Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

withak posted:

RT shoot, LT dash, Y switch, B big weapon, LB freeze

I tried this setup once (except LT was lock instead and LB was dash) and I have a 360 Afterglow. Maybe it's my freakishly long fingers but doing that loving crab hand for more than 15 minutes was horribly painful, so now nothing is on the loving bumpers.

My setup is:

- R Trigger: Shoot
- L Trigger: Dash
- B: Switch weapon
- A: Jump
- X: Special
- Y: Lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MEDUSA MERMAID YOU AINT SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

edit: The invisadash thing completely trivializes the theater fight :psyduck: I didn't believe!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

MEDUSA MERMAID YOU AINT SHIIIIIIIIIIIT

Missed opportunity not having her hair turn into sea snakes.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
This game owns.

The only gripe I have atm really (just finished the second island) is that I honestly think there should be a legit easy mode - like you get three lives and pop back up with full HP each time or something. Not because I want to play the game on it or think it would make the game better, but because I think the game has huge crossover appeal to all types of gamers bc of its art, music, and simple-but-snappy core gameplay and a lot of them will bounce off it because of how difficult it is.

I guess Simple is kind of this but it cuts phases/content which is a bummer.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Man the King Dice himself phase can eat a loving dick. He sends a bunch of cards at you that you have to bounce off all the pink ones but I always end up taking damage :argh: Sometimes its easy but there's one that feels like it's even past what I can jump-dash to. Then you have to start the whole roulette over again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dont mess with king dice

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
The King Dice stage is where I find the Invincibility super has the best use because of how long it is.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Cowcaster posted:

dont mess with king dice

Hearing that song for the first time was such a joy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have my controller set up like a typical SNES game, jump on B, shoot on Y, A for special, X for dash, bumpers for lock and switch. Works great for me.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Xaris posted:

Man the King Dice himself phase can eat a loving dick. He sends a bunch of cards at you that you have to bounce off all the pink ones but I always end up taking damage :argh: Sometimes its easy but there's one that feels like it's even past what I can jump-dash to. Then you have to start the whole roulette over again.

I kinda liked it because it was the only time all game I thought the Smoke Dash was a hindrance.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Please enjoy this article by a scrub: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/10/02/i-find-cupheads-difficulty-infuriating-not-fun

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh yeah I remember hearin' about this. They said (in a paraphrased but more whiny voice prob) "there's a good reason why final bosses are a thing of the past" or somethin'.

And what's worse is, isn't the Devil Himself easier than even King Dice? Like... if this is hard, the writer's prob a real life version of that one webm where the guy kept fuckin' up the dash.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This part I found particularly funny:

quote:

A much more pervasive and hard-to-forgive problem is that, very often, the hit boxes on enemy characters are not consistent with their visual designs. I only ever shot at the centre of enemies as I couldn't trust the outer edges of their character design to take a hit properly. A great early example of this is a dragon boss, whose ears look hittable - but shots just seem to pass through them without causing any damage. While the boss is designed as one beautiful whole, the areas you can hit seem to be confined to a rectangle inside of him.

Cause his point seems to be that it's weirdly inconsistent, but as a whole, it feels very consistent? Some bosses have things in their design where they can't be hit. The dragon's ears not being part of the hitbox makes sense to me? They're like two pieces of paper flapping in the wind, it makes sense the bullets would fly right past them. You can hit everywhere else on him. Or the bird fight, you can't hurt him if you're hitting the birdhouse around his body, only his bird parts. So like ??? Not once have I felt like the hitboxes of all things were out of whack, in fact I've been pretty impressed by how good their hitboxes feel. This is like complaining that the boat when fighting the pirate boss doesn't hurt it. Or that you can't hurt the parts of the cat in the rat fight that are in the background.

