Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Terry Collins is gonna do some data entry work for the front office. You don't even have to pay much for data entry operators!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Congratulations to the Toronto Blue Jays who are, for the first time this season, not last place in the AL East.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hand Knit posted:

Congratulations to the Toronto Blue Jays who are, for the first time this season, not last place in the AL East.

WE DID IT

RIP Jose Bautista, I love you forever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

WE DID IT

RIP Jose Bautista, I love you forever.

Other things the Jays did: ended the season with 5 triples, an MLB record.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Pablo Sandoval hit a walk off home run for the San Francisco Giants to save them from losing 99 games on the year

what the gently caress even was this season

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

Pablo Sandoval hit a walk off home run for the San Francisco Giants to save them from losing 99 games on the year

what the gently caress even was this season
It was pretty inevitable considering how bad the Giants' farm system has been for a number of years now, and all of the core players are getting old

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Announcers in the Dodger game said Pablo's walkoff dong cost them the first-round draft pick.

Not as huge of a deal in baseball as other sports but still... what a season for the Giants

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Announcers in the Dodger game said Pablo's walkoff dong cost them the first-round draft pick.

Not as huge of a deal in baseball as other sports but still... what a season for the Giants
Tigers finish with the worst record in MLB. Which is pretty ridiculous considering how much talent is on that roster. Granted since the season started they dealt away Avila, Verlander, Upton, Martinez, and Wilson, but still..

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What's hilarious is the Giants and Tigers were in a battle for the #1 pick. The Giants had late game heroics, the Tigers played Romine at nine different positions.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Gallant baseball team continues to play hard and win the game even if its not in their best interest.

Goofus baseball team just says gently caress it, let's make a utility player play all nine positions in a single game for no loving reason.

e: drat, didn't even realize Tigers had the worst record until now. Thought we were at least doing better than the Phillies. Whelp, let the great tank begin :toot:

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 1, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tigers finish with the worst record in MLB. Which is pretty ridiculous considering how much talent is on that roster. Granted since the season started they dealt away Avila, Verlander, Upton, Martinez, and Wilson, but still..

Haha there hasn't been much talent on that roster for about two months now.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Haha there hasn't been much talent on that roster for about two months now.

You can take Justin Wilson out of the suck, but you can't take the suck out of Justin Wilson

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm rooting for the Cubs to lose so the GDTs will be readable again, and for the Dodgers to get swept.

By readable do you mean empty?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Popete posted:

By readable do you mean empty?

Someone could make a bot to Cubspost. Wouldn't be difficult, just give it a choice of excessive optimism or excessive pessimism, depending on if the Cubs are winning or not.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

Someone could make a bot to *INSERT TEAM HERE*post. Wouldn't be difficult, just give it a choice of excessive optimism or excessive pessimism, depending on if the *INSERT TEAM HERE* are winning or not.

That's the way GDT posting goes for every team in the GDT. There are just a lot more Cubs fans, so it's a lot more noticeable when we do it.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 2, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
https://twitter.com/astros/status/914658078204850176

So much for going to either game 😤

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Turns out it doesn't matter what the "real" home run record is, because Stanton didn't get either

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

Someone could make a bot to Cubspost. Wouldn't be difficult, just give it a choice of excessive optimism or excessive pessimism, depending on if the Cubs are winning or not.

Nah, they'll do both in the same breath.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

I may never be ready to forgive the Yankees for decades of AL East douchebaggery but you, Inspector_666, are a pretty nice all-round sort and have been a thoroughly decent baseball poster, so I wish you the joy of your surprisingly good 2017 team and their terrifying dinger-smashing golem, and while obviously gently caress the Yankees, also good luck to you in the playoffs.

In conclusion gently caress the Texas Rangers.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

shadok posted:

I may never be ready to forgive the Yankees for decades of AL East douchebaggery but you, Inspector_666, are a pretty nice all-round sort and have been a thoroughly decent baseball poster, so I wish you the joy of your surprisingly good 2017 team and their terrifying dinger-smashing golem, and while obviously gently caress the Yankees, also good luck to you in the playoffs.

