Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean, in the case of Persona, it's not so much about appreciating the changes, it's more about being distracted by lacking features. Like if you play them forward, you won't really notice anything wrong but if you play them backwards, all the way things have been streamlined will now stick out be make the game worse than it would otherwise be. It's not about making the later games better but more about making the older games seem better. It helps that the older games are usually way cheaper than the new one.

Unrelated, FINALLY done with Gravity Rush 2 and I'll never post about it again if you don't want me to but here are some final thoughts:

GR2 is aggravating because it has so much going tor it but has such constant and major easily avoidable flaws, that I spent have my time just not having a good time. The main problem, over everything else, is the combat SUCKS. Like, never at any point in the game is it fun at all. In the original it was simplistic and kinda bad but it didn't really get in the way that often. In this it's just constant and terrible. Like the controls never feel any good. Ground combat is the only version you have full control of and that's just mashing square with occasional dodge. Most of the time you can't use ground combat though because enemies are mostly in the air (and it doesn't help that enemies take like 10 times as long to kill with ground combat). I like the flying in this game but it is not precise and air combat expects you to constantly reorients yourself towards constantly moving enemies and it just doesn't work. Your air kicks have lock ons but they miss so often. There's nothing more enraging than losing a fight because you kicked towards a stationary enemy and then, despite the enemy not even moving, you just sail right past him. It doesn't help that enemies seem to attack you with cheap, hard to avoid shots all the time and will sometimes combo knock you over, making it hard to even move. You can also throw stuff at them but if it actually hits them is a crap shoot and it's always hard to tell what can be picked up and what can't.

The bosses are the worst part. None of them are any fun at all. It's just cheap hits, flying around spastically hoping anything will hit. Their life often drains far to slow and it all just feels wonky as gently caress.

New to the game are different styles and this just means rather than having one kind of iffy control scheme, you now have three. The normal one is like it was in the original, there's a floaty one that is WAY too floaty and moving an inch can send you like ten feet. Also it's attacks kind of suck (but it requires you to use it sometimes). There's also a heavy style that sometimes seems to make you move when you don't want to and just generally feels kind of ungainly.

The other major problem with the game is the missions. Once in a while you'll have something fun but more often than not the game just sends you from checkpoint to checkpoint, sometimes waiting a really long time to actually tell you where it wants you to go or, even worse, it will only give you a general area and expect you to find something though it often doesn't even make clear what you're even looking for. This leads to so much time just aimlessly wandering around just hoping that you somehow wander where the game wants you to go or the game will take pity on you and just tell you (which sometimes it never does). There are some more straightforward missions and these are mostly fine but way too much is the wandering around type.

Despite everything, I like this game. It's a bad game but I still can't resist it's charms. The best thing about it is it's presentation. The world is beautiful and it's fun to fly around. The music is great and the characters are charming. Even this isn't without flaws. The story seems to rush from plot point to plot point, just assuming characters are getting to know each other and form connections. So much happens in this games story. There are like three anime seasons in this thing and it just seems to want to get through it as quickly as possible.

Kat is a really likable character but the plot is odd in that everyone in the game is mostly awful to her, they constantly take advantage of her kindness and people seem to make an odd point to constantly tell Kat she's ugly. This all feels, at best, like an odd direction to take it and at worst like a planned way to endear Kat to the player by making it feel like you are the only one on her side.

Still, while I couldn't recommend this game to anyone, I still sort of enjoyed it and even liked the ending even if it seemed like they were going through a checklist of every anime game ending trope they could think of, even if the game hadn't built up to it that well.

Oh well, at least the one actually has an ending and it being this way makes it so I'm mostly fine with never getting another one.

tl;dr: Gravity Rush 2 gets a 6/10...maybe a 6.5

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah but not everyone wants to play 140 hrs of jrpgs before playing the one that everyone is talking about this year.

If someone really loves p5 they will probably enjoy checking out older games anyway. Like maybe your brain has you in a prison

Fair enough.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/914283845712842752

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Actually I think Gamers! is the anime you're looking for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chumbler posted:

At approximately tail time.

*checks watch*

:hai: It's

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

It's not that the other game are user unfriendly, it's they seem worse if you play the later ones first.

If they seem worse it's because they probably are. If you get into the series as a result of playing the new one go ahead and play the old ones because you might like them too.

If you want someone to have a good first impression of a series don't tell them to play the worse ones before playing the best one.

I have no opinion regarding how good Persona 5/4/3 is compared to the other ones. I'm stating this regardless of series.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 1, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I always play a series in chronological order

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I always play a series in chronological order

Proud of ya

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Release or narrative chronology

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If they seem worse it's because they probably are. If you get into the series as a result of playing the new one go ahead and play the old ones because you might like them too.

If you want someone to have a good first impression of a series don't tell them to play the worse ones before playing the best one.

I have no opinion regarding how good Persona 5/4/3 is compared to the other ones. I'm stating this regardless of series.

I mean, I'm saying this not regardless of series but rather I'm taking specifically about Persona because they're all really good and they all have their ups and downs regardless of which you play first. I'm not saying this as something general, I'm saying this in regards to Persona. Like the things that will draw you in are present in all the games and the things that will push you away are either in all the games or really all that noticeable if you play the newer ones first.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All that being said, my next game will probably be Tales of Berseria despite never having played a Tales game before so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I mean, I'm saying this not regardless of series but rather I'm taking specifically about Persona because they're all really good and they all have their ups and downs regardless of which you play first. I'm not saying this as something general, I'm saying this in regards to Persona. Like the things that will draw you in are present in all the games and the things that will push you away are either in all the games or really all that noticeable if you play the newer ones first.