The game isn't perfect, I wish the health bar was visible during the fight instead of whenever you die for example. But the difficulty itself is NOT a problem. Outside of a few minor RNG things in some fights (the clown has been the only boss where I've felt the game was bullshitting me a little), the difficulty is all very fair and it feels loving awesome when you finally get that KNOCKOUT message. Also Super Meat Boy sucks compared to this game :colbert:

Also you can't complain about the controls and then end the complaint with "but you can remap all your buttons" completely nullifying that complaint in the first place :confused:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My one and only complaint about the game is that you can't sell back items to the shop, so if you pick some weapons you don't like well... you're stuck for pretty much an entire area until you can unlock a run-and-gun to get a new stock of coins. I'm on the first tier of the second island, and I want to buy a charge shot for the bosses but I can't because I didn't buy it earlier and there are no run-and-guns open at the moment.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Xaris posted:

I never once got that impression at alll. The only hesitation I had from the first run n gun gameplay/first boss video was that it felt and sounded pretty boring overall and maybe one of those art-first-gameplay-second games like Banner Saga (lol). I'm also glad I was wrong, I still have some minor nitpicks overall (looking at you parry scoring) but I enjoy the crazy art and the gameplay is actually pretty good and bosses well thought out, and really a lot of the run n guns ended up being cool like the ones in World 2 were good.

Everything about parrying feels bad and forced and it's my only complaint about this otherwise excellent game. I'm only on island two.

LostRook posted:

There is a coin hidden on each isle map.

I assume it's in the level 2 shortcut and the equivalent in other levels? I probably picked it up without noticing.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 4, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

Cuphead believes difficulty is automatically fun. But I don't really think the grinding this requires is fun. For me, a challenge has to feel smart and fair — I want to feel, when I die in a game, that it really was my fault.

He lists Binding of Issac as a game that totally follows all these principles though :regd09:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't know though, I kind of feel that some of the bosses in Cuphead might be bullshit. I tried the rollercoaster clown the other day for the first time, and the two things going against that boss are the first phase where he has an unpredictable fake-out rush that seems totally random, and the balloon dog machine. The dogs come out randomly and they slowly chase you, that's not a "pattern" to recognize that's totally RNG and you can get hosed by it. Same with the rollercoaster during that phase, it comes out randomly and depending on the dog positions you can get hosed by the coaster too.

e: Also boss "tells" are inconsistent. Hilda has the Taurus phase where the bull will do a few frames of a "rear back" animation before stretching out at you. But every so often it'll rear back, do the animation with normal timing and then do a second attack with either no tell or so fast that you can't see it. And sometimes the attack just comes quicker than the other times.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 4, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know though, I kind of feel that some of the bosses in Cuphead might be bullshit. I tried the rollercoaster clown the other day for the first time, and the two things going against that boss are the first phase where he has an unpredictable fake-out rush that seems totally random, and the balloon dog machine. The dogs come out randomly and they slowly chase you, that's not a "pattern" to recognize that's totally RNG and you can get hosed by it. Same with the rollercoaster during that phase, it comes out randomly and depending on the dog positions you can get hosed by the coaster too.

The first phase is really easy, he always stops squeaking and then you just jump and dash over his head. I'd never taken damage during that part. Also the coaster is very deterministic. If you look at the background, you can see the coaster coming towards you and as soon as it hits the tunnel it will pop out in the right side. The Dogs are kinda lovely tho I hated that phase the most for sure. I would say most everything is generally telegraphed via sound or some other signs.

E: that's not to say rng is never there, I just don't find it too bad with very few exceptions. My biggest issue with rng relates to the parry scoring system which sometimes you get really easy ones or game is stingy as gently caress.

It can be especially bad on run n guns where you need to maintain a quick pace to also get fast time. Or on the Bee level the bombs can spit out pinks sideways in ways that you can never parry covered in platforms and welp now you've dragged the cop out too long or you killed him too fast and now you have no more chances. There's also ones where it's no problem like the ghost train and others anemic as gently caress

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 4, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress this game, cute graphics and music can only go so far in balancing the tedium of playing the same level over and over and never making any progress against the random number generator. If the difficulty were in the 8-9 range instead of 12 then the game would be fantastic.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 4, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

loving christ the robot :psyduck: the homing missiles are SO brutal

edit: WHEW that was an intense fight on every phase!

edit2: The bee's purple triangle void... thing. What on earth

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 4, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Why is the robot on the same island as that useless mouse.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

withak posted:

gently caress this game, cute graphics and music can only go so far in balancing the tedium of playing the same level over and over and never making any progress against the random number generator. If the difficulty were in the 8-9 range instead of 12 then the game would be fantastic.

