Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ditch posted:

Supposedly, there's a break-even point for the added cost of doing PPV and the provider not giving the UFC much of a cut until a certain number of buys. Small shows are often at or below this amount. Meanwhile, various sports bars are getting rid of PPVs because the small shows are worthless. And to top it off, fewer people watch a small card on PPV than when it's on free TV, so the fighters on the card get less exposure. They clearly don't have 12 PPV-worthy cards per year or even close to that amount. Fewer PPVs would be more special, and they could load the cards up enough that they wouldn't be ruined by a single injury.

I suspect there's a fear that they will look like they're shrinking if they cut back, but to casual fans the small shows might as well not exist, so I really don't see the harm.

Last year their domestic and international TV deals earned 214 million. They made 236 million from PPV. Now that Rhonda is dead and Connor is on his way out a network might be able to get the numbered events. I think UFC wants around 400 million for their new deal but anyone paying that wouldn't allow any PPVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread