Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

mewse posted:

All MMA news should be delivered by a raging semi-coherent Mark Hunt

gently caress yes

in fact that should be his full-time job because after reading that story/interview thing he did I don't think he should be fighting anymore :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Memento posted:

gently caress yes

in fact that should be his full-time job because after reading that story/interview thing he did I don't think he should be fighting anymore :ohdear:

That article is likely what caused this. You can't write a widely shared article called "why I will probably die doing my job" and not expect your employer to take steps to make sure they don't have that on their hands, it's bad PR.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm siding with the ufc on this one mark. even though your next fight is a guaranteed w with little risk of significant additional trauma, you can't say that poo poo if you want to work.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

quote:

markhuntfighter. I spent hours the other day with the doctors I was cleared to fight the interview I did with players voice was misquoted I don't slur my words and is a is a running joke between my wife and me my memory isn't that great but who remembers poo poo they dont want to not good @ufc @danawhite

quote:

markhuntfighter. "I'm disappointed that I have been withdrawn from the fight, I have passed all medicals 2 days ago. And spent 100,000 on camp. The truth is the legal case I have filed has caused me to be withdrawn. The interview has been taken out of context and want to reassure all my fans, I slur my words only when I have a drink I'm fit and healthy, and would have understood if the UFC requested a medical to ensure my safety, however this is total bullshit gently caress you Dana, you've always hated me you dog"

Didn't that article come out a long time ago? 100K seems like a lot to spend on a training camp.

Nifft fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 11, 2017

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hunt should start a podcast with Al Iaquinta.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Power of Pecota posted:

Hunt should start a podcast with Al Iaquinta.

And Baroni

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nifft posted:

Didn't that article come out a long time ago? 100K seems like a lot to spend on a training camp.

Published in early July but I think it only took off and got a lot of exposure last month.

And 100k is probably hyperbole but the cost of living in Australia is higher, I could see it being in the mid-high 5-figure range. Plus KFC is expensive as gently caress.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paying trainers + sparring partners + whatever other supports (nutritionist?) can get expensive at his level

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

mewse posted:

Paying trainers + sparring partners + whatever other supports (nutritionist?) can get expensive at his level

good point. Who would want to take a gut punch from Mark Hunt unless you're getting big money

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

I remember thinking "man Cain gives up like 40 pounds and 4 inches of reach to Brock Lesnar, plus I think Brock has the better wrestling, I really don't see Cain getting this".

Then he loving savaged Brock in under a round and I was a Cain fan for life. He's the biggest "one that got away" for me - if he could have kept himself healthier he could have been a dominant force at HW. Not saying he wouldn't have lost to Werdum, but he'd still be active as opposed to being broken.

:yeah:

I'd been saying Cain would demolish Brock for a long time to casual friends who love big muscly men and I had a poo poo eating grin on for a week when talking to them after what I said would happen happened

Iirc most pros were picking Cain too; it wasn't advanced science, especially after Brock's wrestling got stuffed by Carwin easily until Carwin got tired

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Snowman_McK posted:

They've both got common opponents, fairly recent ones, that one has beaten effortlessly and the other has decisively lost to. So, that's how.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Eddie Alvarez? Christ you are dumb.

Aaand they have both fought Nate. RDA beat Nate every bit as one-sidedly as Conor beat Eddie. The only way to determine who would win between RDA and Conor, therefore, is to have Eddie fight Nate and then apply math.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ROFLburger posted:

Does anyone know what the due process is for Jon Jones? What's next? I haven't heard much about what's next as far as hearing for him to explain which Gatorade had Turinabol in it or whatever

It took four months from the positive test before 200 to him being suspended. Considering this positive test was announced on the 23rd August, it could be Christmas before there's some action on this one.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I expect Jones and his camp will make every attempt to fight the test results. I would be more surprising if they didn't given the money on the line for potential fights.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Jon Jones is going to be found innocent. This is absolutely going to happen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah I think it would be a cool matchup. I wouldn't count either guy out. Conor is good at getting up but if RDA got him down I think he could keep him there

Is Conor good at getting up? What are we basing that on? It can't be the Diaz fights. I guess you could count the Mendez fight, but I don't know why you would.

CarlCX posted:

The most indicative thing you can say about Cain as a fighter is dude's a two-time heavyweight champion with two defenses who knocked out everyone he beat except Kongo, lost twice to champions and avenged one of those losses so brutally everyone forgot it happened, and the general impression of his career is still one of tragically wasted potential.

It's kind of the same narrative as Shogun or Penn. Great career, but what could have been, if only X.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Eddie Alvarez? Christ you are dumb.

