Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
By WAR, the next closest is Matt Chapman of the A's, whom Judge leads by 8.2 to 2.7.

The NL is actually closer than I thought, with Bellinger on 4.0 and Paul DeJong on 3.0. Bellinger's still probably going to walk it because dingers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Both RoTY's are complete locks. If Bellinger and Judge didn't exist then you'd probably be looking at Benintendi or Matt Chapman in the AL and either Happ, DeJong, or Bell (who is somehow still a rookie?) in the NL.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Benintendi has had a good to very good rookie season: 20/20, good defense, good dance moves. He has not been even close to Judge's level

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who even has a case? Benideti has been ok I guess.

Jordan Montgomery!

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I mentioned this earlier. Braves GM resigned earlier today.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm glad I'm finally free of the Pirates for another 6 months, can't wait for to get rid of Cutch because god forbid we pay someone big money

John Jaso is also retiring in the most John Jaso way https://www.yahoo.com/sports/john-jaso-will-probably-retire-baseball-go-live-sailboat-145049851.html

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
A live look at Jaso, one day into retirement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UOWPvUwV8

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Yeah honestly I think Altuve ever so slightly edges Judge out simply on the basis of his performance being consistent vs Judge's on/off/on every two months, but if Judge ends up winning the MVP I wouldn't be outraged or anything.

Speaking of consistency, in Adrian Beltre's career as a Ranger (2011-2017) he's had exactly one stolen base per season. No more, no less.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

A live look at Jaso, one day into retirement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UOWPvUwV8

This looks about right except he's actually 1500 miles out to sea.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Now that Coppolella is out apparently everybody in baseball is lining up to give him a good kicking, sounds like a total bastard. (I'm sure Dave Stewart in particular was glad to give anonymous quotes.)

Be nice if they just cleared out the front office and severed ties with Schuerholz and Cox at long last, but the Braves are at heart a tax dodge run by a faceless, soulless media entity so who know. I hope they don't lose Maitan but I'm obviously never optimistic.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sorry Cleveland fans, looks like you guys are hosed this year

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/914921736398888963

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oh gently caress they might bring Dayton Moore back.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I don't know which is more unlikely, the Red Sox to win it all or the Twins to win the WC game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know which is more unlikely, the Red Sox to win it all or the Twins to win the WC game.

The Red Sox because a one game playoff is a coinflip

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I still can't figure out how much of this is legit trouble, how much is shady stuff everyone does and complains about only when they lose out, and how much is just totally ignoring bullshit unspoken rules. https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/914990524490293251

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The bundling is a big big deal, and if there's any actual evidence of loving with the domestic draft, they're losing a lot of prospects.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

quote:

It dovetails with Coppolella’s modus operandi as GM, in which his assertiveness – multiple GMs still recoil at the 2,000-plus word text messages he has sent – soured them.
tfw when bae texts u 2000 words?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

This may just kill baseball for me. The Braves are already bad and have a horrible TV deal with a terrible "owner", and the only hope was at least they were rebuilding well. And now that may be undercut depending on how bad the punishment is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLB is looking into who was paying for Maitan to live in the US for 2 months prior to when he was allowed to sign with the Braves. If the team did pay for any of his expenses he could be deemed a free agent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/mlb-investigating-braves-kevin-maitan-signing.html

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

bawfuls posted:

LOL look at that complete Red Sox Homer.

On another note MLB should sell the Braves to new owners, change the name in one fell swoop.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Eltoasto posted:

This may just kill baseball for me. The Braves are already bad and have a horrible TV deal with a terrible "owner", and the only hope was at least they were rebuilding well. And now that may be undercut depending on how bad the punishment is.

The Yankees are good root for them

Accident Underwater fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 3, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i see arizona is officially the popular undeerrated option this year. i actually do think they have a really goos chance

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I don't think I'd even bother watching a Boston/LA World Series

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

Same, also Boston/Chicago.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

it's ok, I'll watch it for you

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is it just me or is boston not scary at all? sale is sale, and kimbrel if you can get to him, but they're really the only massive weapons. they're beat up and not all that scary offensively

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I agree with the general consensus that the Red Sox are going to get creamed by the Astros. Granted, I'm also in agreement that the Cubs are probably going to get creamed by the Nats.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are going to win at baseball.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Abel Wingnut posted:

is it just me or is boston not scary at all? sale is sale, and kimbrel if you can get to him, but they're really the only massive weapons. they're beat up and not all that scary offensively

They seem the most complete team second to only the Cleveland team in the AL. I like their rotation over yankees/twins/astros.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Abel Wingnut posted:

They're a long shot, but you can make a case for them. If the B's get on track offensively, the bullpen is as strong as anyone with Price, Reed, and with their running and defense, they can do some damage.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

time to make some empirical predictions on the baseball playoffs and then remember that 5 and 7 game series are basically lottery balls

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gently caress the Braves. With the Marlins sale almost done, they're the most corrupt org in baseball. From the way they screwed taxpayers in every city/county that has built a stadium for them to the fact that Coppy got caught breaking some of the very rules the Braves have been pushing for a long time... what a loving joke of an org. I hope they win 70 games for the next decade and get moved to New Jersey.

....also, does anyone want to split an MLB.TV playoffs account, because I'm too lazy to set one up?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 3, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

howe_sam posted:

They're a long shot, but you can make a case for them. If the B's get on track offensively, the bullpen is as strong as anyone with Price, Reed, and with their running and defense, they can do some damage.

Basically this. If you don't score on the Sox early, you won't get a chance later with that bullpen. And since the Astros bats have a penchant for sleeping until the 5th...

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

time to make some empirical predictions on the baseball playoffs and then remember that 5 and 7 game series are basically lottery balls
This. Nothing is assured, anything can happen, because it's postseason baseball.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope the Red Sox get the poo poo kicked out of them and they fire John Farrell and hire Brad Ausmus and that the Yankees lose the WC game and they fire Joe Girardi and Hank starts pulling strings again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

tadashi posted:

....also, does anyone want to split an MLB.TV playoffs account because I'm too lazy to set one up?

Does mlb.tv blackout playoff ball?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Der Meister posted:

Sounds like a pretty serious injury. Is she doing ok?

She isn't hurting nearly as bad as the old white dudes that are Real Mad Online that they might have to watch baseball ~*through a net*~ in the future.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Does mlb.tv blackout playoff ball?
In the US, yes they do.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Go Cubs. After they get mopped by the Nats, go Nats.

gently caress the Yankees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

bawfuls posted:

In the US, yes they do.

Yeah I'm looking through the verified list of cable subscribers and my local isn't on it. Why the gently caress do they have to be such huge dicks about this. Take my money baseball. I want you to have it. But you're not getting it if I can't watch ball

• Locked thread