Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kibaces
Jul 11, 2016

Beep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why was it published in 2016 on iTunes?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The intermittent beeping in that song made me laugh so hard.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
This season feels so different from the first two. The episodes in the beginning seemed to be Nathan coming up with a ridiculous premise in order to “help” a business. This season seems to Nathan helping a business, in order to come up with a ridiculous premise. I’m not sure whether I like it more or less. The complex, epic episodes like Dumb Starbucks or The Movement were by far my favorites, probably because they were so special. Now every episode is elaborate and epic. Not that I necessary dislike that, just making an observation this feels different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Womens Jeans posted:

Why was it published in 2016 on iTunes?

I'm assuming because the episode was filmed last year?

Great episode, and it's insane how often he's getting on the news with these stories and yet nobody hears about or remembers these news pieces. Also I would have thought he'd have gotten in a lot of trouble with Shell?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Have any of you guys seen any of the shows pranks first on the news? I'd love to catch the Movement or this band stuff on the local news before the episode airs

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Have any of you guys seen any of the shows pranks first on the news? I'd love to catch the Movement or this band stuff on the local news before the episode airs

I definitely remember seeing the petting zoo hero video before watching Nathan For You.

I also remember hearing about Dumb Starbucks before it aired, but I think the fact that it was a Nathan For You thing came out shortly after.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Dumb Starbucks was a big news story before it was an episode, like many months/a year before IIRC

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but the amount of straight up lies this season seem to be moreso? Fooling someone into thinking they're hired by Shell, or when he grabbed the wedding contact info while the person was away are all... almost crossing the line into legit con artistry to me.

That said god drat is this song & show loving hilarious. Fielder is a genius, may he make these til the end of time.

( beep )

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I'm obsessed with using "It's just a juxtaposition of words" to describe something meaningless

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Be a man and accept my apology

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Riptor posted:

Be a man and accept my apology

I can't believe that line actually worked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SlipkPIe posted:

I'm obsessed with using "It's just a juxtaposition of words" to describe something meaningless

That dude was the best. This show wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if it weren't done in LA.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

That dude was the best. This show wouldn't be nearly as good as it is if it weren't done in LA.

Why do you think that? The huge number of characters looking for some slice of airtime?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why do you think that? The huge number of characters looking for some slice of airtime?

Exactly that.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

RichardDunn posted:

This season feels so different from the first two. The episodes in the beginning seemed to be Nathan coming up with a ridiculous premise in order to “help” a business. This season seems to Nathan helping a business, in order to come up with a ridiculous premise. I’m not sure whether I like it more or less. The complex, epic episodes like Dumb Starbucks or The Movement were by far my favorites, probably because they were so special. Now every episode is elaborate and epic. Not that I necessary dislike that, just making an observation this feels different.

I'd say it's more than the earlier episodes had him coming up with a ridiculous premise in order to 'help' a business and then quickly executing the premise and getting laughs from it. Now he comes up with a ridiculous premise but then adds on deliberately nonsensical and/or elaborate elements to it in order to extend it to full episode length, and it isn't always that funny.

It all seems to follow the same pattern of creating a deception but trying to make the deception 'real' (having a 'real' Michael Richards, a 'real' Shell employee, a 'real' anecdote to tell at a talk show, etc.)

The anecdote episode in particular is one that was really funny but there really wasn't anything to it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The sensical elaborate elements is the best part

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

precision posted:

Exactly that.

To be fair though, LA is ginormous. LA County is roughly ten times the size of my home state. Whatever you're looking for, you can find in LA (except for running water. Not much of that.).

I would LOVE to see him expand his clothing brand to Armenian genocide awareness, for example.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, will Nathan Fielder be sued by Shell?
Claiming to be the vice president of the company. Offering a job on their behalf. Making the public aware of an error. Faking a public statement to a town. Framing them for theft of mental property. And for good but unrelated measure: circumventing the tariff code. Wouldn't wearing the company logo as part of the show already be something which has to be discussed first?
I really doubt that Shell would be very happy with that.

But, obviously it didn't unfold exactly like this. The speaker dude would have to be really stupid to let the company film himself during his resume, because he might become the employee one million. A quick search shows that they have about 100.000 employees.

