Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
1. First pick goes to the Nationals
2. Undisputed champion team, Arizona Diamondbacks
3. Cleavland
4. Kolorado
5. Twins
6. Houston
7. Everybody's favorite, the Dodgers
8. You guessed it, Boston Red Sox
9. Astros
10. Nationals again
11. Kubs
12. Etc.
13. Etc.
14. Suck it, Yanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Gallant baseball team continues to play hard and win the game even if its not in their best interest.

Goofus baseball team just says gently caress it, let's make a utility player play all nine positions in a single game for no loving reason.

e: drat, didn't even realize Tigers had the worst record until now. Thought we were at least doing better than the Phillies. Whelp, let the great tank begin :toot:

Comptroll The Forums fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 1, 2017

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Armitage posted:

:siren: Dan Warthen and Ray Ramirez are GONE :siren: :hellyeah: :woop:

https://twitter.com/adamrubinmedia/status/915210392657387521

hopefully this means Warthen will be cleaning the bathrooms at citifield. Not 100% sold on retaining the training and medical staff but hopefully someone will come in and whip them into shape.

Using whips to get the players into shape? Sounds like the Mets all right.

The beatings will continue until health improves :whip:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Verlander/Sale, a great post season match-up between two of the best AL central... oh, wait :smith:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I guess I can look forward to another week of "gently caress the Yankees" posts, which is nice :unsmith:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Dear Houston Astros,

Is it cool having Jose Altuve on your team? It seems like it would be cool to have him on your team.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

If it happens again I’m on the fire Roberts bandwagon

Sorry your team is stuck with a generational talent starting pitcher who made you win by a slightly smaller margin in your first game of the post season :(

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Just find it funny to kvetch that a starting pitcher wasn't pulled at the start of the seventh inning, facing the bottom of the lineup, when your team has a 5 run lead and the starter hasn't even reached 100 pitches :shrug:

But yeah nah I'm salty too so there's that

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Makes you wonder how many balls Altuve misses that a 2b of average height would have been able to reach.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I'm torn because on the one hand it's Hample. On the other hand, Bartmanning that ball would have hosed the Yankees, which I am strongly in favor of.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Rumor is that the Yankees are planning to hire Hample to coach their outfielders on how to best position themselves.

big if true :eyepop:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

bawfuls posted:

Turns out at least one Dodgers fan jumped in the pool last night before the cops got out there

https://twitter.com/la_dodgers_fans/status/917885504531480576

Kinda rude to have a pool there but not let anybody in it

Hope the D-Backs don't bean him :ohdear:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Pants making GBS threads is the new market inefficiency. Pretty soon pitchers are going to be suspended for testing positive for exlax.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Your Taint posted:

It would have been better if Strasburg had poo poo himself. :(

Verlander gorges himself on Taco Bell the night before every start, so there's still a chance we could see some post-season pants making GBS threads :pray:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
One more week of saying "gently caress the yankees" :unsmigghh:

America is counting on you Houston, godspeed.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

This is what happens when America cheers for the Yankees. They turn away from God's light and stop using decent biblical names like Michael and Deborah.

Don't support stupid baby names. gently caress the Yankess. Amen. :dings:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Bryce Harper is a clown who couldn't get a clutch hit if it was put on a tee in front of him, there's my hot take

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I don't really care who wins out of the Cubs and Dodgers, just so long as the winner soundly defeats the Yankees in case the Astros fail to do their one drat job.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

TMMadman posted:

I am sort of with you. I'm kind of torn about it, but at the same time how are you going to stop it?

Do you make a rule that says if you are sliding into a base and touch it before being tagged, you are invulnerable to being out for a second in case they pop off it? Do you just stop letting them review those kinds of plays? If you do that, then there is just going to be an uproar after every single blown call.