What are you having trouble with? What are you doing wrong?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just saw mugman's animation before a fight and what the gently caress???

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finished it and would like more immediately please and thank you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My main complaints are that so many of the powerups are useless except for a few, which are completely broken. Spread Shot and Charge Shot ruin most bosses, and the Smoke Bomb is the only charm you ever really need except in very specific situations. The Roundabout shot is only really useful for Grim Matchstick, and the Lob and Chaser shots are bewilderingly awful.

Also yeah, what the hell was Werner Werman doing on Isle 3? Dude put up as much resistance as a plate of wet spaghetti.

Also Grim himself drove me up a wall but I didn't mind it much because he's such an amiable chap compared to the other bosses. He's very sorry for burning you alive, what a sweetheart.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There are some weird choices they made in which island they go on. The rat is a good example, as well as the theater boss. I didn't find the mermaid boss all that hard either. The latter two were oneshot in fact. All of those felt quite a bit easier than the other bosses. I would've put the clown and candy princess on island 3 in place of those I think. The bee and robot are leagues harder than the other bosses on island 3. I feel like a lot of people would put the dragon in world 3 but I found him pretty easy. Beyond island theme matching, I'd love to see what went into deciding the order the bosses go in.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think Werner and Sally are where they are because of the urban theme of the island, rather than their difficulty.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
This game is tight af and is offering me the most exciting gameplay I've had this year. I'm getting that itch to A-rank everything I get with the best action games.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty much obligated to buy this game because my coworker is the mother of Chad and Brad Moldenhaur, two of of the main guys behind the development of cuphead.

Luckily the game's good!

EDIT I'm a big fat dope, the kid's names are Chad and Jared.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 4, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tell chad and brad's mom she scores major points for raising the people who made cuphead but they are only enough to break even for naming her sons chad and brad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

edit: it looks like the second guy is not named brad, but jared, i've caught you out on your lies, monaghan's coworker

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

edit: it looks like the second guy is not named brad, but jared, i've caught you out on your lies, monaghan's coworker

I was just going to edit that when I realised I misremembered their names but you posted too quickly!

Good thing she doesn't follow these forums...

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 4, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Y'all fellas didn't kid about the robot wow

Oxxidation posted:

Lob and Chaser shots are bewilderingly awful.

Lobber does crazy damage though! It has really good situational uses and it's also essential for the trick for switching weapons fast to increase the firerate, usually done with Roundabout and Lobber.

Chaser is a crutch though.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Eager to see Slowbeef's inevitable LP of this.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
gently caress now I can’t unhear «Cuphead and the government, they like to roll the dice» from the opening theme

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Just how many Final Fantasy VI references does this have

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

withak posted:

I'm 35 years old with awful reflexes, played this game while high, and still managed to finish it with less than 200 deaths.

The game isn't nearly as random as people are making it out to be. Every boss has a few attacks which they mostly telegraph way before they happen (and the ones they don't telegraph happen at predictable intervals, and you can anticipate them). If you're getting killed over and over, it's because you aren't paying attention to the cues the game is giving you.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Yeah for real nothing in the game has felt unfair so far except maybe the way the cloud movement can sometimes make the dragon boss' flamethrower attack undodgeable if you get unlucky but that only happened to me once.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's also worth pointing out that the sound design is amazing too, i've distinctly noticed how attacks all have explicit and noticeable sound cues, especially the incidental minion attacks that'll rush on screen independently of the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cowcaster posted:

it's also worth pointing out that the sound design is amazing too, i've distinctly noticed how attacks all have explicit and noticeable sound cues, especially the incidental minion attacks that'll rush on screen independently of the bosses.

I feel extremely nervous when I hear the dragon boss's fire minion jump sound.

• Locked thread