Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

After winning NINE EMMYS for their work last year- and a brief run of Summer prime time shows- SNL returns for its 43rd season tonight! We kick off this run of October episodes at the tail-end of September, with returning host Ryan Gosling and the music of Jay-Z. October 6, Wonder Woman Gal Gadot and Sam Smith do the honours, and Silicon Valley's Kumail Nanjiani with P!nk finish the premiere run on October 13th.

And expect to see Alec Baldwin (shock!) He was on Fallon last night, making it clear he'd be somewhere in 8H tonight.

As for the cast... Vanessa Bayer, Bobby Moynihan, and Sasheer Zamata are OUT; Heidi Gardner, Luke Null, and Chris Redd and IN

HEIDI GARDNER

quote:

Somewhere tucked inside the 2001 yearbook for Notre Dame de Sion school in Kansas City you’ll find this prediction about Heidi Gardner: Most likely to be a cast member of “Saturday Night Live.”

That comes true this weekend when Gardner, born and raised in Kansas City, becomes a featured player on “SNL.”

She performs with The Groundlings improv and sketch comedy troupe in Los Angeles, which has been fertile hunting ground for “SNL.” Big-name Groundlings alumni include Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Kathy Griffin, Melissa McCarthy and Will Ferrell, according to Bustle.

She also writes and performs on the animated comedy series “SuperMansion,” produced by Bryan Cranston on Sony’s Crackle network.
More here.

LUKE NULL

quote:

Lakota East High School graduate Luke Null will make his debut tonight at the newest cast member of “Saturday Night Live.”

1. A theatre kid at Lakota East

Null graduated in 2008, where he was a star on the Lakota East stage, displaying his gift for humorous theatre in student productions at the local school.

The talent was there early, according to Lakota officials and his family.

Lakota East Theater director Rich Schmaltz described Null as a natural comedian who honed his craft through community theater after graduation.

“I am not at all surprised. Luke is living the dream he has had since he was a young actor,” Schmaltz said.
More here.

CHRIS REDD

He is best-known for his roles in the Netflix Chuck Lorre comedy Disjointed (absolutely terrible) and the Lonely Island film Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (very funny.)

quote:

In fact, Redd enjoyed a bunch of success on Netflix this year: he also appeared in two episodes of the Chicago-set romantic comedy Love (also from Apatow), two episodes of Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, and Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie. A native of Chicago by way of St. Louis who got his start as a rapper, Chris Redd came up through Second City doing sketch and improv, but he identifies primarily as a stand-up comic.

"I got better at improv and sketch quicker than I did standup," he admitted in an interview with SplitSider earlier this month. "I was kind of bad at standup for a while because I didn’t really know what I wanted to do. But now I know that I’m never going to quit."

He also got to perform a pretty successful Comedy Central Stand-Up Presents set, which aired just a couple of weeks before his SNL debut. With eight years of prep work under his belt, Redd looks poised to nail his first season on SNL.

More here.

In non-premiere news: On October 28th, at SNL's usual time, there will be a Halloween special, which the show occasionally airs. This time around, it's packaged as The David S. Pumpkins Halloween Special.

Oddly, the show is currently scheduled to run for only 30 minutes. After the show is a 63-minute version of SNL. This will probably change to just being a 90-minute Halloween special.

There is also currently SNL Vintage scheduled every week through the end of the year, except the weeks of October 21st and December 23rd. If this schedule holds, it'll be the most consistent airing of Vintage since the series began 3 years ago. Vintage airs at 10 eastern, 9 central as usual, but in mountain it airs at 8 (before the live show) and on the west coast, at 10:00 (immediately following the live show.) Tonight's episode still hasn't been announced.

And speaking of live shows, yes, NBC announced that coast-to-coast live broadcasts from last season are back, for the entire season! So rejoice, you Mountaineers and Surfer Dudes, you get to live the Live life.

Enjoy the show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Redd was the breakout in Popstar, I have high hopes for him on SNL. First 3 episodes look strong, and nullify my "Why is Wonder Woman's friend hosting, and not Wonder Woman?" query from last season.

Now that Trump has survived the summer, they need to ditch Baldwin and get a cast member to do it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Baldwin's Trump is neither insightful or funny. Peace.

pwn
May 27, 2004

"Vintage" is Lin-Manuel Miranda and Twenty-One Pilots from about a year ago.

Edit: The president's words have to be bleeped in prime time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm getting flashbacks to that most awkward rap ever in the monologue. I think I'll skip the vintage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'll miss Vanessa Bayer, she was an underrated cast member and I found her weirdly attractive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At least she's getting a fair amount of movie roles, I like her too. Something about the way she can't close her mouth.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Wasting no time

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FEMA Prime

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
This almost feels like it's too nice to Trump.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DaveWoo posted:

This almost feels like it's too nice to Trump.

It's hard to make the reality of the situation funny at this point.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Reality is more funny sadly.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Officially four seasons with the same opening montage, first time since 1990-1994

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I put Baby Driver and Drive on an even keel.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Nerlins.

Gosling broke early in the show. Should be plenty of corpsing tonight.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Jazz: The Blueprint.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yesssssss

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Welp, Ryan's dead this skit. No way he does not crack

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
First sketch of the season is a retread...good sign

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
The first sketch of the season, and they're recycling an old one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aw yissss best way to start. Better be a ton of corpsing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also, this weeks episodes sponsor is cigarettes. 'smoke em if you got em'.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

DaveWoo posted:

The first sketch of the season, and they're recycling an old one?

don't care, this is my favorite Kate McKinnon character

even though it is literally Lorraine from MADtv

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 1, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This character is always loving amazing

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gosling was losing it lol

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Poor Aidy, got her too

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Love watching them break.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Pantaloons are back!

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm glad this movie is still coming out despite Vince getting fired from it

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Here at Levi's, we heard if you're not #woke, that's bad. So we made these.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gosling is far too good at this character

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was great

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I like getting up to the musical performances.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Is Jay-Z going through a rasta phase?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol is that a black Kaepernick jersey

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

sportsgenius86 posted:

I only saw it for a second but I think it's a Marquette King jersey

Edit: nope, "Colin K"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"Jay-Z Flag Waver" is the job I never knew I wanted.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Toona the Cat posted:

I only saw it for a second but I think it's a Marquette King jersey

Nope, 'Colin K' on the back.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
holy poo poo those dreads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

It is, but at first I thought it was a Michael Vick Falcons throwback.

• Locked thread