Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

precision posted:

e: ^^^ the palace where you get ooo la la party member

i think that one was probably my least favorite but mostly because the aesthetic is my least favorite video game level/world aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Playing Heat Signature and I love so much about the game. The risk and reward of tackling increasingly complex missions before retiring your hero, the off-the-cuff problem solving that takes advantage of the pause and slow-mo systems, the slow transformation into a specter of vengeance before taking one chance too many and needing to be rescued by the next batch of defectors. It's good and I wish the gifs from the thread would load in my iPad so I can relish in the experience from my couch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Heat Signature is indeed so good. At first I was a little turned off by the visuals (I still think they're pretty bad and messy) and how easy it seemed but it gets so great once you get enough gear to do the tougher missions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

Playing Heat Signature and I love so much about the game. The risk and reward of tackling increasingly complex missions before retiring your hero, the off-the-cuff problem solving that takes advantage of the pause and slow-mo systems, the slow transformation into a specter of vengeance before taking one chance too many and needing to be rescued by the next batch of defectors. It's good and I wish the gifs from the thread would load in my iPad so I can relish in the experience from my couch.

I just started and I would totally dig SUPERHOT-style real-time replays of your missions.

Also it's like this game is a total riposte to my assertion in the September thread that "All Real-Time with Pause systems are bad." Coordinating a team with this system (shades of Firefly) would be neat

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I didn't know that Heat Signature was from the Gunpoint guys, but once I learned that I instantly bought it.

Gunpoint is really good, y'all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember one time my sisters found out about the ghosts in the original sims so they took screenshots of the graveyard behind the one default house and saved it as "This is where Kite lives" and they'd save screenshots of the spooky ghosts and I'd get scared when I heard the tune that'd play when a ghost showed up.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Persona 5 is great but you should play 3 and 4 first because they are also great and you'll miss the stuff the later games add if you go through them backwards.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nothing wrong with wishing it was already October, it is the best month.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Persona 5 is way, waaaayyyyy better than FF12. Like it's not even close IMO.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
When you retire a guy you get to choose one item in their possession to rename and seed in your and your Steam friends' worlds. So now when I get something that's self recharging I pretty much immediately retire the guy, giving up everything else they've earned but letting me populate the galaxy with poo poo named "The Tireless Negotiator" (subverter) or "There Is Another World, There Is A Better World" (glitch trap)

I stayed up until 3am playing it last night and I anticipate doing the same tonight.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would name them like "geoffery" and "Hobnob"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVO8sUrs-Pw

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

Persona 5 is great but you should play 3 and 4 first because they are also great and you'll miss the stuff the later games add if you go through them backwards.

Also playing P5 first will ruin 3 and 4 since they are lacking in all the QOL improvements that 5 has.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe those things just mean p5 is a better game and you don't need to go back

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Telling people to play the worse games in a series first so they appreciate the changes in the new games has not ever worked.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Should I play the Dark Souls series backwards then or

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Telling people to play the worse games in a series first so they appreciate the changes in the new games has not ever worked.

People should play the good game first then go back and play the other good games because they're still good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you can play the souls games in any order because demon's souls is ancient and it's still one of the best ones

also persona 3 is pretty good and i like persona 4 but there's no reason to play them if someone just wants to play 5 cause they aren't really must-plays and the stuff attracting someone to persona 5 could very easily not be present in 3 or 4

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you like JRPGs you will probably enjoy Persona 3/4/5 and like every SMT game from the PS2 and beyond

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only thing that kinda sucks about p3 or makes it seem kinda inferior to 4 or 5, is no direct control of allies in combat. they improved it in p3 portable but then the cutscenes are bad in that one so there's no perfect version of that game

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive posted:

People should play the good game first then go back and play the other good games because they're still good

Yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play the games that you have interest in playing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

play the games that you have interest in playing
ah, zachtronics games and the entire illusion and KISS VR eroge library, shaping up to be a spooky october

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure TIS-100 is some kind of ghost/psychological horror story?

I don't know, I'm not smart enough to get past the tenth puzzle

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've been playing Persona and SMT games in a very erratic order and while sometimes I miss QoL things from the later games it's never been a deal breaker.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm pretty sure TIS-100 is some kind of ghost/psychological horror story?

I don't know, I'm not smart enough to get past the tenth puzzle
yeah the plot of that game is basically a haunted snes cart creepypasta. iirc you get a tis-100 from a yard sale or some poo poo and it turns out that its actually a spooky artifact from a parallel universe

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now you're playing with power

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wasn't liking saga 2 much so i decided to give frontier a try and it turns out it's way more badass

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

i wasn't liking saga 2 much so i decided to give frontier a try and it turns out it's way more badass

i'm not a boy, i'm riki, and i'm hands-down the worst starter in the entire game and my intro is basically a psychotic rng fuckfest

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monty Hall, the genial host and co-creator of “Let’s Make a Deal,” the game show on which contestants in outlandish costumes shriek and leap at the chance to see if they will win the big prize or the booby prize behind door No. 3, died at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Saturday. He was 96.

rip, one of the great Game Masters

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlqycwMQzbs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

People should play good game

yeah man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I respect your opinion on playing series but for me i'd just play the player friendliest one first and not get anal about it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

When should I livestream a playthrough of the first world of Gex?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mutata posted:

When should I livestream a playthrough of the first world of Gex?

