny loving mockumentary......and Nathan was hilarious in his scenes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

I'm not. I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the guy they paid to change his name knew who Nathan was and was just holding back because he wanted the money, but the kind of people he "helps" don't strike me as the kind of people who watch abstract outsider comedy or whatever. I don't mean that in a bad way, but like, my grandmother wouldn't know who he is, nor even my mother. Hell my wife's parents are pretty hip (they're old punk/goths) and they've never seen it.

I literally don't have a single person in my life who has ever seen this show beyond the people I've tried to recommend it to.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
They only get about 300-400k viewers an episode. It's frankly incredible that we have gotten 4 seasons out of Comedy Central. I'm just in awe of what Fielder pulls off every time. Can you imagine how hard it has to be to handcuff yourself to someone for hours without breaking once?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Enderzero posted:

They only get about 300-400k viewers an episode. It's frankly incredible that we have gotten 4 seasons out of Comedy Central. I'm just in awe of what Fielder pulls off every time. Can you imagine how hard it has to be to handcuff yourself to someone for hours without breaking once?

I can easily imagine how hard I'd get.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Remember 'The Ben Show' that premiered next to it? I feel bad because it was pretty good, but totally got eclipsed by NFY.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!
This show is infuriating in how loving funny it is. Just the absolute care that is taken to make every suggestion and moment as insane as possible, and I love the rotating cast of characters Nathan brings with him. It cracks me up every time they use that Santa Claus he worked with in Season 1, because they always use the ID shot of him pulling that huge loving gun out of his closet.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought they were going to do something with Guy Fieri when the owner talked about him

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remember 'The Ben Show' that premiered next to it? I feel bad because it was pretty good, but totally got eclipsed by NFY.

No I do not.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Propaniac posted:

No I do not.

For every good comedy central show there are like 12 ones that failed that you never heard of

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
The only Ben show worth a drat in Jon BENjamin has a van

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Nastier Nate posted:

The only Ben show worth a drat in Jon BENjamin has a van

The episode where Nathan Fielder (the sound guy) gets kidnapped is amazing. The ransom phone call is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Coaaab posted:

It was Vancouver

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/911674682545405957
I have no doubt that we'll see Michael Richards again.

Haha... I'll save this song next time I need to cut a city montage

https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/POPM-0002/POPM_POPM_0002_01701

Someone also scanned the issue of The Diarrhea Times

https://imgur.com/a/ryMK0

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 5, 2017

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Astro7x posted:

Haha... I'll save this song next time I need to cut a city montage

https://www.apmmusic.com/albums/POPM-0002/POPM_POPM_0002_01701

Someone also scanned the issue of The Diarrhea Times

https://imgur.com/a/ryMK0

lmao i assumed it was a katy perry song

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Loving the effort put into things not even in the episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYmrx4Efes

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
that healing wand guy is the reason I love this show.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

kibaces posted:

that healing wand guy is the reason I love this show.

I feel like you can make the show just based off of making absurd requests on Craigslist and filming the people who show up.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
With a weird sense of solidarity, Comedy Central decided to air the chili episode instead of the uber episode this week.

Not all streaming services got this memo however, and some aired the uber episode by accident.

A double serving of Nathan for me, this week. :cool:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

With a weird sense of solidarity, Comedy Central decided to air the chili episode instead of the uber episode this week.

Not all streaming services got this memo however, and some aired the uber episode by accident.

A double serving of Nathan for me, this week. :cool:

Which ones aired the Uber one?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Also what is the big deal with the Uber episode? Why not air it??

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It looked pretty terrorist-y from the previews, and the Vegas shooting is still pretty fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Not Chili
Chili

• Locked thread