In conclusion gently caress the Texas Rangers.

Inspector_666 posted in the Shield thread, let me post MLB threads in GBS and is an overall great dude.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Other things the Jays did: ended the season with 5 triples, an MLB record.

I believe I read that this is the first year the Jays failed to go over .500 at any point during the season since 1977, the year the expansion franchise was founded.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Speaking of teams and breaking records, the Indians finished the season with 10.06 K/9 as a team, which makes them the first team ever to finish with a K/9 at ten or higher.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Yeah, that's absolutely ridiculous. If I hadn't already bought the tickets I wouldn't even consider it. And I'll only be skipping a single class, think of all the folks who bought tickets and will have to try and weasel their way out of work.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

awwww yisssss

https://twitter.com/truebluela/status/914659373879779328

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants have never had the first overall pick, and won't in 2018 either.

I'm fine with the number two pick. I don't believe the number one pick is particularly important in baseball, and the Giants have done well in the recent past picking in the top ten (Lincecum, Bumgarner, Posey).

Plus the fact that 2018's draft order was decided by Pablo Sandoval coming back to the Giants and hitting a walk-off bomb is funny to me.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Blue Jays/Rangers got hosed this way in 2015 and 2016.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

shadok posted:

Blue Jays/Rangers got hosed this way in 2015 and 2016.

However it was a great excuse to stop working early in the day and just watch baseball at my desk.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just saw that Ned Yost defensively substituted for all of the Royals free agents in the last game of the season so they could get an ovation walking off.

Jesus Christ that doesn't bode well, not that I expected to sign any of them (and Hosmer is not at all worth it at his asking price). The Royals are going to be straight up awful next year, but I guess that isn't really news.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What's Hosmer's asking price? He's really good, hard to believe it's that outrageous.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
10 years, 200 million.

e: + that is, 200 mill+

I guess 20 million per might be worth it in some eyes? I'm out of touch with baseball contracts. But the length of the deal he wants, even if it comes down to 7 or 8 years, is a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 2, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely ridiculous. If I hadn't already bought the tickets I wouldn't even consider it. And I'll only be skipping a single class, think of all the folks who bought tickets and will have to try and weasel their way out of work.

Heading to stubhub as we speak

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, 20 million isn't bad but 10 years is brutal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Turns out it doesn't matter what the "real" home run record is, because Stanton didn't get either
I was getting tired of sportswriters acting like if he got 62 that would somehow usurp all of the others who have gotten more and are still in the record books.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

shadok posted:

I believe I read that this is the first year the Jays failed to go over .500 at any point during the season since 1977, the year the expansion franchise was founded.

And somehow they only get the #12 pick for this mess.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crew finishes 10 over .500. I'm sad we missed out by one game, but I'm very happy with the way the season turned out and this team has the ability to go places :unsmith:.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
N: John Jaso is retiring to live on a sailboat and wants to help rebuild Puerto Rico.
V: Godspeed you beautiful weirdo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
John Jaso is living my dream.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm officially going to the WC game tomorrow and I am extremely nervous and excited. Hopefully this goes better than when I was there in 2015.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember the little girl who got drilled with the foul ball?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/sports/baseball/yankee-stadium-netting-foul-ball.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=1

quote:

In his recollection of the episode, the father, Geoffrey Jacobson, described the horror of walking into a hospital room to find his daughter, who will turn 2 this week, connected to tubes and machines. Her eyes were swollen shut, she had multiple facial fractures — including those of her orbital bone and nose — and doctors were monitoring the bleeding on her brain, fearing that it might lead to seizures.

And on her forehead, he said, was an imprint left by the stitches of the baseball that hit her.

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Sounds like a pretty serious injury. Is she doing ok?

• Locked thread