Fair enough if you're applying it to a specific series you know well. As general advice I will always disagree with it though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All that being said, my next game will probably be Tales of Berseria despite never having played a Tales game before so maybe I'm just a huge hypocrite

There are so many bad tales games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if hank hill breaks or ignores the law because he gets angry, does this, by definition, mean that he is not a lawful character, but instead neutral or even chaotic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
a VR remake of SOMA would

- make me go out and instantly buy a PSVR
- guarantee i never sleep again in my life

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

There are so many bad tales games

Is Berseria one of them?

I have to level with you, I got it because I was told that the main character was just an angry rear end in a top hat that doesn't have time for all the dumb anime bullshit happening around her and that is very appealing to me, especially after just having gone though GR2

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Is Berseria one of them?

I have to level with you, I got it because I was told that the main character was just an angry rear end in a top hat that doesn't have time for all the dumb anime bullshit happening around her and that is very appealing to me, especially after just having gone though GR2

Berseria is arguably the best one. Get ready to be the villain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tales of Xillia is also a good one, I really enjoyed it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Graces F had a really fun combat system. I like how it communicated Asbel's strong desire to spin around as a disco man.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
velvet isn't really pissed off at "anime bullshit" or whatever she's just super hosed up and angry because she's basically had her entire life ruined by a dude she had a really weird family relationship with who is now the messiah of the world

lots of crazy poo poo happens in berseria and she develops to be friendlier to people but she never stops wanting to murder the poo poo out of the dude all the way to the very end

also there's not really anything wrong with playing berseria before other games because most are just kind of different rather than strictly better or worse, they change the combat system a lot. you'll only have trouble if you try to play like, vesperia, legendia or anything older than symphonia, cause the combat in those is just really awkward iterations on each other and abyss is the one that does that system best, and legendia is just a weird-rear end game that runs at like 20fps. also zestiria obviously but that's a weird case where the combat is actually just an earlier game (graces f) done way worse

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 1, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I like tales of phantasia

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I like tales of phantasia

hell yeah, especially the gba port

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well my impression want that she was angry at anime bullshit, just that anime bullshit keeps trying to happen and she has no time for it over killing people.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of phantasia is pretty cool on psp and has lots of funny skits, unfortunately in every other version of it half the game is spent watching spell animations

Well my impression want that she was angry at anime bullshit, just that anime bullshit keeps trying to happen and she has no time for it over killing people.

that's not really true either but whatever

berseria has plenty of goofy stuff but its paced away from the big serious moments

e; though i guess velvet does constantly act annoyed at people for goofing off during them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'anime bullshit' is a self-conscious goon way of saying 'a plot happened and i liked the plot'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I tried P3 as my first and couldn't get into it at all but really liked p5 on a mechanical level, so

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to tell all of your friends that you played an anime game and liked it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of berseria is a game with a good plot and interesting characters that happens to be made in japan so some people will be weird about it forever instead of just saying they liked it

velvet kills people and has a darker take on morality than a lot of jrpg protagonists which makes her interesting but the game isn't some 'heh OWN' on standard jrpg plots, or even a game where you play as the villain, it's just interested in characters who have been hurt and the hosed up ways those characters go about dealing with that hurt, and interested in showing those characters sympathy and giving them depth that a more standard morality-play plot (either western or eastern, since a lot of jrpg plots are influenced by western fantasy) might not allow them. velvet isn't really a hardcore villain or 'above' the plot going on around her, she's just a person who makes some hosed up decisions and those decisions have consequences but you can understand why she makes those decisions. velvet isn't even some edgy badass, she shows other characters sympathy and kindness at times and has sides to her personality that just exist for comedic effect or to emphasize that she's just a person. she's just a well-written character, there's no weird own on other jrpg plots happening there, and there are parts of berseria that are clearly influenced by either other JRPGs (The director loves Tales of the Abyss, there's some visual cues taken from Bloodborne) or anime/manga (A lot of the basic plot setup and the setting are clearly inspired by Berserk).

Berseria is a good game that I absolutely recommend people play but it's. A JRPG. it has a more unique plot and tone compared to a 'standard' JRPG but it's no more extreme a departure from the norm than some other Tales games, or, like, Shadow Hearts.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 1, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the fan translation for the sfc version of ToP was Epic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its october now, you can finally and legally post about scary games. I'm going to play silent hill and watch scary anime

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I forgot that I am going to play a lot of Friday the 13th: The Game, which is extremely spooky.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saying something is for "gamers" is one of the quickest ways to make me turn away from a product.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

Saying something is for "gamers" is one of the quickest ways to make me turn away from a product.

The good news is, you're right to be turned away because sword art online is an abomination

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

what about sord art online?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I heard the Homestuck game turned out pretty okay

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

sour fart online

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

CJacobs posted:

The good news is, you're right to be turned away because sword art online is an abomination

you're clearly just being weird about it because it happens to be made in japan instead of just saying you liked it :smug:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I heard the Homestuck game turned out pretty okay

Is that by Actual Standards or Homestuck Fandom Standards?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Is that by Actual Standards or Homestuck Fandom Standards?

does it really matter honestly? i doubt anyone who doesnt already like homestuck is going to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

you're clearly just being weird about it because it happens to be made in japan instead of just saying you liked it :smug:
thats uhhh not what i meant at all lol

saying something is bad = sure
'i liked this so i gotta point out that i dont like anime while saying i liked it' = weird

• Locked thread