The basic rules of baseball are 'If you are touching the base you are safe' and that means that if you bounce off the bag for even a fraction of an inch while being tagged then you are out. And I'm just not sure how you get around that but I think the challenge system isn't bad because it means the coach will only look at those kind of tags in a place when it's really needed.

This is why I think we should have robo-umps, but calibrate them so they only make the obvious calls. Pitches more than two inches in or out of the zone get automatic ball/strike. Runners clearly tagged more than four inches off the bag are automatically out. Rather than use robo-umps to make every call, just have them make the calls which would be really egregious to have wrong. Let the meat-umps make the close calls and get rid of replay review.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
It hurts that we lost Verlander, but having him absolutely annihilate the Yankees in the ALCS makes it worth it :unsmith:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Just watched the condensed houston/yankees game, really impressed that Houston left verlander in the game with his pitch count as high as it was and especially after that runner got on first. Good to see the Houston staff has that much trust in him.

Go get your ring, JV, then come back to Detroit to retire :)

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I've never been super into the Astros but if they don't go on to the World Series I will be extremely distraught.

gently caress the Yankees for ever and more, amen

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Bip Roberts posted:

The Yankees would be cool if they played in Queens, were the Mets, and all had debilitating injuries from the Mets medical staff.

Hell, I'd settle for just the last part.

After Judge is traded to the Tigers for cash considerations, of course.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Reminder that the Cubs blew a 3-1 deficit

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Man this morning I can’t stop thinking about the dark period at the end of the McCourt years, when Kershaw was coming into his own, and how it seemed then like the Dodgers were going to end up wasting his career. I’m so happy he gets to pitch Game 1 of the World Series for this team.

I can't wait for post-season kersh to reemerge and flame out after 3 innings :getin:

Unless the Yankees get in then please throw perfect games Clayton

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Explosionface posted:

I still eagerly await the day we get our wish and Javy pitches/plays every position

Sorry, feats like that are reserved for elite players like Andrew Romine

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Dusty Baker + Mets medical staff is gonna result in some arms falling off mid pitch.

Somebody dig up Joel Zumaya

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Verlander trade completely worth it just to see him make the Yankees look like clowns in the ALCS.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
You want baseball to be shorter? Make the game six innings. There, I said it :colbert:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
What if instead of a clock for each pitch there was a clock for the entire plate appearance? Pitchers start with 2-4 minutes on the clock, get 10 extra seconds for each pitch thrown, and if time expires then it's an automatic walk.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
What if you added a second diamond to the field and had teams playing offense and defense at the same time? That should cut time in half, right?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

[Citation Needed]

You either like baseball or you don't. There is no large contingent of fans waiting in the wings to flood into the bleachers or start watching if the average length of a game drops by 45 minutes.

Keep in mind that MLB's problem is really about viewership rather than just the set number of people who care about baseball. I like baseball but don't watch very often just because its such a big time commitment to watch an entire game. If games were shorter it would be easier for me to justify sitting down to watch rather than thinking "I just got home from work, do I seriously want to be watching this game until literally 2 hours before I need to go to sleep?"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Rumor has it that Altuve does the same thing but he blends in with the little kids so well nobody notices. Any time you see an article about a really good little league player its actually Altuve.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
If the Dodgers win we need to take up a campaign for Puig to get a WS ring tattooed on his face.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I thought post season Kershaw was supposed to be bad. Have I... Have I been tricked by small sample size?!

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

bewbies posted:

god drat we have the most entertaining series matchup in years going on and all yall talk about is the fat kid

Do the truffle shuffle after hitting a dong

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I love that not only is there a wikipedia article on bat flipping, but 60% of the article is just about Jose Bautista :allears:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Benching is too good for Yuli, give him the chair imho

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I love that the image preview starts right at "focusing on anger." how the hell did twitter become the global platform for communicating poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I hope somebody talks Yuli into apologizing to Darvish in Japanese but also convinces him that the words for "I humbly apologize" are "ching chong wing wong."

• Locked thread