Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

gently caress the Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely ridiculous. If I hadn't already bought the tickets I wouldn't even consider it. And I'll only be skipping a single class, think of all the folks who bought tickets and will have to try and weasel their way out of work.

Heading to stubhub as we speak

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Remember the little girl who got drilled with the foul ball?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/sports/baseball/yankee-stadium-netting-foul-ball.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=1

quote:

In his recollection of the episode, the father, Geoffrey Jacobson, described the horror of walking into a hospital room to find his daughter, who will turn 2 this week, connected to tubes and machines. Her eyes were swollen shut, she had multiple facial fractures — including those of her orbital bone and nose — and doctors were monitoring the bleeding on her brain, fearing that it might lead to seizures.

And on her forehead, he said, was an imprint left by the stitches of the baseball that hit her.

:stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't know anything other than what's in the story. They still don't know if she'll need facial surgery or if her vision will ever recover

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

presumptive MVP.

Nah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Sorry Cleveland fans, looks like you guys are hosed this year

https://twitter.com/usatodaysports/status/914921736398888963

I don't think I'd even bother watching a Boston/LA World Series

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

patonthebach posted:

They seem the most complete team second to only the Cleveland team in the AL. I like their rotation over yankees/twins/astros.

The Astros have a really strong rotation if McCullers can find his old form. Unfortunately his final start of the season didn't show that. Still, Verlander/Keuchel is as potent a top 2 as anyone, especially the way Verlander has pitched in the last three months

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't know, Peacock AND Morton in the rotation makes me nervous since both have a tendency to run up huge pitch counts

I'd honestly be cool with them sharing starts, 4 IP for Peacock and 4 IP for Morton

So maybe Verlander, Keuchel, Peacock/Morton, McHugh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Astros will start Keuchel in Game 2. Verlander vs Sale in Game 1, I am extremely pumped for this game :getin:

I'd be more pumped if it wasn't a loving day game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Joba Chamberlain has officially retired on the 10 year anniversary of the midge game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Dear Houston Astros,

Is it cool having Jose Altuve on your team? It seems like it would be cool to have him on your team.

Having Altuve is wonderful, especially for the paltry $4.5m, $6m and $6.5m he made this year and will be making over the next two. Unfortunately he hired Boras so... :ohdear:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red Sox and Yankees managers both managing themselves out of a job in the same postseason would sure be something

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Normally I'd say I'm glad the Yankees are a clownshow but the Indians loving terrify me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So there's been one non-laugher of a game in the divisional playoffs so far, and it probably would have been a laugher if Girardi weren't a tool

lol

e: awwww poo poo son

Hitting coach Alonso Powell, who spent time in Japan with Ichiro, said of Altuve posted:

I know Ichiro well, and I never thought I'd say that I would see a better hitter than Ichiro. But three months into the season last year, I made that concession.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 7, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The bats aren't the thing about the Indians that terrifies me regardless

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Good morning SAS here is some more hype Puig to start your day

https://twitter.com/iiichainzz/status/916500174058303489

Puig is almost as likable as Altuve

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Taylor can't get a ring either

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Getting shut down by Doug Fister tomorrow would be such an Astros thing. I really just want them to not have to use Verlander in a game 5 so he's ready to go for the ALCS

e: Also getting in a situation where you have to beat Sale again would be scary. Just finish the sweep plz tia

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 7, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bump_fn posted:

Hahahahhahahahajjajaa lol at thinking this could happen

This game hurt me badly

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU200608160.shtml

e: lol I'm still shook by a game that happened 11 years ago

Intruder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Andy Pettitte lost a complete game in which he gave up 1 run against a guy making his MLB debut who made two total starts before disappearing into the aether while they were in the thick of a playoff hunt and the team finished 1.5 games back of the division

(the NL Central was so bad that year)

e: also look at these poser Astros fans who don't remember single games from 11 years ago :smug:

God I can't believe we didn't win a championship with either our Johnson/Hampton/Reynolds rotation or our Oswalt/Clemens/Pettitte rotation. :(

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 7, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Explosionface posted:

"That sounds like the Ryan O'Malley game. Oh, it is"

That game owned.

