Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Bundt Cake needs to defend his assertion that LHW was once good and that 205 nostalgia is not just the product of once having an entertaining champion plus a handful of "name" guys who got famous knocking out tiny Japanese pro wrestlers

my first point would be that the guys from the last couple generations never got beat out of the division they just got old and their bodies broke. no new wave of fighters beat them until they washed out. only cormier, jones, and gustaffson seemed to separate themselves as having that talent level. cormiers just as old tho haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Neurosis posted:

I think Magny has graduated from tuneup to threat to anyone not on their game. It'll be an interesting fight, Carlos' huge cardio advantage won't be there, but I suspect his offence is too good and varied for him to not be able to force Magny to slow down by landing and take over through that.

yeah agree. to me magny being hungry and carlos not even 100% wanting to keep fighting isnt good for carlos

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
neither one beat the highest form of vitor so deep down i think both are b-grade champs

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

for like 10 years until 2016 vitor only lost to jones, silva + i think weidman and he very nearly got jones. its hard to say he wasnt great but when people say stupid stuff like everyone in professional sport is on steroids or other peds, i wonder why then do people like vitor seem to benefit from them far more than everyone else.

its how he lost. he definitively proved exactly where he stood. Every single vitor fight happened like this. A class talent whooped him. B class talent he had a real chance of KOing in the first round. Stuff below that he'd eat up. between the trash and the treasure. he did have a great career but he got caught roiding over and over and his peak happened before he was 21

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gay Horney posted:

Imagine getting a title shot you objectively don't deserve with the potential, should you win that title shot, of securing the single most lucrative fight in combats sports, and then missing weight for that title shot.

Lol

oh no im travis lutter

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
literally cut a pound off his body

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
also did he try resting his arm on the towel yet

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
barnett roiding is an integral part of hw history

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I'm busting my brain trying to think how Penn or Shogun could have had better careers. Penn's biggest problem was lack of competition at 145/155 which made him do things like fight at heavyweight. Shogun even came back to win the UFC title after getting written off as washed up. The only thing there is to say about those guys is that they peaked really young.

what if shoguns knees didnt break

what if bj had got the armbar on jens even 1 second earlier in their first fight? can't remember which round but jens tapped at the bell. also what if BJ didn't leave UFC

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
what if barnett didn't take roids is too big of a what if imo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

If shogun's knees didn't break he wouldn't have lost to Forrest, could have gotten the LHW title from Rampage, then got outwrestled by Rashad to lose it. Or maybe beaten Rashad and Machida before being crushed by JBJ

Too many what ifs with BJ, but I guess he could have been an earlier Anderson Silva type champ if everything had gone perfectly in the UFC? I think moving up was a big part of what made him great even when he lost and I don't think there's any scenario where BJ stays at 155 and in the UFC before 2007

I think BJ probably wouldve had some ups and downs as WW champ if he hadn't left, and as LW champ if he'd gotten the sub on jens or gotten the W against Uno. But I think hed have fought some more relevant guys. Its ballsy to fight Rodrigo Gracie if you're BJ but no one even really knows who rodrigo is now because he never fought enough to get the rep he should've had. BJ v machida and Gomi are great performances and curiosities but its mostly the novelty of those fights, cuz neither of those guys was an elite world class fighter when bj met them.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

vainman posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I also think fighting heavyweights is a better legacy then beating uno a bunch more times or whatever

A W over Pulver or Uno in those title fights and he'd have a lot better reputation. He was supposed to win them and he lost.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hughes, gsp, chuck, aldo, and anderson probably have the best reigns imo mighty johnson perhaps #6 :(

oh and jon jones, yuck

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Good thing hes fighting Michael Bisping

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
^^^dad mark coleman was still pretty good

Mr. Nice! posted:

He looks like a 4/5ths size chuck liddell

With short arms

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

freud mayweather posted:

in later GSP fights he was markedly worse at completing takedowns, because his shots weren't nearly as fast and he wasn't covering the same distance. he was getting takedowns stuffed by Nick Diaz, so he probably doesn't have a chance of taking down Bisping.

makes sense to me

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I can follow everyones explanations for why GSP is going to have a hard time but its mike bisping and I wouldnt be shocked if slower, less gas gsp wipes the floor with him

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

I think it is entirely possible that this will be a plodding bad fight and Bisping wins with a late and underwhelming finish.

if gsp gets worn out and bisping finishes him thatd be kinda cool

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i hope uriah wins. hes cool to watch

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Noctone posted:

Cody absolutely clowned Cruz and could've easily TKO'd him at several points in the fight, so I'll believe TJ has something for him when I see it.

Cruz and TJ are much different strikers. TJ has power that Cruz doesn't for one. Cruz tries to stick and move the whole time. TJs less elusive but just as disciplined. Generally I also think TJ adapts more to his opponent, where cruz is more about doing his thing.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
robert whittaker looks like he will beat up mike bisping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Marching Powder posted:

bisping is a way better technical striker than anyone whittaker has made look stupid except maybe for uriah hall who has his own set of problems. i said it when the fight might happen but if they fought i see it going to a close split decision.

i like whittaker in the fight because they both basically use hands 80%+(made up number) of the time, and whittakers showed a lot more diverse and sophisticated stuff IMO

• Locked thread