Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Go Cubs :krakentoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Your Taint posted:

Any news on Scherzer?

From what I'm seeing, the MRI confirmed a hamstring cramp, and they're hoping it won't affect the postseason rotation.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Poque posted:

Lackey, Wilson, Martín on the playoff roster for the Cubs. No Rondon, Uehara, Grimm.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

iospace posted:

Hot take: gently caress the Cubs.

There are some pretty attractive players on the team :wink:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Watch as a home run destroys your nachos

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I think in late January or early February. I'm pretty sure it's after the season pass holders pick out their seats (or keep the same ones as last year).

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Now part of me wants to see baseball played in the snow.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Mlb schedule is saying Roark vs Arietta. :ohdear:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I've never heard of Kars for Kids and I live in central IL

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Banter with a friend who's a Nats fan isn't as fun anymore because holy poo poo his fatalism is at extreme measures, and I'm a Cubs fan.

That said, I don't mind the Nats (gently caress Daniel Murphy though). I wanted a Cubs/Nats NLCS, but the cards didn't fall that way.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I'm hoping for a game tonight, but I'm kinda doubtful :ohdear:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Pancakes posted:

My Uncle Don showed me how to root for a baseball team the Right Way when I was 6 by turning on Ozzie Smith. That’ll teach my dad to have gone for a beer run. Plus I’ve had more Cubs fans try to fight me when they’re drunk than any other demographic in my life.

When I was in high school, my sisters and I were three of the five Cubs fans in the entire school, and the rest were Cardinals fans. I was a sophomore in 2003. Hoo boy all the poo poo I got from everyone the day after the Bartman catch.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Shout out to all the Cubs nerds on Red Line yesterday afternoon making my commute suck butts only to have their drunken revelry paused by rain. At least I'm going the opposite direction today.

My sister is really glad she can take the Purple line home now

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I'm imagining a wheel to spin as to why Strasberg isn't starting tonight

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

This is like some sort of Mets medical team bullshit.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I really liked A League of Their Own.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Cubs are good?

https://twitter.com/carriemuskat/status/919238074638278656

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I thought I'd be okay this postseason since the Cubs finally got a WS championship under their belt, but holy poo poo am I nervous again this time around.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Pancakes posted:

I've updated the Toxx thread through the NLCS Game 1. Goons have raised over $1,800 for charities this postseason so far, including over $1,200 for Puerto Rico relief. I'll note that for all we like to talk about their giant payrolls, there are very few Toxx pledges related to the Yankees and none related to the Dodgers. :colbert:

Mine will kick in when the Dodgers beat the Cubs

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Is it 4:30 yet? I’m bored and need more baseball now

What are you talking about? It's 5:30 over here! :v:

Here's the GDT for tonight's game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I just want the cubs to win one game so i don't have to buy a stupid dodgers avatar

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Could a chicagoon get me one? Thanks in advance

Also, CTA replied with this, but I still think this year's is accurate :v:

https://twitter.com/cta/status/920415027433263106

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

New NLCS GDT thread, but I'm a dumbass and forgot to make the thread tag "MLB"

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

You're wonderful

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Its really frustrating when your team does well in the regular season only to crash and burn as soon as the weather turns cold. At least the Cubs were able to come back from the dead last year.

Alternatively, find wherever the hell Szczur bounced off to and steal his bat.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It's also like 60 degrees at night in Chicago right now.

I find this odd because usually it's loving cold this time of year compared to downstate where I am. But I do admit Illinois is in that drunk weather pattern where it's 40 in the morning and close to 80 in the afternoon.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I'm gonna hang onto the theory that the Cubs took the EYBS powers from the Giants when they beat them last year.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Der Meister posted:

What happened?

Granderson whiffed the ball, but Contreras dropped it. It was called strike 3. Granderson threw a hissy and said he foul tipped it. Dodgers manager came out and complained too. Home plate ump first said it was not up for review (which is true) but then had a conference with the other umps. 3rd base ump overturned it for reasons. Maddon then came out and was like "wtf that's not supposed to be reviewed, look at the loving video on the scoreboard that's showing that he missed it, why the gently caress would you even overturn on a call that can't be overturned anyway" He got ejected. Granderson struck out on the next pitch anyway.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

aaaahahhaha who the gently caress bought me an avatar? It's great

Sydin posted:

Roberts comes out of the dugout to argue balls and strikes, somehow not only doesn't get ejected, but gets an illegal review that determines a clear swinging strike three was a foul tip. Maddon then comes out of the dugout and gets ejected for arguing balls and strikes, even though all he was doing was pointing out that you can't review balls and strikes.

Okay MLB :thumbsup:

:downsbravo: umpires

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

iospace posted:

I think the only pitch you can review is if it hits the batter or not

And yet that didn't happen when RIzzo got HBP and they called it strike 3 anyway because he swung.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

No clue, but if whiffing the ball can be a foul tip, I'm not sure of anything anymore.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Intruder posted:

The Astros could be record breakers this series

https://twitter.com/based_ball/status/920813280720953345

On one hand, I want to see this happen. On the other hand, I wanna see someone eat that 70s food nightmare.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I've never been to shake shack

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

The one time I went to in-and-out I was a bit disappointed. The milkshake was pretty good though.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

New GDT thread for those who wanna see 10+ pages of Cubsposting.

Who I'd like to see win the WS (does not reflect what will actually happen)
1. Cubs
2: Astros? (only for the :toxx: kitchen nightmare someone's got going on)
3. :thunk:
4. :thunk:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

My Cubs are dead and I want blood. Or beer. I'll take both.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Still an extremely successful season for the Cubs. Three straight NLCS appearances is nothing to sneeze at, especially when one of those ended with a championship.

Off-season priorities:
    1. A starter to replace Arrieta, which might end up being Arrieta himself. Darvish or Tanaka (assuming he opts out) maybe?
    2. Bullpen help. Easily the worst part of the Cubs this season.
    3. Get some rest. They played into November last year and spent all off-season on a media tour.

Congrats Dodger fans! Unless the Astros pull a comeback, I'll be rooting for you in the WS.

I agree with all 3 of your points. I mean, poo poo, the WBC was also last year and that ate into spring training, which would be okay, but a 4 month media tour on top of that, and then spring training rolling into the regular season will leave anyone gassed. I will say that maybe also some outfield defense could use some work too. Heyward is a great RF player, and Almora + Jay can cover CF, but LF is a gamble. And I think Jay is only on a 1 year contract.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Someone on my Facebook feed stated that she hates the Cubs more than her cancer. Now I don't know about you guys, but maybe, juuuust maybe I think I'd pick the rival baseball team if given the choice.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Poque posted:

Is she a Cubs fan?

No

Dexo posted:

I understand the allure of rooting for the Yankees

If I can't be happy then I want everyone else to wallow in misery with me.

That's why I was saying I'm gonna root for the Yankees out of pure spite last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

They push the local news back for awards shows, but somehow that's not acceptable for baseball. :thunk:

EDIT!: Oh, and the Super Bowl too. Gotta have the news start at midnight for that.

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread