Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm on episode two and my trip report so far is it is super accurate. I grew up on the BC side of the border but very close to Alberta. Probably a bit further north than this show is set.

All the nonsense 'up north' that comes with companies bringing in crew workers to a small town with nothing to do but drink and do drugs is 100% what my town dealt with constantly, as well as shady tourists and a whole lotta bikers.

Also I get a weird thrill out of Christina Hendricks waving Canadian money around.

This show is very good so far. It took me a moment to settle into the tone it was going for and some of the shifts in that, but I'm digging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

I feel like you're basically looking at the show backwards. Whitey's reaction IS what tells us something about his character.

It's a show that starts out with all of the characters being very vague, and as the story progresses, the nature of their character is revealed to us.

It's not a story that presents complete characters to us and then asks us to watch them change. It presents us with strangers, who we form first impressions of, then as the story unfolds, we get to see who they really are.

edit, now that I'm off my phone:

A major theme of Tin Star is judging people by their actions without knowing the context of those actions. A lot of character motivations and relationships are intentionally a mystery at the beginning of the show. We see a lot of things happen without having a good sense of why. This isn't because the writers forgot to develop the characters and clarify their relationships for us, it's because they are forcing us to choose how to feel about these characters without knowing them very well. As the story progresses, things begin to fall into place.

If you were to re-order the narrative to give context to the characters and have their relationships clarified from the beginning, then it would be a really boring and bad show. A story is only as good as how it's told, and I think the approach used here is perfect for the themes of the show.

I'm on episode 6 atm and agree with this 100 percent. Loving the show so far.

I was considering the possibility of that Whitey reveal for several episodes now, and tbh it was satisfying as hell to have it happen at the end of the episode.

Also he is great. Hendricks' character and the Quebecois man as well. Honestly I'm digging the whole cast a lot, I want to see more of the bikers.

e: also this show hits a lot of places really close to home for me, and that's a bit of bias but also an awesome thing about the show. It's heightened for tv of course, but it pretty accurately depicts what life in that region of Canada is like, disgusting underbelly included

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 10, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Absolutely loved the show, but I have beef with part of the ending: why the gently caress did they have to cover up that they killed the security guy? I don't know what self defense laws are in canada, but I feel like a guy who threatened and stalked you and entered your house with a supressed weapon is like, a prime candidate for valid self defense. So instead of just saying "this guy chased us here and tried to kill us" they buried his body and blew up the house. What?! what did I miss that explains why they would do that?

Canadian self defense laws are pretty finicky. Like, say someone breaks in and you defend yourself with a handgun, you can end up in a lot of trouble since a handgun is supposed to be in a lockbox at all times and only removed if you're going to a range. Handguns are hella restricted. That said! They used a rifle/shotty, so ...

The situation you're talking about tho, they should have been fine. Especially with three witnesses to his attempted murder.

Granted with all the poo poo piling up around that family, and the beef against North Stream, it still wouldn't look good.

Also if you defend yourself with a knife in Canada you could be in hot water, as well. But many of our laws are vague enough to leave it up to the cop to decide, so there's a lot of factors.

also take my facts with a grain of salt b/c I am no law student

Anyway I finished this show and it is dope.

• Locked thread