Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/913508642283954176
https://twitter.com/mattselman/status/913429181475651585

This is yet another Simpsons thread. Yes, this show is still on. This show has its share of ups and downs even after you stopped watching.

Save for one or two bad episodes, I thought Season 28 was solid. If these trends continue... AAAAAAYYYY!!!

"The Serfsons" will be the season premiere.
In a magical medieval world, Marge's mother is turned into an Ice Walker and the only way for Homer to afford the cure is to force Lisa to use illegal magic. When the King discovers this, he kidnaps Lisa, and Homer must lead a feudal uprising to save her. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau guest stars.

Bucking tradition of these type of episodes, it looks like this episode is sticking with one story, rather than having three separate ones for each act. At least I can't find any descriptions for other plots.

Go nuts with Frinkiac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Nice shout out to the Gelatinous Cube.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I'll admit "That's more than a lvl 10 giant spider makes in an entire campaign" got me :haw:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Nice shout out to the Gelatinous Cube.

Is this about the cat? It's about the cat isn't it?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The dried hanging corn by the window. The prank scroll. Sorcerer Intendent Chalmers.

I didn't really need a Simpsons D&D campaign, but now that the idea is out there.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I thought that was a fairly sweet episode altogether. Touching the right spots

Inkspot posted:

The dried hanging corn by the window. The prank scroll. Sorcerer Intendent Chalmers.

I didn't really need a Simpsons D&D campaign, but now that the idea is out there.

I refuse to believe that in the ~3 decades of simpsons, no one has made a Simpsons DnD campaign

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm surprised nobody else used feudalism as a surrogate for capitalism in recent memory to mock people's attachment to the system. I kind of felt the ending tried to backpedal too much from making any point, but I can justify it as mocking people's tendency to both hate the status quo and fear change.

Pretty inspired episode. I'm cool with the idea of more episodes effectively being one long THOH sketch.

I'm surprised to see Troy McClure as one of the heads.

The Coxie
Feb 14, 2008
Snappity snap, aw yeah!
Marge now sounds like what her mother did in the early seasons, and Marge's mother doesnt sound anything like what she used to. It was really distracting.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The premiere was a surprisingly not awful episode. It was funny, and not quite as pointless as I thought it'd be, especially with the whole feudalism = capitalism angle.

The Coxie posted:

Marge now sounds like what her mother did in the early seasons, and Marge's mother doesnt sound anything like what she used to. It was really distracting.
That, and Jaqueline's involvement both stuck out to me as more odd than the setting change. She's never been a big character for whatever reason, and her voice seems really off now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Springfield Splendor

Marge and Lisa turn Lisa's sad experience into a successful graphic novel-turned-Broadway show, but they struggle with creative differences and ego.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wow, that was....good? Like, not even "late Simpsons good" , but just plain good. I laughed real laughs multiple times! Glad to see the Simpsons can still do a good one every now and then.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that one was legit.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's really weird how the animation has jumped in quality since season 28. Martin Short's character was actually animated, and not at all stiff; Rachel Bloom's was really good too. I don't know what prompted the change in direction and quality, but it's very noticeable.

Besides the animation, that was pretty drat good. I'm hoping they bring Bloom's therapist character back, or just have her back as someone else, because she fits right into the show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That was fine. They had a few episodes like this the past few years, where one character creates a thing that gets life of its own and causes a rift in the family. The obvious one that comes to mind is "Angry Dad", but I there's been a few others. But I'll take it. Animation was good, and I liked the jab at convention speeches masquerading as questions.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked both episodes, thought the primer could have used more jokes about Medieval society being really terrible, and less Game of Thrones jokes, but over all it was great. The second though, was great. I loved the stuff about the comic book and creating it and the comic con panel was amazing.

The animation of Alison Bechdel dancing in Bechdel test FAIL cracked me up.

Echo Chamber posted:

Animation was good, and I liked the jab at convention speeches masquerading as questions.

Oh god yes. I've experienced all of those, nothing like having a real question and being behind a bunch of poeple who want to talk about themselves, some thing they have planned but aren't going to actually do.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Nichael posted:

The premiere was a surprisingly not awful episode. It was funny, and not quite as pointless as I thought it'd be, especially with the whole feudalism = capitalism angle.

That, and Jaqueline's involvement both stuck out to me as more odd than the setting change. She's never been a big character for whatever reason, and her voice seems really off now.