At approximately tail time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

chumbler posted:

At approximately tail time.

:golfclap:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean, in the case of Persona, it's not so much about appreciating the changes, it's more about being distracted by lacking features. Like if you play them forward, you won't really notice anything wrong but if you play them backwards, all the way things have been streamlined will now stick out be make the game worse than it would otherwise be. It's not about making the later games better but more about making the older games seem better. It helps that the older games are usually way cheaper than the new one.

Unrelated, FINALLY done with Gravity Rush 2 and I'll never post about it again if you don't want me to but here are some final thoughts:

GR2 is aggravating because it has so much going tor it but has such constant and major easily avoidable flaws, that I spent have my time just not having a good time. The main problem, over everything else, is the combat SUCKS. Like, never at any point in the game is it fun at all. In the original it was simplistic and kinda bad but it didn't really get in the way that often. In this it's just constant and terrible. Like the controls never feel any good. Ground combat is the only version you have full control of and that's just mashing square with occasional dodge. Most of the time you can't use ground combat though because enemies are mostly in the air (and it doesn't help that enemies take like 10 times as long to kill with ground combat). I like the flying in this game but it is not precise and air combat expects you to constantly reorients yourself towards constantly moving enemies and it just doesn't work. Your air kicks have lock ons but they miss so often. There's nothing more enraging than losing a fight because you kicked towards a stationary enemy and then, despite the enemy not even moving, you just sail right past him. It doesn't help that enemies seem to attack you with cheap, hard to avoid shots all the time and will sometimes combo knock you over, making it hard to even move. You can also throw stuff at them but if it actually hits them is a crap shoot and it's always hard to tell what can be picked up and what can't.

The bosses are the worst part. None of them are any fun at all. It's just cheap hits, flying around spastically hoping anything will hit. Their life often drains far to slow and it all just feels wonky as gently caress.

New to the game are different styles and this just means rather than having one kind of iffy control scheme, you now have three. The normal one is like it was in the original, there's a floaty one that is WAY too floaty and moving an inch can send you like ten feet. Also it's attacks kind of suck (but it requires you to use it sometimes). There's also a heavy style that sometimes seems to make you move when you don't want to and just generally feels kind of ungainly.

The other major problem with the game is the missions. Once in a while you'll have something fun but more often than not the game just sends you from checkpoint to checkpoint, sometimes waiting a really long time to actually tell you where it wants you to go or, even worse, it will only give you a general area and expect you to find something though it often doesn't even make clear what you're even looking for. This leads to so much time just aimlessly wandering around just hoping that you somehow wander where the game wants you to go or the game will take pity on you and just tell you (which sometimes it never does). There are some more straightforward missions and these are mostly fine but way too much is the wandering around type.

Despite everything, I like this game. It's a bad game but I still can't resist it's charms. The best thing about it is it's presentation. The world is beautiful and it's fun to fly around. The music is great and the characters are charming. Even this isn't without flaws. The story seems to rush from plot point to plot point, just assuming characters are getting to know each other and form connections. So much happens in this games story. There are like three anime seasons in this thing and it just seems to want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Kat is a really likable character but the plot is odd in that everyone in the game is mostly awful to her, they constantly take advantage of her kindness and people seem to make an odd point to constantly tell Kat she's ugly. This all feels, at best, like an odd direction to take it and at worst like a planned way to endear Kat to the player by making it feel like you are the only one on her side.

Still, while I couldn't recommend this game to anyone, I still sort of enjoyed it and even liked the ending even if it seemed like they were going through a checklist of every anime game ending trope they could think of, even if the game hadn't built up to it that well.

Oh well, at least the one actually has an ending and it being this way makes it so I'm mostly fine with never getting another one.

tl;dr: Gravity Rush 2 gets a 6/10...maybe a 6.5

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I respect your opinion on playing series but for me i'd just play the player friendliest one first and not get anal about it.

It's not that the other game are user unfriendly, it's they seem worse if you play the later ones first. You will only really notice them as being particularly user unfriendly if you play them backwards.

I just think with Persona, if you end up liking 5, you'll probably like 3/4 and if you don't like 3/4 you probably won't like 5, so it doesn't hurt to dip your toes with the earlier ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah but not everyone wants to play 140 hrs of jrpgs before playing the one that everyone is talking about this year.

If someone really loves p5 they will probably enjoy checking out older games anyway. Like maybe your brain has you in a prison

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 1, 2017

• Locked thread