I super-hated that game and it sucked

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Not sure what this is about unless you're a salty Dbacks fan

In other news, Puig batting 8th tonight while Kike bats 5th...don't really get it

God that's an unfortunate name to have to type

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I’m never going to mention him without including his last name again, yeah

He used to be on my team so I know how you feel

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Couldn't win the Doug Fister start

:sad:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I was at a concert following the game on my phone tonight and a tear literally rolled down my cheek when I saw "In play, out(s)" come up.

Also, every face better than the last:

Hello there bottom left :quagmire:

I'm the dude with the glasses who's trying to catch the ball the way you'd collect water to drink

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm the scrawny pale guy in the Yankees wetsuit that's too busy plotting the deaths of everyone around him to care about the fact that a great play has been made directly in front of him.

I changed my mind, I'm the guy who looks like he might be livestreaming the play but looking at the phone it also looks like maybe a football game is on

Morton vs Porcello today, I'm terrified. I don't think we beat Sale again if it comes to it. And even if we do I really don't want to use Verlander again this series

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 9, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I was at a game he was at, and I watched him climb onto the wall next to the Yankee's bullpen, scamper down the netting and grab a ball out of midair that the bullpen catcher had thrown to a girl who he had specifically pointed out. Everybody looked in disgust as he did it then literally ran away. The catcher looked like he wanted to climb up and fight him

I didn't realize it was Hample until later when I saw that he had been at the game. Also the girl got a ball a minute later, it was placed into her mitt around the end of the fence to eliminate any chance of another Hampleing.

That's atrocious. I've seen people on twitter defend him saying he gives most of the balls he gets away to kids too

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Would you have a ground rule where the ball is live if you reach into the snowbank, you have to call time?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Go Yankees IMO

god if they hadn't blown game 2

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We all "lol Hinch"ed when Verlander gave up the HR but it actually worked out, Keuchel can go game 1 on extra rest and Verlander game 2 on normal rest

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Except for using Verlander and ensuring a Keuchel game 1 start

Verlander still gets game 2 on normal rest so :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

By the way Astros fans, Grant Brisbee wrote an article about your team. It's pretty good and you should read it.

I shall, thank you for this

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I feel ok with Verlander regardless, he's been a boss

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Should pay attention to his studies IMO

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/astros/status/917504561912442880

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Way more respectful than kneeling during the anthem

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

I just wanna remind all the Houston fans of the terrible curse they've brought on themselves hoping they'd get to play the Yankees in the ALCS.

Ya'll hosed

Sure, the Yankees absolutely could win the series, but the Indians god drat terrified me so I'm not going to do some hindsight "I wish we had played Cleveland" thing if that happens

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

But if the Indians are so terrifying and the Yankees just beat, them what does that make the Yankees?

Also I hope you guys win, the Astros are a super fun team and Altuve definitely deserves a ring if the Cubs don't make it.

It makes them a team that played better in a five game stretch, which happens in baseball :shrug:

The combination of the Indians starting pitching and bullpen is legit scary. The Yankees have a good bullpen too but their starting pitching isn't (in theory) on the same level as Cleveland

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This is a controversial opinion but I hope the Houston Astros win the World Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bump_fn posted:

i still don't understand how boston beat yankees in the division

my theory is that it was a deep state plan cause the story would be better if the yankees won the WC and then beat the favored indians

Red Sox:
22-19 in one run games, 15-3 in extra innings

Yankees:
18-26 in one run games, 5-6 in extra innings

That's really the only thing I can think of but it doesn't really close such a huge gap in total run differential as far as I know (+198 for the Yankees, +117 for the Red Sox) :shrug:

• Locked thread