Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's really cool, despite the fact that I'm angry they named their kid Zion Zobrist.

If that kid doesn't have the nickname "ZZ Top" then I'm disappointed in Chicago as a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

humpthewind posted:

I agree altuve should probably win MVP but I think the voters are going to have a hard time voting against dingers.

See also: Ryan Howard v. Albert Pujols

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Thoughts on the Clemente Award? I'm hoping for Wainwright, Cano or Hamels but I'm always super biased in Waino's favor.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Is it possible for Jon Jay and Javy to win but the rest of the Cubs to lose? Because that's my ideal universe.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
6-minute video so I don't expect many people to watch it, but Adam Wainwright talking about the charity work he does earlier this year. Dude's a really, really nice guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZC01k7yys

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Seems unlikely that the Yankees would do well in a 5 or 7 game series if their starters continue to go 1/3 of an inning per outing.

Let's not forget postseason legend Jaime Garcia waiting in the wings.

:barf:

(It is a 2015 reference)

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rosenthal's articles are behind a paywall now, but apparently he's reporting that other teams are under investigation for the same stuff the Braves did (like agreeing to sign foreign prospects before they turn 16). :munch:

If the Cardinals aren't implicated I'll be shocked.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

howe_sam posted:

Matt Holliday still hasn't touched home plate.

Somehow having him touch home plate to beat the Rockies is the only acceptable reason to root for the Yankees.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Carlosologist posted:

Jose Ramirez came in with the chaos dunk for no reason, it was really good

https://twitter.com/arigilberg/status/916016274651668480

Yep, rooting for Jose Ramirez now.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Tormund really hated that baseball. Did he think it was a loving Crow or something?

E: gently caress, not the GDT. Sorry.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cubs still not starting Jon Jay. Booooooo

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Oh my god, I went into Blade Runner 2049 just after Turner stranded the bases loaded and came back to THAT?!?!?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Infidel Castro posted:

Which one? There's so many to choose from.

Maybe Kevlar should be the Andy Samberg lookin dude and Poque should be the gently caress YOU guy.

They're both way too thin to be gently caress YOU guy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Trib fluff piece about Jon Jay.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-john-jay-cubs-spt-0908-20171007-story.html

V: Jon Jay is cool and good.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
So Cubs posters: Jon Jay worth bringing back again next year or does he get a "we like you but Happ and Almora make you unnecessary" speech?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I don't know if Kars for Kids is just a Chicagoland thing or not. If I told the thread that Peter Francis Geraci told his entire firm that they needed to be more like Anthony Rizzo during his leadoff hitter stint would that make anyone's day?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CubsWoo posted:

It's mostly in big cities and areas with large Jewish populations since the charity is focused on Jewish families but I've heard radio ads for it during college/pro sports in Georgia.

I never heard it in downstate Illinois, Providence or St. Louis, but then again I never really watched that much TV on TV until I moved to Chicago.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I wish there were more too, it's more fun when there's healthy posting on both sides. I don't know if it would exacerbate the Cubs Fatalism Echo Chamber though.

My only issue with the Nats is Murphy, everybody else on the squad seems fun.

I’d say next time let the Cards into the postseason, but you know I’ll be posting nonstop regardless of the teams playing.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Love Jon Jay, hate Jake Arrieta. Rooting for a rainout and Hendricks start so I can be less ambiguous in my rooting.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

There was a nice moment before the game where Jon Jay was looking for somebody in the bleachers to toss a ball to, he identified a kid, pointed to him, threw it perfectly to him, kid caught it and nobody tried to Hample it away. :kimchi:

Jon Jay is great at fan interaction. Before game 4 of the 2015 NLDS he was sitting on top of the Cards dugout and played peekaboo with some shy kids in Cubs gear. There’s also the time he stayed after a rehab start in AAA to give an autograph to literally every fan who wanted one. Jon Jay is the best and I miss him, but I’m glad he’s getting to play in October.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress man. You've lived in Chicago too long and you've become a Cubs fan.

Them’s fightin’ words. I just hate Daniel Murphy and Jake Arrieta but like Jon Jay, my dad and several of the Cubs posters. I’m actively rooting against the Cubs if they make it past this round. Acceptable?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Just accept it, you know in your heart the Cubs have always been your team.

My Uncle Don showed me how to root for a baseball team the Right Way when I was 6 by turning on Ozzie Smith. That’ll teach my dad to have gone for a beer run. Plus I’ve had more Cubs fans try to fight me when they’re drunk than any other demographic in my life.

Dexo posted:

So since Arrieta is gonna be somewhere else next year can I just go ahead and pencil you in for the Baez shirsey?

Nope. Only jersey I wear is my Curt Flood jersey. If my girlfriend and I end up getting White Sox season tickets next year I might add a Buck Weaver jersey.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

When I was in high school, my sisters and I were three of the five Cubs fans in the entire school, and the rest were Cardinals fans. I was a sophomore in 2003. Hoo boy all the poo poo I got from everyone the day after the Bartman catch.