But I don't want to dissect this episode to much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Shell probably decided not to do anything because it would make them look a thousand times worse than they already do.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'm sure he ran everything past Retired California Judge Anthony Filosa

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This one fell a little flat for me, and I think the shift people are describing in the show compared to previous seasons might be part of it. The owner didn't even pretend to be interested in his idea, so the hook for the insanity was pretty loving thin. If he really is dramatically misrepresenting himself to people without any kind of behind the scenes explanation for what's going on, this one did seem a bit ethically dubious, though the parts with Shell were definitely funny to me. I think my expectations for this show are just insane because its highs are so drat good that it makes me forget not every episode was stellar in earlier seasons either.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Sometimes the humor in the show comes from Nathan himself being ridiculous with people, sometimes it comes from the way the show is edited or narrated, and sometimes it comes from the people just spontaneously acting bizarre without too much prodding or intervention by Nathan. Over time the show has emphasized each of those more than the others, but I think the last type is always the best. Like the guy suddenly talking about drinking his grandson's pee.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

sometimes it comes from the people just spontaneously acting bizarre without too much prodding or intervention by Nathan.

The rebate episode might be my favorite thing he's ever done. It's so beautiful & human that a small group of people were more than happy to drop everything they were doing and just go camping with strangers all for ~$20.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lord Krangdar posted:

Sometimes the humor in the show comes from Nathan himself being ridiculous with people, sometimes it comes from the way the show is edited or narrated, and sometimes it comes from the people just spontaneously acting bizarre without too much prodding or intervention by Nathan. Over time the show has emphasized each of those more than the others, but I think the last type is always the best. Like the guy suddenly talking about drinking his grandson's pee.

I think the weirdest one still was the antique shop where the dude he met at the bar gets utterly plastered then starts bragging about how with something resembling regularity he DP's or Tag Teams chicks with his brother.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EatinCake posted:

The rebate episode might be my favorite thing he's ever done. It's so beautiful & human that a small group of people were more than happy to drop everything they were doing and just go camping with strangers all for ~$20.

plus the pee thing to put a nice lil WTF bow on it all. pretty much peak N4U

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008
Nathan was on Conan last night and it was simply genius. Since he already told the perfect story twice, he can’t do it again, so instead he pulls another stunt. Must watch.

http://splitsider.com/2017/10/nathan-fielder-brings-susan-sarandon-as-his-backup-guest-on-conan/

Also apparently this week’s asexual computer repair shop episode is the last one then the 2-hour finale. My brains not gonna be handle this.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Thanks for posting that, it was fantastic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha oh my god, poor Conan.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

RichardDunn posted:

Nathan was on Conan last night and it was simply genius. Since he already told the perfect story twice, he can’t do it again, so instead he pulls another stunt. Must watch.

http://splitsider.com/2017/10/nathan-fielder-brings-susan-sarandon-as-his-backup-guest-on-conan/

Also apparently this week’s asexual computer repair shop episode is the last one then the 2-hour finale. My brains not gonna be handle this.

Oh my god when they cut to the "backup" clip. gently caress that interview was great.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've seen every single episode and just now on the asexual computer repair saw the sticky notes jokes on the animated folder thing when the plan is introduced. Have those always been there? Am I going to have to go back to every episode? I am aren't I.

With the smoke detector episode though, it felt like they took a 2 separate segment show and mushed them together. Like one business is the smoke detector lady, then when that's done go to Nathan making a band famous.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, the smoke detector stuff didn't totally work for me, but gently caress that band was amazing

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SlipkPIe posted:

Yeah, the smoke detector stuff didn't totally work for me, but gently caress that band was amazing

If he had gotten like a DJ or a percussionist specifically to play the smoke detector and really ham it up, maybe compose a more upbeat electronic sounding song, he almost could have gotten away with including it in the band without turning so many heads.

But ofc gently caress that because then we wouldn't have gotten to see that competent, confident guitar player awkwardly sway around and try not to make eye contact with anyone in the audience. drat that poor guy just could NOT rise to the occasion. I mean, has he even seen The Cowbell Sketch? Get after it man!

I think the funniest part of that episode for me was watching the news coverage and hearing the fire alarm beeps in the background of their reporting. I wonder how many Los Angeles residents that tricked into going to check their own smoke alarms when it aired live.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Oh god nothing makes me cringe harder than when Nathan tries to set up Solomon. Covering my eyes

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Solomon has learned the power of negging . Dear god.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey this is an OK, but not great, episode of Nathan Fo- OH MY GOD SOLOMON NO

I have never cringed this hard in my life. Oh my God.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I didn't think the asexual computer shop would be that good. gently caress that animated transition from the dude jacking off to shaking someone's hand was so amazing.
Also SEXUAL INTRUDER ALERT!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
When the store owner had to describe what a sexually active person was to a customer, he went with a combination of words that was just the most confidence-killing thing I've ever heard in my life.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That episode was great. Sexual intruder alert alone justified the asexual computer store, and as everyone said the Salomon bit was one of the most awkward things I've ever seen. I really hope that guy's actually in on the joke and isn't as oblivious as he seems in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh good lord, I felt some pretty intense fremdschämen for poor Maria Garcia and her busted-rear end makeup. I'm not even very good at it myself, but :cripes:

• Locked thread