Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hm, go Yankees

I'm nervous about the wild card game because anything can happen in one game, it's always hold on to your butts time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I got a thumbs down shirt for 10 bucks, very excited to wear it for all of October or retire it immediately depending on how tomorrow goes

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

is no one else super nervous for their team? even the division winners who are guaranteed to play three??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm just so happy my baseball kids made the ALDS, hopefully we can make Cleveland sweat

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/yankees/status/915951257952690176

I love the pettiness of the official Yankees twitter

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Jose Ramirez came in with the chaos dunk for no reason, it was really good

https://twitter.com/arigilberg/status/916016274651668480

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inspector_666 posted:

Bauer has been pretty good in the second half, and he shut down the Yankees pretty hard the last two times they faced each other. I never thought this was gonna be the cakewalk people were making it out to be.

Also jeez he was on tonight.

Bigger problem is Gray's newfound penchant for walking everybody.

Gray's walk rate actually up by nearly a batter once he got traded. Obviously, it's a small sample size, but I think getting to know a new catching system makes that kind of adjustment hard. I wonder if this is true of elite command pitchers that get traded at midseason broadly.

specific to Gray, he went nine days between starts when he got dealt, then pitched on a week's rest. It wasn't until August 10th that he was back on a regular pitching schedule. so while it's probably small sample noise, there's a definite chance that Gray's timing has been thrown out of whack due to the trade (he only walked fewer than two batters in two of his 11 starts, compared to six such starts in the 16 he made for Oakland)

tl;dr: Gray's command is probably a blip on the radar, but there are factors that could contribute to his command getting a touch sloppier

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

how I, a Yanks fan feel about this game:

https://twitter.com/daringantt/status/916489424766160896

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If the Yanks lose on Sunday, go the drat Astros. Make that SI cover come true

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Jack Curry had the best take on it

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/916529845185794048

this easily will stick with Girardi for the rest of his career, if he continues with the Yankees or not. It's insane mostly because the Wild Card game was one of the best managed games he put together

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

gently caress Zach Hample

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Masahiro Tanaka pitched the game of his life to keep us in it. if that's the last game he pitches as a Yankee then that's one hell of a sendoff

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the goddamn Yankees fought all the way back

please win on Wednesday, i don't want this to end just yet

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm trying not to lose my mind waiting for Game 5, I just hope the Yanks don't get brutalized by Kluber

that said, win or lose I couldn't be prouder of this team

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I hope Strasburg doesn't poop himself on the bump

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ego symphonic posted:

It is a mark of my desperation that I would totally be okay with the Nationals signature moment as a franchise being The Pants-making GBS threads Game if it meant that they advanced out of the DS for once.

All it took for Strasburg to reach a different plane of existence was voiding himself on the biggest stage

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I liked it more when we were talking about the potential for a poop game

if the Yanks advance to face Houston, I really hope Gray has his command figured out otherwise it'll be a winter of hot takes for him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

In a rebuilding/transition/whatever season the Yankees made the ALCS

I don't care if we win or lose, I'm just so happy that this team never gave up

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

A-Rod's description of Didi Gregorius: "beautiful hands, super intelligent, looks really good without a shirt"

he's very good at this baseball analyst thing

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Grittybeard posted:

If 100+ million of that is tied up in bad contracts I get it, but aren't most of those gone now?

Or maybe they'll be gone this off season.

the Yanks have 21 million they're still paying to A-Rod, and their worst contracts are Ellsbury and Chapman. They're both over 20 million next season. I imagine that they're going to try and get out from under it somehow. The only raise I see someone getting is Tanaka since he's due to opt out after the season. I figure they're going to try and re-sign CC to a 15-17 million one year deal

every core player is either in pre-arb or in their arbitration stages; they're in position to be really good for a long, long, long time if it all goes well

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ALCS Pitching Announcements:

Game 1: Keuchel - Tanaka
Game 2: Verlander - Severino
Game 3: TBA - Gray
Game 4: TBA - Sabathia

order is reversed, Gray is going in Game 4 and CC in Game 3

Keuchel/Verlander is a really tough assignment, if we split I think we've got a shot

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

truth be told, even if we get killed in a sweep or five games by Houston, I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way. Likable group, plus their city needs a win like this

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so did Joe Maddon suffer a traumatic brain injury? All those years of him in the AL East outsmarting everyone and he brings in John Lackey in a key situation lmaooo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

is it folly for Houston to not go with Keuchel on short rest? might as well put the boot on the throat and he'd be back on regular rest for the World Series

Sonny Gray needs to have the game of the season so the Yanks can tie this series up

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

R.D. Mangles posted:

i think every baseball fan, regardless of team, can agree: gently caress to john lackey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP2FEOjadZ8&t=605s

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, maybe I was overthinking it a little too much. just happy we managed to make it a series again. but i stand by my saying that Sonny Gray needs a great game tomorrow to keep the momentum moving

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

East coast best coast, but man the west coast was really nice. I actually felt productive when I was out there this summer, like we'd be back by 7 PST and there still felt like there was a lot of day left to do stuff.

but the east coast is still the best

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

TMMadman posted:

Maybe it felt like you had a lot of day left at 7PST because it was summer when it doesn't usually get dark until after 8.

:thunk:

this is probably true

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The goddamn Yankees :swoon:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

You trade a pitcher coming of off TJ who has proven not to be able to stay healthy 10 out of 10 times. The chances of a guy like that having a long major league career are very low. Mateo Fowler and Rutherford were on the Yankee top 10 lists but they aren't like top 100 prospects in baseball who could become stars. I think both those trades were no brainers no matter who else they had coming.

Huh? Mateo and Kaprielian were 85 and 87 respectively coming into the season. they're clearly talented as hell, but the combination of performance and injury made them expendable, as well as the presence of Sheffield and Frazier. by no means was it a no-brainer, but I suppose I'm rating our former prospects highly. Mateo and Fowler will both likely be MLB players next year. definitely a trade you make but it wasn't something that was super obvious to do

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

lol as if the Dodgers wouldn’t steamroll the Yanks, they’re too good imo

I’ll be happy if we make the World Series at all honestly, still have to try and survive the buzzsaws that are Keuchel and Verlander

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Intruder posted:

Lunch giving me bad omens

yes, 99 is gonna give somebody the runs

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

eh, I think it's squarely in toss-up territory. we've managed to shut down the Astros so far outside of Correa and Altuve but I don't know how much longer that will continue. Keuchel figures to be on his A game with the risk of going down a game and having to win two in Houston to survive and advance

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how fans of both sides are going through all the reasons why their respective team will definitely lose :v:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

one game away from the World Series! can't say I expected that at the beginning of the season

just gotta beat Verlander somehow

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

this is my favorite Yankee team ever. The 2009 team was cool, but it was another generation's team. this is the first one that feels like I've been a part of since the very very beginning

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Cubs are... alive?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

beejay posted:

Why would Granderson even think to say he fouled it? I just don't get it.

veteran savvy!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Intruder posted:

Someone from each remaining team should enter into a tontine with me, winning team's fan eats it

Yeah but what’s the prize? Surviving? That’s no fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the 2010 Yankees went back to the LCS after winning the World Series the previous year, they just lost in 6 to the Rangers

man, getting EYBS'd would have been something

• Locked thread