Eddie Alvarez and Nate Diaz. You don't even have to watch fights, you could just go off Wikipedia. RDA easily trounced Nate, nearly TKOing him with leg kicks, while Conor struggled with him. Conversely, Conor beat Alvarez about as thoroughly and brutally as anyone has beaten anyone, while RDA got clipped by Eddie and finished early on. Just to make it even more annoying, both guys have extenuating circumstances for the loss. Conor had a late change of opponent (despite his bullshit about not specifically preparing for people, he absolutely does) and RDA hosed up his weight cut.

It's a fight that'll never happen because a thousand people will parrot 'he hurt his foot and pulled out'

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trast posted:

I expect Jones and his camp will make every attempt to fight the test results. I would be more surprising if they didn't given the money on the line for potential fights.

I'm sure they will, but testing positive for Oral Turinabol is a real smoking gun on this one. It's an incredibly specific drug to test positive for and because it was the big thing that East Germany used for their state-sponsored doping programs it's very well know to the testing laboratories. There's no other reason it would be in a fighter's system apart from "they're a dirty cheat". There are no pharmaceutical manufacturers of it, so the only way to get it is underground from dodgy Chinese research chemical labs.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Memento posted:

I'm sure they will, but testing positive for Oral Turinabol is a real smoking gun on this one. It's an incredibly specific drug to test positive for and because it was the big thing that East Germany used for their state-sponsored doping programs it's very well know to the testing laboratories. There's no other reason it would be in a fighter's system apart from "they're a dirty cheat". There are no pharmaceutical manufacturers of it, so the only way to get it is underground from dodgy Chinese research chemical labs.

Chinese Research Labs = Gas station dick pills, of course.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Memento posted:

Tainted supplements bro.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I am Otis posted:

Instead of being like Attack Mole who was complaining about talking about fights which is what a thread about UFC is about, what are some other fights that never happened that would have been cool?

I'll post some if I think of them but I'll let the big dogs post for now

Couture vs Fedor
Pettis vs Aldo
Charles Oliveira vs Shinya Aoki

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Tainted supplements bro.

Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away I've got to
Get away from the test where you watch me pee
The blood he shared
Seemed to go nowhere
Til DC lost the fight
Malki Kalwa tosses and turns and can't sleep at night

tainted supps

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I still want Oliveira / Holloway that doesn't end after 1 minute due to injury. I strongly feel we were robbed of a classic.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gay Horney posted:

tainted supps

touch me baby

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Couture vs Fedor
Pettis vs Aldo
Charles Oliveira vs Shinya Aoki

Oooh yeah randy vs Fedor would have been one. In retrospect it might have been like the last few secs of hendo Fedor but uglier and drawn out over several rounds

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Work Friend Keven posted:

:toxx:

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Jon's Friend Keven

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Speaking of cheaters did anything ever come from that tester being harassed by the cops when they went to collect for Cyborg?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Yeah he died.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fedor/Barnett times a billionty.

But ten years ago.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

I mean statistically speaking it has to happen someday.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

attackmole posted:

Man I can't wait to talk about hypothetical Conor McGregor fights, the MMA champion who definitely will return to the UFC to fight and not ride off into the sunset in a gold Lamborghini that shoots a hundred dollar bills out its exhaust pipe.

A guy I've trained with is currently sat in a caravan playing scrabble with Conor near the SBG. I'm not sure Conor is doing the whole rented Lambo thing 24/7

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Fedor/Barnett times a billionty.

But ten years ago.

Oh yeah, definitely

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Memento posted:

It took four months from the positive test before 200 to him being suspended. Considering this positive test was announced on the 23rd August, it could be Christmas before there's some action on this one.

Jones: I hope it's faster than that, I've been dreaming of a White Christmas
Reporter: Don't you live in Vegas?
Jones: :mmmsmug:

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's kind of the same narrative as Shogun or Penn. Great career, but what could have been, if only X.

Both of them have careers full of vaunted achievements. Maybe you should reread their wiki's bro.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

"Had a ton of promise, did a few cool things, and then got injured and never looked the same" is the normal MMA story.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
AJ vs Jones might have been cool.
Frankie vs Conor

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Sea Level Cain vs Werdum

(Such Great Depths)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CommonShore posted:

"Had a ton of promise, did a few cool things, and then got injured and never looked the same" is the normal MMA story.

There's another universe where Khabib is fighting TJ Grant for the title.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Unless the only metric you count for a good career is number of loses, I don't know what could have been better for Penn and shogun

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Shogun is in line for a title shot in 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm busting my brain trying to think how Penn or Shogun could have had better careers. Penn's biggest problem was lack of competition at 145/155 which made him do things like fight at heavyweight. Shogun even came back to win the UFC title after getting written off as washed up. The only thing there is to say about those guys is that they peaked really young.

• Locked thread