Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

Oh that was mindenhall. Russell is focused only on edmonton athletic commissions and abdelaziz

both responsible for the deaths of countless men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Work Friend Keven posted:

First off I'd like to say RIP to the victims of the deadliest spree shooting in American history, second I'd like to say I hope this doesn't impact me watching lightweights fight in glorious 480p on a Russian stream while I post "uhhhh nice tattoos IDIOT" in the game day thread.

This was funny.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The UFC going away from the PPV model would be nice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trast posted:

That would be nice, but I'd rather see them strike up a deal that lets them end geoblocking for TV cards on fight pass.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trast posted:

Surely it won't ever happen though, just because of those occasional monster cards. I mean, the next McGregor card alone is gonna be worth an insane amount of money on PPV.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Bardeh posted:

Surely it won't ever happen though, just because of those occasional monster cards. I mean, the next McGregor card alone is gonna be worth an insane amount of money on PPV.

Four mega cards a year with the rest of the stuff on TV would be a nice middle ground. I'm not saying it makes financial sense it would just be nice as a viewer.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
216 Embedded Ep. 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smAdTwjIGgg

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Trast posted:

Four mega cards a year with the rest of the stuff on TV would be a nice middle ground. I'm not saying it makes financial sense it would just be nice as a viewer.
Supposedly, there's a break-even point for the added cost of doing PPV and the provider not giving the UFC much of a cut until a certain number of buys. Small shows are often at or below this amount. Meanwhile, various sports bars are getting rid of PPVs because the small shows are worthless. And to top it off, fewer people watch a small card on PPV than when it's on free TV, so the fighters on the card get less exposure. They clearly don't have 12 PPV-worthy cards per year or even close to that amount. Fewer PPVs would be more special, and they could load the cards up enough that they wouldn't be ruined by a single injury.

I suspect there's a fear that they will look like they're shrinking if they cut back, but to casual fans the small shows might as well not exist, so I really don't see the harm.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ditch posted:

Supposedly, there's a break-even point for the added cost of doing PPV and the provider not giving the UFC much of a cut until a certain number of buys. Small shows are often at or below this amount. Meanwhile, various sports bars are getting rid of PPVs because the small shows are worthless. And to top it off, fewer people watch a small card on PPV than when it's on free TV, so the fighters on the card get less exposure. They clearly don't have 12 PPV-worthy cards per year or even close to that amount. Fewer PPVs would be more special, and they could load the cards up enough that they wouldn't be ruined by a single injury.

I suspect there's a fear that they will look like they're shrinking if they cut back, but to casual fans the small shows might as well not exist, so I really don't see the harm.

Last year their domestic and international TV deals earned 214 million. They made 236 million from PPV. Now that Rhonda is dead and Connor is on his way out a network might be able to get the numbered events. I think UFC wants around 400 million for their new deal but anyone paying that wouldn't allow any PPVs.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Ditch posted:

Sounds layman plausible.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

El Roncho posted:

Sounds layman plausible.

lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/915732612206886912

That's kind of a tune-up fight for Carlos.

Unless he's as done as some people seem to think.

edit: Oh man I fuckin' love finances and buyrates chat, let's do that for the next seventeen pages

:suicide:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Was it the Great Nick that said nobody wants to take Condit punches?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

That would be nice, but I'd rather see them strike up a deal that lets them end geoblocking for TV cards on fight pass.

This lead to the ridiculous scenario of a card in Australia being blocked in Australia for the first 48 hours or something. And it was that really fun one where everybody got finished and Louis Smolka won via "Half-Circle Forward+HK"

They seem to have relaxed it a little bit recently, though.

Memento posted:

edit: Oh man I fuckin' love finances and buyrates chat, let's do that for the next seventeen pages

This should be a fun fight. Magny's game and tough, and I honestly don't think Condit has ever been in a bad fight.

Even the Diaz fight provoked many thousands of words from angry Nick Diaz fans.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Luke Thomas said on his podcast today "There is some big news coming out about Luke Rockhold, in 2018, that is unrelated to his fight career, that I can't quite share. Really big news"
42:35 in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQcWBIjF14

Anyone have any idea? He's running for political office?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/915732612206886912

I think Magny has graduated from tuneup to threat to anyone not on their game. It'll be an interesting fight, Carlos' huge cardio advantage won't be there, but I suspect his offence is too good and varied for him to not be able to force Magny to slow down by landing and take over through that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

Even the Diaz fight provoked many thousands of words from angry Nick Diaz fans.