The premiere was based on the writer's mother-in-law making a similar choice to Jacqueline's when she was diagnosed with cancer. :smith:

Watching the premiere again with my husband, I really enjoyed all the background gags, like the potion labels in Hibbert's office and the various stores.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Whistler's Father

Homer discovers that Maggie is a whistling savant and launches her baby-celebrity career. Meanwhile, Marge impresses Fat Tony with her interior design taste, and he hires her to style his brothel.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Just caught up to this season and wow does the score sound weird with no Alf Clausen orchestra and a synth soundtrack instead. At least we got one more of his in this week's episode.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the episode. Kind of felt like Grampa should have been involved with the plot resolution more.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Treehouse of Horror XXVIII

Maggie becomes possessed by an ancient demon; Lisa discovers a creepy and perfect version of her family in an alternate universe; and Homer cannibalizes himself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The animation on the whistling was really good. Though that made it even more disturbing.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maggie becomes possessed by an ancient demon; Lisa discovers a creepy and perfect version of her family in an alternate universe; and Homer cannibalizes himself.

In addition, Fox will be airing a mocumentary about "Homer at the Bat," called Springfield of Dreams. The time depends on what NFL game you get: people with 1PM games get it right after that game, and people with 4PM games get it at 3PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rakj3zmCpXc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah came here to post about that, starts in 5 minutes for me on the east coast. Wouldn’t have know if it wasn’t for having the football on and catching a commercial, and the DVR wouldn’t have picked it up either.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
This is good.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

This was fuckin dire and awful, why did I watch this?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I only watch the Halloween specials anymore, and man does Marge's VA's voice get noticeably rougher every year.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Last Chance posted:

I agree. Pretty lame for a Halloween episode, they usually go all out even during lackluster seasons.

William Friedkin as a guest voice was odd. I know he directed the Exorcist, but why did they make him the priest? Max Von Sydow is still alive. Coraline spoof was meh. And the self cannibalization story was just annoying.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I actually found that third segment to be kind of disturbing and uncomfortable to watch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I actually found that third segment to be kind of disturbing and uncomfortable to watch.

I almost found it effective but then they kind of blew it with the ending.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the THOH episodes have been awful, I mean way worse than normal episodes ever since the end of the classic era. The only thing I can say this had going for it was that at least it succeeded in being at least a little disturbing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

J-Spot posted:

It felt a little try-hard-y to me, probably because they pushed the grossness (while going to great lengths to avoid actually showing anything gross, such as having Homer wear oven mitts through the entire segment) but the jokes weren't landing. It felt more like a Family Guy bit than a Simpsons bit except Family Guy would have taken it that one extra step and shown the grossness.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It seems like a lot of cartoons try to toe the line between body horror and humor by having occasional jokes/plots with limbs or parts of limbs getting cut off. I don't know if this can really be called a trend, but I've seen casually used more and more since like ten years ago. I know "Trilogy of Error" dates a bit earlier than that, but that was the exception, and it was a clever enough episode that I give it a pass.

I'm just not a huge fan of thinking about body parts getting cut off, let alone getting eaten.

I guess it was successfully disturbing.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Gimmedaroot posted:

I agree. Pretty lame for a Halloween episode, they usually go all out even during lackluster seasons.

William Friedkin as a guest voice was odd. I know he directed the Exorcist, but why did they make him the priest? Max Von Sydow is still alive. Coraline spoof was meh. And the self cannibalization story was just annoying.

That was Ben Daniels from The Exorcist TV series as the priest.

I thought Friedkin showed up as the therapist in the self cannibalization story.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That short was based on a short story about a surgeon getting trapped on a desert island or something, wasn't it?

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Type

Stephen King, go figure. "Lady fingers, they taste just like lady fingers."

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

We live in the universe where Neil Gaiman was a two time guest and Michael Jackson only one. I don't think that's particularly bad, just... a strange probability.

e:

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I think the THOH episodes have been awful, I mean way worse than normal episodes ever since the end of the classic era.

Whoa there chief, while they went to poo poo when they started parodying non-horror/thriller/sf movies, there were still segments that were better than some of their seasons.

Like, if IX or X is the start of mediocre Treehouse bits, there's still the Harry Potter, Great Grand Pumpkin, Dr. Moreau, War of the Worlds ones here and there.

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 25, 2017

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

J-Spot posted:

We were having dinner while watching that.

That one was the worst, but the coraline and exorcist thing were pretty bad too.

angerbeet posted:

That short was based on a short story about a surgeon getting trapped on a desert island or something, wasn't it?

Wasn't one of the early family guy episodes based on this too?
Or was that just coincidence?

mrfart fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 30, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Grampy Can Ya Hear Me

Grampa gets a hearing aid and finally hears what everyone has been saying about him. Meanwhile, Mr. Skinner discovers that his mother has kept the ultimate secret from him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It turns out that his mother is actually a random woman who stole her identity when the real Agnes died in the war.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
President Kenny Hitler!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Wooooow, an "Everyone Loves Ned Flanders" callback almost a quarter-century later...confusingly to fill time on an episode that had 3 unique (and mostly unfulfilling) plot threads.

Not a knock, though. It was a fun episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Episode wasn't great, but Skinner's plot hits a nerve. Mainly because I'm 30 now but I still think about mistakes and missed opportunities in college. Wished the plot had a real resolution.

• Locked thread