I was a Cardinals fan living in Providence in 2004. Literally saw Red Sox fans burning Pujols in effigy. I’m also a decently big, perpetually sober guy who keeps getting challenged to fights by drunk Cubs fans. I really think winning when your fandom’s identity is built around perpetual loss breaks something in a lot of people’s brains.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Really want to bring a sign tomorrow that says "You say it's moldy, but I think it's just Dusty"

If you do this I might partially forgive you for not taking a "Grab 'em by the Posey" sign to any NLDS games last year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Still rooting for Oquendo’s ugly mug to get a shot somewhere.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Guess I’m on the Houston bandwagon now, because

gently caress

the

Yankees.

(also get that ring AltuveBeltran)

I was always on the Houston bandwagon for the AL since McHugh and Altuve, but your post needed some careful adjusting.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

Beltran's hall of fame case: a chance or no chance?

I feel like he was criminally underrated defensively when he was younger (maddeningly so around here). He doesn't hit any of the magic numbers that voters love, although 1500 runs and 1500 rbis seems quite good but too esoteric to matter. He was generally a decently above average hitter but never truly hit the cover off the ball, and his best offensive years mostly came with not-great Mets teams. So New York bump I guess, but with the wrong franchise.

I think Beltran obviously belongs in the Hall, but then again I thought Jim Edmonds deserved serious consideration, not a one-and-done vote at something like 2.5%, so my take varies greatly from the voters’.

PS - Alan Trammel should’ve been in and shame on the whole goddamn Hall for failing to vote for him.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

mcmagic posted:

The Astros are dumb and if they win it's validation for their tanking 6 years in a row. Also Keuchel's beard is awful.

I mean, the Cubs tanked for all those years and were validated with a Series. I mean, I hope that was tanking. Please don’t tell me they were actually trying from 2009-2014.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yes, the only good teams are teams that are always good i.e. the yankees

I can see why the Cardinals wouldn’t make this list, they did have that one losing season in 2007.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

Kershaw v Lackey NLCS game 1, but somehow Lackey goes 6 scoreless innings

2015 NLDS Game 1 Lackey was untouchable to such a degree that some Cubs poster was posting every out about how far away he was from a no-hitter and then from a shutout.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

If I am on first, I would be expecting a snap throw from Contreras and Yadi on every single pitch. That shouldn't be a deep cut scouting report fact.

Yadi’s had to adapt to people being paranoid about him. His new thing is snap-throwing to third.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It stinks. It's great if you're a kid, sure, but it's downright painful to watch as an adult. Bad News Bears (either version) is the superior "kids play baseball" movie.

You’re KILLING me, Smalls. That being said...

Intruder posted:

The Sandlot is not only the best kids baseball movie ever but also the best baseball movie in general

Respectfully disagree, I prefer Bull Durham and Field of Dreams.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Zigmidge posted:

Deep Space 9's Take Me Out To the Holosuite is also up there in the annals of good baseball things.

If TV is in play then Homer at the Bat changes the rankings immediately .

Pitt. The. Elder!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

The Dodgers are clearly going to be over rested for the NLCS and the Cubs fresh off the NLDS will be firing on all cylinders!

You laugh, but the 2006 WS looms.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Intruder posted:

So explain to me

The progression was the following

Major League - Reach the playoffs
Major League 2 - Reach the World Series
Major League 3 - Back the the minors? :wtf:

(I never watched Major League 3 btw)

Sounds like the Royals' recent seasons, honestly.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Let's not ascribe too much to managers, Mike Matheny won 20 postseason games his first 3 years as a manager.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Teams from the 4 most populous cities in the country are the only teams left. gently caress you, small markets.

So if I’m hearing you right, the Cardinals deserve their competitive balance picks?

Sydin posted:

Also the Cubs are now without Dexter ".375/.423/.458 lifetime vs Kershaw" Fowler, who was a very important table setter in the NLCS Game 6

Although they absolutely didn’t deserve to make the postseason this year, Carp and Dex in the same lineup in October probably could have given Kershaw night terrors.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I've updated the Toxx thread through the NLCS Game 1. Goons have raised over $1,800 for charities this postseason so far, including over $1,200 for Puerto Rico relief. I'll note that for all we like to talk about their giant payrolls, there are very few Toxx pledges related to the Yankees and none related to the Dodgers. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kirios posted:

From all accounts Verlander absolutely loves it here and has bonded with the team immediately, especially Keuchel.

Thanks Detroit!

I had no strong opinions about Verlander as a person but reading that article and hearing that he likes the other guys in Houston makes me like him. He's got an argument for the Hall if he keep at it for another 4-5 years, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I do love that the article uses Gibson as the gold standard for postseason pitching dominance. I'm obviously biased, but the man was insane in the Series. Pitched in 3 WS, 81 IP, 27 each year. 0.889 WHIP and 92 K vs. 17 BB. 1.89 ERA against the 1964 Yankees, 1967 Red Sox and 1968 Tigers.

• Locked thread