I thought that fight was good on its own merits anyway. Carlos wasn't landing 'human being punches' (as Mario Sperry would say), and he clearly knew exactly how to frustrate Nick. Clinical, except for going to the ground briefly later on (and I don't believe Carlos was in any danger of being finished).

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Luke Thomas said on his podcast today "There is some big news coming out about Luke Rockhold, in 2018, that is unrelated to his fight career, that I can't quite share. Really big news"

hes GAY

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

mewse posted:

Was it the Great Nick that said nobody wants to take Condit punches?

He said nobody wants to take Robbie Lawler punches cuz that's not good for your head. Carlos doesn't throw punches, just "spinnin poo poo."

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He has cancer

mewse
May 2, 2006

FishBowlRobot posted:

He said nobody wants to take Robbie Lawler punches cuz that's not good for your head. Carlos doesn't throw punches, just "spinnin poo poo."

Oh right I was wondering why I didn't remember him saying Conduit

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Neurosis posted:

I think Magny has graduated from tuneup to threat to anyone not on their game. It'll be an interesting fight, Carlos' huge cardio advantage won't be there, but I suspect his offence is too good and varied for him to not be able to force Magny to slow down by landing and take over through that.

yeah agree. to me magny being hungry and carlos not even 100% wanting to keep fighting isnt good for carlos

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Embedded ep 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIybD02e2Lg

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I hate watching legends like Carlos get killed by hungry fighters

It's cool when retired or semi-retired guys come back hungry like they were 10 years ago but watching condit getting smashed because hes been doing well in the gym makes me sad and I don't like it when it lets all the noobs say "he always sucked, couldn't wrestle, trained with gay greg jackson'

That being said, I want to watch Carlos Condit fight again. One of my favorites of all time

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are you kidding? Luke Rockhold is lacking in substance and knowledge, he would be horrible as a legislator.

Now, if we can just make that an actual disqualification to public office....

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Ditch posted:

Are you kidding? Luke Rockhold is lacking in substance and knowledge, he would be horrible as a legislator.

Now, if we can just make that an actual disqualification to public office....

hmm

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
He hosed another PA and got them fired

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Work Friend Keven posted:

THis guys got what it takes to go far in the irony game.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/915774425584168960

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Ah, he's been downgraded to medium tier for the following reason: said he was doing something because it's funny/makes people mad. Commit to the bit tony.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Alright I'm ready to see Tony get his rear end kicked now

Not that Kevin Lee's the guy to do it, but it would be nice

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I thought that fight was good on its own merits anyway. Carlos wasn't landing 'human being punches' (as Mario Sperry would say), and he clearly knew exactly how to frustrate Nick. Clinical, except for going to the ground briefly later on (and I don't believe Carlos was in any danger of being finished).

Oh yeah, it was actually a pretty good fight on its own. Even if that wasn't one's thing, though, the many, many angry posts were hilarious. Essentially, a bunch of people who love a fighter because he rarely goes to decision (I mean, he does, but their image of him does not) were trying to explain how he won a decision. It was great.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Carlos is going to beat up Neil Magny.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

I am Otis posted:

I hate watching legends like Carlos get killed by hungry fighters

It's cool when retired or semi-retired guys come back hungry like they were 10 years ago but watching condit getting smashed because hes been doing well in the gym makes me sad and I don't like it when it lets all the noobs say "he always sucked, couldn't wrestle, trained with gay greg jackson'

That being said, I want to watch Carlos Condit fight again. One of my favorites of all time

magnys just tall so he looks skinny. i wouldnt be so quick to assume hes hungry

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

big money big clit posted:

Carlos is going to beat up Neil Magny.

Maybe? If Condit wins it would be his biggest win since 2012.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
luke rock hold is either getting a bit part in some dumb comic book bullshit or is starting his own cryptocurrency. no in betweens.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

magnys just tall so he looks skinny. i wouldnt be so quick to assume hes hungry

Maybe I'm the hungry one. You've taught me a valuable lesson.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the real question is

who gives a gently caress about luke thomas or luke rockhold?
the only time luke thomas was ever relevant about anything was when jon jones said he wouldn't talk to him for seemingly no reason outside of the fact that he's luke thomas

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Now I'm torn. I'm a big fan of Ray Borg's Micropig.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the real question is

who gives a gently caress about luke thomas or luke rockhold?
the only time luke thomas was ever relevant about anything was when jon jones said he wouldn't talk to him for seemingly no reason outside of the fact that he's luke thomas

luke rockhold is really good at fighting, so i guess i give a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

I'm seeing double here

• Locked thread