Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Bundt Cake needs to defend his assertion that LHW was once good and that 205 nostalgia is not just the product of once having an entertaining champion plus a handful of "name" guys who got famous knocking out tiny Japanese pro wrestlers

205 was once 'the marquee division'

Just because it kind of sucks now that Jones is dead and Cormier is 50 years old doesn't mean it was always poo poo. Machida vs Shogun dude!

I'm sure there were other good fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

Cormier is pretty good for a 50 year old man on steroids. Worse than Jon Jones though.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

little Frankie could win but I think Max probably picks him apart

I wonder how many fights Edgar has left

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Luke Thomas said on his podcast today "There is some big news coming out about Luke Rockhold, in 2018, that is unrelated to his fight career, that I can't quite share. Really big news"
42:35 in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQcWBIjF14

Anyone have any idea? He's running for political office?

He has cancer

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I hate watching legends like Carlos get killed by hungry fighters

It's cool when retired or semi-retired guys come back hungry like they were 10 years ago but watching condit getting smashed because hes been doing well in the gym makes me sad and I don't like it when it lets all the noobs say "he always sucked, couldn't wrestle, trained with gay greg jackson'

That being said, I want to watch Carlos Condit fight again. One of my favorites of all time

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Ditch posted:

Are you kidding? Luke Rockhold is lacking in substance and knowledge, he would be horrible as a legislator.

Now, if we can just make that an actual disqualification to public office....

hmm

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

magnys just tall so he looks skinny. i wouldnt be so quick to assume hes hungry

Maybe I'm the hungry one. You've taught me a valuable lesson.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

He's a whiny dick.

Sure but his fights are always good and he's ended almost every fight he's won

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

lol you havin flash backs?

lol he shouldn't have said that

Gonna get dunked on dude

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

Nerds are actually cool now so even if I had been a nerd - which I wasn't, I was a well known member of the jock community - it would actually be good to be one.

I'm not saying I wasn't cool before, because I was, and am, but I am now a cool nerd. As well as a jock. Which I have always been, and will continue being. A cool dude, I am

Like Luke Rockhold

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I'd imagine he holds it close to his other accomplishments, such as his chiseled physique and intimidating confidence. Not to mention he could beat your dad up

edit: and his massive fighting skill. forgot to mention that he's very good at fighting people

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Trast posted:

Jon Jones should take up video game streaming. He's going to have a lot of time on his hands soon.

I wouldn't watch his videogame streams but I'd watch his coke bender streams for sure

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

david carmichael posted:

I never liked him because he wasnt good at wrestling

;p

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Gay Horney posted:

Kevin's cool but lmfao if he weighs 174 right now

I weigh 374 right now

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

*fatly* It's me bitch

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah Vitor's initial onslaught was one of the many compelling reasons to watch him. I also liked how gay his hair got over time, culminating to me with that rat tail with a cross etched on the side of his head.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

at the end of the day, i'm gonna titty gently caress you

lol

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

sounds like a life saver

she must be a heroin

drat

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Rigel posted:

Henry Cejudo did not break his ankle, but he did get burns on his foot and he lost his 2008 Olympic gold medal in the fire

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/10/10/16453918/henry-cejudo-suffers-burns-loses-gold-medal-in-california-wildfire

That sucks. The Olympics should mail him a new medal.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I won a geography bee in 7th grade and I have the ribbon stapled to my penis

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

well done

:]

I lost a spelling bee in 6th grade and I have the shame stapled in my mind

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Trast posted:

Jon carries his belt at all times to do lines of cocaine off of it. A true champion.

He does coke off the women's boobs while wearing the belt. At least that's what he told me

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

His doctor should mail him some new foot skin and his homo wners insurance should mail him a new house and possessions and pets.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I can't speak for Jon but I like it when Ric Flair went WOO

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I wonder that. too. I hope he fights again even if it's in the bush leagues. He always does something cool in his fights

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

That really would be a cool fight.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

attackmole posted:

Man I can't wait to talk about hypothetical Conor McGregor fights, the MMA champion who definitely will return to the UFC to fight and not ride off into the sunset in a gold Lamborghini that shoots a hundred dollar bills out its exhaust pipe.

Why be cynical? Conor will probably fight again in the ufc.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Instead of being like Attack Mole who was complaining about talking about fights which is what a thread about UFC is about, what are some other fights that never happened that would have been cool?

I'll post some if I think of them but I'll let the big dogs post for now

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Hey Log

I wish Cain had a healthier career because I remember once he crucified Big Nog I wanted to see him win since he killed one of my heroes lol

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

A lot of cool matchups for Rory in the Fuckin ufc

For sure.

edit: I love a good beatdown but I wanna see him against the top guys. Maybe they could give him GSP as a tuneup fight...

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 11, 2017

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah I wonder if it was the fabled "AKA injury curse" or if he just got hurt a lot. What could have been

Him loving up Brock was definitely badass

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

attackmole posted:

Maybe in a couple years when he burns through some cash. It's such a pay cut from the Mayweather fight that I'm skeptical that he'll make the step back down to UFC paychecks.

Maybe in a couple days when you burn through your pay check you will maybe consider that Conor likes fighting, chose to do that because he liked it and was good at it and realized he could make money and will fight for his legacy instead of a step back down to ufc paychecks :]

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

attackmole posted:

Now this. This is my poo poo.

Yeh

This we can agree on

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

mewse posted:

Paying trainers + sparring partners + whatever other supports (nutritionist?) can get expensive at his level

good point. Who would want to take a gut punch from Mark Hunt unless you're getting big money

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Couture vs Fedor
Pettis vs Aldo
Charles Oliveira vs Shinya Aoki

Oooh yeah randy vs Fedor would have been one. In retrospect it might have been like the last few secs of hendo Fedor but uglier and drawn out over several rounds

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Jon's Friend Keven

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Fedor/Barnett times a billionty.

But ten years ago.

Oh yeah, definitely

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I'm sure other people have more examples, but the guy I think of who should have been a huge star and missed out was Barnett. UFC champ at 24, failed a drug test. He could have been a dominant and popular champ through the Sylvia-Arlovski years if he'd held onto the belt. Came just short in a really dirty fight for the 2006 Pride GP title. Lost his chance to be the guy to end Fedor's streak in Affliction because steroids again. Lost those fights to Browne and Rothwell in his second UFC run (not that I think he could get the belt against guys like Miocic and Werdum, but he'd be at least an Overeem-level star). And now he failed yet another drug test and will probably never fight again.

I agree about barnett. To me, Barnett is a what could have been who still ended up having a good career bc of the heavyfights get better with age thing.

Him and Fedor would have been dope. He was also good on the mic in a goofus kind of way and would attract the sword-weilding and magic the gathering crowd. I remember a vid of Josh doing a kettlebell-style workout using a fuckin mace lol

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

So true. Rumor has it his pee pee melted thru the bottom of the piss collector's cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Machida was awesome. I really would have loved to see him and Anderson fight.

• Locked thread